• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
@jasonosia
BLADE RUNNER 2049: The thrill of mood and extensional joys of self-reflection. Villeneuve's slow-burn obsessions have never felt more SEEN.

guzDMTA.gif

This sounds exciting. From most of Villeneuve's movies I've seen, Denis does a great job of doing slow-burn/building and holding the tension throughout the movies, which fits perfectly well to Blade Runner.
I'm going to re-watch the movie this weekend, I haven't seen the movie in years nor the final cut version.

Boem

Man I want to believe. I like Villeneuve, love Blade Runner, but I was sure that's just one of those classics that you can't really touch anymore without it feeling like a lesser retreat (my biggest fear) or something completely unrelated, losing the essence of what made the original work (which could still result in a good movie mind you). The prequel shorts really didn't work for me (I know it's not Villeneuve) because they did feel more like imitation rather than natural continuation to me - both in presentation and the story they suggest.

But hell, if I'm going to be wrong about my expectations for any upcoming movie, I'll be very happy if it's going to be this one. We'll see, I'll be keeping an open mind.

I need to rewatch the first before I see this. I saw it ages ago and barely remember any of it. Is the Final Cut the one to see?

Mr. Hyde

The way he builds every set instead of relying solely on green screen tells me he understands the material. He's a rare type of director whose work never fails to impress me. He's extremely dedicated and I hear wonderful to work under. I'm so excited for this film.

Kibbles

The Even Leto! comment is bullshit, just because he had a bleh superhero movie role doesn't mean you can discredit his past as an excellent actor.

Glad to hear about the movie though, can't wait to see it

Boem

I need to rewatch the first before I see this. I saw it ages ago and barely remember any of it. Is the Final Cut the one to see?

There are going to be a thousand opinions on this one, but yeah, probably. I don't agree with 1 or 2 choices because I actually disagree with Ridley on the meaning of his own movie (yeah yeah, I know), but I do think it's safe to say it's the version that works the best.

You can always read about the differences between versions later if you're into that stuff. But Final Cut is the generally recommended version these days.

Courage

A good critic doesn't have to align with my taste in movies though. These youtube critics are usually bad.

You're right, but the critics I read mostly have some overlap with my tastes.

Like, I don't know if I can take a guy that so confidently proclaims it's better than the original Blade Runner so seriously.

Adry9

Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good...

hydruxo

Like, I don't know if I can take a guy that so confidently proclaims it's better than the original Blade Runner so seriously.

I mean maybe he just didn't like the original as much as this one. Doesn't mean his opinion is the gospel.

Slixshot

Banned
Looks like I need to watch the original now. Any recommendations as to what version? Anything I should note that doesn't age well so I can be prepared?

wazoo

I'm curious too. These "first impressions" are usually extremely hyperbolic and not a great indication of how good the film actually is.

I really want this movie to be great (and it sounds like it is), but keeping my expectations in check.

I want to believe the movie is great and I like Villeneuve a lot.

BUT, this looks like any first hand preview of any blockbusters "best movie ever" of the week.

I mean, I said months ago that I thought that Villeneuve could potentially beat the original with 2049 and people called me crazy then.

I do love the original film and I don't think 2049 will ever be as utterly groundbreaking a film as the first, but the first film does have its weak points. One thing everyone involved has been talking about with 2049 is the story- if Villeneuve nailed the story, I could absolutely see there being a serious argument to make that maybe 2049 might be a better film in and of itself than the first.

I'm very eager to see how it all plays out and what I'll personally think of the film when I see it next week.

Courage

I mean maybe he just didn't like the original as much as this one. Doesn't mean his opinion is the gospel.
I didn't imply his opinion should be treated as gospel. He is, however, one of the few people who have seen the film so many of us are trying to gauge these impressions.

Tylercrat

Banned
This is dumb. Star Wars isn't going for the same thing as Blade Runner, not even remotely. Nor do I even understand what the "live-action Lego movie" dig is supposed to tell me... Because The Lego Movie is a fucking masterpiece.

It means it is a movie about toys and specifically trying to appeal to children. Nothing wrong with that. I am glad they are making more adult sci-fi as well.

Top Bottom