• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

For all us xbox one preorderers that are wallowing in self pity at the moment, we need all the bad news now. The pms from CBOAT that caused Bish to retreat to his underground bunker. Might as well get it all now.

You can always cancel your pre order and wait it out. I was going to get both at launch but decided to stick with the ps4 and cancel the xbone after this weekends shit storms.

Knuf

How does a company that made its fortune selling OS's and software fuck up a console OS on their third console? It defies logic.

Well, to put things in the right perspective, it took them seventeen fucking years to have an usable consumer OS.

szaromir

Banned
While true, all I'm saying is people love them some Xbox. I know way too many people who outright bought another 360(which also ended up failing), myself included. They'll be fine.
Despite low hardware reliability, 360 offered much better user experience than its direct competitor. This rumor states that the user experience is terrible. How much truth is to the rumor we'll see in one month, but if it's true it's the opposite of what 360 built its popularity on.

dosh

According to most responses it's common knowledge that I'm stupid for still preferring Xbox one over PS4 even taking into account these rumors that may be true? Why is there so much hate on here ?

Yeah, that often strikes me as well. Some of the comments towards X1 adopters are surprisingly aggressive, disdainful and judgemental.

MS deserves all the hate they get for royally fucking up their PR, as did Sony when they launched the ps3. Not the players (except guys like Krilekk).

kyser73

How does a company that made its fortune selling OS's and software fuck up a console OS on their third console? It defies logic.

Seriously? You know MS' history. Took 20 years to go from MS-Dos to XP, which is generally recognised as the Window instance that was both stable and user-friendly, then took them another 7 to f**k that up with Vista, another 2 to get it right with W7, and then another 3 before they managed to get W8 right for the majority of their users (i.e. on the desktop) with what used to be called a service pack which was renamed to Windows 8.1, and appeared in the same way as every up SP update, on patch Tuesday.

MS has a disastrous track record with both sticking to launch deadlines and the quality of it's products at launch. Xbox is - or looks like was - a shining example of how well they can do things right; anyone who has had to stick it through the various iterations of Office & Windows wouldn't even bat an eyelid at the news that there are problems this close to launch - especially when they've had to effectively re-code a large chunk of the OS for Xbone thanks to the DRM 180.

Major and Penello tried to answer questions only to be thrown shit at. The best choice of action is just to let GAF be GAF (nobody will buy Kinect, Wii U is the greatest thing ever, nobody will buy Kinect again) and answer on launch day. The system will work flawless as advertised and slowly people will realize they've been played hard by the marketing shills they call insiders. GAF is so easy to manipulate, of course marketing on both sides uses that. Isn't it strangely convenient that for every good MS news there is a new bomb hanging over X1? I have never experienced such a campaign to desperately get people to not buy a console. I mean I'm getting an X1 but why should I care what you get?

And if you look closely you see the same BS in every one of the so called insiders posts. Things are incredibad for X1 ... But they might just work it out in time. Resolution is 720p but they are working on it. ESRAM has issues bzt they might make it work. There are yield issues but that could change come launch. The OS and Xbox Live are having huge issues but they have some time left. It's their insurance. To keep their account alive. It's moronic. You either have info and stand behind it with your credibility or you don't. The way it currently works here some can spread the most ridiculous BS and get away with it.

"I heard PS4 will be delayed to 2014 because the system runs too hot with release code and constantly shuts down. Sony is hard at work finding a solution, but they might still make it. Doesn't look good though."

See how that works? If you see the infamous but, be sceptical.
It could also just be that....MS is fucking up a lot lately and Sony...isn't?

These insiders have reputations to uphold and they wouldn't risk them over bullshit lies just to keep stories and conversations going. And if not for being so dense, you'd see that there have been confirmations to some of the rumors, such as eSRAM yields possibly impacting # of manufactured units....hence XBO launching in only 13 locations instead of the original 21 (or was it 22?). Just b/c it isn't literally spelled out for you and MS refuses to release an official statement literally saying they're limiting releases due to eSRAM problems, doesn't mean the rumors were false. It's just that unlike a lot of games these days, we actually have to use some logic and context clues to piece and confirm these sort of things together. No one's going to hold your hand for this and if they do, it'll be either sarcastically ('cuz, cmon, you were dense) or well after the fact.

And to the other end, just because you see MS get percentage gains on the eSRAM doesn't suddenly mean eSRAM rumors are false, either. They could've been having the eSRAM issues due to trying to uplock the GPU, and now since they're launching in less countries they have less global system stock and thus less potential bad yields to worry about, so perhaps they could attempt some optimization on the eSRAM and GPU they wouldn't have been able to do before, those optimizations causing dev problems, etc.

Just to take your fears away, not everything is apparently peachy clean w/ PS4 either. All you'd need to do is read this post. Needless to say however it's not facing nearly as much shit in the can as XBO @tm.

It's not a conspiracy theory if one system happens to be going through a lot of problems and that information is being leaked out. That's just what's happening; don't blame the messengers, blame MS. If they had their shit together the volume of negative XBO news would be miniscule. Reality however is a cruel beast. Just because confirmations of some of these rumors aren't literally spelled out to you in big pastel letters doesn't mean the rumors went unfounded; you are quite literally just being lazy to do some of the detective work yourself, and then get frustrated at the messengers for the wrong reasons. If you can't find it in you to blame MS (or Sony, if they were in this position), then blame yourself.

FStop7

Banned
Major and Penello tried to answer questions only to be thrown shit at. The best choice of action is just to let GAF be GAF (nobody will buy Kinect, Wii U is the greatest thing ever, nobody will buy Kinect again) and answer on launch day. The system will work flawless as advertised and slowly people will realize they've been played hard by the marketing shills they call insiders. GAF is so easy to manipulate, of course marketing on both sides uses that. Isn't it strangely convenient that for every good MS news there is a new bomb hanging over X1? I have never experienced such a campaign to desperately get people to not buy a console. I mean I'm getting an X1 but why should I care what you get?

And if you look closely you see the same BS in every one of the so called insiders posts. Things are incredibad for X1 ... But they might just work it out in time. Resolution is 720p but they are working on it. ESRAM has issues bzt they might make it work. There are yield issues but that could change come launch. The OS and Xbox Live are having huge issues but they have some time left. It's their insurance. To keep their account alive. It's moronic. You either have info and stand behind it with your credibility or you don't. The way it currently works here some can spread the most ridiculous BS and get away with it.

"I heard PS4 will be delayed to 2014 because the system runs too hot with release code and constantly shuts down. Sony is hard at work finding a solution, but they might still make it. Doesn't look good though."

Aren't you someone who posted bogus insider information?

fake edit - I see that's already been confirmed.

zebwinz

Nice response. I'm with you - if all these sources know for a fact that the Xbox One is doomed, why put in all the qualifiers? Just hedging their bets.

Albert got on Twitter on Saturday, wondering what all that day's hubbub was about and then said specifically, and confidently, that things were good to go in Redmond. If the 22nd comes, and my Xbox One is a hot mess then, and only then, will I call him and Microsoft out.

x-Lundz-x

Dunno if you mean me or not, and I wasn't really attacking anything, but edited my post just in case.

Not really in specific, I'm just saying to try and keep it as civil as possible. I hate it when threads like this get locked because we start attacking each other. We all love games so lets have that passion but no personal attacks ;).

Ramma2

For all us xbox one preorderers that are wallowing in self pity at the moment, we need all the bad news now. The pms from CBOAT that caused Bish to retreat to his underground bunker. Might as well get it all now.

Can I get a link to this topic/discussion?

bGanci

Banned
It could also just be that....MS is fucking up a lot lately and Sony...isn't?

These insiders have reputations to uphold and they wouldn't risk them over bullshit lies just to keep stories and conversations going. And if not for being so dense, you'd see that there have been confirmations to some of the rumors, such as eSRAM yields possibly impacting # of manufactured units....hence XBO launching in only 13 locations instead of the original 21 (or was it 22?). Just b/c it isn't literally spelled out for you and MS refuses to release an official statement literally saying they're limiting releases due to eSRAM problems, doesn't mean the rumors were false. It's just that unlike a lot of games these days, we actually have to use some logic and context clues to piece and confirm these sort of things together. No one's going to hold your hand for this and if they do, it'll be either sarcastically ('cuz, cmon, you were dense) or well after the fact.

And to the other end, just because you see MS get percentage gains on the eSRAM doesn't suddenly mean eSRAM rumors are false, either. They could've been having the eSRAM issues due to trying to uplock the GPU, and now since they're launching in less countries they have less global system stock and thus less potential bad yields to worry about, so perhaps they could attempt some optimization on the eSRAM and GPU they wouldn't have been able to do before, those optimizations causing dev problems, etc.

Just to take your fears away, not everything is apparently peachy clean w/ PS4 either. All you'd need to do is read this post. Needless to say however it's not facing nearly as much shit in the can as XBO @tm.

It's not a conspiracy theory if one system happens to be going through a lot of problems and that information is being leaked out. That's just what's happening; don't blame the messengers, blame MS. If they had their shit together the volume of negative XBO news would be miniscule. Reality however is a cruel beast. Just because confirmations of some of these rumors aren't literally spelled out to you in big pastel letters doesn't mean the rumors went unfounded; you are quite literally just being lazy to do some of the detective work yourself, and then get frustrated at the messengers for the wrong reasons. If you can't find it in you to blame MS (or Sony, if they were in this position), then blame yourself.

I'm pretty sure part of the delay in those countries is kinect voice recognition. The consoles are not region locked at least.

Feorax

Yeah, that often strikes me as well. Some of the comments towards X1 adopters are surprisingly aggressive, disdainful and judgemental.

MS deserves all the hate they get for royally fucking up their PR, as did Sony when they launched the ps3. Not the players (except guys like Krilekk).

I agree, there shouldn't be any hostility towards Xbox One buyers. I bought a PS3 at launch, and I had a great time with Resistance, Tekken: DR, Heavenly Sword, etc. I didn't even know what I was missing until I picked up a 360 when Halo 3 released. Still, didn't take away from my enjoyment of the system, and I doubt it will for Xbox One buyers.

MS needs to sort their shit out though, just like Sony had to.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'd say new news, new thread, but given the pounding the Xbox One is taking at the moment it's probably best to contain the meltdowns to this thread :p

Jonm1010

Banned
Nice response. I'm with you - if all these sources know for a fact that the Xbox One is doomed, why put in all the qualifiers? Just hedging their bets.

Albert got on Twitter on Saturday, wondering what all that day's hubbub was about and then said specifically, and confidently, that things were good to go in Redmond. If the 22nd comes, and my Xbox One is a hot mess then, and only then, will I call him and Microsoft out.

Where there is smoke there is often fire. And when the smoke is coming from sources that have credible backgrounds and a history of correct info the likelihood become more then not that not only is there a fire but it's likely blazing.

Feorax

I'd say new news, new thread, but given the pounding the Xbox One is taking at the moment it's probably best to contain the meltdowns to this thread :p

This.

Also, if true, we'll probably get other sources backing it up sooner rather than later. That's probably the time for a new thread.

_Ryo_

I guess you haven't heard of

Windows ME
or
Windows Vista
or to a certain extend
Windows 8.

Microsoft has proven again and again they're not above fucking up.

todd360

I'm just imagining playing ps4 the day xbox one releases. The panic, the chaos, the OS not working, the system crashes. The many threads of why did I buy this console the warnings were everywhere. I can't wait to see the meltdowns. Why did I spend $100 more for this bigger uglier weaker box that doesn't even play muh gamez right.

Mostly I want to see the people who stuck up for xbox one even during its 24 hour online checks finally admit defeat.

Marc

Other OS's being what?. OSX, Windows, most flavours of modern Linux, iOS and Android are most likely to be all far larger then 200MB. The desktop OS's are multiple GB's and the embedded ones are around 7/8/900MB.

Well the PS4 is based on a variation of UNIX right? And its a media box, not a full blown OS. It doesn't even need to do half of the stuff a smartphone can.

As a download, 300MB can be very big to people, it was for me until recently. I don't think it can be sneezed at, but as people say, thats the world we live in now so people without broadband have to miss out on features. Otherwise known as the Orth. :)

can't see the tweet, anyone want to screenshot?

omgdjp1b.png

I'm just imagining playing ps4 the day xbox one releases. The panic, the chaos, the OS not working, the system crashes. The many threads of why did I buy this console the warnings were everywhere. I can't wait to see the meltdowns. Why did I spend $100 more for this bigger uglier weaker box that doesn't even play muh gamez right.

Mostly I want to see the people who stuck up for xbox one even during its 24 hour online checks finally admit defeat.

Uh. Those are just mean wishes.

zebwinz

Where there is smoke there is often fire. And when the smoke is coming from sources that have credible backgrounds and a history of correct info the likelihood become more then not that not only is there a fire but it's likely blazing.

People are seeing this smoke and wanting Redmond to burn to the ground. I'm just saying wait and see, especially since every rumor post does say "but there's still time to fix it".

ClearData

I think Microsoft is going to have these things ironed out shortly after launch. Sony has things to iron out as well heading into November 15th.

This is the world we live in now so I just kind of accept it. It sucks that early adopters are essentially beta testers and these are services that we are paying for but I've learned since getting into PC gaming that there is a fun aspect to this as well. Despite the frustrations it is all about chasing better and better experiences, right?

I'm starting to get over all the BS. I kind of have a disdain with how MS sometimes treats the medium but they put out some wonderful products and in the cold light of day Xbox One does some very great things that were kind of lost in bad PR and criminal mismanagement.

I want to see the big 3 and others competing in a healthy industry. So these rumors, if true, speak to a company that I am starting to get worried about rather than trading barbs for console wars lolz. I hope they get it together and I can grab an Xbox One next year with no reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom