• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 2-8 | The Final Kountdown

Sayad

Looks like it really wasn't gameplay

So the trailer is 100% "useless", we can't get any info from it =/
I woldn't say 100% useless, there obvious hints about gameplay mechanics there.

- Running is back in?!!(Then again MK9's trailer started with two characters running toward each other)
- Supers/EX moves
- Stupid generic jumping kick is back... Or at least Scorpion has it
- Environment destruction(something like KI)
- Character specific(?) and stage weapons
- Stage intractables
- XRys are back
- Scorpion's fire-y attacks make me think something similar to I:GAU's traits
- (Shocking!)Fatalities are back

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First impressions:

Such an unfortunate choice of music. Wiz Khalifa SMH.

Looks cool though, a lot of fancy effects. I expect it to look very similar to KI.

Horseress

NRS could just told the trailer guys to make an awesome trailer with lots of blood and desmembration and shit, or they told'em to put some specific stuff to tease game mechanics. We don't know yet. E3 is coming tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Interactables would totally suck, hopefully they don't make a return, but it would be a good "next gen sell" especially if they interact uniquely with characters (though that might be a lot of work).

Dahbomb

I told someone that the worst way they could unveil MKX is by just having a CG trailer of Scorpion and Sub Zero fighting. No game play footage, no mechanics explanation etc.

LOL @ some people thinking this might be in game graphics.

.la1n

I told someone that the worst way they could unveil MKX is by just having a CG trailer of Scorpion and Sub Zero fighting. No game play footage, no mechanics explanation etc.

LOL @ some people thinking this might be in game graphics.

Yeah I am pretty letdown that we didn't get some information on the mechanics or actual game play but I know E3 and EVO are right around the corner so hopefully Boon has more planned.

Geniuzz

Trailer was very MK-ish with the the poster boys Sub Zero and Scorpion. I also thought that the choreography was reminiscent of the MK style we're used to. Personally, I hope that MK moves away from the almost cartoon-like fatalities and tightens the controls to play more like SF (in fluidity). So far, I'll just wait and see.

.la1n

Multiple variations of characters and each one having unique attributes? Now that I can get excited for. Also good to see they are at least making attempt to take online competition seriously.

Silky

Banned
yvTIqZR.png

So we'll see the game in action next week. At least the wait won't be too long.

I hope they make the sound more.. dynamic I guess? Injustice just sounded so bland and lifeless that it made it that much more hard to watch.

Horseress

You can basically open a GIF in Photoshop and then delete the negative space in each frame, if I think I know what you're talking about.

no no, I'm talking about a timer, that you can set an end and the image will keep updating how much time there's left (sorry I'm really bad at expressing myself =/)

MKX going the Melty Blood route with multiple character variations?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114405517&postcount=626

"multiple variations of each character"

last time I've heard that we ended up getting gems

Kumubou

This bit of info is way more interesting than anything in the trailer.

Those two tidbits alone could be game changers.
It really depends on the implementation. It ended up working OK in the later Melty Blood games, but a lot of characters had at least one style -- if not all but one -- that was useless or redundant. Even though it can be an interesting way to recycle assets, it's still a lot of design work to do well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This bit of info is way more interesting than anything in the trailer.

Those two tidbits alone could be game changers.
Agreed. NRS has been very proactive with the online featureset stuff, and communal goals are a really good way of keeping players invested in games I feel (especially in the mobile space).

Also, it seems like at least PS4 is a lock as a platform.

It says it is CG in the OP of that thread.

The video is also up on Digital Dimension's website. I don't think they do any game development work, just videos.

Isn't there a new Capcom fighting game being announced at E3 or was that something else?

EDIT: Wasn't expecting the GoT spoilers. I have yet to watch the latest episode.

Silky

Banned
Mortal Kombat X combines cinematic presentation with all new gameplay to deliver the most brutal Kombat experience ever, offering a new fully-connected experience that launches players into a persistent online contest where every fight matters in a global battle for supremacy. For the first time, Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style. Players step into an original story showcasing some of the game’s most prolific characters including Scorpion and Sub-Zero, while introducing new challengers that represent the forces of good and evil and tie the tale together.

Sooo new characters?

Quadratic

With EVO coming up next month. Who is going from GAF? I've become a pure spectator over the past few years. With work and other responsibilities I can't play often in any game but I do play most of the new releases casually for a few weeks when they come out.

I did try my hand at competing a few years ago but I was so scrubby it was basically a free win to the opponent. I did win a match in that KoFXIII year when they were giving away a free shirt to entrants and I got a forfeit win in UMVC3 when my opponent was a no show lol.

Do you guys still meet up before the final day for dinner? I couldn't get time off last year from work to attend.

notworksafe

Isn't Ultra out at midnight PDT, not 10PM?

Pre-order Ultra Street Fighter IV Digital Upgrade and receive an exclusive theme for your PS3 system’s XMB menu screen in your download list after checking out. You’ll also be able to access the 2014 Challengers Pack, which consists of five unique character costumes: Jungle Elena, Medieval Hugo, Pirate Poison, Wizard Rolento, and Gladiator Decapre, when the digital upgrade releases. Play the game on 6/3/14 starting 12AM PST.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/20/playstation-store-update-338/

Top Bottom