• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Is there any reason why they couldn't ship the console with the complete OS? I mean, really?

yes it wasn't done on time and they needed to make launch? thus, you patch it. Imagine if nintendo delayed it past this launch into next year? 3rd parties, investors etc... would have shit a brick

def sim

Probably are installing a lot of behind the scenes OS functions

Right.

It's weird that they waited until release rather than having it in there from the get go. A major release should not be getting an update this significant. Many people are going to be hammering their network.

Mindlog

Is there any reason why they couldn't ship the console with the complete OS? I mean, really?
This hardware release had to be a pre-Black Friday rush priority. A multi-GB release day update is just asking for trouble.
I have no idea how the servers are going to stay up if demand is there.

Anyway, I'm fucking pissed off.

5gb? On my connection, thatd take at least 14 hours. Looks like I will be playing offline until the the end of the first day, and then just leave it downloading overnight.

What the fuck, Nintendo. You are fucking this up badly.

Take that shit to someone's house or something. You don't need a tv, just a power source. I would do it.

RedSwirl

Said this in the last thread, but Nintendo needs to get with the program and release the update additionally on their website as a second option.

Gravijah

one wii u patch will take longer than every ps3 firmware update combined

alright, probably not because booooooy are ps3 speeds slow.

JoeFu

Banned
Rich from IGN said on twitter that he had the same amount of HD space after the update as his did prior so the data more than likely delete itself afterward. I guess this explains why the update took so long though lol
Quoting this because people are probably going to ignore it

Rich!

Take that shit to someone's house or something. You don't need a tv, just a power source. I would do it.

No one I know has decent internet, unfortunately. My parents house is prone to frequent drop-outs so like hell am I going to attempt it there. I would be there all month.

Ponn

Banned
Seriously, what the hell is it installing, thats a metric shit ton of bloatware. Is PS Home even that big?

Hey if you get to keep your space then that's good. But the idea of a 5GB update on LAUNCH day is still beyond ridiculous. Shit is going to be hammered.

Sandfox

Amazingly, not until after you install this firmware update.

Nintendo reaaaaaaaaaally should have pushed this to be on the game discs for the launch.

Well its not like you can download anything until you update the firmware so its pretty much impossible to not have the space to do so.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
This really can't be 5gb right? I mean come on...like 500mb? maybe? but 5gb? no...I still can't believe it.

syko de4d

Best Xmas gift ever:

Parents: Hey Son why you not test your new Console now.

*Son plug in the new Console*

Son: What is that?

Parents: Looks like an update, will not take long my Son

Son: Okay.

*2 hours later*

Parents: U need to go to bed. Sorry, but you can play tomorrow. It will download the rest over the night

*blackout at xmas Night*

Son: My console is broken *cry*

Rootbeer

Banned
5GB update. Gotta spend all morning installing that tomorrow and still have to put up with 30sec loading times every time you open a new app, awesome!

FWIW, still gonna love my Deluxe Wii U no matter how slow it is T__T

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
How do they know the size? A friend was watching the stream of the guy who downloaded it, he said it was averaging 300K/sec for an hour and five minutes. Which works out to around 1.15GB. A 5GB update being downloaded in that amount of time woulda had him downloading it at like a meg a second, and the guy had graphs and shit showing his up/down speed while he was doing it. And they did not show a meg a second.

So uh

Top Bottom