• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

I don't find the "Final Fantasy haven't had great story telling" point to be particularly compelling or necessarily true. Even if we accept that the story in the series has historically been poor, I don't want to accept mediocrity or the status quo. There's nothing wrong with asking for the team to aim higher, especially if story is being foisted into such a central role and with such high production values.

That's starting to grind my gears, tbh.

FF games have always been known for whacky stories. You can call them "bad" or "good" - but they have damn near *always* been high-concept and littered with insane twists and turns,

This game, from its cast to its story just bucks everything that has always defined (and made me love) mainline FFs.

A bro-metal band on a road trip to see a doomed trophy girl caught up in a Romeo+Juliet story is not what FF was ever close to being about to me, at least. BUT if you use history as a framework - this game was always meant to be a spin-off, I believe.

Some people (unknown) wanted to force this into a mainline FF (presumably due to money already invested), and this is what we got.

I'm still confounded by the hate for XIII.

It had a great battle system, music, intricate (if confusing as hell) story, character development to a degree, and half the characters were good (Fang, Sazh, Lightning).

FFXV could easily turn out better, but right now it is clear that it all but ignores female characters, a diverse cast, has arguably equal or worse dialogue than XIII, wonky combat, and falls right into many gendered tropes right off the bat.

And to boot, the story is a big pile of "meh" from how its shaping up.

I don't think that opinion is blasphemous at all - the hate for XIII and the hope/hype for XV are blinding some people here, I think.

People should chill on the hyperbole and bashing XIII cause XV isn't looking like a spring chicken either, and shitting on either game is gonna turn this thread into a fanboy war.
I also didn't think XIII was terrible but that game has probably the longest beginning grind out of any RPG to this day. For the 20-30 hours your just hitting the auto-attack until you reach a boss.

Nothing big. I just don't think Luna dying after being underwhelming in Kingsglaive, and essentially being on the backburner for most of the game actually sends any message about a strong female character.

The story so far seems very straight forward and a lot of the last minute implementations leave me concerned(a day 1 patch for better combat and crudely cut and pasting kingsglaive movie cut-scenes into the game so the story actually makes sense, wtf?)
Ah. Gotcha! Thanks for explaining! Yeah this has been an interesting last few days to put it lightly.

Still nothing on spoilers? Come on Peru represent! Or he just gave up. Dang.

Burbeting

Banned

FF games have always been known for whacky stories. You can call them "bad" or "good" - but they have damn near *always* been high-concept and littered with insane twists and turns,

This game, from its cast to its story just bucks everything that has always defined (and made me love) mainline FFs.

A bro-metal band on a road trip to see a doomed trophy girl caught up in a Romeo+Juliet story is not what FF was ever close to being about to me, at least. BUT if you use history as a framework - this game was always meant to be a spin-off, I believe.

Some people (unknown) wanted to force this into a mainline FF (presumably due to money already invested), and this is what we got.

Honest question. What defines FF-storytelling to you?

Welp. Seems like you've already made up your mind about the game and a story you haven't seen play out. Unfortunate, as I would love people to give it a fair shake as you seem to have done for every prior game in the series including XIII.

Nothing I've seen from the story makes me think it's bad. I don't know how it's going to play out but I'm usually easy to please. I've enjoyed the story of most of the FF games I've played for the most part. That's how I feel this one will be. The story itself seems simple and straightforward enough.
Conversely, nothing I've seen from the story makes me think it's good.

"Simple and straightforward" doesn't mean it's going to be good anyways. There are of course stories that have managed to do a pared down narrative and come out well, usually because of their characters though. But plenty of stories pare themselves down too much and end up as "too basic."

Aters

Perubros need to save us from misery. I think we can all make a better judgement of the story when we know more about it. Seriously though, the game is out for 3, 4 days and no whole story impression yet?

I'm still confounded by the hate for XIII.

It had a great battle system, music, intricate (if confusing as hell) story, character development to a degree, and half the characters were good (Fang, Sazh, Lightning).

FFXV could easily turn out better, but right now it is clear that it all but ignores female characters, a diverse cast, has arguably equal or worse dialogue than XIII, wonky combat, and falls right into many gendered tropes right off the bat.

And to boot, the story is a big pile of "meh" from how its shaping up.

I don't think that opinion is blasphemous at all - the hate for XIII and the hope/hype for XV are blinding some people here, I think.

People should chill on the hyperbole and bashing XIII cause XV isn't looking like a spring chicken either, and shitting on either game is gonna turn this thread into a fanboy war.

XIII was always bad, this isn't new news. There was always a group of people that liked it, but after a year of so that wasn't the majority.

Welp. Seems like you've already made up your mind about the game and a story you haven't seen play out. Unfortunate, as I would love people to give it a fair shake as you seem to have done for every prior game in the series including XIII.

He always had a hate hardon for FFXV since many, many months / years ago. This is also not news.

Posts like this grind my gears because you're nostalgic for something that's shit - mistaking story complexity for quality, and throwing concepts at the player without taking any time to actually do anything with them leading to something massively incoherent.

It's doubly daft because by all accounts this plot ruins the standard plucky heroes vs evil empire stuff for "plague of stars" "secretly 2,000 year old demon" and "10 years sleep", which are exactly those wacky twists you love that make the game have nothing to do with its original concept by the end.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Strange.

I don't paint everyone with a wide brush. I am sure there are some great people over in that forum. Not sure why I am a special snowflake.

Cuz you're the resident damage controller and fanboy. That's why. You are consistently the most vocal user when it comes to trying to tone down FFXV being bad.

Sylas

I want to know what the fuck is high concept about any of the prior Final Fantasy games. It's been schlocky fantasy, at best, from the get-go. Existentialism is not high concept. It's about as sophomoric as it comes (and I love existentialism).

aravuus

Weird spoiler thread. Been reading from the beginning and still the only thing I know about the story is one character death.

He always had a hate hardon for FFXV since many, many months / years ago. This is also not news.

That's fine. It's his prerogative to do so. I'd personally love to get him to play through it with an open mind and get some good discussion out of it.

Cuz you're the resident damage controller and fanboy. That's why. You are consistently the most vocal user when it comes to trying to tone down FFXV being bad.

I really like the game. I am sincerely sorry that offends you.

I also defend Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts 2, Tales of games, and Cathrine.

So this is what happens when there are no spoilers. Come on Peruvian guy!

What's the matter with that? Is that bad? He has put a bit more into this project than any of us save Falk as far as I know.

I think the uncharted 4 spoiler thread was worse, since for awhile it was all about the crash stuff.
Ah crap I didn't play that part yet!

Just kidding! Already knew about it but haven't played it yet.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

People like to read well reasoned opinions not drivel based on fanboying over the idea of what a game might be. Sorry if that offends you( x_X ) easy shades thrown, I mean judging by your comments on anything criticism just haters being haters it really seemingly does.

kayos90

I also defend Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts 2, Tales of games, and Cathrine.

I never said it offended me. It's just hard to take anyone seriously, especially you, when it's constant defense of the game when 1.) it isn't released 2.) you work for SE 3.) and your constant arrival in the thread when someone just says anything remotely bad about the game.

Ploid 3.0

Man the story and acting in this game is so much cheese. Looking like a easy game so far, hope it move it from normal to highest to test it out. This seems like if DMC's little brother was a RPG.

The cutscene script is better. The random battle and random banter just seem odd.

People like to read well reasoned opinions not drivel based on fanboying over the idea of what a game might be. Sorry if that offends you( x_X ) easy shades thrown, I mean judging by your comments on anything criticism just haters being haters it really seemingly does.

I'd love to give opinion on the game. Once it's released and in the open I plan on doing just that. As I've said before I am baised because of the fact that I did work on the game.

I've never shut down opinion on the game. If people don't like the game I am more than welcome to listening to it. Just because I want to engage doesn't mean I am trying to shut down criticism.

I never said it offended me. It's just hard to take anyone seriously, especially you, when it's constant defense of the game when 1.) it isn't released 2.) you work for SE 3.) and your constant arrival in the thread when someone just says anything remotely bad about the game.

Didn't say you were offended. I said "if your offended." If you're not then awesome! I'd love to be able to talk to you like we once did. If you hate how the main characters act I am not going to attack you for that. If someone attacks it for a "weak story" I would at least want that person to at least experience the story before coming to that conclusion.

And I get that. I've always told people to take my opinion with a grain of salt given my position.

Although you are right, it hasn't released so it's hard to take anyone's praise and criticism seriously (except for those that have played it).

I don't work for SE currently. FFXV was the last game I worked on for them this year.

I may occasionally pop up in threads but I don't respond to every post that criticizes the game. Far from it actually. I post mainly on weekends as that's my downtime and I rarely post on weekdays. But I appreciate you trying to keep me honest whenever I do post.

kayos90

I'd love to give opinion on the game. Once it's released and in the open I plan on doing just that. As I've said before I am baised because of the fact that I did work on the game.

I've never shut down opinion on the game. If people don't like the game I am more than welcome to listening to it. Just because I want to engage doesn't mean I am trying to shut down criticism.

Didn't say you were offended. I said "if your offended." If you're not then awesome! I'd love to be able to talk to you like we once did. If you hate how the main characters act I am not going to attack you for that. If someone attacks it for a "weak story" I would at least want that person to at least experience the story before coming to that conclusion.

And I get that. I've always told people to take my opinion with a grain of salt given my position.

Although you are right, it hasn't released so it's hard to take anyone's praise and criticism seriously (except for those that have played it).

I don't work for SE currently. FFXV was the last game I worked on for them this year.

I may occasionally pop up in threads but I don't respond to every post that criticizes the game. Far from it actually. I post mainly on weekends as that's my downtime and I rarely post on weekdays. But I appreciate you trying to keep me honest whenever I do post.

Appreciate your transparency mate. =)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Watching a stream and this game simply has the most awkward story presentation i've seen in an RPG recently.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't know that. Seems I might be mistaking you for someone else in which case I apologize. Just some of the stuff I have read grates me. FF fans are all in the same boat that they hope the game will be a good experience for each of them. Reading the "you're just hatin" defense or the comments on the "anti XV" conspiracy....

Top Bottom