• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy War Tactics F2P Japanese style SRPG for IOS/Android

garath

I downloaded the game when the thread went up, but never had time to actually play it until this week. I'm going through Vulcan right now. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it so far. The core gameplay is more or less a fully featured SRPG and I'm digging the gotta catch 'em all thing with the genes. Maybe my opinion will change when I hit a difficulty brick wall, but for now it seems pretty great.

Would anyone be willing to friend me? And does the invite friend function for randoms not work or something? I must have sent out hundreds of requests by now, but I haven't gotten a single accept, nor have I received any through this system. I've gotten a few people to friend me through the chat, but at this point I've got less than 5 friends.

I noticed the OP has a list of players separated by platform. Can iOS players not play with Android? Anyways, my IGN is Fishious and I'm using Android.

Most people are pretty hungry for friends, especially early on but later your list is just full. I freed a slot and invited you. I don't think there is any division of iOS vs Android.

Fishious

Most people are pretty hungry for friends, especially early on but later your list is just full. I freed a slot and invited you. I don't think there is any division of iOS vs Android.

Thank you!

I understand that people's friend lists fill up and I'm a 2* scrub, but I've been sending out requests after every single stage to people who are have stuff like 1* lv5 Chris, but still haven't had any of them accept. I've played several gatcha mobile games before so I'm well aware the better/higher level your unit the more likely you are to get friends, but I'd think at least new players would be pretty desperate.

garath

Thank you!

I understand that people's friend lists fill up and I'm a 2* scrub, but I've been sending out requests after every single stage to people who are have stuff like 1* lv5 Chris, but still haven't had any of them accept. I've played several gatcha mobile games before so I'm well aware the better/higher level your unit the more likely you are to get friends, but I'd think at least new players would be pretty desperate.

Through chat is where I got most of my initial friends. After that it snowballed a bit. Won't be long till you are paying crystals to expand it lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Through chat is where I got most of my initial friends. After that it snowballed a bit. Won't be long till you are paying crystals to expand it lol

I think 99% of my friends are from chat. I just post "add me" and then a bunch of ppl add me. Do that a few times and you're set :p

Althane

I got most my friends from just spamming levels early on.

Managed to 4* my Ian (Jack is ~30 levels away from Rebirth, so I decided to go ahead and unlock the 4* stuff now). Now working on 4*ing Deb, just need one more 4* Evo golem to drop.

Then I have to work on Carrot. Fun.

Just 3*'d Mas, which I should have done AGES ago, but the healing break point let me blow through the rest of Foose (I know, I've been slow on the story mode in terms of my power level).

I've almost finished max-skilling Kai, not for any good reason, but because I could so easily. His gene events are super useful, since he's so cheap.

Anyways, now that the 4* barrier has been broken for me, I'm hoping to be able to get in the top 1k or so for global events. We'll see if I can keep up the power creep though. Should have expeditions level 10 tomorrow though. Woot woot.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
What are people using rubies on? Got expedition to 10, friends to 50, blew a few hundred on black gacha rolls. Save for costumes I suppose.

Edit: Cool, looks like you can extend the starter pack for another month when you reach the end. You pay the regular price $4.99, but its still excellent value https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyWarTactics/comments/3vl0d0/starter_pack_renewal/

Yeah, I renewed it. It's a pretty good deal. As for what I spend my rubies on, now that I have my expedition at 10, I just spend it on batches of 10 premium gear. As far as I can tell, there's no other way to get uber gear (there should be though). I just save and buy during the rate up events they have.

Uthred

Quite enjoying this, may just be because its new but I like the fact that there's a beat of meat to some of the later levels when aiming for SS. That being said cant even get past the basic difficulty of Girgas-12, enemies more or less one-shot my guys (mostly low 4*). I suppose the one issue I have is that leveling up, especially via maps, is very slow

Om3ga

Wow didn't even know there was a Gaf thread for this game. Been playing off and on for a month, I'm currently pushing for 5 star Kai and Deb.

What are people using rubies on? Got expedition to 10, friends to 50, blew a few hundred on black gacha rolls. Save for costumes I suppose.

Edit: Cool, looks like you can extend the starter pack for another month when you reach the end. You pay the regular price $4.99, but its still excellent value https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyWarTactics/comments/3vl0d0/starter_pack_renewal/
First expedition, then friendlist, and now victory count reset. I feel I'll get more value out of my gems if I level my characters then to spend it on costumes and equipment.

Quite enjoying this, may just be because its new but I like the fact that there's a beat of meat to some of the later levels when aiming for SS. That being said cant even get past the basic difficulty of Girgas-12, enemies more or less one-shot my guys (mostly low 4*). I suppose the one issue I have is that leveling up, especially via maps, is very slow
If you have grace use it. The next area you'll be using grace A LOT. If you have Gillian (buff and heal) or cleo (Confusion and Charm) they make that stage much more manageable. I'd even say to farm them for PVP purposes. I gave up on story mode until I can get my team to 5*. Nereid 8-8 boss is just way too difficult. I only gene farm and run Nephtys during the week and then on the weekend I will try to SS dungeons/areas that have an exp bonus.

To maximize exp gain, once you get to level 5-6 in Nephtys underground temples (gold coocoo) you should be resetting your victory count at least twice a day since you get 40 free gems a day. You'll gain at least 3-5 levels per character per day which allows you to progress faster. I reset it 4 times right now(cost 160 gems *cries*) as I'm pushing for 5* and i feel like 10 levels a day is worth it.

Uthred

Hadnt thought of resetting, was thinking of spending on Lord skills until the price rises above 50. I wonder is it worth saving for a possible Christmas event?

Om3ga

Yep first I was resetting to farm gene's, but since we got the gene buff last week I don't feel the need to spend the gems on that anymore unless to unlock a character right away.

Wow I just started using Gillian so I can farm Cleo and he's so broken. I wish i had started using him sooner. Buff your damage and crit for 2 turns + heal and then then his ability to disarm the opponent is AoE too? I can only wait to see the games new meta now that we have the gene buff.

Right now since i never spent any gems on equipment I'm sitting on 2000 games. I was going to spend them on pulling, but then I saw the Christmas event, hopefully we get some good stuff, the devs seem to be really generous.

Uthred

New update seems pretty good, towers pretty tough but the rewards are good. Feel that lacking a good healer is going to be an issue, stuck on floor 20 at the moment.

Fishious

New update seems pretty good, towers pretty tough but the rewards are good. Feel that lacking a good healer is going to be an issue, stuck on floor 20 at the moment.

I'm liking it so far too. I'm only at 15 and I'm not sure how much farther I'm going to make it without strengthening my team a bit. As you said, the rewards are good and personally I'm liking the challenge. Specifically the floor layouts, enemy team compositions, and abilities seem to play a big role so I'm actually having to analyze each floor and plan accordingly.

Fishious

How did people do with the blue genes hero? Got Little Angel Shu Shu, was sort of hoping for the kung fu girl

I got Zero. He seems decent, but it's really hard to tell how good some of these heroes are because it can depend a lot on how their skills scale as you level them.

Shu-shu looks really good though. Most of her skills damage and heal, plus skills 3 increases the affected character's move by 2.

Uthred

I got Zero. He seems decent, but it's really hard to tell how good some of these heroes are because it can depend a lot on how their skills scale as you level them.

Shu-shu looks really good though. Most of her skills damage and heal, plus skills 3 increases the affected character's move by 2.

She does seem good, wanted one that looks cool but she seems like a solid healer as long as I can get her attack up high enough.

KimChi

I took a break from all mobile games thanks to finals and played this for a few days some weeks ago. Will probably be playing this now and if anyone has room to add me my ign is Krusche and I'm on android if that matters.
My party is only 2 stars right now with chris, carrot, sraka, and kai. I don't have the 5th party slot yet, working on that.

Few questions:
1. Which heroes should I aim for to keep in my main party?

2. Any point in maxing out the expedition or is level 4 enough?

3. Is it better to do the shorter expeditions for the ancient coins?

4. Any other things I should keep in mind of while going through the story?

Fishious

I took a break from all mobile games thanks to finals and played this for a few days some weeks ago. Will probably be playing this now and if anyone has room to add me my ign is Krusche and I'm on android if that matters.
My party is only 2 stars right now with chris, carrot, sraka, and kai. I don't have the 5th party slot yet, working on that.

Few questions:
1. Which heroes should I aim for to keep in my main party?

2. Any point in maxing out the expedition or is level 4 enough?

3. Is it better to do the shorter expeditions for the ancient coins?

4. Any other things I should keep in mind of while going through the story?

Sent you a friend request.

1. Maybe Carrot. Sraka should probably be the first to go. Get Deborah instead. Replace Chris once you get Jack and Kai whenever you get someone better like Mu. Kai is pretty good early on and his 3 skill can wreck things, but he doesn't have enough MP to use it frequently. People seem divided over whether Carrot or Jenny is better, though I think the current consensus Carrot for PvP and Jenny for PvE. I'm still using Carrot and just finished island 7 so she's still viable even later on.

2. I think 10 is pretty great since you get a 3rd expedition and a bunch of bonuses along the way. It's one of those things that pays off in the long run.

3. Based on what I read on the subreddit, it looks like the early expeditions give more ancient coins per hour, though this pattern breaks when you get to some of the late game continents. Of course you should pick whichever ones fit your schedule best as Verna's high rate doesn't mean anything if you only check every 3 hours. Also be sure to spend your coins daily since you can only buy 10 genes per character per day.

4. Not really sure what to say about this one. It's pretty easy through the first 2 islands, may require a bit of grinding for 3 and 4, and the difficulty starts ramping up around 5. For gene farming, focus on getting SS rank on hell mode for boss stages for the characters you use most. If you can't do it easily continue with the story and come back later. Once you get SS rank, you'll always get SS rewards regardless of your performance so you can auto through those levels (assuming the AI doesn't kill your whole team) to effortlessly farm.

Uthred

Sent you a friend request.

1. Maybe Carrot. Sraka should probably be the first to go. Get Deborah instead. Replace Chris once you get Jack and Kai whenever you get someone better like Mu. Kai is pretty good early on and his 3 skill can wreck things, but he doesn't have enough MP to use it frequently. People seem divided over whether Carrot or Jenny is better, though I think the current consensus Carrot for PvP and Jenny for PvE. I'm still using Carrot and just finished island 7 so she's still viable even later on.

2. I think 10 is pretty great since you get a 3rd expedition and a bunch of bonuses along the way. It's one of those things that pays off in the long run.

3. Based on what I read on the subreddit, it looks like the early expeditions give more ancient coins per hour, though this pattern breaks when you get to some of the late game continents. Of course you should pick whichever ones fit your schedule best as Verna's high rate doesn't mean anything if you only check every 3 hours. Also be sure to spend your coins daily since you can only buy 10 genes per character per day.

4. Not really sure what to say about this one. It's pretty easy through the first 2 islands, may require a bit of grinding for 3 and 4, and the difficulty starts ramping up around 5. For gene farming, focus on getting SS rank on hell mode for boss stages for the characters you use most. If you can't do it easily continue with the story and come back later. Once you get SS rank, you'll always get SS rewards regardless of your performance so you can auto through those levels (assuming the AI doesn't kill your whole team) to effortlessly farm.

I'd largely agree with this. I'd recommend using both Carrot and Jenny, they work well together (co-operation bonuses and Jenny's passive). Once you get their skills up and some good gear their final skills decimate stuff. My standard team at the moment is Mu, Deborah, Carrot, Jenny and Jack. Honestly I found Mu to be fairly disappointing, she takes a while to get and generally doesnt feel like you get sufficient payback for it. Her stun skill can be useful but feels a bit too situational (also more and more people in PvP will be immune to status so straight damage/crits will be king).

I'd say aim for expedition level 10 as soon as you can, it turns farming ancient coins from a chore into something which requires fairly little effort. Once you unlock the longer expeditions you can also boost newly acquired characters to 2 and 3 stars a lot quicker. I generally aim for the three longest missions as checking every half hour is just annoying, I easily get 200+ (usually around 225) a day with not much hassle (3 expedition slots and max the lord skill that reduces expedition time).

Cant think of any killer tips, as mentioned once you achieve a rank on a level you can then auto battle and get the same result even if it doesnt match the conditions e.g. if you manually clear a stage in 4 turns to get SS and then auto battle the same stage you'll always get SS even if it takes 5 or 6 turns. Apart from that any advice I can think off is fairly obvious:

- Complete all the daily achievements and daily dungeons (Nepthys for XP mats and whatever character genes you're farming)

- Dont rush to enhance your gear past 7 for a while as it can really burn up gold past that point and the enhancements arent massive

- After you get your expedition to level 10 focus on expanding your friends list to 100 as the extra energy, gear and other stuff you get from the friends point gacha more than makes up for it.

KimChi

Alright, thanks for the replies :)
I already want to replace Kai asap lol. Just got Deborah and probably going to replace Kai with Jenny since I'm a stage away from getting her gene.

Is there a particular potential that is overall better than the others or ones that you guys recommend?

Oh, and I haven't been able to find any accessories. I guess that is farmable from nephthys aside from pulling the black capsules?

Fishious

Alright, thanks for the replies :)
I already want to replace Kai asap lol. Just got Deborah and probably going to replace Kai with Jenny since I'm a stage away from getting her gene.

Is there a particular potential that is overall better than the others or ones that you guys recommend?

Oh, and I haven't been able to find any accessories. I guess that is farmable from nephthys aside from pulling the black capsules?

For potentials remember to level then to max, then modify. Potentials use the same rarity scale as equipment so the better the color, the stronger the effect will be. As for what stats to get, that depends on the hero. Attack and crit are pretty good, MP lets you use the more expensive skills more often, and apparently there are some ultra rare status immunity ones you can roll. I'd definitely reroll flat +dmg or dmg reduction as it has less impact the further you get whereas attack is scaled by skills.

Yeah, I think it's basically Nephthys sphinx for accessories, gold/black capsule, or rewards for some achievements and maybe sometimes daily logins. Most of my heroes are missing accessories because I've only done freebie capsules and sphinx drop rate seems pretty bad.

These heroes are OP, available early, and everyone should have them leveled up unless you have a really good reason not to:
Jack (Best boss killer where the hardest content in the game are bosses)
Deborah (Best AOE, so good that people run Chenny alongside her instead of replacing her)
Serendi (Best PvE, 75% wide area charm is too good)
Kai (Best Damager, the defense ignore on his 3rd skill is too good, he levels fast, easy to max skills, and you should load him up on MP so he can span his 3rd three times in a row)

Well, that's three rocks there, so most people drop one of their choice in favor of a balanced team.

Also, your gems should go expedition lvl 4 -> friends to 50 -> expedition lvl 10. After that you can either spend on coocoo dungeon resets, black capsules, or lord masteries.

Uthred

I dont think Kai is worth the investment, he drops off hard later in the game. He lasts a bit longer in PvP but in PvE he's outclassed by Jenny or Carrot

I dont think Kai is worth the investment, he drops off hard later in the game. He lasts a bit longer in PvP but in PvE he's outclassed by Jenny or Carrot

Well, to be fair, Kai does require main-team-ish investment in gear to shine. But he will reach max skill and first to 5* faster than any other save deb. This guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXK4rAydE-C2LQAhlryUKUg
is a rank 1 PvP player and he loves Kai. He even uses Kai in paper coocoo stage 10 dungeon over both carrot and jenny, despite the fact that they are all 5* and well-geared.

It's true that Kai does have weaknesses though, lack of MP being primary, so while he is OP and a great starter a person could find good reasons to move on from Kai.

KimChi

apparently there are some ultra rare status immunity ones you can roll

Actually got stun immunity first roll on deborah after getting her to 3 star lol.
Specifically says 'Stun Immunity (on the 3rd slot only)' so I guess the 4th and 5th slot might have status immunity exclusive to them?

Uthred

Actually got stun immunity first roll on deborah after getting her to 3 star lol.
Specifically says 'Stun Immunity (on the 3rd slot only)' so I guess the 4th and 5th slot might have status immunity exclusive to them?

You can check what you can roll for each slot in-game on the potentials screen, hit modify, hit the magnifying glass. Stun on 3rd slot, confusion on 4th, charm on 5th.

Xetherion

Hey guys, i just started playing this a few days ago and i'm liking it so far. I'm about halfway through Company, using Kai, Carrot, Deborah, Lance, and Alfred in my party, all at 2*. I have 0 friends in game though, so i sent requests to some of you whose names i saw in this thread. My IGN is Xetherion if you want to add me, i'm on android.

Is there a strategy site somewhere with suggested builds for heroes? I've gotten a couple Legendary pieces of equipment, one of which i already put on Alfred without thinking about it being bound. I don't want to put any more Legendaries on though and then have to unbind them later.

Fishious

Hey guys, i just started playing this a few days ago and i'm liking it so far. I'm about halfway through Company, using Kai, Carrot, Deborah, Lance, and Alfred in my party, all at 2*. I have 0 friends in game though, so i sent requests to some of you whose names i saw in this thread. My IGN is Xetherion if you want to add me, i'm on android.

Is there a strategy site somewhere with suggested builds for heroes? I've gotten a couple Legendary pieces of equipment, one of which i already put on Alfred without thinking about it being bound. I don't want to put any more Legendaries on though and then have to unbind them later.

I freed up a spot and sent you a request.

There's /r/fantasywartactics and apparently a forum which seem to have some info. You're at 2* so you've probably noticed you can have both a 1* and a 2* set equipped. The standard loadout for most heroes is swords and armor (and whatever kind of accessory you can get since they're fairly rare). There are a few characters where you may want to deviate from this a bit though. Carrot benefits from having a few bows on her and Deborah can as well. You'll probably also want boots on Carrot since she's pretty much a glass cannon and only gets glassier later on to the point additional armor may not prevent her from being one-shotted. Maces and shields are generally only considered (and still contentious) for characters like Jack, Unknown, or Nox who life steal on hit.

If you have any individual set items, I'd hold onto them until you've played a bit more. If you've somehow already got a full set (which I highly doubt) people discuss that sort of stuff on reddit/forum.

The other thing to keep in mind is potentials. These are the extra effects on your equipment which are randomly rolled. Try to put one's that match the character's stats or style. Like put "gain attack based on % of MP" on heros with lots of MP, "extra dmg to boss" on someone like Jack, etc.

Xetherion

I freed up a spot and sent you a request.

There's /r/fantasywartactics and apparently a forum which seem to have some info. You're at 2* so you've probably noticed you can have both a 1* and a 2* set equipped. The standard loadout for most heroes is swords and armor (and whatever kind of accessory you can get since they're fairly rare). There are a few characters where you may want to deviate from this a bit though. Carrot benefits from having a few bows on her and Deborah can as well. You'll probably also want boots on Carrot since she's pretty much a glass cannon and only gets glassier later on to the point additional armor may not prevent her from being one-shotted. Maces and shields are generally only considered (and still contentious) for characters like Jack, Unknown, or Nox who life steal on hit.

If you have any individual set items, I'd hold onto them until you've played a bit more. If you've somehow already got a full set (which I highly doubt) people discuss that sort of stuff on reddit/forum.

The other thing to keep in mind is potentials. These are the extra effects on your equipment which are randomly rolled. Try to put one's that match the character's stats or style. Like put "gain attack based on % of MP" on heros with lots of MP, "extra dmg to boss" on someone like Jack, etc.

Right on, thanks!

Vex_

Banned
So wait... You can give any unit any weapon? If so, what's the point of having different designs for different weapons if you can give an Archer a sword, but he still shoots?

Lol?

Mknzy

I just got started and am really enjoying this game so far! I am currently breaking into chapter 4, and just made Chris into my first 3* character. The thing I am running into however is that I can't find anybody that I send a friend request to that is an active player. In the friends page, the most recent player that came up hadn't played in 16 days. I would love to get some actual friends on my list, if anybody here has open slots.

Fishious

I just got started and am really enjoying this game so far! I am currently breaking into chapter 4, and just made Chris into my first 3* character. The thing I am running into however is that I can't find anybody that I send a friend request to that is an active player. In the friends page, the most recent player that came up hadn't played in 16 days. I would love to get some actual friends on my list, if anybody here has open slots.

I'm assuming your in game name is Mknzy? I just sent a request to you. Or somebody else with that username.

Anyways, you should go into chat and say "add me" or look for others saying that. That's probably the best way to fill out your friends list.

Xetherion

Post your IGN and i'll open a slot and send you a request. Active daily, have a 4* Deb as my Merc.

Mknzy

Yes, my IGN is Mknzy as well. I'll look into going into chat as you suggested. Thanks! My current Merc is my 3* Chris as that is my strongest character I have right now.

Mknzy

Sent you a friend req!

Accepted it, thanks! Got my second 3* last night, promoted Kai, and I have 3 other characters that are only 10 levels or less away from 3* so hopefully I should be able to field a full 3* party soon! Hoping to start breaking into chapter 4 at that point.

Fishious

After a few months I finally got Lena! Now I just need to level her.

And get her equipment.
And roll potentials.
...and skill her up...

This had better be worth it. DB is such a pain. I read that they're supposed to be patching it eventually so that set effects aren't active for the enemy team, but right now it's a ton of effort for me to do those last few levels because of it.

Mknzy

I'm probably the newest player here, but I'll make it if nobody else wants to. Just let me know if you need me to.

Fishious

I'd be interested in a GAF guild as well. The only question is how many active players do we currently have? I believe guilds can only hold 20 players, but judging by how rarely anyone posts I wonder if we even have that many.

Shurayuki

Yeah there probably aren't that many.

I searched for 'NeoGAF' and there was already a guild though, created by 'inbachi'? Searched this thread but couldn't find that name, anyone know who that is? Global server of course.
There is somebody on reddit at least with that name who plays FWT, hm...

Fishious

Yeah there probably aren't that many.

I searched for 'NeoGAF' and there was already a guild though, created by 'inbachi'? Searched this thread but couldn't find that name, anyone know who that is? Global server of course.
There is somebody on reddit at least with that name who plays FWT, hm...

I hope it's just a well intentioned lurker and not someone stealing the name for the lulz.

Mknzy

Would you like me to just go ahead and create one since he isn't in the thread? If so, just let me know.

Quixzlizx

I'm thinking of trying this game, but does anyone know why it needs some of the shadier permissions like app history and call information?

Fishious

I'm thinking of trying this game, but does anyone know why it needs some of the shadier permissions like app history and call information?

No idea. I was a bit apprehensive about this too. I can't think of any good reason for them to need that info. I did a quick check on the subreddit and forum and didn't turn up anything. I haven't noticed any issues due to it, but I'd still rather they not ask for those permissions if they don't need them or disclose why they need them if they are.

Shurayuki

Well the NeoGAF guild still has no members so I dunno.

Maybe we should go ahead and make a guild, whatever. Can invite the ppl posting here and then fill it up with randoms.

I'm LoVendoR btw., feel free to add/invite me.

Might want to notify the the japanese gacha game thread too...

Mknzy

Maybe we should go ahead and make a guild, whatever. Can invite the ppl posting here and then fill it up with randoms.

Sent you a friend request, I'm Mknzy in the game.

Xetherion

Friend request sent.

Top Bottom