• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanN92

Banned
Does anybody really think it wouldn't have been in MS's best interests to wait a year any more? This thing is fucked. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Xbox will be dead or sold off before 2020. A textbook case of killing a brand; I wouldn't be surprised if it's taught as a case study in business degrees in the future.

So this is your professional opinion as GAF's economic advisor/Analyst on retainer?

KidBeta

I assume you are talking about windows as other OS's are not that big. For what is a media device OS that is a huge patch, XBMC as a comparison is something like 120MB and it has way more functionality and customization. Games consoles should be as streamlined as possible to me. Apps will add to the bloat, sure, but as standard that thing should be minimal.

Other OS's being what?. OSX, Windows, most flavours of modern Linux, iOS and Android are most likely to be all far larger then 200MB. The desktop OS's are multiple GB's and the embedded ones are around 7/8/900MB.

Verendus

Banned
Does anybody really think it wouldn't have been in MS's best interests to wait a year any more? This thing is fucked. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Xbox will be dead or sold off before 2020. A textbook case of killing a brand; I wouldn't be surprised if it's taught as a case study in business degrees in the future.
Nah, it's better for them to launch now. A year later, and this would be a pretty dramatic beating marketshare wise. I expect PS4 will already command a substantial lead. Delaying the console until next year wouldn't help them. Their real mistake was that their vision was short sighted and based around something people, thankfully, made a lot of noise about to reject.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
According to most responses it's common knowledge that I'm stupid for still preferring Xbox one over PS4 even taking into account these rumors that may be true? Why is there so much hate on here ?
Probably for the same reason why there are so many attempts like yours to act victimized? GAF loves some melodrama.

Personally, I'm just flabbergasted at how MS could let themselves get into this position with 8 years prep time and full awareness of seeing one of their biggest competitors pull most of the exact same mistakes in the generation prior.

ironcreed

Banned
As a X1 day one adaptor, is it concerning? Sure, I'd hope I can enjoy the system at launch. You'd be kidding yourself to just "eh whatever" it. Am I cancelling my pre-order though, extremely worried? No, I expect that the console will be released with a respectfully working OS, even if super buggy. As others have said, if you are a day one adaptor: expect hiccups and issues both ways. Whether the PS4 I get or the X1 has more issues is irrelevant to me. I wonder, do people sometimes forget why you are buying these consoles? You buy them to enjoy them, if you want what's on the X1 just get it. You want what's on the PS4? Just get it. Issues take care of themselves in the long run. And I find it hard to believe some think MS is dead in regards to the game industry with their recent issues, but that's another conversation.

It's your money, partner. I know I'll be waiting.

tumblr_lk14snSetN1qfx95w.gif

see5harp

They had a 12-16 month head start and cost $200 less than the other HD console.

This time they enjoy neither of those two huge advantages.

Let's not forget the fact that MS likely had a much easier console to develop for as well as the most advanced OS feature set from the start. I know it's hard to admit that MS had anything going for it last gen but lets be real. I'll wait to see how things work at launch before I make up my mind.

check out the follow up posts congratulating him. it's pretty telling.

You could say that about every dumb post on GAF.

bGanci

Banned
When launching something this big isn't it common to have issue that would be easy to fix with more data(getting it out to the public). Just look at Diablo 3 and Sim city and other online focused products. Is it always best to expect the worse? People claim MS has a track history that should cause concern for this gen. Personally i don't see it. They have launched an incredible console(360). If anything shouldn't have more trust in MS? The only thing i see people pointing out is RROD, which they responded fast and took care of it. I just don't know why there is no trust there. They have made several changes in favor of the Consumer. I'm not saying these rumors are false and i'm very concerned. Its just hard to see all this doubt when Microsoft doesn't deserve it IMO.

Into

I agree with you and i think they would have done that if they had monopoly over this, or if at least Sony was not involved and only a dead Wii U was the competition.

They pretty much have to launch this year, no matter how severe problems are, they need to hit the holiday season. Its a shame because it could impact the brand even worse than it already has.

Ive met people who do not even know what NeoGAF, IGN, Gamespot or GameTrailers is, and yet they were informed about the "bad practices" of the Xbox One, probably seen the outrage on Facebook and Twitter.

Reviewtechusa from a reliable source says all the network issues reported on xbox one is the real reason watchdogs was delayed.

Also that Call of duty Ghosts is 720p on both consoles.

And PS4 Originally had DRM and day one patch removes it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6h9l5Gb5hE

No idea if this guy has good sources though. Hope not.

Edit: Guess I missed that thread, good to know its fake. Was a little worried for a second.

Quite obviously FUD and already getting called out on it.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/28/fud-video-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-by-reviewtechusa-is-complete-bogus-heres-some-damning-evidence/

If the console is ready, and the games are ready, they need to launch it as soon as they can. MS may like to think so, but Xbox don't have the brand power of an iPhone/iPad to do whatever the hell they want with it, and even Apple products are under major siege from competitors.

The only time they should not launch it is if the product is so horribly broken beyond belief that releasing it to the market instantly destroys the brand credibility.

But MS is not that awful.

Tripon

Probably for the same reason why there are so many attempts like yours to act victimized? GAF loves some melodrama.

Personally, I'm just flabbergasted at how MS could let themselves get into this position with 8 years prep time and full awareness of seeing one of their biggest competitors pull most of the exact same mistakes in the generation prior.

They got distracted by a lot of things. Kinect for one.

You can say that they got a full 8 years to prepare for the next gen, but you're talking about an company that has a million different things going on at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised that they only really started thinking and planning an 360 successor a couple of years ago. It sure seems like this is a rushed project.

Maybe because they are actual insiders and Krilekk is talking out of his ass? Mods ask for proof, posters provide proof, posters post. The news is mostly negative because MS has really been messing up lately (hence all the 180s).

Or maybe everyone's just out to get poor lil MS and it's a huge conspiracy.
Publish the proof publicly. Everyone is talking out of their asses right unless they provide an evidence to backup their claims.

For instance,

What do you understand from this post?
Given the choice between

720p COD

and

Xbox One OS that crashes / hangs once per user session. Flaky ass multi-player.

I think 720p COD is the lesser of the two evils.
You can't even know if this is the guy's opinion when he says "I think" or a fact or maybe the usual trick of "if they fix the OS, then it might be 1080p"?

Since they are providing their evidence to Mods, The same evidence should be provided to all members, publicly, otherwise, it will stay pure claims until proven.

Fehyd

Banned
I'm pretty sure these are full blown production PS4 units running a special demo mode app, to which Sony store employees (or the manager) have the button combination and/or password to bypass. I too am surprised MS didn't do this, I mean they are a software company first.

MS is having issues getting demo units out or just isnt that interested. Heck, most Best Buys wont even have a demo xbone before the holidays. Most of the displays in the wild right now are just media players and plastic shells.

Meanwhile Sony is looking to have ps4 demos in stores in the next week or two.

Banned
How does a company that made its fortune selling OS's and software fuck up a console OS on their third console? It defies logic.

Derrick01

Banned
check out the follow up posts congratulating him. it's pretty telling.

People will congratulate almost any post that's that long just because they assume it must make sense if someone sat there writing that much.

All I had to do was read the first paragraph, read the username, then laugh at how predictable it was.

tbm24

They had a 12-16 month head start and cost $200 less than the other HD console.

This time they enjoy neither of those two huge advantages.
While true, all I'm saying is people love them some Xbox. I know way too many people who outright bought another 360(which also ended up failing), myself included. They'll be fine.

Raist

Banned
Some crazy meltdowns in effect.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87787675&postcount=1153

Basically it's all a PR smear campaign against MS.

AND EVERYONE IS IN ON IT

Multiple reports confirm that the PS4 is more powerful than XB1, and almost immediately there's a Leadbetter article talking about balance. It's not really a major surprise that something like this was brewing, because the PS4 has always looked and sounded more powerful. Call of Duty only served to help drive that point home. And with perfect timing something specifically designed to target it and tear it down is released, and nobody is going to say to themselves, "Now wait just a minute here. Doesn't this all seem a little too convenient?" Big resolution differences are undeniable. The response? It's all about balance, not raw power. Not real. It's unnoticeable. it's all a smoke and mirrors campaign. Or, even if there's games running much better, they look like shit to begin with so who cares. GDDR5 sounds pretty cool, many people like it, one of the many bright spots nobody could attack? Oh, wait, random secret developper post out of nowhere from a no doubt MS employee claiming it's not as good as eSRAM, which it absolutely is, and people eat it up, because it feeds right into that there is no fucking way MS could possibly have dun goofed.

bGanci

Banned

Ahh you caught me! I'm just looking for attention by acting Victimized.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nah, it's better for them to launch now. A year later, and this would be a pretty dramatic beating marketshare wise. I expect PS4 will already command a substantial lead. Delaying the console until next year wouldn't help them. Their real mistake was that their vision was short sighted and based around something people, thankfully, made a lot of noise about to reject.

The issue is, we now know enough to be pretty confident that this isn't just a rushed launch, it's the launch of an incredibly unpopular, expensive, uncompetitive product that is, we now know, borderline broken. Even ignoring the cynicism of thinking it'll sell just because of the Xbox brand (at a time when MS's brand cache is at a historical low, no less), we're living in an age where it's very, very, easy for news about broken or janky products to spread very quickly.

Think of it in terms of Nintendo with GameCube. They didn't win marketshare but they made decent profit with a solid product. Another year in the oven and MS might have done the same thing. At this rate they're going to lose an incredible amount of money and an incredible amount of market share.

Pezking

They werent fine with RROD either, it cost them more than billion dollars.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ed_ring_of_death_costs_Microsoft_more_than_1B

Yeah, but they managed to avoid a callback of every pre-Falcon console. That would have been the right thing to do, but at the same time, it would have been an absolute PR desaster for them.

By spending a billion dollars on "managing" the RROD problem, many gamers even started to think of them as extremely consumer friendly and downright generous with all the free repairs and extended warranties.

I sold my first 360 in the spring of 2007 and bought a Falcon model later that year, just in time for the release of "Mass Effect". Even then there were still launch units being sold! They were even packaged in the same new designed boxes. I had to print out a list with serial numbers and bring it with me to the store to make sure that I don't buy an old model with "built-in" RROD. Two years after launch!

Microsoft spent a lot of money to keep things relatively quiet and managed to get off lightly by doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom