• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 Announced, more details coming soon

Kuraudo

Banned
I only made it halfway through 3 and 4 before getting tired of them, but a modern day Western would definitely get me interested in this one.

Strax

Good idea - Justified-type game where it's cops vs. small time criminals in a grey area of society where everyone is playing each other for money and power

Bad idea - Hero Cop™ fights aw shucks hillbillies who are Christian/God crazy cultists and maybe some timely Donald Trump references!

It's Ubisoft so I'm gonna guess it's the latter.

tbf Justified has some of your bad idea except for DT.

giphy.gif

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
man the mention of ubisoft working on a pirate game made me really hope it was farcry dont think im interested in another modern day farcry

FelipeMGM

Someone asked in the conference call if the game was western themed and Yves refused comment on that. He said details will be shared soon, so nothing today it seems

bud23

People talking about Justified, Longmire or Hell or High Water

Do you really believe that the most annoying writers in the industry, the pretentious,mawkish nerds at Ubisoft will be able to create something like that? Pls

People talking about Justified, Longmire or Hell or High Water

Do you really believe that the most annoying writers in the industry, the pretentious,mawkish nerds at Ubisoft will be able to create something like that? Pls
It's merely providing context for the kind of general atmosphere one might expect from a Far Cry in this setting

Not that the game will be anywhere as good as those

Backlogger

Ubisoft pretty much started the new trend with Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Which was excellent and i hope they do sequel to that some day.

Yeah, they were definitely ahead of the game

I also think Strange Things kicked things up a notch. Keep hearing similar music in other shows (Like Legion on FX) and people creating "title" logos to look more like they did in the 80s.

I'd love to see them attempt an original-FarCry/Crysis-style game--not open world, but with open levels with many possible approaches. I'm just so sick of the open-world bullshit at this point.

Bizzquik

This announcement is so barebones that they didn't even bother to fill in the font?

LoL

Tangent: This series needs a considerable reinvention. Far Cry 4 was just Far Cry 3: The Michael Bay Edition. Even with the Survival Mode, Far Cry: Primal is struggling to keep my interest; very formulaic.

PSOreo

Exciting! I really enjoyed 3 and just working through 4 as part of my current backlouge. I'm holding out hope for 'Blood Dragon 2'.

Frostman

LoL

Tangent: This series needs a considerable reinvention. Far Cry 4 was just Far Cry 3: The Michael Bay Edition. Even with the Survival Mode, Far Cry: Primal is struggling to keep my interest; very formulaic.

Yep, that's exactly my problem. F3 was my favourite, 4 I couldn't finish because it felt like the same game and I ended up getting burnt out. Primal I waited for opinions on, only then to be told it was the same game again but with a different coat of painting. I didn't bother buying it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Old West Montana = instant buy
Modern day Montana = massive uphill struggle to part me with my money.

LOL!! I'd agree but.. it doesn't sound like there's much difference between them.

http://mt.gov/discover/brief_history.mcpx

Pre-1840s - Native Americans land.
Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804-1806 - White people came
1860s-Discovery of gold brought more white people
1876/1877 - Battle of Little Bighorn/Big Hole Basin

pre-1870, mostly mining town communities, post-1869 open cattle ranching communities were the main sources of income.

1880's - Railroads

1909 - Enlarged Homestead Act - Thousands of wheat farmers came.

WW1 and WW2 brought depression from which the state relies much on Federal spending to survive.

Montana's post-war society has evolved significantly during the "modern" era. Still predominantly white, it has experienced the building of bridges with Indian communities, the acceptance of ethnic immigrants, the development of a Hutterite network, and the emergence of white-supremacist cells. Population fluctuations cost Montana a U.S. House seat in the 1990s and have kept the total population under 900,000. Population shifts have loaded Montana's people in the western one-third of the state and "emptied out" eastern Montana's vast spaces.

While some national observers consider Montana a part of America's "cultural outback," many Montanans pride themselves on their strong spirit of community, their close contact with the environment, and their fundamental "sense of place." The debate continues.

Sounds like a great place for a game! LOL. Also, sounds like modern Montana may be reasonably similar looking to older Montana. I don't live there, so I don't really know.

Hoping for more diverse enemies this time. It got rediculous on FC4 where it felt like I was fighting clones (and seeing the same female resistance members over and over).

DirtyLarry

Ubisoft are not exactly known for especially critical or politically interesting writing, though. Whenever they try to do something in those realms, it always comes across extremely heavy-handed -- a result, I think, of the size of the company and the money involved. They're extremely risk and controversy averse, and FC5 will be no different, should it end up as per your speculation.
Yeah as more_badass pointed out, I think they had a pretty solid attempt with Watch Dogs 2 myself. So you never know, they may dial it up some more. Now is no doubt the time to do so.

So what are you guys thinking it is? Like RDR or actually modern setting. I'm going with the latter because, correct me if I'm wrong this hasn't been done a whole lot before.

Far Cry games seem like games I should enjoy, but I just don't. I tried three a few times, and bounced right off of four. I haven't quite been able to put into words what puts me off so hard, but I think it's just the general Ubisoft way of making their open world games into nagging simulators.

I just want someone to create Skyrim or Breath of the Wild, except a quality FPS (I enjoyed Fallout 4, but it wasn't a quality FPS). I prefer open world games that don't tell me what to do and encourage me to just wander around and find stuff. Maybe Far Cry 5 will be that?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol these morons havent learned a single thing from Sony. This is not how you announce a game. FFS.

heklu

Neo Member
I want a western setting so bad! I didn't play any Far Cry game very long. I just played Far Cray 3 for like 5 hours. But if it'll be a western setting, I'll give this series a try.

Top Bottom