• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV World Map

Six points of interest via speculation:

1. 5 major cities

2. Smaller settlements/towns scattered around the countryside. There even seems to be one that's sort've "twin cities" facing each other from across a canyon.

3. Few loan structures that are considerably large in size. Could be a tower, fortress, or that monolith crystal shard seen in the trailer.

4. Could this "C" shaped island be FFXV's take on Crescent Island, thus inducting it into the same club with Crescent-shaped areas(FFI's Crescent Lake, FFV's Crescent Island).

5. Could this be Lucis or someplace different entirely. Whatever it is, it's massive, and seems to be(from the part broken and falling into the ocean), ruined/in disrepair. Or, given the walls surrounding it, could this be the stronghold of Niflheim?

6. Final Fantasy volcano area(gotta have one of those). Likely home to lots of fire elemental monsters like Bombs, Red Dragons, and Ifrit.
I'm hoping 5 is the major city's Lucis. But it could be a desert area?

ConceptX

What do you mean "classic"?

This isn't a world map where you walk to your destination, like in Final Fantasy IX and the games before it.

Source? Or your speculation?

As far as I remember, nothing is confirmed about how we will transverse the world other than road, and being able to walk everywhere in an area upto the mountain edges and within caves in said mountains, we don't know if we can manually fly over those, or if there is loading screens, or if there is fast travel and so on.

What do you mean "classic"?

This isn't a world map where you walk to your destination, like in Final Fantasy IX and the games before it.

I think it's more like a world map like Dragon Quest VIII, a world map scaled enough to give you the feel that the world, and as you walk around from destination to destination, it DOES feel like you are covering large amounts of ground in a semi-realistic fashion.

True, it's not represented in the fashion of the old world maps(small icon running around oddly scaled map and running into random battles), but it still seems to be a world map nonetheless.

I'm hoping 5 is the major city's Lucis. But it could be a desert area?

It's really strange because it's lacking the white buildings of the other cities(even Accordo has the little white buildings). It COULD be a desert, or some "forbidden zone" that the world walled up out of fear for what lurks inside. Hell, if that was the case, that would certainly be an interesting concept applied to what we already know of the game(which is still based on the scarce info we've gotten so far). It IS possible, though. No FF game has turned out exactly how their early plot details would lead you to believe them to be. There's ALWAYS mysterious concepts introduced later in the game that lead the story down a direction far from the initial speculated belief.

That's why I don't think FFXV is JUST going to be about the kingdoms fighting over the crystals. There's going to be more to the world than just that, and more to the characters motives that call in outside forces within this world and make use of it's mythos(both FNC and the world's own mythos). I think the roadtrip way of progression will show that(basically open up the world's mysteries to Noctis, his friends and the players).

1. 5 major cities

2. Smaller settlements/towns scattered around the countryside. There even seems to be one that's sort've "twin cities" facing each other from across a canyon.

3. Few loan structures that are considerably large in size. Could be a tower, fortress, or that monolith crystal shard seen in the trailer.

4. Could this "C" shaped island be FFXV's take on Crescent Island, thus inducting it into the same club with Crescent-shaped areas(FFI's Crescent Lake, FFV's Crescent Island).

5. Could this be Lucis or someplace different entirely. Whatever it is, it's massive, and seems to be(from the part broken and falling into the ocean), ruined/in disrepair. Or, given the walls surrounding it, could this be the stronghold of Niflheim?

6. Final Fantasy volcano area(gotta have one of those). Likely home to lots of fire elemental monsters like Bombs, Red Dragons, and Ifrit.

Nomura even confirmed in the past, that there will be 5 Kingdoms in this Game (Lucis, Accordo, Tenebrae, Nilfheim and Solheim)

So Number 1 should be right

He also said, that there will be several villages/small towns in this game next to the Kingdoms - So Nr.2 also plausible

DJIzana

Nomura even confirmed in the past, that there will be 5 Kingdoms in this Game (Lucis, Accordo, Tenebrae, Nilfheim and Solheim)

So Number 1 should be right

He also said, that there will be several villages/small towns in this game next to the Kingdoms - So Nr.2 also plausible

Guessing you didn't see this... ..
."so we want to make it clear that it's not going to be the exact same game that was first advertised"
Tabata http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-11/13/final-fantasy-interview

Anything can change.

3DShovel

Is the bit in the paler blue bay this city?

2609312-7738458881-XV_Ki.png

Good lord that looks good. Wow.

sappyday

1. 5 major cities

Good work. Also I do think that 5 is Lucis. I remember reading that Lucis is supposed to separated from the rest of the world (I know things could have changed). I think that Lucis having walls make more sense since that area is the only modern place in the game (that we know so far) so the team could of decided to use walls to separate the two art styles. Also I think the area surrounding it is Duscae.

Accordo is really big.

Also the other major cities are supposed to represent other type of regions. I think Nifilhiem is supposed to be the snow town. Solheim is the desert town. I'm not sure about Tenebrea. However, Accordo and Lucis are the most notable.

Something about how the map is laid out on those tiles makes me think that isn't the full world. I can picture those tiles moving and new pieces sliding into place to expand the map sideways.

sappyday

I really want to see them just show Noctis walking around Lucis or Accordo, however, I think any footage we get in the upcoming months will be only related to the demo.

Eh, the mansion segment still looks amazing, but I'm not sure if that's in-game or not.

That looks about as impressive as any regular cinematic set-piece moment, similar to something from Uncharted/Gears/etc.

Even if that footage was target render, it wasn't anything outstanding from a visual and gameplay perspective.

Even if that footage was target render, it wasn't anything outstanding from a visual and gameplay perspective.

I believe it was Kagari that said that they were still using the PS3 Noctis model for that trailer. If you snap some closeup images of him from that it's obviously how much more detailed the current model is.

Famassu

Looks as dead as the ff8 world map. But I'm sure it'll have more colors in-game.
The game won't have a traversable miniature world map like FFVIII. This seems to mostly be a physical miniature world map made to help them plan & visualize the playable area in FFXV

Dark_castle

It's not one giant globe on that map; i's not even a whole continent. And in the final game, I feel that it's highly unlikely that if you keep going west you'd come back from the east.

If that was indeed the world map on OP, pretty sure that's the case. After all, this game has always been designed in the sense of old school FF world map but in 3D. It's speculated to feature a world design similar to that of Dragon Quest VIII, which is basically old school FF/DQ world map but in 3D.

Kieli

The scope of this game is ridiculous.

They'll need mega-sales to recoup costs. Hopefully it's good and succeeds because I need more of these ambitious types of RPGs.

Kyoufu

That looks about as impressive as any regular cinematic set-piece moment, similar to something from Uncharted/Gears/etc.

Did we watch the same trailer? That section blew my mind, with the water thing (Leviathan?) tearing up the place and the teleports from Noctis. Oh man.

NotLiquid

Like others have said, they removed most of what's in the map to showcase how large it it (by having the party walk around the area). The parts which were shown in the trailer is only a part of the Duscae region, which in itself is less than 1/10 of the whole world. We haven't seen enough of the game to say that the traversal or the world is boring and plain.

I never said it is - I said it looks, at least going by the trailer. Saying that it'll have a lot of stuff to do is one thing but considering Final Fantasy games haven't exactly inspired much confidence as far as progression goes lately (especially with the XIII games) it doesn't fill me with too much hope. Of course the game will have stuff to it beyond driving, but considering the game itself looks pretty boring to me now I'd like to be able to see more of it in order to believe it's supposed depth and that it isn't just big for the sake of being big.

SPAW

Did we watch the same trailer? That section blew my mind, with the water thing (Leviathan?) tearing up the place and the teleports from Noctis. Oh man.

the trailer was indeed awesome, but in hindsight the placeholder graphics was not particularly awesome ;)

Bazztek

Banned
A few billboards they drive past have the words "BANORA WHITE" written on them.

N51DZmx.jpg

The "O" is a bit faded and looks like a "U", but so is the "O" on "SHOP"

Banora is the name of a town in Crisis Core, and "Banora Whites" is another name for "dumbapples" in Crisis Core, a type of apple.

Banora apple trees are also arched.

WcAa6W5.png

I think the Banora name on the signs might be a nod to the arches seen throughout this part of Duscae.
KI0fPCS.jpg

I saw it being no different from some of the moments in GoW3/Ascension. Amazingly, crafted set-piece moments.

If I close my eyes and reimagine Balamb Garden vs Galbadia Garden War or the Siege of Dollet on FFVIII on current-gen, I'd imagine that would be how they'd recreate said moments too.

Famassu

The scope of this game is ridiculous.

They'll need mega-sales to recoup costs. Hopefully it's good and succeeds because I need more of these ambitious types of RPGs.
No, they probably don't. The initial planning & early development stuff with only some key people took ages (and these people like Nomura weren't unproductive during those years, having released a lot of more or less successful projects, so it's not like all of the people involved have just twiddled their thumbs and taken pay for 8 years) while all the Crystal Tools, FFXIII & FFXIV shit was going on, then development on PS3 started with a really small team only around 2010 and even now the team size is only somewhere around 200-300, so they have a somewhat more reasonably sized team than a lot of other AAA(A) games nowadays, certainly not the kind of 10000000 man/woman teams Ubisoft, Rockstar etc. have had in recent years.

FFXV hasn't been in active development by some huge team for 8 years, so while it's of course an expensive project, I doubt it's even near games like GTAV. Of course it needs to sell in the millions, but they'd probably be perfectly happy with sales like past mainline FFs.

OmegaDL50

Does anyone remember this?

2ycwEhD.jpg

It's just showing the perspective of how large the lake surrounding Accordo is per the circular indentation of the waterfall as shown on the world map in comparison to the closer render I've seen.

SPAW

N51DZmx.jpg

Banora is the name of a town in Crisis Core, and "Banora Whites" is another name for "dumbapples" in Crisis Core, a type of apple.

WcAa6W5.png

I think the Banora name on the signs might be a nod to the arches seen throughout this part of Duscae.
KI0fPCS.jpg

As always, your posts are some of the most interesting on FFXV.

Martian

I have a stupid question, so forgive me for asking but: Why is final fantasy modern sinces (4/5)?

I have only played 1 and 2 on the gameboy advance, and got gifted FF VII (?) on ps2 and it was a modern setting (which was kind of a bummer).

Is there a reasoning for this?

OmegaDL50

I have a stupid question, so forgive me for asking but: Why is final fantasy modern sinces (4/5)?

I have only played 1 and 2 on the gameboy advance, and got gifted FF VII (?) on ps2 and it was a modern setting (which was kind of a bummer).

All of the FF games have different settings. Be it steampunk, to futuristic, and even modern. One of the common trends with the series is that each game has a different world and setting from the last game.

None of the games are connected by the same world, characters, or plot. Outside the title each game it pretty much it's own self contained adventure, with some common elements shared between the games such as monsters and creatures, spell names, and other iconic staples that are the only things that are retained from title to title.

4 and 5 aren't modern, they are similar setting to FF1, 2, and 3. FF6 and 7 are Steampunk, FF8 is modern like FF15, FF9 is like FF1 through 5 again, FF10 is a more exotic fantasy setting, FF11 is Medieval like 1 through 5, 12 has hybrid medieval / steampunk aspects, 13 is Futuristic mostly, and 14 is not unlike FF11.

VI kinda started the modern setting, VII started being pretty modern

But then you have IX and X which are not modern, XII which is kinda weird, XIII which is futuristic. So it's not a set thing for the series.

The reasoning for it to become like this? I don't know, maybe they wanted to try something different after Sakaguchi (series creator) stopped being the director, and since it worked wonders with FFVII, it became one of the settings the series uses.

Martian

All of the FF games have different settings. Be it steampunk, to futuristic, and even modern. One of the common trends with the series is that each game has a different world and setting from the last game.

None of the games are connected by the same world, characters, or plot. Outside the title each game it pretty much it's own self contained adventure, with some common elements shared between the games such as monsters and creatures, spell names, and other iconic staples that are the only things that are retained from title to title.

4 and 5 aren't modern, they are similar setting to FF1, 2, and 3. FF6 and 7 are Steampunk, FF8 is modern like FF15, FF9 is like FF1 through 5 again, FF10 is a more exotic fantasy setting, FF11 is Medieval like 1 through 5, 12 has hybrid medieval / steampunk aspects, 13 is Futuristic mostly, and 14 is not unlike FF11.

VI kinda started the modern setting, VII started being pretty modern

But then you have IX and X which are not modern, XII which is kinda weird, XIII which is futuristic. So it's not a set thing for the series.

The reasoning for it to become like this? I don't know, maybe they wanted to try something different after Sakaguchi (series creator) stopped being the director, and since it worked wonders with FFVII, it became one of the settings the series uses.

Thanks! I might check into 11 and 14!

Shogun1337

No, they probably don't. The initial planning & early development stuff with only some key people took ages (and these people like Nomura weren't unproductive during those years, having released a lot of more or less successful projects, so it's not like all of the people involved have just twiddled their thumbs and taken pay for 8 years) while all the Crystal Tools, FFXIII & FFXIV shit was going on, then development on PS3 started with a really small team only around 2010 and even now the team size is only somewhere around 200-300, so they have a somewhat more reasonably sized team than a lot of other AAA(A) games nowadays, certainly not the kind of 10000000 man/woman teams Ubisoft, Rockstar etc. have had in recent years.

FFXV hasn't been in active development by some huge team for 8 years, so while it's of course an expensive project, I doubt it's even near games like GTAV. Of course it needs to sell in the millions, but they'd probably be perfectly happy with sales like past mainline FFs.

Do you ever take a break from this?

Go_Ly_Dow

N51DZmx.jpg

WcAa6W5.png

KI0fPCS.jpg

Crisis Core will alway be Tabata's OG baby.

Top Bottom