• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 2-8 | The Final Kountdown

Beckx

Well, the gifs in the announce trailer thread confirmed that MKX is not for me. The Faces of Death stuff is not my cup of tea.

lol god damn that wiz song. Also I'll put 15 in the live vicariously through Q fund at evo since that's how I see it. Do all the things I would do Q

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dhalsim vs Hugo is like...

o-VIPER-MOUNTAIN-570.jpg

And.... people think that trailer was gameplay.

ok
With today's graphics cards and SLI/Crossfire anything is possible. Not to mention the fact that Netherrealm probably has the best financial backing of any fighting game developer.

I thought it was gameplay at first. It probably isn't, but I won't work myself up over a trailer.

thehadou

Neo Member
Maybe a disappointment for you, not everybody. I'm thrilled to see the new art direction, and still just hyped in general that a new MK is coming out. The series may be flawed, forever, in every game, but there isn't a fighting series I've enjoyed more.

Color swapped ninjas forever.

Chindogg

I like the new designs. The costumes and lighting aren't super dark so I can actually see the characters on a dark stage like the forest.

The animations look a ton better as well.

I've never been a fan of internal organs and bones shattering but them fighting just fine, but that's MK so its whatever.

I warmed up to the idea of interactables in Injustice, so I'm happy to see them in MKX.

Ugh why Wiz Khalifa?

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic on MKX. I hated MK9 with a deep passion but if they can fix things like the animations, the design of female faces, removing recovery frames when releasing block, and defining the corners of each stage clearly I'll be perfectly happy giving MKX a shot. Given their improvements with Injustice I'm willing to bet that NRS is quickly learning from their mistakes.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I am curious about the argument against interactables. what differentiates them from walls in 3D fighters or the corner in 2D fighters?

K.Sabot

I hope they rip the meter system and interactables from Injustice.

But how dare you have Sub Zero lose in the trailer Ed Boon.

Also there's absolutely 0% chance that's gameplay, the animations are ginned up beyond the measure of what gameplay can provide.

With today's graphics cards and SLI/Crossfire anything is possible. Not to mention the fact that Netherrealm probably has the best financial backing of any fighting game developer.

I thought it was gameplay at first. It probably isn't, but I won't work myself up over a trailer.
I honestly think it could be gameplay. Ryse has similar gameplay speed and graphics, doesn't it?

Chindogg

I hope they rip the meter system and interactables from Injustice.

But how dare you have Sub Zero lose in the trailer Ed Boon.

MK9's meter system was probably the best meter system I've seen in modern fighters. I'm ok with them keeping that aspect of MK9 and burning everything else to the ground.

I honestly think it could be gameplay. Ryse has similar gameplay speed and graphics, doesn't it?

Anything is possible, this isn't. Maybe the end game will look like this, but there is no way you can get that from this trailer.

Go watch the MK9 trailers, they are pretty much exactly the same thing. Heck you could go watch the MK movie at this point, it'll tell you just as much about what MKX will look like.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic on MKX. I hated MK9 with a deep passion but if they can fix things like the animations, the design of female faces, removing recovery frames when releasing block, and defining the corners of each stage clearly I'll be perfectly happy giving MKX a shot. Given their improvements with Injustice I'm willing to bet that NRS is quickly learning from their mistakes.

In MK9 after you block an attack you can release block immediately, there's no unblocking frames.

casperOne

Meh, CGi trailer, doesn't tell us anything.

And.... people think that trailer was gameplay.

ok

While the trailer looks pre-rendered, the side-view implies that this is gameplay (much like the initial SFxT video between Ono and Harada) footage (at least, the side scrolling parts).

I admit this is pure speculation on my part. We'll have to wait and see if this is actually close to gameplay.

They really need to hire better animators for MK.

I don't know if that's just a cg, but if the animations in-game are like that, then it's already A LOT better than MK 9

I definitely thought the animation was an improvement over MK9. Hopefully it won't throw off timing/feel for MK9 players.

CG Trailer suggests Interactables perhaps. That is about all I got from it.

And I'm cool with interactables, like that sword

I also see weapons. Granted, they can be considered interactables, but the implication to me was that it was something that could be picked up and used, not have just a one-time usage.

Dhalsim vs Hugo is like...

o-VIPER-MOUNTAIN-570.jpg

I saw it, but SPOILERS DUDE.

The Light

I liked the design of scorpion its more minimal than the last MK.
If interactables are actually in I would prefer them to be weapon pick-ups like past MK's.

I haven't seen much of Ryse.
Anything is possible, this isn't. Maybe the end game will look like this, but there is no way you can get that from this trailer.

Go watch the MK9 trailers, they are pretty much exactly the same thing. Heck you could go watch the MK movie at this point, it'll tell you just as much about what MKX will look like.
Okay then

I'm not an MK head so I don't have much reason to lose sleep over this. You sound more experienced in the matter so I guess I can take your word for it.

Also, my reposted thoughts from the reveal thread:
If that's in-game play, then this is a huge step backwards. It's like Boon recognized they can't do fast, fluid gameplay, and so they went in the opposite direction. Seeing "cinematic" in the description of a fighting game trailer makes me deeply disappointed. I was hoping they would fix the clunky combat of the previous games.

If you would have told me GG Xrd was gameplay in that first trailer, I would have found it hard to believe. I know this is in a different league graphically, but I am going to keep an open mind.

What was Ryse's framerate tho? Would that work for an FG?
Ryse is 30fps/900p. If the gameplay is as slow as the trailer, though, 30fps might actually be feasible.

Again, I'm not saying "that's gameplay". I'm just keeping an open mind. I think it could be done.

If you would have told me GG Xrd was gameplay in that first trailer, I would have found it hard to believe. I know this is in a different league graphically, but I am going to keep an open mind.

Hey, I was on #teamCG back in the day. Sometimes you just want to believe, because you just never know.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well, there's your MKX trailer - and for those wondering if it's CG or not, I would sure hope for NRS that that was in-game. There's no way that CG that came out today in this age from a big dev would look like that, it had to be in-engine.

Onwards to Ultra.

It works for both! Don't get caught up over the K.

I'll admit I didn't see it in that light, good call.

EDIT:

Looks like it really wasn't gameplay

So the trailer is 100% "useless", we can't get any info from it =/

What the hell - I don't know who that guy is, but if that was really CG in the sense of not even using the game engine, oh man.

K.Sabot

I'm gonna miss not having to use a block button and having the entire game balanced around that.

Also yes, that is the best song I've heard from Wiz.

ewww why do people want running back in MK? I hated UMK3 because of that.

Because the spazzy dash blocking in MK9 is ugly as hell to watch, and in Injustice the stages are so long, everyone constantly dashes over and over again to get anywhere.

Running is the best feature KoF has. It's a logical and elegant way to cross the length of a stage.

Because the spazzy dash blocking in MK9 is ugly as hell to watch, and in Injustice the stages are so long, everyone constantly dashes over and over again to get anywhere.

Running is the best feature KoF has. It's a logical and elegant way to cross the length of a stage.

Oh KOF style running I wouldn't mind, I though you mean a run button.

Top Bottom