• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

I'm also curious about the other party members abilities, up until now they've all been pretty tame, like Ignis marking, Gladio swinging his sword aroung and Prompto shooting things.
I hope they too get some crazy looking moves by endgame.

Probably moves that were originally designed for Noctis are given to the party members. For instance, Dragoon Jump can be assigned to Gladio and whatnot.

I think this game has the most extensive use of GPU particles out of any game out there so far...including Infamous Second Son. It also has the most realistic running and walking animation imo, in fact all the animations in this game appear top notch.

And it's amazing it does so while doing so many other things.

And now just to unshackle it from the hardware keeping it down :p

giphy.gif

Lmao wth prompto

I might like Prompto's character a little more because of this

I'm also curious about the other party members abilities, up until now they've all been pretty tame, like Ignis marking, Gladio swinging his sword aroung and Prompto shooting things.
I hope they too get some crazy looking moves by endgame.
Yea so far we got..
Ignis-mark
RaggedConcreteArthropods.gif

Gladio-i forget what his is called
Prompto-flare(not official),kickback
blast(or something like that) and the freezing shot
DamagedPopularGypsymoth.gif

I might like Prompto's character a little more because of this
Best character in the group

Yea so far we got..
Ignis-mark
Gladio-i forget what his is called
Prompto-flare(not official),kickback
blast(or something like that) and the freezing shot

Gladio is tempest used to be Noctis move (Noctis can now do it manually)

1424621057-tempest.gif

Ignis will probably get this move the dragoon jump (Noctis can also do this manually)
AxVvjPlsYpVYAB2w12.gif

Gladio is tempest used to be Noctis move (Noctis can now do it manually)
AxVvjPlsYpVYAB2w12.gif

Ignis will probably get this move the dragoon jump (Noctis can also do this manually)
AxVvjPlsYpVYAB2w12.gif
The dragon jump was seen in the infiltration trailer right? And than later we see another version later that looks like a team skill with ignis where he throws the spear back at noct.

I'm honestly not worried about skills at all

And now just to unshackle it from the hardware keeping it down :p

"Look at those jagged sprites! SNES is really holding FFIII back!" is a claim I never saw back in the ancient days of online message bulletin boards (RIP The Sierra Network's 'RPG Video Games' BB). Hell, same with even the PS1 FF games.

The following rambling is not solely directed at you, Dictator93 (and I acknowledge your smilie-face :D), but it's a subject that has finally hit a nerve with me: this constant desire by many to criticize XV's technical presentation in favor of the potential of a more advanced version.

Not saying that no one in the history of the internet ever publicly yearned for the older FFs to be on better hardware, but it was rare in my experience. What you saw is what you got. The PC master race game audience and console game audience just didn't seem to bleed into each other.

Granted, I've never witnessed a FF release without its fair share of criticisms (many reasonable, but some at times eye-rolling negative hyperbole, i.e. "FFVII has removed all 'fantasy' from Final Fantasy" or a classic "FMV has officially ruined FF") since vocal online boards/forums have been around, but I can't help the feeling that the closer connection between the console & PC game ecosystem in the past 10 years or so has added a layer of insufferability that is just tiring to me. This doesn't just go for this particular game.

It is now impossible to go into practically any console game thread without either A. "looks bad; will wait for the PC version" or B. somehow acceptable port-begging with people rallying for a PC version that (as of now) doesn't exist. "Shit, this would look so much better on a high end PC!"
Yeah... everyone knows.

I apologize for the 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' bitchfest post and it's not lost on me that this is, in fact, a thread regarding the tech of FFXV. This will probably not be a popular opinion, but I certainly didn't want to be victim of a GAF-favorite thread backfire. :p
I just feel like XV is an absolutely gorgeous looking console game and the immediate and constant desire for it to look even better in every FFXV thread is something that is becoming as tiring to me as the 'boy band' criticisms or the bizarre Stella-worship posts that still persist.

Like I've said before, I'm sure there will be hundreds of pages over many years of people criticizing/defending the merits of FFXV as a game and as of now the overall package is an unknown quality, but what S-E has done with this game, technically, is extremely commendable... and yes, that goes for the unwashed console versions. ;)

"Look at those jagged sprites! SNES is really holding FFIII back!" is a claim I never saw back in the ancient days of online message bulletin boards (RIP The Sierra Network's 'RPG Video Games' BB). Hell, same with even the PS1 FF games.

Not saying that no one in the history of the internet ever publicly yearned for the older FFs to be on better hardware, but it was rare in my experience. What you saw is what you got. The PC master race game audience and console game audience just didn't seem to bleed into each other.

Granted, I've never witnessed a FF release without its fair share of criticisms (many reasonable, but some at times eye-rolling negative hyperbole, i.e. "FFVII has removed all 'fantasy' from Final Fantasy" or a classic "FMV has officially ruined FF") since vocal online boards/forums have been around, but I can't help the feeling that the closer connection between the console & PC game ecosystem in the past 10 years or so has added a layer of insufferability that is just tiring to me. This doesn't just go for this particular game.

It is now impossible to go into practically any console game thread without either A. "looks bad; will wait for the PC version" or B. somehow acceptable port-begging with people rallying for a PC version that (as of now) doesn't exist. "Shit, this would look so much better on a high end PC!"
Yeah... everyone knows.

I apologize for the 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' bitchfest post and it's not lost on me that this is, in fact, a thread regarding the tech of FFXV. This will probably not be a popular opinion, but I certainly didn't want to be victim of a GAF-favorite thread backfire. :p
I just feel like XV is an absolutely gorgeous looking console game and the immediate and constant desire for it to look even better in every FFXV thread is something that is becoming as tiring to me as the 'boy band' criticisms or the bizarre Stella-worship posts that still persist.

Like I've said before, I'm sure there will be hundreds of pages over many years of people criticizing/defending the merits of FF as a game and as of now the overall package is an unknown quality, but what S-E has done with this game, technically, is extremely commendable... and yes, that goes for the unwashed console versions. ;)

I'm with you. One reason I'm looking forward to release is so the game can finally be debated on its merits as a game, as opposed to its status as an evolving tech demo.

Kremzeek

Do they talk about any improvements to their AA?

Last time they mentioned it they said they were computing AA for only a partial of a frame or something, which is why the edges have looked so shimmery in the playable demos.

Tyaren

Do they talk about any improvements to their AA?

Last time they mentioned it they said they were computing AA for only a partial of a frame or something, which is why the edges have looked so shimmery in the playable demos.

I don't think this is going to change... Sounded as if the temporal AA was their final target. There's only so much you can squeeze out of the PS4/XBOne when the game is already that graphically demanding.

Amon-Lau

Wait, where do the blue dodge particle come from at the beginning, from the soldier dodging the android, which would be... strange?

I think it's Noctis but they made his character invisible to show off just prompto's actions, which is why the camera looked like it was moving as if it was following noctis~

ViciousDS

Banned
What do you use for making GIFs, btw? I usually use Instagiffer, but for that Garula GIF I needed something that I could import local videos from my drive because the whole YouTube video was too long for Instagiffer.

GIFcam is extremely easy to use, and was probably the most used GAF program.

ViciousDS

Banned
I use Gyazo Gif which records about 8 seconds of an area you mark and converts it to a gif or mp4, similar to how Lightshot works for screenshots.

I think Screen2GIF was another one I used until they changed the whole layout and I hated it so damn much

It's a bit odd that there's 13 Phantom Weapons in FF15, holdover from when it was V13?

Yeah - it looks cool.
Do we have any idea of how many magic spells are in the game, are we expecting all the FF staples (haste, bio etc)

Looked like there were three major elements (fire, lightning, blizzard) plus another (moon?), might be white magic, because the moon is related to healing or something.

But I think we've seen Ignis break out Haste as part of a teamup attack.

Ray Down

Banned
It's a bit odd that there's 13 Phantom Weapons in FF15, holdover from when it was V13?

Looked like there were three major elements (fire, lightning, blizzard) plus another (moon?), might be white magic, because the moon is related to healing or something.

But I think we've seen Ignis break out Haste as part of a teamup attack.

It's 13 because we get them from the Knight of the Round.

from what we can see in-game now however, it is true that current Armiger state lacks incentive to use it frequently DPS aside.

but there is a move so called "Phantom Ability" according to progress report(Ghosting is English name but in Japanese it is Phantom Ability)
this kind of special moves will enhance the use of Armiger I hope
EquatorialConfusedAmphibian.gif

They have katana animations in the game and yet the Masamune handles exactly like the broadsword and other weapons. WHY?

Philippo

Kind of unrelated, but i was thinking of making a thread all the lore, characters and story informations we have about the game, maybe to try and gauge the interest of those who think it's only "4 dudes on a roadtrip". Good idea?

So Regis is
the 14th, and Noctis is the 15th?

Well
Regis is actually the 113th King, but i guess that yeah you could see it that way.

They have katana animations in the game and yet the Masamune handles exactly like the broadsword and other weapons. WHY?

First thing i thought about when they showed it lol

Ketaya

My theory is that the katana is a phantom weapon and that they want the animations to be unique for these.
So they used generic animations for the preorder weapons, even if they don't always fit.

My theory is that the katana is a phantom weapon and that they want the animations to be unique for these.
So they used generic animations for the preorder weapons, even if they don't always fit.

Makes sense -- I'm hyped at the idea of each phantom weapon controlling slightly differently and having it's own special attacks/gimmicks.

Philippo

I just wonder how Royal Weapons (i just rewatched some E3 footage and noticed they're not Phantom anymore) are going to fit into the weapons balancement.
Like, why would i switch to normal weapons when i have Royal ones.

Ray Down

Banned
I just wonder how Royal Weapons (i just rewatched some E3 footage and noticed they're not Phantom anymore) are going to fit into the weapons balancement.

Waste more MP way faster/constantly drain it?

I hope this isn't the case, because there are katanas beyond phantom weapons in the game and them sharing animations with swords or great swords would be a real letdown.

Ketaya

I hope this isn't the case, because there are katanas beyond phantom weapons in the game and them sharing animations with swords or great swords would be a real letdown.

There are? Because I don't think I've seen any other yet and there isn't a katana category in the menu either.

Maybe you can only equip one phantom weapon at a time...

Either one of these or maybe they are the only type of weapon that it's not upgreadable?

Interesting idea -- I have mixed feelings on it. If there's a favorite phantom weapon, would be a shame for it to quickly become obsolete.

On the other hand, you'll always be acquiring new phantom weapons, and this could force switching up load-outs and combos, and go a ways to keeping things fresh over 60 hours.

There are? Because I don't think I've seen any other yet and there isn't a katana category in the menu either.

In one of the shots of the updated UI where weapons have unique silhouettes- not a one-size fits all for each category anymore- I could swear I saw an icon that was clearly a katana. However, I can't find it despite looking pretty hard. My inclination is that they're likely classified technically as "swords" and "greatswords".

In this SIGGRAPH video the top icon of Noctis' weapon selection looks extremely katanaesque as well, though the low quality makes it impossible for me to confidently assert it is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLf4J0IF4oI&feature=youtu.be

Philippo

Interesting idea -- I have mixed feelings on it. If there's a favorite phantom weapon, would be a shame for it to quickly become obsolete.

On the other hand, you'll always be acquiring new phantom weapons, and this could force switching up load-outs and combos, and go a ways to keeping things fresh over 60 hours.

Especially because even if you stop using one, you still have the skill it unlocks for Armiger mode, so it's not like it's completely gone.

My vote is that royal weapons are definitely gated by MP cost given that the Cross Shuriken consumes MP with every throw. You couldn't stack your deck with just royal weapons, as you'd constantly be MP starved and throwing yourself into stasis or else not attacking often enough to make the power of the weapons worth it. Likewise, you'd be missing out on the unique capabilities of the mundane weapon types like the shield which was excellent against the iron giant.

I'd kill for the ability to swap weapon loadouts on the fly without pausing the game, because I can see a great variety of viable arsenals for varied foes.

My vote is that royal weapons are definitely gated by MP cost given that the Cross Shuriken consumes MP with every throw. You couldn't stack your deck with just royal weapons, as you'd constantly be MP starved and throwing yourself into stasis or else not attacking often enough to make the power of the weapons worth it. Likewise, you'd be missing out on the unique capabilities of the mundane weapon types like the shield which was excellent against the iron giant.

I'd kill for the ability to swap weapon loadouts on the fly without pausing the game, because I can see a great variety of viable arsenals for varied foes.

We got guns too!
tumblr_ntvlagN4Yc1qgio5qo1_500.gif

I agree with you on the phantom weapons consuming MP, also worth mentioning each phantom weapon can have a specific ability. For instance in the platinum demo the airstrip sword allows Noctis to air-maneuver and the broadsword makes him gain MP with each swing. In Duscae we had Noctis with the drain ability on command for the final game I expect a sword to have that specific ability. I'm curious about what the engine sword does.. The little that we seen of it allows Noctis to warp in the air.

1371016196-noctis-teleport.gif

Ketaya

In one of the shots of the updated UI where weapons have unique silhouettes- not a one-size fits all for each category anymore- I could swear I saw an icon that was clearly a katana. However, I can't find it despite looking pretty hard. My inclination is that they're likely classified technically as "swords" and "greatswords".

In this SIGGRAPH video the top icon of Noctis' weapon selection looks extremely katanaesque as well, though the low quality makes it impossible for me to confidently assert it is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLf4J0IF4oI&feature=youtu.be

Hmm, in the Siggraph video that's just a regular sword, there's a slightly better quality version here (20min in the video):
https://www.pathlms.com/siggraph/events/609/video_presentations/31754

This made me think: If they actually end up making a bigger story DLC I really want them to add at least one completely new type of weapon to keep the gameplay fresh.

Yep, more weapon decks would be nice.

Hmm, in the Siggraph video that's just a regular sword, there's a slightly better quality version here (20min in the video):
https://www.pathlms.com/siggraph/events/609/video_presentations/31754

This made me think: If they actually end up making a bigger story DLC I really want them to add at least one completely new type of weapon to keep the gameplay fresh.

Are you sure? That still looks to me like that could be the square hilt of a katana. I agree with you on more weapon types, though. I suppose it would just be strange to me if they programmed thirteen unique weapon types and then had all of the other seven "bread and butter" weapon types work exactly the same way as one another. Not that I'm complaining as that would still be some pretty intense weapon variety, and we have on katana either way.

Philippo

I really, really hope they do something like this, otherwise i'll have to switch them everytime there is a particular enemy in front of me (like, a monster hunt).

Let's say i have 3 loadouts that i can quickly switch, i can keep one for everytime use, one for maybe magic spells and one for a specific monster hunt.

I really, really hope they do something like this, otherwise i'll have to switch them everytime there is a particular enemy in front of me (like, a monster hunt).

Let's say i have 3 loadouts that i can quickly switch, i can keep one for everytime use, one for maybe magic spells and one for a specific monster hunt.

My man. This is the ideal right here, especially since I found myself tackling the sabretusks in Duscae in a vastly different fashion to the iron giant in PD. I'd probably end up pretty much like you, with one deck for magic spells, one deck for the variety of smaller enemies that has a lot of wide or powerful attacks and one deck for large monsters that contains a shield to knock them on their ass.

This is something that can be addressed quickly via a patch. Too bad we haven't seen any journalist ask the question. It's just like DMC3 press R2 for example to cycle the already preset deck.

Aters

So far fighting the large enemies doesn't actually look fun at all.

I don't think fun is the first priority for these fights. They are just eye candies that awe you once for a while. You won't fight them all the time in the game. It's like the summons in old FF games. It's not that fun to sit there and watch a one minute animation, but that's what FF do: over-the-top extravaganza.

Top Bottom