• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember dancing around like a girl when HNIC of SE came on stage.

I didn't even realize it until I was already sweating with joy and ecstasy that the old PS1 game didn't transform before my eyes. Never again SE, never again will I believe anything you say. And something smack the insider talking about GIGATON and all this nonsense. There was basically one big announcement that got leaked the day before and that was Sf5. It was a great show still. Just didn't like ending with Jaffe and his early game.

My knowledge is very limited when it comes to this sort of thing and I don't care to admit it because it's the truth, but how hard would it be to give it widescreen support and to maybe go through and touch up the textures/models even just a bit? I know doing textures and models isn't a snap your fingers ordeal, but they're a big and talented company, no? It just seems lazy to me to not do anything at all to it. I don't even really care about it not being a remake; the only thing shitty about that situation is the epic fanfare given to the announcement which made everyone think it was a remake, but is it seriously too much to ask for even a bit of an upgrade especially since they're trying to sell it again?

1 - Square apparently no longer has the assets to the game, so any actual changes to it would require the game to be remade.

2 - It's even worse for games like FFVII that have pre-rendered backgrounds, because to have widescreen support you would need to re-render every single background in the game on a higher resolution, so that would basically be a remake on itself, specially considering that they would have to remake all the backgrounds (see 1).

Go_Ly_Dow

Reading the first page again is shocking.

Remember the hype train? The glorious journey.

HASHIMOTO ON STAGE

17 YEARS

FF7 FOR PS4

IT HAPPENING

OMFG
OMFGGBELIEVE! HOLD ME!

#REKT

playXray

2 - It's even worse for games like FFVII that have pre-rendered backgrounds, because to have widescreen support you would need to re-render every single background in the game on a higher resolution, so that would basically be a remake on itself, specially considering that they would have to remake all the backgrounds (see 1).

I used to think this, but then REmake showed how clever use of pan and scan can make it possible without redrawing static backdrops. I played almost the whole game in the new widescreen mode.

androvsky

Has this ever happened is the history of Gamingdom? Like has a Dev/Pub ever went back to the drawing board because of feedback and actually released a better product?

Dragon Quest 9 was originally announced as an action-rpg and the Japanese fans went nuts, so they went back to the drawing board, delaying the game by a fair chunk iirc. The result was a traditional DQ turn-based battle system; don't know if it's better than what was announced, but it was definitely what people wanted.

I used to think this, but then REmake showed how clever use of pan and scan can make it possible without redrawing static backdrops. I played almost the whole game in the new widescreen mode.

Oh, you don't need to redo them to be able to re-render them, if you have the original you can just re-render it...

But if you don't have the original... Good luck doing that.

anothertech

Reading this thread again brings out my violent tendencies. Why does it still exist? Why do I still have these feels? Am I in an abusive relationship with you squeenix???

Yeah, this is never going to stop feeling like a kick in the teeth, everytime I'm reminded if it.

About 6 months on, and I still can't fathom how anyone at SE or Sony thought that presentation was a good idea.

why does it seem like SE development cycles take far too long? we all know mainline entries take 6+ years for them but even remasters suffer from extended port times.

playXray

Oh, you don't need to redo them to be able to re-render them, if you have the original you can just re-render it...

But if you don't have the original... Good luck doing that.

I'm not talking about re-rendering - I literally just mean changing from 4:3 to 16:9. I didn't realise that pan and scan would do such a good job of enabling a square image to be used in widescreen.

1 - Square apparently no longer has the assets to the game, so any actual changes to it would require the game to be remade.

I see. So a lot of work would have to go into it. That's understandable I guess.

Chinbo37

letitgo.gif

lol seriously tho, this was such a troll job its not even funny.

Was such an amazing RPG. I was a Nintendo/n64 fanboy at the time of release and I remember those EGM 2 page ads for FFVII and getting fired up. I didnt actually play the game until a couple years after release but it was incredible. Those summons were just epic for the time.

people are still expecting a realistic looking ff7 game?

how would that work in some of the areas or events?

FFXIII saga had no problem showing us this Chocobo:

wN5uKOQ.jpg

So it's clear that SE doesn't mind putting silly concepts in realistic-looking settings.

people are still expecting a realistic looking ff7 game?

how would that work in some of the areas or events?

It will be a new Game which will profit from todays technology.
I dont think anyone (if a Next Gen Remake happens) doesn't expect any major changes

Aside from the possible censorship, I don't think the Honey Bee Inn scene is technically that difficult to depict.

Red XIII on two legs in a sailor costume on the other hand...

wmlk

If SE can pull off Lightning Dress-Up: Final Fantasy XIII, the Honey Bee Inn shouldn't be that big of an issue.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If it was remade, I'd kinda rather have a gritty/cartoon look (still isometric) than a realistic, open world look.
I saw a fan made mockup a while back of a possible FFVII remake that looked a lot like the DS FFIV with good AA. It looked great. Still cartoony but with the properly proportioned characters. Wish I could find it again. Seems like a nice way to approach something like that. Keeps the old charm while still providing a substantial upgrade and wouldn't be as difficult/expensive/time consuming as a full blown modern AAA RPG.

I'm actually really looking forward to this port lol. Though it'd be out by now, but I suppose they're spacing it away from Type-0, though it'll have to come out soon to avoid clashing with FFX.

koutoru

I wouldn't be surprised if this got a stealth release at this point.

It'll be like how Temco Koei used to stealth release the Atelier series, one day it'll just appear on the PSN store out of nowhere.

Roxas

I'd like to think it would be out before the end of April. Wouldnt think they would put it in the same window as FFX HD or Heavensward

Joqu

I saw a fan made mockup a while back of a possible FFVII remake that looked a lot like the DS FFIV with good AA. It looked great. Still cartoony but with the properly proportioned characters. Wish I could find it again. Seems like a nice way to approach something like that. Keeps the old charm while still providing a substantial upgrade and wouldn't be as difficult/expensive/time consuming as a full blown modern AAA RPG.

I feel like the FF7 spin-offs have really warped people's perceptions of the original game. 7 has a lovely stylized art-style that'd I'd hate to lose if they were to ever remake that game. It'd make sense to go realistic for 8 but not 7. That PS3 tech demo has always looked dreadful to me.

The approach you described is what I'd really want and it'd be the only way to make similar remakes for 8 and 9 viable too. But unfortunately that's not what most fans have been clamoring for in my experience.

(Although I would argue that should keep the overworld's chibi proportions myself. That wouldn't be a must though.)

I'd love to see that picture, it's a shame you can't find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom