• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

OCD Guy

Not sure what some people were expecting.

Look at how many copies Fifa 18 sells on PS4 for example compared to the number of PS4 owners, now look at Fifa 18 on Switch and how many it has sold compared to the number of owners.

The ratio is about the same.....

The mental hoops some people jump through in this thread is amazing. How bout we just accept the fact that the Switch version of Fifa 18 bombed horribly and just hope Switch continues getting 3rd party support from EA? I mean there's no other word for it. These sales fucking suck. But I dont think EA will give up after one title.

Fifa 19 will likely be a legacy edition with just updated rosters.

On another note I think the lack of a demo is certainly not going to help sales. EA should just put one up now, it certainly won't make sales worse than they currently are. I for one am not willing to buy this game blind, especially with the price it's at.

Forum users seem pretty positive about the gameplay but EA arent giving a good impression, no gameplay sceenshots on the Eshop and no demo almost paint the picture they're hiding something lol.

nampad

The mental hoops some people jump through in this thread is amazing. How bout we just accept the fact that the Switch version of Fifa 18 bombed horribly and just hope Switch continues getting 3rd party support from EA? I mean there's no other word for it. These sales fucking suck. But I dont think EA will give up after one title.

They gave up on Vita, which apparently had better sales even though the device did worse.
And EA has been always known for their unprecedented Nintendo support.

FIFA was virtually gone from Nintendo platforms for a long time.

I think the new one is selling quite well, especially if compared to past Nintendo versions.

I'm not exactly sure what people in this thread were expecting. FIFA Switch can't compare to other versions (ads, install base, content).

And the next one should sell more. It's all about building an audience, and that's exactly what EA is doing. It's a good game and people ARE buying it, worldwide, not just the UK. Bloop.

Shiggy

Look at how many copies Fifa 18 sells on PS4 for example compared to the number of PS4 owners, now look at Fifa 18 on Switch and how many it has sold compared to the number of owners.

There are over 15 million PS4 systems in the UK? I somehow doubt that.

go6

Neo Member

No, it's not. The PS4 version sold around 60 times more than the switch version

OCD Guy

I'm an idiot, I thought it was worldwide sales, yes even though it CLEARLY says UK in the thread title lol

If worldwide sales for Fifa were the UK numbers then my post would have made some sense......

nampad

I expected it to be a home run though:
__YyyRONWn2D1qLWFFtKMMfTTNvvkBSRqzK4A5dPMgU.jpg

The sales are certainly disappointing imo. That said you gotta start somewhere so I would imagine that if EA continues with this edition it will have a better result next year. We'll have to see if the legs are decent.

nampad

The sales are certainly disappointing imo. That said you gotta start somewhere so I would imagine that if EA continues with this edition it will have a better result next year. We'll have to see if the legs are decent.

Even if EA continues, I am not sure it is anything EA can built upon. If the sales of Fifa 18 stay this bad, the bad word of mouth will put the final nail in it.

The selffulfilling prophecy that Fifa does not sell on Nintendo will get to the ones who bought it this year. Why should they keep buying the Switch version when the online will possibly have a low playercount and the game will not be on par with other versions again?

They already have bought the last years version and can continue playing that. If they would be serious about Fifa, they would have bought another version from the get go anyway.

MisterR

I think the new one is selling quite well, especially if compared to past Nintendo versions.

I'm not exactly sure what people in this thread were expecting. FIFA Switch can't compare to other versions (ads, install base, content).

And the next one should sell more. It's all about building an audience, and that's exactly what EA is doing. It's a good game and people ARE buying it, worldwide, not just the UK. Bloop.

FIFA Switch is a huge flop. It's selling about 1-2% of total sold, so if FIFA sells 10 million copies the Switch version may sell 200k, that's awful. It may be enough to cover the port though. So Switch will probably at least get a legacy edition next year.

Kyzer

Banned
I gotta say to track a release for literally 3 days and begin declaring it's failure is a little premature. Maybe let a month of sales happen

Even if EA continues, I am not sure it is anything EA can built upon. If the sales of Fifa 18 stay this bad, the bad word of mouth will put the final nail in it.

The selffulfilling prophecy that Fifa does not sell on Nintendo will get to the ones who bought it this year. Why should they keep buying the Switch version when the online will possibly have a low playercount and the game will not be on par with other versions again?

They already have bought the last years version and can continue playing that. If they would be serious about Fifa, they would have bought another version from the get go anyway.

It really depends. Like I said, you have ro start somewhere. They havent released a FiFa in 5 years on Nintendo platforms so they have to build up reputation and good will with tge userbase.

I still think the sales are bad regardless but I think if next year they come correct with a better effort they should continue to see sales rise. The goal is to get new players. Not shift them from other systems so they cant do their quick release and dump strategy.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

Kyzer

Banned
Look, someone who didn't read the rest of the thread. This isn't about 3 days anymore.

Oh no how dare I

What a fucking newb video game forum poster I am to not have picked up on a detail that was addressed in a thread

Everyone look at me, another person who didn't read the rest of the thread guys, might as well commit sudoku now

So have sales come out for more than the initial weekend ? Or?

I'm curious what EA does with Fifa (and other games) on the Switch. Imo if they are smart, they'll continue to support the Switch and actually put more effort behind it. Sales will almost certainly go up significantly considering how well Switch sells.

Shiggy

Oh no how dare I

What a fucking newb video game forum poster I am to not have picked up on a detail that was addressed in a thread

Everyone look at me, another person who didn't read the rest of the thread guys, might as well commit sudoku now

So have sales come out for more than the initial weekend ? Or?

lol

I'm curious what EA does with Fifa (and other games) on the Switch. Imo if they are smart, they'll continue to support the Switch and actually put more effort behind it. Sales will almost certainly go up significantly considering how well Switch sells.

They'll probably bring their games to Switch where it makes sense, as the Fe announcement has already shown.

Kyzer

Banned
I guess this puts the legend that it was all due to stock issues to rest:

Code:
[Week 39, 2017] 01 (NE) FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 831,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2017] 01 (01) FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 257,600 / 1,088,600 [-69%]
[Week 41, 2017] 01 (01) FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 115,900 / 1,204,500 [-55%]

Approximate numbers for the Switch version:
Week 1: 8,300 (1% of total sales)
Week 2: 2,600 (1% of total sales)
Week 3: 2,300 (2% of total sales)

Ok that doesn't look too good.

17 (17) NSW FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
18 (08) 360 FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
19 (10) XBO DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

UK numbers.

Switch version managed to outsell Destiny 2 XBO and keep steady in comparison to last week sales while last gen version fell like a rock. Fifa 18 Switch is also among the best selling titles on eshop on many countries. Also, last gen Fifa versions are front loaded, they will loose legs in the long run, while Switch version will probably keep selling decently. Yes, it's not doing PS4/XBO numbers but, trolls/detractors are trying to build a dichotomy based on it to dismiss Switch sales and call it a "bomb", but that's a faulty rhetoric. Those "bombed" claims sound exaggerated.

EA would be foolish to ignore a potential hot new, very popular and constantly rising market they could foster and make money at it.

jts

...hate me...
FIFA Switch is a huge flop. It's selling about 1-2% of total sold, so if FIFA sells 10 million copies the Switch version may sell 200k, that's awful. It may be enough to cover the port though. So Switch will probably at least get a legacy edition next year.
I seriously doubt FIFA 18 Switch will sell only 200k. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closer to 1M LTD worldwide when all is said and done than to 200k.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I think I will buy FIFA on switch. It will be my first FIFA game, or professional soccer game, but I really do think it will pick up once the supply isn't constrained. I bet it will do much better in America. I agree with the above post. All of the big titles on Switch are selling like absolute hot cakes, so a big international sports game on the switch makes perfect sense. The sales will pick up. It wouldn't be crazy to think FIFA might take majority numbers from PS4 by the end of the life cycle. It's anecdotal, but the sheer amount of people turning to switch only are too hard to ignore, it's good they can take their sport franchises with them.

I bet a pretty penny Madden will KILL it on switch in America once it comes over. Live is quickly closing the gap on 2k18 which is absolutely amazing on switch anyway.

gtj1092

UK numbers.

Switch version managed to outsell Destiny 2 XBO and keep steady in comparison to last week sales while last gen version fell like a rock. Fifa 18 Switch is also among the best selling titles on eshop on many countries. Also, last gen Fifa versions are front loaded, they will loose legs in the long run, while Switch version will probably keep selling decently. Yes, it's not doing PS4/XBO numbers but, trolls/detractors are trying to build a dichotomy based on it to dismiss Switch sales and call it a "bomb", but that's a faulty rhetoric. Those "bombed" claims sound exaggerated.

EA would be foolish to ignore a potential hot new, very popular and constantly rising market they could foster and make money at it.
You do realize Destiny did pretty bad at retail in the UK right on top of the fact that FIFAs launch was 5 times as big as Destiny 2.

Kyzer

Banned
UK numbers.

Not sure if relieved @ possibility of switch FIFA selling decent in the end or absolutely terrified at Xbox destiny 2 numbers

TZchassis

Inferior version in many ways (Graphics, Modes, Online Play).
No marketing efforts.
Relatively small install base.
Typical Nintendo user base don't usually buy soccer games.

Even with all these things being considered the sales are lower than I expected.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I think it's worth noting that not only is FIFA on switch supply constrained, Switch itself is very supply constrained. These numbers do NOT accurately reflect the interest in FIFA on switch and I hope EA is well aware of this. Check back in a year after Swtch has one Christmas under its belt.

Shiggy

I think it's worth noting that not only is FIFA on switch supply constrained, Switch itself is very supply constrained. These numbers do NOT accurately reflect the interest in FIFA on switch and I hope EA is well aware of this. Check back in a year after Swtch has one Christmas under its belt.

Switch is not supply constrained in Europe. FIFA 18 is not supply constrained in Europe.

Bazry

Not when theres 100m+ PS4/XB1 units out there compared to about 5m Switch's

People need to get a grip of their expectations, Fifa on Switch is a growing market for EA and needs to be treated as such

Even with all these things being considered the sales are lower than I expected.

No they are not, not for UK. Honestly probably bigger than expected for a Switch game in UK, that released in the state and circumstances you described.

I know many (core) gamers that buy a lot of games on Switch but purposely avoided Fifa because how bad EA handled the game and the marketing. Funny thing is that most wanted to buy it, when it was announced.

By the way, I never saw a physical version of the game at retail. Even some Indie games had been shipped better. It really seems that EA wanted the game to fail or didn't care at all.

Shiggy

No they are not, not for UK. Honestly probably bigger than expected for a Switch game in UK, that released in the state and circumstances you described.

I know many (core) gamers that buy a lot of games on Switch but purposely avoided Fifa because how bad EA handled the game and the marketing. Funny thing is that most wanted to buy it, when it was announced.

By the way, I never saw a physical version of the game at retail. Even some Indie games had been shipped better. It really seems that EA wanted the game to fail or didn't care at all.

EA only ships what retailers order. They can't send copies to retailers if they don't want them.

AllGamer

Just checked Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, and Amazon.es. All of them have Fifa 18 for Switch in stock and all of them have the Switch in stock in gray and neon red/blue. Doesn't seem supply constrained to me.

nampad

It really depends. Like I said, you have ro start somewhere. They havent released a FiFa in 5 years on Nintendo platforms so they have to build up reputation and good will with tge userbase.

I still think the sales are bad regardless but I think if next year they come correct with a better effort they should continue to see sales rise. The goal is to get new players. Not shift them from other systems so they cant do their quick release and dump strategy.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

Yes, I suppose we'll see what happens.
Personally, I don't think the Nintendo fanbase is interested in Fifa games and even if they are, it will always be a worse version compared to the other ones.

Yes, there are still new Fifa players but those get absorbed into the existing ecosystems where most of the players are, including their friends.

A lot of ports have failed on Nintendo and people keep pushing the blame onto the publishers and developers alone.

Just checked Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, and Amazon.es. All of them have Fifa 18 for Switch in stock and all of them have the Switch in stock in gray and neon red/blue. Doesn't seem supply constrained to me.

In fact, you could buy a new Switch for around 280 € quite often here in Germany.
Anyway, people will keep regurgitate the same excuses over and over.

zelas

But its the only portable version of FIFA 18. And portability has been seen as the key selling point for countless Switch games. It had zero competition in that area.

Top Bottom