• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 2-8 | The Final Kountdown

casperOne

I've been busy the past few days, what did I miss?

And not just any update, but the 4th major update to a game released in 2008/9. Zzz.

NRS is about to push out their second mainline MK title before Capcom can greenlight SFV, SMH.

Is there an expectation here that this really won't be MK 9.1? Meaning, I don't expect any radical new gameplay mechanics, I don't expect new animations or engines, etc, etc.

My exepectation is that they are calling it MK 10 but it's going to be no different than what we'd expect from Super, AE, AE 2012, or Ultra; the same core engine with additions that don't require a complete shift from the current course MK 9 is on.

From the old thread

Seeing the SFxT stages in Ultra make me so happy that they toned down the contrast on all of the assets that they brought in from SFxT.

I've been busy the past few days, what did I miss?

Is there an expectation here that this really won't be MK 9.1? Meaning, I don't expect any radical new gameplay mechanics, I don't expect new animations or engines, etc, etc.

My exepectation is that they are calling it MK 10 but it's going to be no different than what we'd expect from Super, AE, AE 2012, or Ultra; the same core engine with additions that don't require a complete shift from the current course MK 9 is on.

Seeing the SFxT stages in Ultra make me so happy that they toned down the contrast on all of the assets that they brought in from SFxT.

Agreed. I liked how busy those stages were but I honestly find Melting Factory or whatever to be meh.

That also made me think of something. Did they change the size of the stages to fit into USF4? By that I mean, the stages in SFxT were wider so did they change the wall limits to suit USF4?

casperOne

That also made me think of something. Did they change the size of the stages to fit into USF4? By that I mean, the stages in SFxT were wider so did they change the wall limits to suit USF4?

I believe they did. I think there was conversation here a few weeks ago about the Mad Gear gang stage, as it's probably one of the widest stages in SFxT by far.

alstein

Alright, fair enough, but still.

It's clear that it's their choice to go where they've been going, regardless of hardware power so that's on them I guess. A lot of it simply being just terrible choices or terrible coding, like whatever it was that player 1 always won in Injustice (I think it was trading hits or air grabs, can't remember). I won't hate, I'll just continue to have no interest in their games like I've had since Ultimate MK3.

They have more experience under their belt now, and I think they've been told what was stupid enough already.

MK10 is pretty much their final exam to me whether they're going to be a legit FG dev or a fraudulent AAA experience posing as a FG.

.la1n

I hope we see some game play from MK today because my primary concern with NRS fighters is if they can improve on the jank animation and character models. Looking forward to playing some Ultra Street Fighter IV tonight as well.

And not just any update, but the 4th major update to a game released in 2008/9. Zzz.

NRS is about to push out their second mainline MK title before Capcom can greenlight SFV, SMH.

Anyways, looking forward to the announcement in the morning. Excited about so many different things: the art style, engine (UE4?), potential for more divergent character design a-la Injustice, defining mechanics, how they further improve on rewards and progression from Injustice and (one can dream) less jank animation/gameplay.
RE6 came as a surprised to a lot of people. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a spring 2016 release for SFV on next gen consoles and personal computers. I doubt Ono could resist giving us obvious troll bait, though.

Capcom is probably watching the markets closely. How they lift off with SFV could change it from a marginal success to one that completely eclipses even SFIV. First impressions will be key for this generation. Personally, I'm waiting for Capcom vs Capcom. It has been a long time coming and I don't even want imagine how expensive it'd be to work with Marvel and Disney again.

alstein

RE6 came as a surprised to a lot of people. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a spring 2016 release for SFV on next gen consoles and personal computers. I doubt Ono could resist giving us obvious troll bait, though.

Capcom is probably watching the markets closely. How they lift off with SFV could change it from a marginal success to one that completely eclipses even SFIV. First impressions will be key for this generation. Personally, I'm waiting for Capcom vs Capcom. It has been a long time coming and I don't even want imagine how expensive it'd be to work with Marvel and Disney again.

Making a successful SFV is going to be a hell of a lot harder than a successful SFIV.

Capcom will have to come up with something original that works and makes people want to play a game with a smaller roster. They're in the same boat Tekken is, but from a better position.

I honestly see a pretty bleak picture when it comes to FGs this gen, at least from the big boys.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

It starts off really interesting, gonna check the rest when I get back home

Melee was hype!

From the old thread:

Oh man.

Glad to see more proof that you can at least make Decapre's air dive kick out of "teleport" look safe if you make it come out low to the ground. I say "teleport" because I'm still in disbelief that despite Capcom making the move worse the day she was revealed by showing where she was going, you can actually get hit during the move. One or the other Capcom, let's try not to make a new character bad off the bat.

Liked how air drill comboed into uppercut in the corner too, I want to see for myself though if you can get an instant-air drill after the uppercut though.

Love how Combofiend played here, especially with the use of her fireball Ultra. Despite her weaker points, she's one of the only characters in all of Ultra where I love both Ultras and find them both useful. If her Ultra II still comes out in 3 frames that is though.

Shito

No Ultra for Europe until Wednesday, and still no word on how we'll be able to fetch the preorder costumes. :(
I'm gonna hate on you guys for 2 days! :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
They have more experience under their belt now, and I think they've been told what was stupid enough already.

MK10 is pretty much their final exam to me whether they're going to be a legit FG dev or a fraudulent AAA experience posing as a FG.

I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.

No Ultra for Europe until Wednesday, and still no word on how we'll be able to fetch the preorder costumes. :(
I'm gonna hate on you guys for 2 days! :)

I'm just going to wait out till the disc release as much as I actually really want to play the new stuff. Probably because I'd rather have a complete package whenever possible, even if I might not use all those pre-order costumes.

Geniuzz

I will have a couple of days off starting from Wednesday, so whether it comes out tomorrow or the day after, I am set! I am ready for this!

petghost

Banned
i wonder what MK players want to see changed in this new game...every time i think of things i would like changed about NRS games, its usually a bunch of stuff that are seemingly stylistic choices like those 3d type strings, getting rid of the block button etc that a lot of people dig, so who am i to judge.

maybe less weird corners or something?

Well, the important thing is 2015, so a long time before we really have to care all that much.

CG Trailer suggests Interactables perhaps. That is about all I got from it.

Making a successful SFV is going to be a hell of a lot harder than a successful SFIV.

Capcom will have to come up with something original that works and makes people want to play a game with a smaller roster. They're in the same boat Tekken is, but from a better position.

I honestly see a pretty bleak picture when it comes to FGs this gen, at least from the big boys.
It is going to take major changes in the way people play the game, the way people network in it, the way they pay for it or even all of those together. Upping the character count isn't going to do much anymore. "CvC" might benefit from this depending on how many characters they plan to make and how they plan to sell them.

More of the same won't work for much longer and I can't say that disappoints me. I want to see some upstart come up with something crazy for the genre or for the old guard to find some new talent that has crazy ideas.

iynxZJYaRGbBP.gif

#StopWhitePeople

Looking forward to the MK reveal. Impress us, Ed.

Melee's too tense when you actually understand what's going on. Had an "aha" moment when M2K clutched it out against Hex in one round, on their last stock, at a damage disadvantage until the last few seconds.

Well, that's how it usually goes, isn't it? New number, new chapter in the series. A title with a new number has potential, so people are going to give it the benefit of the doubt until they get more info.

I expect it to be as story heavy as MK9, with stages to match. I'd be happy if they brought back the run button - I'm still all warm and fuzzy inside from the UMK3 FT5 from The Fall Classic. And I'd honestly be shocked if Netherrealm Studios did something drastic, like if they reworked the animation, or took a stab at a 3D game.

Edit: Just saw the trailer. I guess they're going to bring in interactables? That's cool.

Lol can't watch the trailer. Age Restriced & I have to make a youtube account to "prove my age". Fat chance Google.

Edit: Nevermind found a way around it.
Meh, CGi trailer, doesn't tell us anything.

Top Bottom