• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV World Map

RangerBAD

I see six or so town/cities. There are some other white markers, but I don't know if those are towns. Maybe they are gas stations or small structures. That big structure that looks like a stone square could be a dungeon or something.

Yeah, we did.

We didn't have anything of nearly this quality. No point bumping a thread that hasn't had updates for about a week.

We couldn't surmise that there would be 11 towns or so from the old one.

Fair enough, I didn't notice that. Sounds very promising indeed :) This game is going to be huge.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Size without context doesn't really tell me much, especially for Final Fantasy. The previous trailer made traversal look generally uneventful and boring.

Like others have said, they removed most of what's in the map to showcase how large it it (by having the party walk around the area). The parts which were shown in the trailer is only a part of the Duscae region, which in itself is less than 1/10 of the whole world. We haven't seen enough of the game to say that the traversal or the world is boring and plain.

lol the entire world isn't 'brown'...it's just a basic topographic map.

1MHBySB.jpg

The USA has no vegetation! :D

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT DESERT! Puts the Sahara to shame I tell you. How do you guys find water over there?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
A lot of people are praying for this game to be good :)

FF6 and FF7 were revolutionary. FF8 and 9 were very good, 10 was revolutionary, 12 not so much, 13 was a letdown and now 15 is more likely to be revolutionary than not, statistically speaking.

The question is : What happens if the game plays as good as it looks?

An obvious one is that Square will make money, but what about the impact to the japanese game industry? Substantial or negligible?

What do you mean one giant globe? The world map we see here is basically one giant globe with regions seamlessly connected together (kinda like the old Final Fantasy) rather than by transitions via separate loading screens.

I mean like FF7. So that square is a 2d representation of what it will be ingame, which is a 3D globe world?

KoopaTheCasual

Since the world on foot/car will likely be zones, I think a way to make airship travel work is to have the "airship world" completely connected, but have transitions between disembarking. That way, the world map can render scaled down assets, while you're flying overhead, while still making it seem like the world is one connected entity.

That's my reasonable "best-case scenario" anyway.

Hedge

12 not so much

Wasn't FF12 the first Final Fantasy to recieve a 40 score from Famitsu? And given the crazy install base, didn't it sell almost 1,5 mil in the first week in Japan? Then why is 12 "not so much" when you're talking about sales and impact?

Dark_castle

I mean like FF7. So that square is a 2d representation of what it will be ingame, which is a 3D globe world?

Hard to explain. Imagine FFVII world map, but rather than a top-down perspective, the world is presented in a 1:1 scale, third person view.

Basically yeah, this map shows how all the locales are connected with relation to one another. The difference between old FFs and FFXV's world is that in say FFVII, your character is a giant on the world, shrinking when going into town area or dungeon (with loading screen transition), whereas in FFXV, your character size remains constant while going between towns, fields and dungeon areas, with seamless transition.

Since the world on foot/car will likely be zones, I think a way to make airship travel work is to have the "airship world" completely connected, but have transitions between disembarking. That way, the world map can render scaled down assets, while you're flying overhead, while still making it seem like the world is one connected entity.

That's my reasonable "best-case scenario" anyway.

That's what they did in Type-0, works amazingly well.

That being said, we don't actually know if it will be divided into zones yet.

OmegaDL50

Hard to explain. Imagine FFVII world map, but rather than a top-down perspective, the world is presented in a 1:1 scale, third person view.

Basically yeah, this map shows how all the locales are connected with relation to one another. The difference between old FFs and FFXV's world is that in say FFVII, your character is a giant on the world, shrinking when going into town area or dungeon (with loading screen transition), whereas in FFXV, your character size remains constant while going between towns, fields and dungeon areas, with seamless transition.

So like Dragon Quest VIII, which had a very large world map with towns that scaled with the player even when you were outside of them.

Dark_castle

So like Dragon Quest VIII, which had a very large world map with towns that scaled with the player even when you were outside of them.

Most likely, yeah.

I fear that controllable airship is gone though. Maybe we could seize control of enemy airship for brief period of time like we seen in E3 2013.

jschreier

What makes you think this is the full world map as opposed to, say, a look at the topography of this one specific Duscae region?

Vena

Do we have any idea how bodies of water or mountains will work for this? Can the characters actually climb/swim or are they going to be pretty barriers?

What makes you think this is the full world map as opposed to, say, a look at the topography of this one specific Ducae region?
I think people are assuming it's the world map because in the image you have mountains, some sort of canyons, islands, a volcano, and a place that is clearly missing stuff (which is assumed to be the cities), and some weird formations as well.

How am I going to drive to that island? Road trip ruined.

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

wmlk

What makes you think this is the full world map as opposed to, say, a look at the topography of this one specific Duscae region?
It's way, way too massive to be just Duscae.

We can see the area from the 10 minute footage here. You spread out a little, and it really is 10% of the total landmass.

I'll eat a hat if I'm wrong since I jumped the gun, but I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Six points of interest via speculation:

1. 5 major cities

2. Smaller settlements/towns scattered around the countryside. There even seems to be one that's sort've "twin cities" facing each other from across a canyon.

3. Few loan structures that are considerably large in size. Could be a tower, fortress, or that monolith crystal shard seen in the trailer.

4. Could this "C" shaped island be FFXV's take on Crescent Island, thus inducting it into the same club with Crescent-shaped areas(FFI's Crescent Lake, FFV's Crescent Island).

5. Could this be Lucis or someplace different entirely. Whatever it is, it's massive, and seems to be(from the part broken and falling into the ocean), ruined/in disrepair. Or, given the walls surrounding it, could this be the stronghold of Niflheim?

6. Final Fantasy volcano area(gotta have one of those). Likely home to lots of fire elemental monsters like Bombs, Red Dragons, and Ifrit.

injurai

Banned
Can't wait to set my feet down on the world in "201X".

It's like launching a satellite and having to wait a decade for it to arrive on an asteroid. Square Enix claims they have release date but it would be all too depressing to know just how long the wait still is.

BumRush

Six points of interest via speculation:

1. 5 major cities

2. Smaller settlements/towns scattered around the countryside. There even seems to be one that's sort've "twin cities" facing each other from across a canyon.

3. Few loan structures that are considerably large in size. Could be a tower, fortress, or that monolith crystal shard seen in the trailer.

4. Could this "C" shaped island be FFXV's take on Crescent Island, thus inducting it into the same club with Crescent-shaped areas(FFI's Crescent Lake, FFV's Crescent Island).

5. Could this be Lucis or someplace different entirely. Whatever it is, it's massive, and seems to be(from the part broken and falling into the ocean), ruined/in disrepair. Or, given the walls surrounding it, could this be the stronghold of Niflheim?

6. Final Fantasy volcano area(gotta have one of those). Likely home to lots of fire elemental monsters like Bombs, Red Dragons, and Ifrit.

I've been waiting for something like this. Looks like a great start, although 3. is probably the adamantoise from the trailer :)

Philippo

We need a version with vegetation and colors asap.
Because then the snowy/desert area will most surely be Niflheim/Solheim.

What do you mean one giant globe? The world map we see here is basically one giant globe with regions seamlessly connected together (kinda like the old Final Fantasy) rather than by transitions via separate loading screens.
It's not one giant globe on that map; i's not even a whole continent. And in the final game, I feel that it's highly unlikely that if you keep going west you'd come back from the east.

Top Bottom