• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
#BladeRunner2049 is real sci-fi filmmaking. It makes the new Star Wars films look like live action LEGO movies.

Someone should tell this guy that Star Wars isn't sci-fi.

I know early impressions tend to be positive but I'm super hyped now. Big fan of Villeneuve and I knew he was the best chance of this turning out well. Perfect pick.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I only watched the original a few months back. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I really 'got' it, at least not the way everyone else seems to. This one wasn't on my radar but it's hard to ignore impressions like this, will pick up the 4K Blu-ray.

I've kept my expectations in check until now but the OP I just read has made it impossible to continue doing so.

All aboard the hype train.

Oh thank God Denis Villeneuve, so glad this turned out well. I had my hesitations from the trailers taking a bit more of an action-focused Hollywood approach, but I'm very glad that's more of the marketing than anything else. I should've expected nothing less from the man behind Arrival.

Simo

Hyyyyyype.

Tickets bought for EMAX and Atmos for the first showing Thursday October 5th at 7pm!

ohshit I forgot the third 2049 short got uploaded today on Crunchyroll.

Jedi2016

Have to say I did not expect that... the trailers did absolutely nothing for me, but this might be worth seeing after all.

DieH@rd

Banned
s3L4bk9.gif

There couldn't be anything close to Hauer's tears in the rain performance and what it meant to that character arc. I'm glad the new one is a movie worth checking out, but it's not possible to approach the meaningfulness of the original on a number of levels.

I'm inclined to agree that I do not expect anything on this magnitude, however I don't think it's fair to say it's literally not possible. Great filmmaking is not a lost art, contrary to what certain nerds will tell you.

Z3M0G

Nearly 3 hours?

- hard scifi
- noir
- that long

The mainstream audience is going to hate this movie... but critics are going to gush over it.

98% critics
18% audience

Hopefully this translates to good box office.

It won't. I'm just thinking of my buddy who I see most movies with, he would hate this film.

Not that I don't trust Villeneuve but who's impressions are these? Fans or film writers?

There couldn't be anything close to Hauer's tears in the rain performance and what it meant to that character arc. I'm glad the new one is a movie worth checking out, but it's not possible to approach the meaningfulness of the original on a number of levels.
This is complete nonsense to be quite honest. I don't think there will be but to categorically state what you have is nonsense.

Fisty

Still hesitant, but these impressions sound good. Leto was really off-putting in one of the shorts I watched, and Grampa Solo is a strange decision to put in the movie

wazoo

I prefer Director's Cut since I wasn't a fan of the color regrade in the Final Cut, along with some other minor changes, but either one is fine.

Any version without the voiceover is fine.

Of course, it has been released in UHD this week (with an older master for the BR included I read ...).

Blade Runner has always been a mess for retail.

jelly

I don't put much trust in these early impressions of films but it's not like he has made a bad film yet so it should likely be good at least.

Socreges

Banned
Holy shit

So I saw It in theatres with my gf on Friday. She wasn't impressed with the Blade Runner trailer. I told her she's crazy, that it will be a masterpiece. Then I quietly thought to myself 'Why'd I say masterpiece? That was ambitious'

Redeemed!

So hyped

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I already have tickets to three screenings, might have to get a few more. We'll see!

Also curious about the music, but I like Zimmer's stuff, so I'm not too worried.

Wasn't so spotty you couldn't post twice instead of just reading, tho.

Haven't seen any. Expecting Water Tower to put samples up soon though.
This site works on my connection. Twitter doesn't. Train wifi with some dumb ass restrictions. Like damn I just asked a question about names I mostly don't recognise.

snap

Banned
avoid none of them. Even in its least-good form, it's still a sci-fi classic.

(Workprint is best cut tho)

feel like i digress with most people

i like the theatrical cut even if i have to deal with the bad monologue and the happy ending because i tried watching the final cut once and felt it was just too long. there's also a few scenes early on where exposition is repeated in kinda a drawn out way (iirc when decker is assigned to the case and later when he's in a cab going to tyrell corporation) seemingly because they expected to cut down one of the scenes or maybe because of reshoots, idk.

Top Bottom