• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

Good luck with that.
They're starting with a brand damaged since FFXIII trilogy and it's only on PS4 and One at launch. Not that a PC SKU would've changed that much but they easily lost 500k to 1m sales for not having it.

By the time they're done throwing money at 10 years of development hell, movies with big voice actors, animes, mobile games, fancy presentations, it's little wonder why the game has to sell an unreasonable number of copies to succeed.

Honestly, a Final Fantasy game could sell that number, but it would have to be pretty much 9-10/10, somehow appeal to both the east and the west despite diverging tastes, and satisfy and delight long standing fans while still being approachable to newcomers. which I still don't see Final Fantasy XV being at all. I expect a bad JRPG by JRPG standards, and a bad open world game by Open World standards.

KingBroly

Banned
So...1 million copies for each year in development?

Unless they plan to port this to PC, NX, mobile and have PS4K/XB1.5 remasters...I can't see this happening.

TW3 wasn't a game from a classic franchise with 10 years of hype behind it that can make people buy one million copies of a shite game just to get a demo of it.

Reaching that in 90 days is a pipe dream though lol
But we already know no game in the series has sold this much except for apparently ffvii.

These are numbers that gta could make. Final Fantasy though?

FF is still a massive series. Look at the hype for the FF7 remake. I'm sure a ton of casual gamers will be interested in checking out what FF15 looks like. I think they could hit that number.

Do they realize that the consumer base/appetite for their series isn't anywhere near large enough to justify that?

This game has dragged on so long and the cultural confusion will really hamper this game.

Vashetti

Banned
The later PC release will catch a lot of double-dippers.

Digital availability on the console stores will keep it visible when retail presence has faded, plus sale prices.

I could see it doing 10 million in the long run, but I hope they don't get disappointed when it doesn't do it in 1 year.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

The video game equivalent of Batman V Superman

Durante

So they really need those double dippers they expect from delaying the PC version. Maybe a next-gen re-release as well. And some fire sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
... How?

How many copies would it need to sell in the US? 6 million alone?

Even if we're extremely generous, it won't move more than 1.5 million copies in Japan. 1 million is a lot more realistic.

This series historically has done a fair bit worse in Europe than the U.S., so I would say at least 5 million in the US.

Steam sales would push the game there, but it has to be a super generous sale.

I don't see it doing more than 6 million at full price.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, I knew after that conference, they were all in.

I wonder if we're witnessing a repeat of the Spirits Within debacle...

Thing is even with a PC release, they would want those sales at full price. I guess a bunch of sale prices would be nice for them in the long run though.
FF is still a massive series. Look at the hype for the FF7 remake. I'm sure a ton of casual gamers will be interested in checking out what FF15 looks like. I think they could hit that number.

The hype from people that played the original and not new players?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
10 million?
Good luck with that....

Not going to happen

No way the game is that good

... How?

How many copies would it need to sell in the US? 6 million alone?

10 million copies?? uhhhhhhhh.........ok.

After the platinum demo, you can mark this as a failure sales wise now.

No way the Witcher 3 sold only 5 million so far

They're gonna need to market the hell out of this game if they wanna sell that many copies.

Meanwhile, at Mistwalker...

goochyesd5u9v.gif

Skulldead

after the demo not a chance they will make it.... this was truly a big mistake to release that because all the trailer look phenomenal.

KaYotiX

Banned
No way FF 15 is selling 10 million copies. I could see 6 million at the most. Especially after the average last few games they released

Top Bottom