• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

Takao

Banned
Mind blowing how much effort that must have taken. Send your resumes to square if you worked on this translation! That's seriously impressive.

As for the game: How did this game get a psp treatment and not a ps3 treatment? FF13 was so simplistic compared to this game! Should have been in reverse in terms of where the budget was spent...

It's cute that you think this game had a higher budget than XIII. Being on PSP allowed them to certain things that wouldn't fly if it was a PS3 game.

I would muc rather have a full Vita version but this is what i dont get with Sony and publishers. PS Mobile should make it easy to port mobile/tablet games to that platform andbe available on the PSM store so why is that not happening? I can think of several games that are available on mobile/tablet that would do well and I thought was the purpose of PSM. FF Theatrhythm, Clash of Clans, that Level 5 game, Baldurs freaking Gate, i mean come on that should be a win win situation for everyone.

There are many reasons why PlayStation Mobile doesn't have those games. Firstly, it's the market. PSM is a tiny marketplace. Then you have the bottleneck of ancient Android hardware like Xperia Play limiting what you can do. Lastly, you have the fact that it uses C# for programming, rather than more commonly used languages.

Maybe some of that will change once Unity support is made public, but I doubt it.

CorvoSol

It's cute that you think this game had a higher budget than XIII. Being on PSP allowed them to certain things that wouldn't fly if it was a PS3 game.

That's not what he said, though. He said he wished this game had a higher budget than XIII.

Fans work for free, when they do something out of their own good will. They wouldn't work for free if SE just asked them to do it's work, though.

Of course, I'm just saying, there are people able to do this kind of stuff in their spare time, while holding down day jobs... yet there's this immense risk and cost always trumpeted by big publishers who are rolling in dough to begin with. I respect the high profile localization teams that have kept quality alive, and made us realize how bad many of the games games we got in the 90's were handled, but I can't see even them having a going rate that's all that steep. Even straight rom dumps of already translated games are treated as high-risk and fruitless endeavors.

There was a reply ITT along the lines of "too busy having a 300 man team make costume DLC for Lightning Returns", and that pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Been holding a grudge since Seiken Densetsu 3.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When the fan translation does come out, how would I go about using it with the game?

Buy game.
Install CFW on PSP.
Change USB Mode to UMD Drive and rip the game.

You're ready, wait for the patch and it will have it's own instructions. Now that PPSSPP and TN have support, you'll be able to play it on a PSP CFW, Vita eCFW, or PC emulator.

Gio Corsi announcement of their localization is imminent.

I know he's a love-him-or-hate-him personality, but Shahid seems like the type of guy that would reach out to these people and connect them to Gio just to get a game on Vita, if Square didn't have their chastity belts on so tight.

jaxword

I feel this way but mostly because I feel Crimson Echoes was a terribad fan fiction disguised as a game that wasn't worth playing. I played for like, 2 hours, fought maybe twice, and watched Magus cry over Schala. That was all the more awful I needed to see.

I think you misunderstand, I was saying the "C and D" may not have been what it seemed at all. There were rumblings in the community that the team leader's ego got the better of him and it collapsed and they just claimed CnD to get it out.

I think you misunderstand, I was saying the "C and D" may not have been what it seemed at all. There were rumblings in the community that the team leader's ego got the better of him and it collapsed and they just claimed CnD to get it out.

Rumblings from haters outside of the community. Agent 12, the team leader, is one of the most selfless Chrono fans ever.

Whompa

Uhhhh I never said that at all. I meant that the scope and scale of the project was much greater than 13. Which it was...it's cute how poorly you interpreted that.

Takao

Banned
Oh man, and I got snarky with that comment too. Sorry ...

Had this been envisioned as a console project, I do think things would've been done differently. Type-0 on PSP took three years, and that was from a team that had already delivered Crisis Core. For them to have tackled an HD project they probably would've ended up with a vastly different game, or it could have had a development cycle to rival XV.

No, but I know a guy who can get me it.

Or maybe I should get myself a Japanese PSN and download the digital version? Not too sure how to apply the patch to it though.... hmmm.

You need a PC program that extracts the ISOs (from the pkg from mediago or eboot if installed onto the PSP), after that you just patch it like a UMD ISO.

CorvoSol

Well sure. But I still think Crimson Echoes wasn't very great anyway. I suppose that's neither here nor there, though.

aravuus

We've already discussed a public beta, and a demo, even though at this point I'd be open for that, the rest of the team thinks otherwise. Can't blame them, though, the only time I released an incomplete patch (and it was an Alpha patch, actually, for a Spanish translation), the team saw that everyone played that version, that no one waited for the final one, and the result was the Alpha patch being the first, and last one xD.

~Sky

Tell your team they're lame. So lame.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Tell your team they're lame. So lame.

He has a good point though. Same thing might be happening with VC3. The initial patch wasn't finished with some things still needing to be translated, some editing still needed, and a number of bugs (known and unknown). But people jumped on that and the patch soon after with a handful of quick fixes, and now the team hasn't updated since. They might have just decided what was released was "good enough" since so much of the community interested didn't care to wait for a final patch.

Of course they might also be working on it silently, that was always a quiet project, but it's been over two months since the minor fix patch and none of the guys working on it have answered any questions since January.

Toth

I was watching the trailer again and this time I noticed how much cleaner the graphics look compared to the PSP version. Was there a graphic update in place via an emulator?

I was watching the trailer again and this time I noticed how much cleaner the graphics look compared to the PSP version. Was there a graphic update in place via an emulator?

They definitely used the emulator (either JPCSP or PPSSPP) to create the trailer.

They just had to jack up the Rendering Resolution to ridiculous levels (like 8x - 10x PSP), apply some Texture Scaling, some MSAA/FXAA and there you have it.

I'll definitely be playing this on PPSSPP using my 360 wired pad, there's no better alternative when it comes to image fidelity.

Sky, if you're reading this thread, I'd just like to say that you guys can take as long as you need to with the fan translation, we (from the PPSSPP team) were only too happy to have made the game 100% compatible with our emulator which in turn makes it a hell of a lot more easier for your team to progress with the translation efforts.

Nags

Banned
They definitely used the emulator (either JPCSP or PPSSPP) to create the trailer.

They just had to jack up the Rendering Resolution to ridiculous levels (like 8x - 10x PSP), apply some Texture Scaling, some MSAA/FXAA and there you have it.

I'll definitely be playing this on PPSSPP using my 360 wired pad, there's no better alternative when it comes to image fidelity.

What's a good cpu and gpu for running that emulator with those settings?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Of course, I'm just saying, there are people able to do this kind of stuff in their spare time, while holding down day jobs... yet there's this immense risk and cost always trumpeted by big publishers who are rolling in dough to begin with. I respect the high profile localization teams that have kept quality alive, and made us realize how bad many of the games games we got in the 90's were handled, but I can't see even them having a going rate that's all that steep. Even straight rom dumps of already translated games are treated as high-risk and fruitless endeavors.

There was a reply ITT along the lines of "too busy having a 300 man team make costume DLC for Lightning Returns", and that pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Been holding a grudge since Seiken Densetsu 3.
DISCLAIMER: I WHOLLY HATE SQUARE FOR NOT LOCALIZING TYPE-0.
Still.

Fan translations are:
- English only
- Do not have to worry about censor
- Do not have to worry about quality
- Do not need to QA
- Do not need to get translators up to speed (it's fans!)
- Do not need to work on a timeline
- Do not need marketing
etc.
A proper localization work for a FF game is probably 6-8 months of work for a team of 8-10 - plus bureaucracy, plus non-english work. It's not VERY costly, but it's still pretty costly - and long.

What's a good cpu and gpu for running that emulator with those settings?

Any Intel/AMD PC made in the past 4-5 years with a dedicated AMD/NVIDIA GPU will be able to push this game on PPSSPP.

I say this as a dedicated PPSSPP tester using my 5 year old Core 2 Duo laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 as a platform for testing emulated PSP games in pursuit of the betterment of the emulator. I can push 8x Rendering Resolution (basically 4k resolution) and FXAA and still get fullspeed in Type 0. It's very, very undemanding on any recent x86 PC.

The emulator was built to emulate PSP games on Android devices at full speed after all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How much is a copy of this on the ground in Japan... Like at Book Off or whatever? My girlfriend is in Fukuoka right now and she's a trooper when it comes to picking me up game stuff.

Nags

Banned
Any Intel/AMD PC made in the past 4-5 years with a dedicated AMD/NVIDIA GPU will be able to push this game on PPSSPP.

I say this as a dedicated PPSSPP tester using my 5 year old Core 2 Duo laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 as a platform for testing emulated PSP games in pursuit of the betterment of the emulator. I can push 8x Rendering Resolution (basically 4k resolution) and FXAA and still get fullspeed in Type 0. It's very, very undemanding on any recent x86 PC.

The emulator was built to emulate PSP games on Android devices at full speed after all.

Awesome, thanks.

CorvoSol

I was gonna post a new thread for it, but here, I'll just move that stuff to this thread.

So Skybladecloud just announced on Twitter that the patch will be coming out sometime tomorrow.

Here are screencaps of his tweets:
bHR1hMo.png

rr9Ezm0.png

And here is a link to his twitter: here.

CorvoSol

Why the late release date anyway?

According to Sky, the team originally wanted August so it could test and clean and clean and test the thing. From what I've been told he never wanted that August release date, either. One of the team members streamed the English version earlier this week, and he was going through and changing things then, and the team was online talking about how there's a lot of text. Apparently it's all finished, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
According to Sky, the team originally wanted August so it could test and clean and clean and test the thing. From what I've been told he never wanted that August release date, either. One of the team members streamed the English version earlier this week, and he was going through and changing things then, and the team was online talking about how there's a lot of text. Apparently it's all finished, though.
So why the sudden jump to release?

Holy crap, Christmas just came early, thanks for the update.

Just a friendly reminder (and I'm totally pimping our project lol), don't forget to update PPSSPP to the latest buildbot dev versions if you intend to play this translation patch on your PC/iOS/Android device fluently.

Our official release of 0.9.9 has been delayed to mid June, unfortunately.

Top Bottom