• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
xq1C67c.gif

Can you post the original GIF? I'm curious to see what that dude was reacting to

catbrush

I assume they lost the original files for VIII and IX too? I wonder what res the images would've been? Probably not 1080p.

Square Enix should just hire a team of talented artists to redraw them, similar to what Lucas Arts did with Monkey Island: Special Edition. I doubt it would take that long, there's really not that many backgrounds in FFVII.

Remaking the world map would also be a fairly simple task I think. All it would take is reskinning it with high res textures and it would be good to go, but even starting it again from scratch wouldn't take very long. Square Enix are just lazy.

I don't think they want to take half measures when remaking their most monumental success. Releasing a half-remake/remaster with redrawn assets could kill a lot of the nostalgia people hold for the game. FF7 (and 8, but by 9, the PSX tech was getting long in the tooth... almost makes me wish "remasters" were invented in the PS2 era) was huge because it was a perfect technology showcase for the CD. The use of pre-rendered assets was pretty awe inspiring for me, the backgrounds in those games always inspired emotions and pulled on my imagination. Playing it when it came out was a defining moment in my gaming life (lol).

a0p1r51.png

~~~beautiful, relatable & emotional~~~

The only way for the remake to live up to FF7's initial "wow" factor would be if Square Enix found a new amazing way to exploit a new generational leap in hardware, and could deliver a retelling of the same adventure. It's not something fans should want Square Enix to rush into.

Still the funniest thing ever to come from a presentation.

I like that shot they show after the trailers over. No one in the crowd is happy. Not a single damn person. It was even funnier if you watched it live like me.

I was there and I din't find it funny in the slightest...

I'll get the platinum for this game though. Can't ignore my favorite game of all time.

anaron

I wonder what happened to Square after their fusion with Enix. It's just like after the fusion it's some other company, totally not the old Square we all used to know. I really miss the old Square Soft, mostly for FF7, FF8 and FF9.

I assume they don't want to make a real remake cause it would take more time development time tan FFXV which already took almost 10 years of development. Plus FF7 is a legend, why destroying a legend if they are not confident enough?
they essentially forced out Sakaguchi/let Wada ruin the company culture is what happened

I just found this on the net, showing the 1080p resolution bump for the PS4.

Sorry if old.

141795947591203331180_20141206_16.jpg

Eh... Looks miles better than that PC mod someone posted a few pages ago.

I'd replay through this version, but I don't think I'll bother tbh. FFVII is a great game that I need to pay more attention whenever I decide to replay it.

MrHoot

Not joking, I was like that when FFXV was (re-)revealed before that, haha. It was 5AM over here and I was nearly falling asleep but then came the announcement and boom, I was awake and mind-blown.

I'll be like that if they ever re-reveal TLG

Which means I will never be happy again ;_;

Xenus

Eh... Looks miles better than that PC mod someone posted a few pages ago.

I'd replay through this version, but I don't think I'll bother tbh. FFVII is a great game that I need to pay more attention whenever I decide to replay it.

Only really obvious difference I see there is the lighting and maybe the modeling on Sephiroth's face

KH3 literally made me forget the FFXV trailer they showed.

I think it was the biggest announcement I reacted to live when it happened, I really wish I was there.

Only really obvious difference I see there is the lighting and maybe the modeling on Sephiroth's face
Yup, the left one also looks miles better than the PC mod, that's not really a high bar.

they essentially forced out Sakaguchi/let Wada ruin the company culture is what happened

Sakaguchi was pushed out because he almost killed the company betting everything on The Spirits Within. Wada actually deserves a lot of credit for getting the company to recover as well as it did, he just massively overstayed his welcome and that's when the creative side started suffering. I don't think he ever really understood game development that well.

Paz

In all seriousness, fuck this thread title and whoever at Square thought this was a good idea.

Soul destroying every damn time.

I bet they are so fucking pissed they lost the original files.

Just re-rendering those backgrounds would be so nice. Not possible since, apparently, they lost the source.

I wish they would lose ALL the files.

Then they would be forced to start over completely and give us the game we've been wanting all along.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Imagine if they actually announced a remake? The reactions would've been better than Kingdom Hearts 3 reactions-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyfrg6Ufb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdBVAmOqeE

Oh man I love these kinds of videos.

I remember it was pretty late at night and when FFXV and KH3 happened on screen I had to stand up and pace around for a while to figure out if it was real or not. There may or may not have been stupid giggling. I guess I'm a crazy person.

I hope something like that happens again. Something that sparks that kind of reaction.

anaron

Sakaguchi was pushed out because he almost killed the company betting everything on The Spirits Within. Wada actually deserves a lot of credit for getting the company to recover as well as it did, he just massively overstayed his welcome and that's when the creative side started suffering. I don't think he ever really understood game development that well.

nope.

Sakaguchi developed TSW as essentially a tech demo for future Squaresoft produced FMVs, film, and media which would have included other companies licensing the technology to use for their own properties.

People above him approved the idea and then when it was mismanaged and over budget due to literally creating the tools as the film was being made, they decided to lessen Sakaguchi's role in the company (said company's success that was mostly owed to his supervision and creative management) and after the film bombed went on to shutdown the studio that cost a ton to establish and any potential to be gained from the endeavour that they approved.

TSW also did not "almost kill the company" it merely damaged it momentarily until bandaged by Sony and healed by the success of FFX and Kingdom Hearts.

wada did shit all but coasted off taking over when the company rebounded on its own and and then poisoned the environment with competitive in house working conditions and brand milking

Imagine if they actually announced a remake? The reactions would've been better than Kingdom Hearts 3 reactions-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyfrg6Ufb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdBVAmOqeE

Are you fucking kidding me with those reactions ? What is wrong with these people. Do they have brain damage ?

I just found this on the net, showing the 1080p resolution bump for the PS4.

Sorry if old.

141795947591203331180_20141206_16.jpg

You would think Square would have released such an image in 1920x1080 to actually show the improvement...

Are you fucking kidding me with those reactions ? What is wrong with these people. Do they have brain damage ?

You would think Square would have released such an image in 1920x1080 to actually show the improvement...

How does it feel to not like anything?

Anyway, Square doesn't even release native res shots of their biggest games, I doubt they'd do it with this. Best way is to just not buy and wait for people saying how it looks (spoilers: it will look like the PC version).

Einhander

No kidding man, I was cringing so badly watching that. Holy shit. It's cool to be excited, but not acting like you're having a seizure. I think that girl was crying!

So after watching that video on the official website, I wonder, they are using the PC port, but putting back the original PSX audio? It sounds like it.

yeah it was originally announced that the PS4 version is just the PC version..
didn't the PC version have "upgrades" or something to make the game easier? how did those work?

MilkBeard

didn't the PC version have "upgrades" or something to make the game easier? how did those work?

Yeah I thought so, but the music in the trailer sounded like the PSX version. I hope they do use PSX audio, anyway. Either way, I have the game and can play it on my PS3 so I won't be playing this version anyway...but ideally it just sounds like a bad idea to port it with inferior music quality.

Yeah I thought so, but the music in the trailer sounded like the PSX version. I hope they do use PSX audio, anyway. Either way, I have the game and can play it on my PS3 so I won't be playing this version anyway...but ideally it just sounds like a bad idea to port it with inferior music quality.

PC got a patch to fix the music quite a while ago.

Not joking, I was like that when FFXV was (re-)revealed before that, haha. It was 5AM over here and I was nearly falling asleep but then came the announcement and boom, I was awake and mind-blown.
I was in shock and awe at the XV reveal. My hype had become so controlled that I couldn't even muster anything but "ok, ok, ok" repeatedly. I was so happy to see so much being given for the first time in a looooong time. Then when the KH scenes started playing after the "one more thing" tease my heart fluttered but I then remembered that 2.5 was still on the way...........then Sora on the beach happened and I freaked out. I was screaming and calling my homies at the same time. All of us geeked out on the phone. I almost cried. I was in high school for KH2 release and the reveal of XIII Versus...I had waited for that moment for what seemed like forever. I'd imagined trailers and teasers...it was a good day man...

(One really good teaser I had in mind I still remember.

A tumbling keyblade falls from space at a high speed. It crashes through The Dive to the Heart Pillara and eventually lands in darkness with only the faintest light surrounding it. Out of no where Sora's face flashes on screen. Cut to "III". End teaser.)

Son Of D

The Steam version had a Character Booster that sets your HP to 9999, your MP to 999 and your Gil to 49999999. Other stats, levels and items stay the same.

Turin

Banned
I consider myself very fortunate that I didn't witness this live. The anger might have scarred me.

Pretty hilarious in retrospect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom