• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

mrmickfran

It could meet those expectations.

For comparisons sake:

VII: 9.72 mil
VIII: 8.15 mil
X: 6.6 mil
IX: 5.30 mil
XII: 5.2 mil

Elandyll

Banned
Uh oh...

PC version definitely confirmed.
Certainly, but I also wonder if the Movie this summer will be considered a cost or a way to lessen the costs (if the CG was produced within then production cycle of the game with the same assets, the prod cost might be considered relatively marginal I guess).

Burt

Now I know why I was getting The Spirits Within vibes when I saw that CG video

But hey, PC port confirmed!

I see that square Enix success expectations haven't changed. Didn't it basically fuck over games like sleeping dogs or deus ex where they sold really well but because of ridiculous expectations they weren't considered successes?

-PS4 + X1 releases
-DLC
-PC port
-PS4K + X(?) '4k Extended Edition'
-NX port

Maybe they make the money back with all of these potential releases?

Lunar15

I'm curious to see how Square Enix ends up changing their game development going forward if this ends up hitting around half its target.

I think they already have started making changes. Dropping their internal engine for Unreal is probably a related move.

That's quite a bit when even Final Fantasy VII has only sold like what, 11 million?

But that was a different time. To put things into perspective, the best selling game during FF7's generation was Mario 64 at 12m. By comparison, GTAV sold 11m in a day. Games simply sell a lot more now.

Mortemis

Banned
If the marketing really plays out well, and it has good word of mouth, I don't see this as impossible.

Not likely, but not like its impossible.

LordRaptor

Sort of bizarre that their financial projections are on units sold rather than revenue, when they could probably hit an arbitrary 20 million by selling it for $5 at launch or whatever

Welfare

Well, Square is always one for lofty expectations.

I see it hitting that. Exposure for the game will be huge, and it will most likely hit PC some time after launch, so 10 million is likely.

vareon

At this point I think the FFXV is used as a way to reinvigorate the brand, bringing it back to the mainstream eyes rather than recouping development cost after the ridiculous development hell. With the FF brand stronger, SE will be in a better position.

Mitch

Banned
How much did 13 sell?

I feel like this game, even if it is amazing, won't really big that huge of a hit like the older titles.

Square Enix when will you get it into your thick skulls that these sales expectations are pretty much fucked from the get go. Did you learn nothing from Tomb Raider, because 10 million is asking too much ffs.

So twice than Witcher 3, which is 5M LTD so far?

I don't know about that unless this is sarcasm.
TW3 wasn't a game from a classic franchise with 10 years of hype behind it that can make people buy one million copies of a shite game just to get a demo of it.

Reaching that in 90 days is a pipe dream though lol

kewlmyc

This game needs to be the best thing ever and blow everyone's minds for that to happen. Like 10/10 across the boards. Even then, it still might not. Witcher 3 did this and still didn't get over 5 million iirc.

Ydelnae

"it needs to sell 10 million copies, worldwide, over entire the life-span of the game"

They are not saying that it needs to hit 10 million within a year. While I don't think it will outsell FFVII, I think it will seat at the ~8 million mark once the generation is done.

duckroll

MLOhTiU.jpg

entremet

TW3 wasn't a game from a classic franchise with 10 years of hype behind it that can make people buy one million copies of a shite game just to get a demo of it.

Do you think this game has 10 years of hype? Maybe for diehards, but I'm not seeing from the general gaming populace.

Most people haven't been following this project that long. That's a very dedicated minority.

Top Bottom