• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV World Map

Marow

I hope there are smaller villages on the map, because it looks a bit empty now. Then again, empty can be fun too.

I'm guessing, given Accordo's use of lots of tiny white blocks equaling buildings, the other ares where you see a collective of white blocks are also towns/cities. The ones where you see larger white blocks could be things like fortresses, temples or castles.

Generally, I like the shape of the landmass. It has that FF-vibe to it. I even spot a volcano a stone-throw away from Accordo(could it be FFXV's contribution to the Gurgu/Gulug type setting, and could that be Ifrit's abode in this world?) .

NotLiquid

Size without context doesn't really tell me much, especially for Final Fantasy. The previous trailer made traversal look generally uneventful and boring.

KoopaTheCasual

Okay, I'm with you. Hope down.
Been in this hype cycle since 2006, lol. Just exercising measures to retain my sanity. I know the game will be great, but if I can manage to keep my hype in check, it'll impress me that much more :)

Next information dump, I'll probably go on blackout. And then only come back to play the demo before release.

Size without context doesn't really tell me much, especially for Final Fantasy. The previous trailer made traversal look generally uneventful and boring.

I think that's the genius of couching the story in the "roadtrip" idea -- if you just want to get the next place fast all you have to do is drive the car straight there, no "boring" exploration necessary.

SPAW

Been in this hype cycle since 2006, lol. Just exercising measures to retain my sanity. I know the game will be great, but if I can manage to keep my hype in check, it'll impress me that much more :)

Next information dump, I'll probably go on blackout. And then only come back to play the demo before release.

I don't think I can resist the E32015 trailer, but I will go blackout before release to escape story spoilers.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It seems like an incredibly small landmass if that thing is a city, is all. Like, the size of Essex.

wmlk

It seems like an incredibly small landmass if that thing is a city, is all. Like, the size of Essex.

Final Fantasy cities have always been like this, though.

It's just that the world map itself is at a higher scale, making everything else seem small in comparison. We'll have to wait and see if it's for better or worse.

A lot more details are apparent now.

The place right above the bottom right part in the first image looks like the first area in FFXII. Interesting.

And yet again, another one who doesn't know.

They deactivated events and replaced monsters for the purposes of the video (walking/exploring).

Hedge

I love a good world map. I hope we get to interact with it, and not just it being there for the concept artists.

Getting to fly around on an overworld in Ni No Kuni was pretty great! I've missed that. :D

NiNoKuni2.jpg

KoopaTheCasual

I hope not, it makes the world map look small'ish.
Take into consideration that everything you see in that city render, from the big hall to the rest of the structures in the background would have to all fit on that small strip of land at the top of the round depression.

That means the whole of the "Kingdom" only takes up a little piece of land. If anything, that makes the map seem in-feasibly huge. Even on current gen.

Maybe. It depends on how the map comes together. Like, is it all 1:1 represented for when we move around in the game? Or is it just a general map to give us an idea of what the world looks like?

Hopefully at this point they're only showing us finalized assets.

Size of the map seems pretty reasonable to me.

Peltz

E3 2013 footage takes place here, so yes.

We don't know how much of it, though.

Yea, if you can fully explore the city and it isn't just a couple of hallways, this game is going to be impossibly massive... to the point where the decade-long dev cycle almost is justified.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hopefully at this point they're only showing us finalized assets.

Size of the map seems pretty reasonable to me.
Its not about if its finalized or not yet. Its how that map is actually used. And how open-world the game actually is throughout.

If its all 1:1 to how we'll experience it in-game and completely open, it will be pretty fricking massive obviously.

If its just a general map to show the layout of the world, but each area we go to will be a much smaller or limited slice of that(like, can we explore that ENTIRE city?), then the size of the map is kind of irrelevant.

Yea, if you can fully explore the city and it isn't just a couple of hallways, this game is going to be impossibly massive... to the point where the decade-long dev cycle almost is justified.
It hasn't been a decade, they announced it in 2006 but im pretty sure they didn't start developing it until 2009 at the earliest.
This game was in preproduction for most of that decade.

SPAW

E3 2013 footage takes place here, so yes.

We don't know how much of it, though.

it surreal to think that I was actually impressed by the E3 graphics, but after having seen the latest demonstrations and trailers I must say it looks really unimpressive.

I'm pretty sure it's not the entire city that will be explorable (just take a few moments to see how much stuff is in there, it's really huge). If there are to be 5 cities like this one and everyone of them has that much stuff... This will easily be the biggest game ever created (which probably won't be happening).

It hasn't been a decade, they announced it in 2006 but im pretty sure they didn't start developing it until 2009 at the earliest.

Tabata said to consider development starting in 2012.

Peltz

My apologies. I assumed it was in development since 2006.

muteki

I hope that the full map is a complete globe, and not just a region of the globe. Probably not complete.

It looks like most of the edges could wrap around to one another but the the two landmasses with edges at the end of the map don't really match.

DeSolos

I hope that the full map is a complete globe, and not just a region of the globe. Probably not complete.

It looks like most of the edges could wrap around to one another but the the two landmasses with edges at the end of the map don't really match.

I'm really hoping it's a full globe too. Though since they seemed keen on doing sequels, they may purposefully make it so you can't leave the continent so they can add other landmasses later Elder Scrolls DLC style.

Zaptruder

Banned
Is a world map in the game? Or is that just the clay model that they planned with and then scanned to start the actual map in the game?

Because the tech demo video makes it look like that's what they based the land mass on, and then the land mass is to scale thing that's fleshed out with world fleshing-out tools (vegetation, procedural stuff, etc).

muteki

I'm really hoping it's a full globe too. Though since they seemed keen on doing sequels, they may purposefully make it so you can't leave the continent so they can add other landmasses later Elder Scrolls DLC style.

It being a full globe to me gave the older games an extra sense of "scope" that I liked.

Games that took place in a "region" always seemed "smaller" to me, even if the actual area was the same or bigger.

It's like in GTA where it is quite obvious that you are only in one small piece of the world, even if it wraps around at the edges, but in FF7 for instance its like you can explore THE WHOLE WORLD, it seems bigger.

BumRush

I did a RTTP FFXIII earlier in the week, because my hype DEFINITELY blinded me at release. I won't let that happen again.

Kyoufu

it surreal to think that I was actually impressed by the E3 graphics, but after having seen the latest demonstrations and trailers I must say it looks really unimpressive.

Eh, the mansion segment still looks amazing, but I'm not sure if that's in-game or not.

Slater

Banned
Looks huge, gotta wonder how much an airship would change how you get around the world, definitely make getting over those mountains much easier.

Axass

I remember seeing this months ago. Frankly it doesn't seem as huge as the previous world maps from the series. That's understandable considering we have an open world on our hands, though it doesn't really even feel like an entire world. Seems just one bigass continent is playable, not an entire planet. =/

Didn't we find this out last month?

Not that I'm denying that reposts are good for people who missed it the first time, but just saying.

wmlk

Didn't we find this out last month?

Not that I'm denying that reposts are good for people who missed it the first time, but just saying.

Yeah, we did.

We didn't have anything of nearly this quality. No point bumping a thread that hasn't had updates for about a week.

We couldn't surmise that there would be 11 towns or so from the old one.

Seanspeed

Banned

Tiny globe worlds are weird.

Senoculum

Fuck, it's gorgeous. How many secrets does it hold? Can't wait to find out!

I would pay top dollar to own a to-scale map like that. I love miniature stuff...

Top Bottom