• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 13 coming to current consoles?

LuuKyK

Pfft. Predictable.

Lightning is mentioned and the world gathers.

Once FFXII: HD comes and goes, we can finally get:

FINAL FANTASY XIII: The Goddess Saga
The XIII Trilogy Remaster
for consoles and PC.

Fight away for Light endures and will forever be an iconic representaive of Final Fantasy.

DEAL WITH IT.
IcySharpHartebeest.gif

The face of FF and the face of Louis Vuitton. Which other character had this much impact on the gaming and the real world? Truly an unparalleled icon and a reference not only for games, but also for fashion and equality. She is a multimedia wonder. There is a reason why SE doesnt want anyone to forget her. She is here to stay.

Impossible not to love her.

Replicant

She must not be forgotten!

Pfft. Predictable.

for consoles and PC.

Fight away for Light endures and will forever be an iconic representaive of Final Fantasy.

DEAL WITH IT.
IcySharpHartebeest.gif

Other characters wish they could be this iconic and worldwide famous.

rhandino

Banned
Pfft. Predictable.

for consoles and PC.

DEAL WITH IT.
IcySharpHartebeest.gif
EDUCATE THEM!

ftr0Xpz.gif

Ascenion

What makes me the most angry about FFXIII is that Lightning was a solid protagonist. She just had the misfortune of being the lead in a shit game supported by shit characters like Hope and Vanille. I get why some like XIII but I'm pretty sure no one that asked for this was serious. Lightning please stop returning....in the same games.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good game in the FFXIII trilogy is Lightning Returns.

The story in all of them is incomprehensible, but at least Lightning Returns was legit fun to play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd buy and I'd like to drink the tears of people who will be saying FFXIII is better than FFXV.

neoism

nah still got may ps3 copy and my 100% plat save... still would mind getting it on steam for 2.50 of something one day lol

LuuKyK

As far as I'm concerned, the only good game in the FFXIII trilogy is Lightning Returns.

The story in all of them is incomprehensible, but at least Lightning Returns was legit fun to play.

I thought it was the worst one actually. The first was the best.

I'd buy and I'd like to drink the tears of people who will be saying FFXIII is better than FFXV.

I am pretty sure it will be. Nothing about XV's combat seems appealing, in fact it looks dumb and repetitive, not to mention the incredibly bland and clunky boss battles they've shown and the fact that you cant even control other party members...

Neff

I am pretty sure it will be. Nothing about XV's combat seems appealing, in fact it looks dumb and repetitive, not to mention the incredibly bland and clunky boss battles they've shown and the fact that you cant even control other party members...

I'd have to agree. FFXIII's battle system is, even now, exciting, strategic and novel. Based on the two demos we've had so far, FFXV is, well... none of that.

And I simply feel that FFXIII's world and cast is more interesting. I wanted to know more about Pulse and Cocoon from the first E3 trailer, wheras XV has gone through so many changes (and not all of them for the better from the look of things) that I'm incredibly indifferent to it at this point.

I'm buying FFXV anyway, but I highly doubt it's going to top XIII for me.

Fj0823

- 60 fps
- Change Leader command like in XIII-2
- More points to summon more than once per battle
- Rebalanced battles to be challenging even with these changes
- throw in a couple of classic FF costumes/weapons

And I'm there

Gave it 10 hours before the hallway map design got to me. Even going in with the expectation that the first 20 hours were glorified corridors I still couldn't stop being so bored.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The general public loves Lightning, that's a proven fact. She single handedly saved Square-Enix last gen and manages to keep neogaf dot com fuming to this day 💅

... but WHEN is Square-Enix gonna show the best game in the series FFVIII some love? Squall, Rinoa and the gang are being ignored and THAT is a true crime. The way 8 still has the best love story in a game, 17 years later. 😢 What an accomplishment.

icespide

Banned
The general public loves Lightning, that's a proven fact. She single handedly saved Square-Enix last gen and manages to keep neogaf dot com fuming to this day 💅

... but WHEN is Square-Enix gonna show the best game in the series FFVIII some love? Squall, Rinoa and the gang are being ignored and THAT is a true crime. The way 8 still has the best love story in a game, 17 years later. 😢 What an accomplishment.
you have my gunblade

I liked FFXIII more than most people and I'm glad to see it coming to current-gen, but I probably won't buy it unless I get it in a sale or something. I already Platinum'd the game on PS3 and I also own the Steam version (and haven't played it). I don't have a lot of time to play games these days, so I'd rather play a new game than one I've already mastered before.

I prefered XIII-2 over XIII and despised LR, but I'd buy this game if it got released on PS4. That way I could beat them for the... fourth? time. Yup, as a FF fanboy I'll clear every game everytime my addiction tells me to o.o

Though I haven't finished LR, Youtube helped me with that ending :/

Going to pass on this, since I don't really see anything of note being added/adjusted with the game for me to consider re-buying it. It'll probably just be a straight port of the PC version. (Did the PC version have the Easy Mode from FFXIII International?)

U couldn't control other characters in XIII, only change their class I thought

Neff

Yeah I binged on PS4 FFVII today and for some reason it made me want a HD version of FFVIII badly.

Flandy

A drop to 28 from 60 is small? I love to know where you learned to count numbers. It's unstable as all hell, and locking it to 30 solved nothing for me because just cause it says 30 doesn't mean it feels/looks like 30. I tested it with two completely different computer set ups with results that equaled not playable for me.
Pls show me the PS3 version that runs at 60fps because I'm pretty sure the guy you quoted is talking about the PS3 version which runs at 30. So yea a drop to 28 every now and then isn't a big deal.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What makes me the most angry about FFXIII is that Lightning was a solid protagonist. She just had the misfortune of being the lead in a shit game supported by shit characters like Hope and Vanille. I get why some like XIII but I'm pretty sure no one that asked for this was serious. Lightning please stop returning....in the same games.

Ummm, how about no? My opinion anyways. She's basically Cloud re-engineered into a lady. They didn't gift her with any interesting character development, quirks, or anything like that--she's just, kinda there for the sake of being there.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Ummm, how about no? My opinion anyways. She's basically Cloud re-engineered into a lady. They didn't gift her with any interesting character development, quirks, or anything like that--she's just, kinda there for the sake of being there.
She had a lot of potential, but was written in the most boring way possible. Her "character development" is all in exposition monologues, her "personality" and "character" relies on vague facial expressions in cutscenes (which the datalog pages then expain their meaning), and she's unintentionally a secondary character of the story. Kinda sad.

JackelZXA

Hey. Cloud is much more interesting. He has character development AND quirks. He's a bit of a goofball and actually kind of a cool dude with a tude. Lightning is more like Compilation of FF7 cloud, where he was a no fun emo boy male idol and not cool or funny or charming like he was in the ACTUAL game. :(

AnGer

Lightning's not iconic, at least in the classical sense. She's Ubisoft iconic - the moment Square stops talking about and showcasing her, she'll fade into memory and even from that.

Oh and for the record: I think XIII had a decent premise, but that was rendered moot by the messy plot of the game, the at best lacklustre characters, the amount of talking without saying and the improper worldbuilding - which eventually all soured me on LR and XIII-2 though these games offer a little betterment in other departments. The music was decent, but forgettable, the graphic design busy at times and the gameplay was simply repetitive and at times it felt like it wanted to be different just for the sake of being different.

Widge

I played FFXIII through a second time on PC and I rather enjoyed it.

It has possibly one of the worst opening stretches of any FF game and that does leave the worst impression. Only until you hit the crystal lake does it even vaguely unfurl into a game whose combat you can get behind. The massive downside of having a combat system tied to a plotline, thereby restricting your battle strategy options to Attack/Heal.

After that though, it's alright. Certainly don't put any time or effort into grinding whatsoever in Cocoon. Absolutely pointless, long winded, boring and rendered obsolete very sharply by the huge end of game gains.

When I first played through, I found the huge focus on FFX structure suddenly giving way into FFXII structure rather disorientating. A driven narrative suddenly fades into a wider combat orientated world. Now, it is the place where you can go to play with the battle engine and is much more satisfying as a result if you've been through the game one time already.

With limited gaming time on my hands. Rather than power play the final stretch of the game and reading that there is little carry over, I've decided to free up 30GB of my HDD and jump across to FFXIII-2.

Final Fantasy XIII was the rare game that I persisted in being optimistic about and tried my hardest to choke back my real negativity. I was never lost on the aesthetic and the soundtrack, though -- those remained really strong as far as I'm concerned. But the actual act of playing the game and the longing for any substantive connection the story, the characters, and the world never really felt delivered in any way.

It didn't work.

The production values were clearly there to me, but I just didn't think it was a well-designed game at all. It and the original FFXIV release ruined my automatic full-throttle love for the FF franchise for an entire console generation, but I've started to see light for the franchise again ever since A Realm Reborn came around. I'm pretty excited for FFXV, too, and FFXII HD is something I've wanted to see for ages. If they release FFXIII HD Collection, I wish it luck because I know there are fans of the XIII series and I don't mind it being used to rake in funds for future large-scale FF projects, but I'm for sure opting out myself.

HeelPower

I like lightning's design better than thhat of any character revealed so far in FFXV.

Her XIII look was something else and her battle animations are iconic.

Cloud7

I completely disagree. With your statement, you're making the claim that Cloud was a bad protagonist and to me, that couldn't be possibly further away from the truth. Cloud was a really interesting character who had issues with himself that people can relate to in real life, like myself. He's easily someone people can empathize with and to see him grow was astonishing. I hate what Advent Children did to him but I loved him in the original game.

As for Lightning, her behavior in the original game didn't bother me so much. I think the fact that she still was the same exact person throughout all of her experiences in 3 games is what realllly sucks.

Lightning is still the queen though. She must not be forgotten.

Top Bottom