• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
what, there's like a month to fix software problems

But what about the Yield problems? The SDK problems? the immature development tools problems?

A 4 to 5 month delay would not hurt them much in the long run if it means launching with a better (not broken service) and in more countries.

Vizzeh

Banned
Also makes sense that Arthur Gies was saying about only current gen and ps4 review of ac4 will be out and only ps4 over the coming weeks

He prob cant get a system

Corto

What a nightmare. Live/Online being borked would greatly damage third parties (Titanfall specially being it a multiplayer only game) and customers alike. Compensation/devolutions in mass if this turns out to be true. Microsoft must deny this shit before it turns viral/toxic. If true then delay.

Id say more than a billion dollars is a hell of a cost to pay:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ed_ring_of_death_costs_Microsoft_more_than_1B

The price of a fault OS and Live that does not function well for weeks or even months would cost them in mindshare, people are already very negative towards their console. Any bad news is magnified by several times.
Yep. Xbox Live is basically one of MS's trump cards, if they lose the trust consumers have in that, well, it won't be pretty.

They'd most likely lose the CoD/etc crowd and that would be huge

Ark

This should be in the OP.

But what about the Yield problems? The SDK problems? the immature development tools problems?

A 4 to 5 month delay would not hurt them much in the long run if it means launching with a better (not broken service) and in more countries.

It would be a monumental waste of money if they did that. Even for Microsoft, that would be a huge blow they could do without taking.

LCfiner

What a nightmare. Live/Online being borked would greatly damage third parties (Titanfall specially being it a multiplayer only game) and customers alike. Compensation/devolutions in mass if this turns out to be true. Microsoft must deny this shit before it turns viral/toxic. If true then delay.

Even a pessimistic view of the timeframe needed to fix the problems would have them fixed before next spring.

This is more of an issue for launch games. If Cod and BF4 have connection issues (as would seemingly all Xbone multiplayer games)… hoo boy.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why not ? It could be done if you write the entire OS to do so.

I strongly suppose that there is a very good reason to not just implement WinRT on top of a game-centric OS, namely to decouple the development of Xbox and Windows 8. The XBO can presumably be fitted with a largely unmodified variant of Windows 8, which is concurrently developed by another team at Microsoft as part of the Windows 8 ecosystem.

You're being too dramatic. A delay would hurt them even more and the reasons why are obvious.

They need to make sure that gamers can get online, get into partys and play games without being dropped and do it by Nov 22nd. A tall order? By the sound of it, maybe but they've got a month to figure it out.

They don't have the option to just give Sony 5 months. If they do that they'll be playing catch up for the whole gen. It's do or die at this point.

KMS

So the api for connectivity and voip aren't strictly standardized making any big tweaks or changes in the OS break a random amount of games depending on how the devs chose to implement them?

Toki767

They don't have the option to just give Sony 5 months. If they do that they'll be playing catch up for the whole gen. It's do or die at this point.

I don't know...I think in 5 months they could do a whole rebrand/relaunch surrounding Titanfall at $400 without Kinect. They might miss out on this holiday's sales but I don't think the PS4 is going to get such an unsurmountable lead off 5 months.

I don't know...I think in 5 months they could do a whole rebrand/relaunch surrounding Titanfall at $400 without Kinect. They might miss out on this holiday's sales but I don't think the PS4 is going to get such an unsurmountable lead off 5 months.

I wish people would stop with this. Kinect is in the box and will remain in the box for the foreseeable future.

So does anyone really think mort's leak is not true?

He has posted follow up snippets of it in this thread and by Gaf's rules for leaking must have provided the mods with at least two sources or face instant ban

I may or may not be stating this to try and get a comment from a passing mod, please don't hurt me MUST FINISH SUMMARY

So the api for connectivity and voip aren't strictly standardized making any big tweaks or changes in the OS break a random amount of games depending on how the devs chose to implement them?

That is something i don't get why would you do that.
Either developers asked for it or upper management fucked up given the stories it seems the latter is the source of all the problems.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Maybe the process of handing over certain online features from the Win8-OS to the game-OS is complicated, and/or due to the strong isolation between them, done via the cloud. In this case, there wouldn't be a common OS component driving those features. Instead, an individual component in the Win8-OS and another component as part of the game's process would handle those features, synchronized via the online infrastructure.

Krilekk

Banned
This could certainly explain, as I stated in an previous post, why members of the Xbox team may not answers such critical questions directly. The approach could be to wait until the product and services are launched and let that do the talking. If things are more serious than simply crunching to hit functionality on launch date, not counting minor issues, it could be a gamble that backfires in the short term. But,...We'll find out soon. :)

Major and Penello tried to answer questions only to be thrown shit at. The best choice of action is just to let GAF be GAF (nobody will buy Kinect, Wii U is the greatest thing ever, nobody will buy Kinect again) and answer on launch day. The system will work flawless as advertised and slowly people will realize they've been played hard by the marketing shills they call insiders. GAF is so easy to manipulate, of course marketing on both sides uses that. Isn't it strangely convenient that for every good MS news there is a new bomb hanging over X1? I have never experienced such a campaign to desperately get people to not buy a console. I mean I'm getting an X1 but why should I care what you get?

And if you look closely you see the same BS in every one of the so called insiders posts. Things are incredibad for X1 ... But they might just work it out in time. Resolution is 720p but they are working on it. ESRAM has issues bzt they might make it work. There are yield issues but that could change come launch. The OS and Xbox Live are having huge issues but they have some time left. It's their insurance. To keep their account alive. It's moronic. You either have info and stand behind it with your credibility or you don't. The way it currently works here some can spread the most ridiculous BS and get away with it.

"I heard PS4 will be delayed to 2014 because the system runs too hot with release code and constantly shuts down. Sony is hard at work finding a solution, but they might still make it. Doesn't look good though."

See how that works? If you see the infamous but, be sceptical.

Verendus

Banned
Major and Penello tried to answer questions only to be thrown shit at. The best choice of action is just to let GAF be GAF (nobody will buy Kinect, Wii U is the greatest thing ever, nobody will buy Kinect again) and answer on launch day. The system will work flawless as advertised and slowly people will realize they've been played hard by the marketing shills they call insiders. GAF is so easy to manipulate, of course marketing on both sides uses that. Isn't it strangely convenient that for every good MS news there is a new bomb hanging over X1? I have never experienced such a campaign to desperately get people to not buy a console. I mean I'm getting an X1 but why should I care what you get?

And if you look closely you see the same BS in every one of the so called insiders posts. Things are incredibad for X1 ... But they might just work it out in time. Resolution is 720p but they are working on it. ESRAM has issues bzt they might make it work. There are yield issues but that could change come launch. The OS and Xbox Live are having huge issues but they have some time left. It's their insurance. To keep their account alive. It's moronic. You either have info and stand behind it with your credibility or you don't. The way it currently works here some can spread the most ridiculous BS and get away with it.

"I heard PS4 will be delayed to 2014 because the system runs too hot with release code and constantly shuts down. Sony is hard at work finding a solution, but they might still make it. Doesn't look good though."

All this talk and it's basically you slapping a glove across their face. Thuway is a bird so he cannot be included in a human fight, BruceLeeRoy is Bruce Lee so it's unfair to you, Proelite is like the person who'll just kill everyone, and famousmormer is an alcoholic.

That leaves CBOAT, and I have a feeling he's crazy enough to take you on.

p3tran

Banned
Either developers asked for it or upper management fucked up given the stories it seems the latter is the source of all the problems.
lol
NSA should step up their part of the game with their fucking algorithm back door xbone shit!

chop-chop! finish it you stupid mofos. I wana play forza WITH leaderboards come day1

So does anyone really think mort's leak is not true?

He has posted follow up snippets of it in this thread and by Gaf's rules for leaking must have provided the mods with at least two sources or face instant ban

I may or may not be stating this to try and get a comment from a passing mod, please don't hurt me MUST FINISH SUMMARY

I personally think it's crazy to believe it's not true. Too many people chiming in and too many leakers for it not to be.

As of right now, what I believe is possible to doubt is whether A) It's as bad as Mort is saying or B) It will not be sorted out by launch

That's cool buddy. I try to listen to people with track records. Maybe they're wrong but they have the best chance of telling me something I don't know and something that is correct

I personally think it's crazy to believe it's not true. Too many people chiming in and too many leakers for it not to be.

As of right now, what I believe is possible to doubt is whether A) It's as bad as Mort is saying or B) It will not be sorted out by launch

Yep I could see it being sorted or even semi-sorted by launch but I think it's confirmed that as of now it's rather effed up

Maybe the process of handing over certain online features from the Win8-OS to the game-OS is complicated, and/or due to the strong isolation between them, done via the cloud. In this case, there wouldn't be a common OS component driving those features. Instead, an individual component in the Win8-OS and another component as part of the game's process would handle those features, synchronized via the online infrastructure.

Aah so parties and other online functionality life in the cloud?

You seem to be very optimistic about all these issues surrounding Xb1.

FDC1

They didn't delay 360 knowing the future RROD problems despite releasing 1 year before Wii & PS3. Do you really expect them to delay X1 when they are already releasing it last on many markets? They'll deal with the eventual problems even if it costs them tons of money rather than to delay it

Shrewder

Neo Member
Honestly I keep holding out the notion that one of the rumors/leaks we pass on gaf about the XB1 [COD being 720p etc.] will turn out false and MS are just trying to teach us a hard lesson

then I realize MS like money and if they could confirm that damaging rumors were false they would. So I don't know what to make of it to be honest

What no obligatory link to my thread summary yet on this page? Gotta fix that

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946#post87786946

I'd say(for anyone)...take the approach to hold on loosely to either scenario. Good, or Bad, It is what it is. I think chatting about all of these situations is fine. Questioning these situations are fine.

Many things are still very open and I think the discussion is great. We still have a short window of time, for things to be leaked or reported, until the systems are launched. I see the real big test is when users go to use the product and services. Things may or may not get real crazy at that time.

If things are as crazy as it seems, and things are seriously busted at release, then the Xbox chain of command would probably get hit even harder for their silence while the community was trying to understand situations before the product launch.

strange for such a mature and stable service to hit these problems but it sounds like they have changed them quite significantly.

this stuff is coming thick and fast. will be interesting to see how much is there when it launches. they'd surely need to delay if really this bad.

Amir0x

Banned
famousmortimer source, any back up sources? Not that I don't trust him, just wondering if it blew up even further since his comment...

I feel like I can't leave NeoGAF for even ten minutes without some crazy news breaking :(

Faustek

Yeah, the email he received is probably from someone reading Gaf :)

Nah there has been a "storm" in the UK. One of his workers(@TheSakeDiary) had a fallen tree outside of his house. Couldn't make it into work in time. Probably about that.

EDIT: Copy paste from twitter

Tony Clark ‏@AntonyaClark 3m

Trees! I'm talking about fallen trees!

Tony Clark ‏@AntonyaClark 1m

33 trees blocking train lines to London. No getting into the office for me today!

Yepp that was probably the bad news.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yes I feel your pain. But alas I have come here to remind you all of a different approach to your gaming needs. A different way to play the game. A way for you to be your own master so to speak.

What makes you so sure that GTAIV or Skyrim will run on Steam OS?

Early Monday morning and this guy gets it.

Sony is lucky they are oceans and a language away. Would be interesting to hear some details on their launch debacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom