• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

Go_Ly_Dow

I read this will be added into the game later on?

But jesus christ this should have been there since the beginning fucking square

Returning to Insomnia at the end would have had so much more impact if the game even had like an hour or two of setting the scene for the empire at the beginning. A few moments with Regis and laying the foundations of the political dynamic and a brief moment saying farewell to the city and some residents.

Given how they were able to churn out so many throwaway environments, cutscenes and demos right up until the games launch, I don't think this would have been a tall order really. Delivering a better opening should have been a development focus.

Ran rp

The new content should add more Iris.

Speaking of which, I accidentally hit the Share button and took these shots of Iris... and then I accidentally copied them to a USB stick... and then I accidentally plugged the stick into my laptop, and uploaded them to the Internet:

rip in peace

edit: so wtf was that thing about gladio and "big brothers turning a blind eye" or something like that?

c'mon devs

sappyday

Returning to Insomnia at the end would have had so much more impact if the game even had like an hour or two of setting the scene for the empire at the beginning. A few moments with Regis and laying the foundations of the political dynamic and a brief moment saying farewell to the city and some residents.

Given how they were able to churn out so many throwaway environments, cutscenes and demos right up until the games launch, I don't think this would have been a tall order really.

Which is why I hope they add some significant stuff with the patches. I really hope it's not just a couple of cutscenes. I hope they're fixing up the stuff they couldn't finish and adding it later.

Go_Ly_Dow

Which is why I hope they add some significant stuff with the patches. I really hope it's not just a couple of cutscenes. I hope they're fixing up the stuff they couldn't finish and adding it later.

Like it could have started with the bro's knocking on Noctis apartment to wake him up (that was shown in Brotherhood), saying farewell to your home, making your way through a small segment of the city and the characters perhaps reminiscing about pastimes in those locations as they say goodbye, gradually making your way to the palace whilst touching upon Nifelheim/commenting on how life will be different for Noctis from now on etc...

Reaching the palace, a flashback of Noctis and his father outside the palace, exploring the palace and flashbacks/dialogues amongst the various rooms and whatnot and then leading in to the scene at the beginning of the actual game.

Why was it so hard for them to think up something simple like this? Instead we know that they scrapped the original reworked opening because they didn't think it would be effective. I have no faith in the new writing team.

Like it could have started with the bro's knocking on Noctis apartment to wake him up (that was shown in Brotherhood), saying farewell to your home, making your way through a small segment of the city and the characters perhaps reminiscing about pastimes in those locations as they say goodbye, gradually making your way to the palace whilst touching upon Nifelheim/commenting on how life will be different for Noctis from now on etc...

Reaching the palace, a flashback of Noctis and his father outside the palace, exploring the palace and flashbacks/dialogues amongst the various rooms and whatnot and then leading in to the scene at the beginning of the actual game.

Why was it so hard for them to think up something simple like this? Instead we know that they scrapped the original reworked opening because they didn't think it would be effective. I have no faith in the new writing team.

Exposition doesn't seem to be their strongsuit.

Just finished the game. Did they seriously not involve Cor in the main story at all (other than guiding Noct to dig the first tomb)? Dude was the King slayer in the movie so I thought he would be one of the main boss in the game. So sad Noct died without knowing the asshole was a traitor.

Ishida

Banned
Just finished the game. Did they seriously not involve Cor in the main story at all (other than guiding Noct to dig the first tomb)? Dude was the King slayer in the movie so I thought he would be one of the main boss in the game. So sad Noct died without knowing the asshole was a traitor.

What..? I think you are confused. Drautos killed the King, not Cor.

yunbuns

Um he wasn't? That was the other guy Drautos or something like that.

Gg46iGzl.jpg

SfXoduTl.jpg

ultron87

So the lesson of this game was "do everything exactly as you're destined to, then you'll die but maybe things in the afterlife are okay?" I suppose I didn't see that coming given that multiple other FFs are all about fighting your fate.

ultron87

Yeah I also thought they were the same guy for a lot of Kingsglaive. Especially given that the guys are skeptical about how Cor survived when you meet him in the game.

Jonnax

They did think of it. It's in the prologue novella.

http://cdn.sqexeu.com/files/ff15/main_site/public/novella/FFXV_Novel_ENG.pdf
lol.

It's not much but they really should have had all of this in the game.

Oh jeez, I genuinely forgot about Cor's existence.

"I am sorry for not being able to protect your father, Your Majesty. I am deeply committed to your success in this terrible upcoming mission that has been unceremoniously forced upon you in cruel circumstances. But instead of serving my purpose and joining you all for Altissia, I'm gonna go over there and keep an eye on the Nifs for whatever reason. And then later I will sit my arse down and watch some TV of your bride making a generic inspirational speech".

Go_Ly_Dow

They did think of it. It's in the prologue novella.

http://cdn.sqexeu.com/files/ff15/main_site/public/novella/FFXV_Novel_ENG.pdf
lol.

It's not much but they really should have had all of this in the game.

Geez... This really should have been the prologue in the game.

I'm still baffled and cant get over that they had resources to spare to make tons of demos, tech demos and what not, but not enough to create a few extra cutscenes or flesh out a few areas to give the narrative much more strength. Like, how was that ignored and not a priority, but all the throwaway content was given priority?

I'm still baffled and cant get over that they had resources to spare to make tons of demos, tech demos and what not, but not enough to create a few extra cutscenes or flesh out a few areas to give the narrative much more strength. Like, how was that ignored and not a priority, but all the throwaway content was given priority?

Priorities, innit. They were deathly worried about the game a lot, thus the focus on such a slew of demos.

Go_Ly_Dow

Priorities, innit. They were deathly worried about the game a lot, thus the focus on such a slew of demos.

Bah, that's just so weak. :( It's frustrating.

Whatever happened to FF team using their own intuition on whether something will be received badly or fondly. The dissonance within the company and the fanbase is still massive despite all the "feedback".

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still think Cor and Drautos were supposed to be brothers before the rewrites and Drauto's redesign.
I heard this theory before and it makes a lot of sense. It calls to mind Basch/Gabranth from FFXII and gives more weight to Drautos being Glauca (which is totally random as it is right now)

Twookie

I completed the game a few days ago after having put it a bit on hold, I think it was a very good game all things considered after thinking about this for a while. I think, if someone asked me if I could summarise my experience with the game in one sentence, it would be; A great game that had the potential to be one of the best this generation.

Having read the leaks that popped up recently the situation over at BD2, I think that it's kinda amazing that the game ended up being as good as it was, and it's some feat that BD2 managed to create this product. I also get a bit sad because the game could've been so much more, the potential for an amazing game could've been there, if given more time and resources.

I'll try not to write too much, since I'm pretty lttp and my english is pretty bad, so I doubt I'll contribute that much, but please bear with me :(

~~Story~~

I think the concept of the story or the outline of the story was pretty good, but the way it was told was reaaaaaally bad. It just felt like there was so much missing stuff that it, and that the emotions the game wanted to express was unwarranted.

I think the way that they portrayed Luna is one of the biggest offender here. She has a screentime of what feels like less than 10 mins. I know I was supposed to be sad that she would die, but I couldn't really feel it.

I know I'm probably a "hopeless romantic" but I really wish Noctis and Luna did something together before they died, like if they spent a day or something in Altissia or texted eachother daily, maybe they could've sent pics to eachother or talked more often instead only having flashbacks and a dog that transfers a book :|

Runner ups are Verstael and Iedolas, they did barely exist wtf, but I guess they were not important in the grand scheme of things?

The pacing was really bad I think, inconsistent at best. The jump from the pacing 1->9 and then 9->15 was pretty jarring

~~Gameplay~~

Combat was alright, I wish I was better at it. Camera sucks ass.
Dungeons were fun, have yet to try the hidden one and the Adamantoise.

Roaming in the open world was great, I really liked that the world was "deceptively" big as it made me feel small and that the world was vast without being too big.

~~Ardyn~~

I think Ardyn was great, one of the few characters that got a bit fleshed out although the game definitely should've had more moments with him(but then again, every character probably should've). I also liked that he accomplished everything he set out to do. When he put up the bodies in the throne room and when he disguises Prompto as himself was probably my favorite moment with him.

~~Ending/last chapters~~
I really liked the ending, probably one of the best in series. It would DEF have been better with more character development though.
I actually kind of liked chapter 13, although I can definitely see why people wouldn't like it. It was somewhat tedious, but it gave me that survival horror vibe it was trying to achieve.

The last summons and boss fights were AMAZING to witness, the Bahamut summon and the Alterna spell was so fucking cool.
Leviathan bossfight was pretty lackluster in comparison imo.

Also why do you meet Talcott when you reawaken instead of Iris, Aranea or Cindy or someone that actually has some development?

~~TLDR/final thoughs~~
The outline of something great is there, but there's not enough substance. The story could have been amazing if it had "more meat" in it.
Wasted pontential for sure. I wish I had more FFXV story to play with. There should've been more moments with Insomnia and Tenebrae, or just every place really.

All in all, I really liked the game despite its faults, but it aches me SO much that it could've been so much better if not for the circumstances :(

I am cautiously optimistic for the story DLC and the fact they want to "fix" the story, I hope they manage to do so.

Thanks for reading (∼  ̄▽ ̄)∼

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Aranea being 30 is not surprising. She seemed significantly older than Noctis.

Cindy is a bit older than I expected though.

So Noctis is 20, but are his companions (minus Prompto who is like a year younger IIRC) in their mid-20's? Gladio was talking to her frequently in photos after I had her permanently join my party (making Prompto very jealous) so I kind of figured that Gladio and her were closer in age.

Ydelnae

Seems like the text from the Hexagods section of the Ultimania was indeed mistranslated. Regarding Ifrit, the person writing the text says that he doesn't know the details of the legend, but it's not Tabata talking. And some japanese fans were indeed insatisfied by this explanation of Ifrit's role in the game, since it basically doesn't say anything. But I repeat, it wasn't Tabata answering to that section.

However, Tabata did comment on what changed in Versus XIII's script once the game turned into XV.

Question: In regards to the main story of FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII, how many changes were there?
Hajime Tabata: FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII was one of and along with the FINAL FANTASY XIII main title, both were based on the story of the Goddess in the ''Fabula Nova Crystalis'' series. However, as the title changed to FINAL FANTASY XV and as the next gen hardware came into development, with this as a new numbering title in the series, development went through an overhaul.

Because of this reason, there was the necessity to carefully consider and reconsider the content of the game as a whole to fix it what was wrong. As a result, after going over and re-establishing the scenario of the game, the role of the heroine changed and it was required for Luna to be the new position in the story. Luna is the new heroine.
However, the main plot of FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII was reworked in success and taken over into XV. Even common mythological details of the FNC series like the chosen one by the crystal who must risk their life to fulfill their objective. This crystal also has been carried over and imported into the game as one of the essentials.

So, deep inside FINAL FANTASY XV, some elements from the ages of Versus XIII still remain, there.​

Koozek

Seems like the text from the Hexagods section of the Ultimania was indeed mistranslated. Regarding Ifrit, the person writing the text says that he doesn't know the details of the legend, but it's not Tabata talking. And some japanese fans were indeed insatisfied by this explanation of Ifrit's role in the game, since it basically doesn't say anything. But I repeat, it wasn't Tabata answering to that section.

However, Tabata did comment on what changed in Versus XIII's script once the game turned into XV.
LOL, what a twist. I knew something wasn't right. No way he would not have prepared any comment for an Ultimania, come on. Some posts here sure are funny now in retrospect.

They should be angry tbh, it's kind of shitty when the director seems to not care that much about the game. Makes it seem like the issues we originally thought were due to a lack of time could have been because of general apathy.

sass2.png

SkylineRKR

I think they didn't want to design a 36 year old Cindy, let alone a 40 year old Aranea. But a 25 yr old Iris could do. Talcott of all people is just lol.

Neiteio

PSY・S;227348955 said:
rip in peace

edit: so wtf was that thing about gladio and "big brothers turning a blind eye" or something like that?

c'mon devs
RIP? Are my screenshots down? They appear to still be up.

Went through my games key items.

The messenger book is titled Lover's notebook and it says the last pages are stained with tears.

What's the implication there? Luna crying tears of joy that Noctis is coming for her?

Ydelnae

Went through my games key items.

The messenger book is titled Lover's notebook and it says the last pages are stained with tears.

What's the implication there? Luna crying tears of joy that Noctis is coming for her?

Noctis' tears after he gets the notebook by Umbra the morning after Luna dies.

Koozek

Regarding yesterday's mistranslation, here is a better one from Mognet's @xXShuyaXx:
The 6 Gods, entities who watched over the world through the millennia.
The mythology that completes Eos speaks of six Gods. They are entities that bestowed powers upon Kings and Oracles. The six Gods created a shining ring that was passed down through generations as proof of the King, in turn their connection to the Royal Lucis family is profound.
They use a language unknown to ordinary man and the only beings able to directly communicate with the Gods are limited to beings like Oracles and envoys of the Gods.
In the legend regarding the Scar of Terupa(?)*, the battle of the remaining Gods, the [Great Demon War], it is said that the origin of the war resonated from the God of Flame Ifrits betrayal. However, it is not known in detail.

*Perhaps I missed it in-game. It says テルパの爪跡. Not sure what テルパ(terupa) means. Don't tell me though. I'll figure it out myself.​

This is an explanation in the lore. Not Tabata talking. Someone was trying really hard to stir up a storm.

In regards to the response to this from Japanese fans...
http://joker004.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-16490.html

They are not flaming their pitchforks and flames at Tabata, but rather the half-assed explanation.
Though some are saying that this goes with the lore. Like this happened in the ancient times and the records of the legends were lost over the millennia resulting in missing details. Saying that this makes sense.
However some are also criticizing for the lack of explanation in character motives. Like what betrayal? Why a betrayal? When? How?

Think of it as what you want. But this has nothing to do with Tabata saying ''I didn't know''.​

theofficefan99

I heard this theory before and it makes a lot of sense. It calls to mind Basch/Gabranth from FFXII and gives more weight to Drautos being Glauca (which is totally random as it is right now)

Well don't you guys remember the E3 2013 trailer?

There was a Cor look-alike in the very end when all the CG headshots were being shown.

There's a 99.999999% chance it was Drautos and that the original script had a Basch/Gabranth-esque thing going on.

Neiteio

I seriously love the story in this game. So much so that I'm a bit baffled by how a number of fans seem down on it.

Maybe it's because I keep rewatching cutscenes as I try to get the perfect screenshots. Or maybe it's because I took my time soaking up the NPC banter, the environmental details and optional cutscenes in the latter half of the game. At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the train ride. It felt like an epic journey across the western continent into the heart of darkness, and I didn't see any glaring "seams" where anything was "cut." And apparently, not much was; the leaker said we still got 85% of all that was planned for FFXV, and in the latter half of the game, it seems only a dungeon in Tenebrae was cut as far as explorable content. That chapter, BTW, is such a nice slice of storytelling, with three great cutscenes that really flesh out Luna (her burden and her genuine love for Noct — two scenes in Tenebrae and one in the frozen train), so that the sense of loss is renewed heading into the end-game.

Speaking of which, the only real story addition I'd like to see is more letters from Luna — lengthy letters you'd receive every chapter, from chapters 1-9 (and perhaps another letter or two posthumously), fully voiced by her, and maybe with cutscenes of her reading and writing, where we could see her sharing her thoughts with Noct — her joy, sorrow, anxiety, longing, perhaps even a bit of humor. And maybe we could see Noct doing the same in a reply. You could receive these letters, once per chapter, upon resting for the first time each chapter. Umbra would bring them to you and they'd be in-depth letters, unlike the short-but-sweet text messages you normally get. Those text messages make sense when Noct and Luna are busy traveling, but in-depth letters would be nice to receive at the end of the day. It'd help flesh out their relationship so that by the time Luna dies in Altissia, it really stings.

I think the Altissia death scene works, regardless, especially in retrospect when you rewatch it after seeing the three Luna scenes in Ch. 12 (the two scenes with Ravus, and the scene with Gentiana). But if we had those in-depth letters going into the Altissia death scene, it'd be even more impactful.

Beyond that, I'm pretty satisfied with the story. I could see how people would be disappointed by some characters being flavor details (i.e. the emperor, Verstael, etc), based on how they were marketed. But in the grand scheme of the story, everything that needs to be there pretty much is. And there's so much the story achieves in terms of the hero's growth, the bros, the villain, intriguing lore, etc, that I simply adore. I'll have to collect my thoughts on all this in a proper thread at some point.

Ydelnae

Rewatching Kingsglaive, I like to think that Regis recognized/suspected who Ardyn was (his facial expressions when Ardyn talks about Insomnia and Noctis could be telling) and that's what triggers him to send Noctis away that fast.

I like Regis so much and I was expecting to see more of him in the game.

Is Aranea the "oldest" female party member in the series aside from Edea?

I think no one beats Fang, who is 1621 years old in LR. But if we're not counting "I'm actually ancient" shenanigans, Quina is the oldest female party member in the series. Aranea might be the oldest female human, though.

Neiteio

Rewatching Kingsglaive, I like to think that Regis recognized/suspected who Ardyn was (his facial expressions when Ardyn talks about Insomnia and Noctis could be telling) and that's what triggers him to send Noctis away that fast.

I like Regis so much and I was expecting to see more of him in the game.
Noct was already on his journey at that point, wasn't he? The wedding was to be the olive branch; Luna and Noct would meet in Altissia (technically a sovereign state, although functionally under imperial control) and wed there. Ardyn came to Regis to discuss the particulars of the peace treaty, namely what the empire wanted, which was for Lucis to surrender its territories. But I might be mistaken in the timeline.

Ishida

Banned
Noct was already on his journey at that point, wasn't he? The wedding was to be the olive branch; Luna and Noct would meet in Altissia (technically a sovereign state, although functionally under imperial control) and wed there. Ardyn came to Regis to discuss the particulars of the peace treaty, namely what the empire wanted, which was for Lucis to surrender its territories. But I might be mistaken in the timeline.

Nope. It was Ardyn who presented the idea of the marriage to Regis when he first met him. We can assume that Noctis was still in Insomnia at that point and Regis sent him out afterwards because he could see through Ardyn's plan.

Ydelnae

Nope. When Drautos picks Nyx up in the streets in Noctis' car, he comments that the prince was sent away earlier that day.

Neiteio

Nope. It was Ardyn who presented the idea of the marriage to Regis when he first met him. We can assume that Noctis was still in Insomnia at that point and Regis sent him out afterwards because he could see through Ardyn's plan.
"See through Ardyn's plan" — you mean he could see the empire was planning a bait-and-switch with the peace signing, right? He didn't know Ardyn's -real- plan, which was to help Noctis become the true king so that he could have his revenge later.

Toth

Regarding yesterday's mistranslation, here is a better one from Mognet's @xXShuyaXx:
The 6 Gods, entities who watched over the world through the millennia.
The mythology that completes Eos speaks of six Gods. They are entities that bestowed powers upon Kings and Oracles. The six Gods created a shining ring that was passed down through generations as proof of the King, in turn their connection to the Royal Lucis family is profound.
They use a language unknown to ordinary man and the only beings able to directly communicate with the Gods are limited to beings like Oracles and envoys of the Gods.
In the legend regarding the Scar of Terupa(?)*, the battle of the remaining Gods, the [Great Demon War], it is said that the origin of the war resonated from the God of Flame Ifrits betrayal. However, it is not known in detail.

*Perhaps I missed it in-game. It says テルパの爪跡. Not sure what テルパ(terupa) means. Don't tell me though. I'll figure it out myself.​

This is an explanation in the lore. Not Tabata talking. Someone was trying really hard to stir up a storm.

In regards to the response to this from Japanese fans...
http://joker004.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-16490.html

They are not flaming their pitchforks and flames at Tabata, but rather the half-assed explanation.
Though some are saying that this goes with the lore. Like this happened in the ancient times and the records of the legends were lost over the millennia resulting in missing details. Saying that this makes sense.
However some are also criticizing for the lack of explanation in character motives. Like what betrayal? Why a betrayal? When? How?

Think of it as what you want. But this has nothing to do with Tabata saying ''I didn't know''.​

Well, that is somewhat better an explanation but I believe this is referring to the Disc of Cauthess which was referenced to be the 'battlefield' between the Six. Still, I hope they are saving an explanation for a future DLC. It would be fit in with an DLC exploring the origin of Ardyn where we can learn about his relationship with Ifrit and the true origisn of the Starscourge, which I believe Ardyn was healing when he became corrupted.

Leeness

Top Bottom