• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClearData

I don't know - "it could take months" surely wouldn't be shortly after launch. I hope Xbone can get its shit together though, I am thinking of taking a day off of work with some buddies to play some PS4/Xbone. I would be pissed if a broken OS/Online prevented me from playing some Killer Instinct.

This may be my interpretation of Famousmortimer's information but I think after the day one patch is installed you should be able to play Killer Instinct or whatever else. The party chat and online features being there and working is anyone's guess.

Again, that is what I am reasoning from his information but as long as the games work that is what matters first and foremost. I know some people won't be happy though. They'll be very, very upset if Live is not running smoothly.

omgdjp1b.png
Holy shit if true.

sephi22

If the xbox one crashes and burn do you think journalist are gonna blame gamers for being entitled to waiting them to take out the drm and therefore ruining their special butterfly?
Most certainly

The games press isn't pro-gamer as long as there are console makers or game publishers inviting reviewers to parties and putting food on the table.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Dumbest thing I have ever heard here. Actually wanting a console to fail. THOUSANDS of jobs at stake, and a product that some people enjoy. Frankly I wouldn't play games if Halo wasn't a thing.

If you don't want it don't buy it, but don't wish for it to fail. So stupid.

I bet you desperately wanted Steam to fail too?
Also, we consumers need more than one big console. If this whole DRM debacle showed one thing, it's what competition can do.

mocoworm

Yes it does. I have many friends who were somehow convinced that xbox ones anti consumer bullshit was no big deal. I know they changed it but they only did it because of the huge backlash. I'm still pissed off that they tried to screw us over like that. I'm super salty and want the xbox one to fail hard.

Wow. Pathetic.

How old are you ?

see5harp

I'm just imagining playing ps4 the day xbox one releases. The panic, the chaos, the OS not working, the system crashes. The many threads of why did I buy this console the warnings were everywhere. I can't wait to see the meltdowns. Why did I spend $100 more for this bigger uglier weaker box that doesn't even play muh gamez right.

Mostly I want to see the people who stuck up for xbox one even during its 24 hour online checks finally admit defeat.

If shit doesn't work right, I'll just hop on the ps4. I suspect many (me including) would not have bought the box at launch without all of the changes to the DRM plans. You are also silly.

Dumbest thing I have ever heard here. Actually wanting a console to fail. THOUSANDS of jobs at stake, and a product that some people enjoy. Frankly I wouldn't play games any where near as much if Halo wasn't a thing.

Edit: If either Sony or MS were to fail that would leave the other with damn near a monopoly. That is the LAST thing we want.

One must ask a question if they did a crappy job to they deserve to have said job?

On another note I would think the actually dev studios would be sold off.

Dyno

Damn this thread is like Viking poem.

I expected this because the Xbone was travelling in a certain direction for years and then they pulled the 180. There is no telling how much of the system had to be redone or modified after that U-turn and they only had mere months to do it before launch.

Add to that the rumour that the MS box is being rushed out to compete with PS4 and I forsee a system that is coming out raw and will need to be polished for a couple years.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is this?

He's a really popular BF4 player. He has a popular youtube channel and does a lot of BF videos. He has been invited by EA (edit: sorry wrote activation for some reason) to review early copies of BF4 and got access to it this last weekend to review on the X1 and PS4.

Crackbone

Dumbest thing I have ever heard here. Actually wanting a console to fail. THOUSANDS of jobs at stake, and a product that some people enjoy. Frankly I wouldn't play games if Halo wasn't a thing.

I'd like to see the MS vision of what gaming is to fail.

While I have no illusions about the motivations of Sony (all corporations are in it for the bucks), their approach is much more gamer-centric across the board.

Furthermore, I truly believe MS's PR campaign has done nothing but sour the core gamers even more to their vision, as evidenced by the general anti-Xbox mentality that's here.

Microsoft seems to have forgotten what built the Xbox brand in the first place. Competitively powered hardware, reasonably priced, that's built to play games. Instead what we have this time around is a machine that's a jack of all trades, more expensive than the competition, built to squeeze every penny out of the consumer through targeted advertising, and paywalls, while skimping on their hardware offering.

If that's is what gaming is going to become in a MS dominated gaming world, then shit yes, I want to see it fail.

todd360

Edit: If either Sony or MS were to fail that would leave the other with damn near a monopoly. That is the LAST thing we want.

I don't mean fail so hard that everyone loses their jobs. Just have much lower sales than ps4 and I would like to say Wii U as well but at this point I doubt Wii U could beat xbox one in console sales by the end of next gen.

SpartanN92

Banned
Also, we consumers need more than one big console. If this whole DRM debacle showed one thing, it's what competition can do.

EXACTLY!

Competition is the best thing about capitalism. It has companies fighting for the consumer. MS forgot to do that and Sony gave them a swift reminder. Current gen in the beginning it was reversed.

Competition is the life blood of the console industry. We need it. Without it gaming is doooooooooomedbender.gif

jschreier

Most certainly

The games press isn't pro-gamer as long as there are console makers or game publishers inviting reviewers to parties and putting food on the table.
How many members of the games press can you even name? Don't group hundreds of reporters into the same category based on a few people's tweets.

nib95

Banned
dead rising 3 exclusive?
there were so many rumors about that... I read about that on 3-4 different websites before e3
Dead space 3 co-op?
I would be surprised if a shooter was released without co-op nowadays especially from EA...
I'm not trying to discredit him, just saying I have never heard some megabomb from him that shakes the industry, or that I have ever found interesting.

War of Tanks, all these current issues. 720p, deals not to mention other platforms (dedicated servers with COD), yield issues (shortly after the Tier 1 launch countries were halved), the Xbox 360's detailed specs, the new SDK having problems and less performance way before anyone uttered anything about launch issues and much more. But keep trying.

PBY

Banned
I don't mean fail so hard that everyone loses their jobs. Just have much lower sales than ps4 and I would like to say Wii U as well but at this point I doubt Wii U could beat xbox one in console sales by the end of next gen.
looooool

Portugeezer

Dumbest thing I have ever heard here. Actually wanting a console to fail. THOUSANDS of jobs at stake, and a product that some people enjoy. Frankly I wouldn't play games any where near as much if Halo wasn't a thing.

Although Sony practically had a monopoly with the PS2 and people praise it as the best console of all time.

People act like competition is important, and good competition is, which is why Xbox were quick to reverse their Xbone policies. On the other hand shit competition is still shit competition so I can see why some people don't care about Xbone failing.

I have to love these posts. Juniors that have no fucking clue what they're talking about trying to discredit CBOAT.

Please, tell us how you would have guessed that Dead Space 3 would have co-op, Dead Rising 3 was an Xbone exclusive or that Titanfall was a timed exclusive.

No kidding. I'm fairly new posting here, been lurking here for a couple years but only recently got an account approved, and I'm not dumb enough to try and fling poo at CBOAT. Although I was confused about his name for a brief time.

That being said, Titanfall being a timed exclusive was quite obvious from the beginning IMO. Ever since the first day it was announced, and the Xbox crowd over on the X360A forums was going ape shit saying it was the next Halo, the killer app, system seller, etc, I was saying all along that it would be timed exclusive. I got a LOT of heat over there for posting that, and in fact I had a couple threads removed entirely for saying virtually anything that wasn't XB1 praise in the highest, but I was saying it would be a timed exclusive from the get-go. That was kinda a no-brainer because there's too much $$ to be made off the shooter crowd for them to hand over complete exclusivity to MS for a game that could very well be the next CoD-esque franchise. I still don't think there's been "official" confirmation, but the lack of responses and non-answers by MS PR speaks volumes, just like every other 'rumor'.

Zushin

He's a really popular BF4 player. He has a popular youtube channel and does a lot of BF videos. He has been invited by EA (edit: sorry wrote activation for some reason) to review early copies of BF4 and got access to it this last weekend to review on the X1 and PS4.

Ah I see, thankyou.

SpartanN92

Banned
I'd like to see the MS vision of what gaming is to fail.

While I have no illusions about the motivations of Sony (all corporations are in it for the bucks), their approach is much more gamer-centric across the board.

Furthermore, I truly believe MS's PR campaign has done nothing but sour the core gamers even more to their vision, as evidenced by the general anti-Xbox mentality that's here.

Microsoft seems to have forgotten what built the Xbox brand in the first place. Good hardware, reasonably priced, that's built to play games. Instead what we have this time around is a machine that's a jack of all trades, more expensive than the competition, built to squeeze every penny out of the consumer through targeted advertising, and paywalls, while skimping on their hardware offering.

If that's is what gaming is going to become in a MS dominated gaming world, then shit yes, I want to see it fail.

Then Sony would eventually do the same thing. I am not advocating MS dominate the gaming world (In fact 100% the opposite.) I don't want any company to dominate. I want to see both of these companies go to all out war with each other for the consumer.

How many members of the games press can you even name? Don't group hundreds of reporters into the same category based on a few people's tweets.

I agree. I don't like these sweeping generalizations. Also Jschreier, mad respect to you the last few days. Definitely be keeping a closer eye on you.

sephi22

There are things that many of us think, that are not apt to be spoken about in public.
This might be one of them.
People who are buying an XB1 might be buying one for reasons that you can't get on PS4 - exclusive games, existing friend ecosystem, controller preferences, etc. They are buying it despite knowing of its drawbacks, and they feel like the good outweighs the bad.

Wishing more ill on them is not a good look. Its common knowledge that PS4>XB1, but you can't really buy one and get the complete experience of the other. You can buy them for different reasons.

Faustek

Just to ask:

Without the FW 1.5 patch, I can still play games on my PS4 on Day 1. The patch is for shinyshiny (remote play, party chat, other stuff listed in the relevant thread on the topic) and for some reason BR/DVD playback (altho I suspect that's related to region coding).

So even if PSN is borked on D1, I can play games when I get my console.

The X Box One - so far as I can tell - is a brick until the Day 1 patch is installed, because the patch removes all the DRM features in the OS.

Does this mean if there are connectivity issues with XBL I can't play my games on D1?

Yes, it has been confirmed that you can start playing your games before the patch/upgrade is downloaded so I assume that means YES.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
That's just one part of that conversation, he added later that nothing is known.

@zjonesyy 20m
@jackfrags @preston647 no he is trolling , he just tweeted jack 7 mins before this tweet asking which was better ? So he has no clue :)

Jackfrags added nothing more after. The trolling comment is about the guy who said BF4 looks better on xbox one.

I don't like the MS DRM stuff either. But I don't think it's good to wish MS and the owners of the X1 to fail. I'd like them both to succeed. Especially since MS did reverse their policies. If the institute them again, I hope they receive another beating for it. I don't wish their failure though.
I don't care if MS fails, but the sheer disaster of recent Xbone news makes it impossible for me to feel and schadenfreude as regards Xbox fans.

Feorax

Although Sony practically had a monopoly with the PS2 and people praise it as the best console of all time.

People act like competition is important, and good competition is, which is why Xbox were quick to reverse their Xbone policies. On the other hand shit competition is still shit competition so I can see why some people don't care about Xbone failing.

There are probably a fair few people who would be happy for MS to drop out of the console game if it meant Valve's Steambox were to replace it. Between a Wii-U, a PS4 and a Steambox, there's a hell of a lot more variety in that combo than there is in having "HD twins" than there is currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom