• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

Seriously its been out like 2 whole weeks, are its sales very poor in comparisson to 4/bone? Yrs, will it eventually hit a respectable total? Quite likely

Yes, I suppose we'll see what happens.
Personally, I don't think the Nintendo fanbase is interested in Fifa games and even if they are, it will always be a worse version compared to the other ones.

I think Fifa is a title where the people interested in it have been conditioned to buy it on other platforms for years. The WiiU only got one Fifa title and the Wii had legacy versions for a while. I think if they want to build the brand they have to commit to releasing a good product for a couple of years.

Yes, there are still new Fifa players but those get absorbed into the existing ecosystems where most of the players are, including their friends.

In general yeah I agree but if EA actually wants to have Fifa on Nintendo systems they have to release good versions. I still think it's a good idea for them ro release good Switch versions simply because the system will be a better performer than the Xbox One in Europe for the long hall

A lot of ports have failed on Nintendo and people keep pushing the blame onto the publishers and developers alone.

I personally thought this would perform a lot better than it did. I still think the game needed to be a better effort and they should have just ported Frostbite and had a full feature game but ultimately sales this bad imo point to other problems. Still, it's early. By next year when the holidays are over we will have a better idea of how the legs look. Right now it's pretty crap though.

Shiggy

There were stock issues with fifa on launch week, would it have sold hundreds of thousands with out them? No of course not but it would have sold better than it did

Given the sales in week 2 and 3, that either doesn't seem to be the case or the stock issues were vastly overstated.

It's below the ps3 version in France

Switch percentage sales in France can't be much more if it's below PS3. Spain, Italy, Holland etc are going to be tiny in sales.

Not sure what people are expecting. FIFA on Switch is just a novelty at this point. It's such a long standing title on PlayStation and Xbox.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Given the sales in week 2 and 3, that either doesn't seem to be the case or the stock issues were vastly overstated.
No stock at launch may have increased eshop sales. To what extent? No idea, how is FIFA ranking in UK and Germany eshops? In France there was no shortage and yet it’s in 2nd position (which is really surprising considering it’s sold full price there, whereas it can be found way cheaper in most stores).

No stock at launch may have increased eshop sales. To what extent? No idea, how is FIFA ranking in UK and Germany eshops? In France there was no shortage and yet it’s in 2nd position (which is really surprising considering it’s sold full price there, whereas it can be found way cheaper in most stores).

Its number 8 at the moment in the uk, it has been much higher

Shiggy

We only have chart positions, and we know that the digital share of retail games on Nintendo platforms in Europe was extremely low.

Fiendcode

Nintendo platforms. It's rather unlikely that this changed on Switch all of a sudden when nothing surrounding the eShop pricing has changed.
Considering how many digital only games are globally breaking targets, I’d imagine Switch’s eShop is indeed an improvement over Wii U and 3DS. Why exactly wouldn’t it be? Has PS4 improved over PS3?

TLZ

Banned
UK doesn't really matter, it will all dependo how this version does in Switch stronger countries.
Er.. UK IS FIFA territory. If it doesn't do well there then it's bust.

I told you all before, and I'll say it again, FIFA hardcore are on more powerful hardware. They're not going to suddenly drop that and go for last gen version. That's just not happening. They're deep in a 2 decade long competition with ISS/PES/WE. There are other reasons and factors you non hardcore FIFA and PES fans don't know about. Unless switch suddenly looks and plays identical to current gen FIFA, just forget it. A different crowd with different needs.

Casuals can go ahead and buy a game of football on their switch or just to support it but it won't change a thing.

Shiggy

Considering how many digital only games are globally breaking targets, I’d imagine Switch’s eShop is indeed an improvement over Wii U and 3DS. Why exactly wouldn’t it be? Has PS4 improved over PS3?

I just post the numbers that we have to ask what kind of improvements you think there'd be:
screenshot2017-10-16akxskm.png

Do you think the share suddenly jumped to 40%? And while unlikely, even that wouldn't make the FIFA sales numbers much better.

marc^o^

I'm just using the data we have, instead of starting completely baseless speculation like "it's doing really well on eShop".
Data we have on Switch vs « Nintendo platforms » show games topping eshop charts are suprisingly successful.

Mikey Jr.

Just checked Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, and Amazon.es. All of them have Fifa 18 for Switch in stock and all of them have the Switch in stock in gray and neon red/blue. Doesn't seem supply constrained to me.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Do you want to shatter this man's mind!??

I think it's worth noting that not only is FIFA on switch supply constrained, Switch itself is very supply constrained. These numbers do NOT accurately reflect the interest in FIFA on switch and I hope EA is well aware of this. Check back in a year after Swtch has one Christmas under its belt.

Of course. People in UK are waiting around the block for a switch and fifa for switch. I've seen it myself. Riots. Fights. You name it. All for fifa switch.

How many Switches are in the UK? 300k at most? Most of the peeps who bought it already have a FIFA console, most likely a PS4.

So it is no surprise that FIFA Switch is such a low %. And I doubt that EA didn't know it. FIFA will sell more in the coming moths, especially after Christmas when there's lots of new consoles.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of dads bought a Switch for the younguns so they can play on the PS4/XBOne...

Fiendcode

I just post the numbers that we have to ask what kind of improvements you think there'd be:

Do you think the share suddenly jumped to 40%? And while unlikely, even that wouldn't make the FIFA sales numbers much better.
I’m not saying digital saved FIFA Switch. I am saying your claim Switch eShop take is insignificant based on old 3DS/Wii U data is unlikely though.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Switch is not supply constrained in Europe. FIFA 18 is not supply constrained in Europe.

Anecdotal, I am in Barcelona and the big FNAC didn't have any switches, nor the cool videogame store in Sitges. In any case, it's still going to do much better once Nintendo powers through the holidays. I'm sure first years sports franchises don't do well on consoles. Let's wait until next year's version to see if it sells well on switch or not.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
What kind of sales did NBA 2k18 do on switch? Just based on neogaf, a substantial amount of people went ahead and switched platforms to buy 2k18 on. People don't seem to mind the frame rate drop, and I don't think the game made any compromises besides that. I'm guessing you need to count digital sales too. I buy all digitally on switch, and I know 2k18 had that issue with the huge manditory download.

I feel like the point has been brought up, but I'm sure there's a robust impact from digital sales on FIFA?

Anyway, If the 2k threads here are any indication, sports games are just another feather in the Switch cap.

Oh yeah, if they go full legacy it will sell so much.

Seriously why is everyone so convinced of them going the legacy route next year, I'm certain this years will be profitable for them and next year there'll be like 4 times as many switches as now so should be able to sell a decent amounta

Schnozberry

Seriously why is everyone so convinced of them going the legacy route next year, I'm certain this years will be profitable for them and next year there'll be like 4 times as many switches as now so should be able to sell a decent amounta

A lot of people's economics seem to be based on the port being extremely expensive to make and the market for Switch not improving at all between now and next year.

A lot of people's economics seem to be based on the port being extremely expensive to make and the market for Switch not improving at all between now and next year.

If we take a guestimate at 100k sales so far worldwide and bag of a fag packet maths at EA making 25 bucks a copy that'd be 2.5 million dollars revenue so far which would be significantly at the high end for any port costs

go6

Neo Member

Is eShop rank based on unit or revenue?

jts

...hate me...
Because people already had their feelings hurt when they were counting on this year's FIFA for Switch being called legacy or other spin-off moniker, that they are moving the goalposts to next year.

If there's a FIFA on Switch next year it will be FIFA 19. 100% not called legacy, lol. That's ridiculous.

Which is not to say it won't be a piss poor effort on all fronts, as it is this year already.

marc^o^

Oh yeah, if they go full legacy it will sell so much.
We had these kinds of posts for months before FIFA 18 launch. Game just launched being a legit version, despite cuts on corners.

Sure it’s definitely not a Nintendo like success, but it has more than likely sold over 100k at retail WW, and who knows how much in digital. Switch’s userbase will double, triple in little time and with world cup happening next june, FIFA sales will be sustained longer than usual.

EA being EA, seeing the glass half empty is not crazy, maybe they’ll stop efforts as early as next year. But it’s just as likely, if not more considering Switch’s rapid growth, that EA will try to do better next year, with more time to develop on this platform.

Personally, I just don't see the appeal of FIFA on Switch. I want to play it with my mates and if we had a choice of playing the Switch version or the PS4 version, there's no question I'd rather play it on the PS4.

I would imagine that's Occam's Razor for you.

There are other multiplat games I'd prefer to play on Switch (Sonic Mania, even I am Setsuna), but I want the whiz-bang of FIFA or NBA2K on XB1/PS4. I don't care for the portability of FIFA, I want to play with my mates, and (kind of strangely), I don't realy see the Switch ad fulfilling that role for me.

marc^o^

Personally, I just don't see the appeal of FIFA on Switch.
I’ll give you a use case: last weekend I was in Etretat, north of France, and I played FIFA 3 hours while it rained, online through my 4G connexion. Out of all games I have, that’s the one I wanted to play the most, because I don’t like any series just as much as FIFA.

I’ll give you a use case: last weekend I was in Etretat, north of France, and I played FIFA 3 hours while it rained. Out of all games I have, that’s the one I wanted to play the most, because I don’t like any series just as much as FIFA.
Fair enough, but I did say personally, and I'm thinking more with multiplayer FIFA. I've bought FIFA on PSP and Vita myself, but I know I'm only buying it to play by myself.

Look, the Switch is great, and I want more games on it so I have the option, but my default right now isn't just to buy a game if it's available on Switch. Having options means I can choose if I want my mates to play online with (PS4), having my current favourite controller to use (XB1) or portability.

But that's just me.

The portabilty factor and multiplayer will become far more appealing next year when the switch has grown to a healthy userbase and local multi becomes a viable option

jts

...hate me...
What? That doesn't make any sense, you can play with random people now already. You can't play with friends, that's the issue, and one year won't change that at all.
It can change, though. There are many issues that devs or publishers won't bother to patch in yearly sequels when they can just push it next year and drop it as a new feature. It certainly has happened with FIFA too.

Top Bottom