• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I will truly feel sorry for Dent if the XB1 releases with all these problems. He is totally going to look like an ass.

shem935

Banned
Connectivity issues... with voip

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
"Maybe it will work at launch, maybe it wont."

FFS. Megaton? More like meganone.
Mort likes to hedge his bets in his read of the rumors he relays (and inject a bit of optimism too), but the actual info he relayed from those sources is a lot more significant than his own take.

Boke1879

Proelite, Thuway, CBOAT. Just release the floodgates. There are people about to drop 500 bucks on this thing. They have a right to know if launch day and months after this thing will still be a broken mess.

After reading that, what I get out of it is that pretty much every basic function for online play in this day and age is broken.

Try making a friends list? Broken.
Try inviting friends to a party? Broken.
Try joining game? Failed.
Playing game just fine? Dropped.

Improvements coming in at a snails pace to the point it can take months to get shit working as it should. Say it's a big deal or not but I predict a lot of pissed off people and a nightmare for MS customer service incoming.

Seriously, people not being able to party up with their friends and join COD and BF4 games without a barrage of problems isn't a "pfft, whatever" problem.

Quasar

Weird given MS runs at least two voip systems (Skype and Lync). Hell under the hood I'm kind of surprised xbl doesn't use tech from one of those.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ULJ7N2H.png

Shots fired. CBOAT you need to defend your honor. You have my sword.

iEyWHfj.png

Its not a huge issue to you that you will have connectivity issues in multiplayer games for months after launch?

It isn't. I have a PS4/PS+ for multiplayer. As I already said I'm not paying for XBLG. The only things I have lined up for my Xbox One are Ryse (I'm a sucker for singleplayer hack and slash games) and Crimson Dragon. The former comes on a disc and as long as I can download the latter I couldn't care less.

B.O.O.M

ULJ7N2H.png

Shots fired. CBOAT you need to defend your honor. You have my sword.

Absolutely no reason to. Kevindent is way beneath the boat for him to even bother. People like him and Geis are useless as they come

OT: I can't believe people think this is not a big issue if true :S Sounds like a really bad situation for early buyers. Hope they get it fixed for launch

and I guess this is what Proelite was saying too

Omega

Banned
Online play isn't broken, parties are. A lot of people seem to be missing this.

well considering people pay $60 a year for party chat and the privilege to play a game they already bought, I'd say it's still a big deal.

They want to charge people for something, they had eight years since the 360 launched and their online infrastructure doesn't even work. I don't see how this is something you can just shrug off. It's kind of embarrassing and I'm kind of glad I decided to wait a year on the Xbone.

I can deal with 720p. Paying for shit that doesn't even work? That's a different story

I find this really hard to believe. Not because I don't trust Mortimer but because I just can't see how MS could fuck up something so badly that they had right before. What the hell is going on over there?!

@atPeteDodd @bessy67 you, cboat and all the other insiders HATE ms and xbox. we all know this. it's why you pushed ps4 so hard.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

For some reason, the fact that this dude and the other popular dude (who's getting followers because of his stalwart defense) calling cboat a fanboy, even though he just spills it like it is, just has my sides in tears.

Like, there are people who sit on the computer and type out defense after defense on Twitter and "army up", and this guy's comment took the cake for me.

Fuck.

Wurdfurd

i've played on both extensively, never saw xbl as having a significant advantage. maybe at the beginning of current gen, but definitely not now/

Beginning of gen was so obvious because of xbox players being wired, and ps3 players primarily using garbage, packet losing, wifi.

As the generation went on and 360 got wifi, that playing field leveled.

From my countless hours of multiplayer on both consoles, Xbox Live is simply more reliable and lower latency overall. PSN has its moments of greatness, but the majority of games played are laggy garbage.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

You do realize that's all game side code, right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The surprise from some devs ( I say some because I haven't talked to 10000 of them) is that they can't believe MSFT is having these kinds of issues with their SW.

MSFT is a SW company!

PBY

Banned
Man. I hate threads like this. Just rumors and whispers and rumors that build into a frenzy of nonsense.

This could be bad. Or not. We don't know. Why don't we wait and see what the initial hands on say?

This is someone who has a ps4 preordered, not an Xbone. I just like to deal in fact, not crazy message board conspiracy and twitter rumors.

Sotha_Sil

I have a really hard time accepting this as true. Months to sort out things that should be seen as elementary and would have been the first things worked on?

This will be a big deal if XBL is not up to snuff on launch. A less than stellar online experience will be far noticeable to the average buyer

And what's with all that hate for mort? Proelite was the first to leak this

M_A_C

I'm having a hard time believing this honestly, or that it's that bad at least. Mort's been desperate for attention and validation lately and it could lead to poor judgement on some of these source's reports.

I agree, I can't believe they would make it like PS3 so devs have to come up with their own VOIP solutions. That can't be true. I thought Skype was going to do all of that.

Anonumos

Banned
Its not a huge issue to you that you will have connectivity issues in multiplayer games for months after launch?

Stop repeating this shit. This is how rumors get started and soon this thread will be locked. This isn't about multiplayer. Go re-read the OP.

On topic, the smart-glass stuff is pretty damning. MS was CLEARLY not ready to go this year. It's so painfully obvious.

Smokey

Proelite, Thuway, CBOAT. Just release the floodgates. There are people about to drop 500 bucks on this thing. They have a right to know if launch day and months after this thing will still be a broken mess.

Kind of feel the same way, but they can't for obvious reasons..

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Here you go.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

The past few weeks on gaming sites and forums have been incredibly unejoyable. Everything being a "megaton" news story is so tiring. The reactions are almost always made before knowing the full story (read: the truth) and almost always completely ridiculous. People spend too much time on this forum and not enough time gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom