• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 2-8 | The Final Kountdown

Didn't they kill off practically everyone in the last MK? Whole new cast of recycled ninja assets?

I like the idea that they've possibly given up on maintaining a coherent story across games. I mean, you'd have to have managed "coherent story" in ONE game first before you try stretching it across multiples.

Dahbomb

I know I bitch about CG trailers but if Capcom announced DMC5 with a CG trailer I would bust a nut then analyze every frame of the trailer.

"0:06-0:08 The background color filter changes from red to blue briefly.... VERGIL CONFIRMED GET HYPE!!!!111"

Edit: Seems like new info on MKX popped up.

It's cross gen confirmed. Damn with this and Forza 2 being cross gen GAF is about to have a hissy fit. Also MKX is run on UE3..

notworksafe

that's....weird, this morning I went to the game's page (on my PS3) and there it said "9PM PST"

I don't know anymore =/

EDIT:

Here it says 9PM PST

What should we trust?!
Knowing Sony they will forget to release the patch and shit won't work til tomorrow anyway. I'll keep my fingers crossed for midnight edt/9pdt though.

Will you be allowed to play in tournaments though?

Probably. I am for Injustice. I'd likely skip the first few tournaments like I did for that. If I can't it's fine though. I'm ready to retire.

Ironically I am doing much better now in IGAU than when it was first out.

Dahbomb

Speaking of..

Who here believes they could be 100% impartial, balance wise, if they worked on a FG?

Not me. M. Bison, top tier at last..
Me.

At least I would try to be. I would try to properly balance offensive and defensive styles while try to balance all the characters properly. No bias for characters I play or styles I like. I would also not make any character intentionally bad or good just because of some weird notion of "low tier heroes". Tiers are developed anyway so people will play low/high tiers regardless of balance decisions.

If people don't believe me then they can look at the theory Marvel patch and see that the characters I played got reasonable changes... I absolutely gutted Vergil in that thing even though people were like "nah man that's a bit too harsh" (though even with those changes he would be pretty damn good, you would just have to actually know how to play the character).

.la1n

Speaking of..

Who here believes they could be 100% impartial, balance wise, if they worked on a FG?

I absolutely would not trust myself to be 100% impartial if it were a franchise I care a lot about. I would probably trust myself more to work on a franchise I didn't have any strong ties to.

Knowing Sony they will forget to release the patch and shit won't work til tomorrow anyway. I'll keep my fingers crossed for midnight edt/9pdt though.

I was hoping that they may have finally decided to let east coast play new releases at midnight vs 3:00am but we shall see.

Speaking of..

I think there are some things that shouldn't be super good. Which isn't to say they shouldn't be good. Making everyone Too Stronk and having universal defensive options just results in games that feel really nice to play, you get to do so much cool stuff and can be envious of hilarious near-bs things other characters can do while not being that angry because you have your own brand of near-broken absurdity and the defensive mechanics help make sure you're not totally screwed.

I think one of the biggest things that fighting games need to get right isn't even combo things, really. It's movement. One of the best things about Smash is how freeform and just natural the movement is. Great movement is what quickly sold me on KOF13 and later on games like GG. Good movement is what leaves me preferring 3S over SF4, and being tempted to try out Vsav.

EDIT: The problem is, few games combine an aesthetic that actually appeals to normal people with nice-feeling movement. There's a lot of airdashers and the like, but they seem to insist on really niche art direction which just kills them from the get go.

Dahbomb

I think there are some things that shouldn't be super good. Which isn't to say they shouldn't be good. Making everyone Too Stronk and having universal defensive options just results in games that feel really nice to play, you get to do so much cool stuff and can be envious of hilarious near-bs things other characters can do while not being that angry because you have your own brand of near-broken absurdity and the defensive mechanics help make sure you're not totally screwed.

I think one of the biggest things that fighting games need to get right isn't even combo things, really. It's movement. One of the best things about Smash is how freeform and just natural the movement is. Great movement is what quickly sold me on KOF13 and later on games like GG. Good movement is what leaves me preferring 3S over SF4, and being tempted to try out Vsav.

EDIT: The problem is, few games combine an aesthetic that actually appeals to normal people with nice-feeling movement. There's a lot of airdashers and the like, but they seem to insist on really niche art direction which just kills them from the get go.
Agreed... another unspoken reason for the initial popularity of the Marvel series over your standard anime series. Marvel is basically an anime game but it doesn't come with that art direction.

ismk

Don't know why people are doubting NRS' capability of making the game look as good or close to the CG trailers. Both MK and Injustice look beautiful so with new hardware, they can probably pull off something amazing. Only problem I have with NRS games is that they don't feel fluid so here's hoping they can get that down.

2 things im concerned with any NRS game:

1) do the characters move like mannequins on string?

2) does the art style have the women with man faces or awkward upper body models?

Dahbomb

Don't know why people are doubting NRS' capability of making the game look as good or close to the CG trailers. Both MK and Injustice look beautiful so with new hardware, they can probably pull off something amazing. Only problem I have with NRS games is that they don't feel fluid so here's hoping they can get that down.
MK and Injustice look decent technically speaking but they aren't really beautiful. The CG trailer is far ahead of anything they have done in-game. With the game being cross gen and on UE3 I am not expecting a huge upgrade over MK9 (it will look better but not that CG quality good).

People need to keep their expectations in check.

Negaduck

I look more towards what nrs Learned and the jump in quality from mk9 -> injustice as far as my expectations go. If it can be a jump in quality again I would be very very happy.

Quadratic

I'm pretty excited about Ultra dropping tomorrow. Anyone part of ScrubGAF open to playing and setting up lobbies? I think I'll sub to the official thread to see if anyone is coming back to SF4 this week.

Top Bottom