• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The crazy part about this is that I am sure that there are a significant amount of people who will be purchasing a Wii U who don't have Wi-fi. I wonder what the solution will be for these folks?

Play games and carry on. You don't have to do the update to play games.

When I was checking in on the stream, he did a speedtest and it come out to 35 mbps in speed.

1 GB shouldn't take an hour on a 35 mbps connection.

Heck, I have a 20 mbps connection and it takes no where near that long.

Doing a speedtest has absolutely ZERO to do with his average download speed on a particular download.

elongation

Neo Member
I want to defend Nintendo but honestly, there's no defense of a 5 gig update. Ever.

If it is closer to 1 gig.. less bad, but still stupid as hell.

jonno394

When I was checking in on the stream, he did a speedtest and it come out to 35 mbps in speed.

Its all dependent on users downloading and quality of Nintendo servers.....the latter i dont have faith in.

JoeFu

Banned

No he had his data activity showing ... I don't know else to say this. His speed test meant nothing. The thing showed peaks of 300 something kbps when not doing the speed test.

Terrell

Best Xmas gift ever:

Parents: Hey Son why you not test your new Console now.

*Son plug in the new Console*

Son: What is that?

Parents: Looks like an update, will not take long my Son

Son: Okay.

*2 hours later*

Parents: U need to go to bed. Sorry, but you can play tomorrow. It will download the rest over the night

*blackout at xmas Night*

Son: My console is broken *cry*

It only prompts you for an update if you try to use a feature that requires it. So the scenario is flawed, given that the FIRST thing that the son is going to want to do is PLAY A FUCKING GAME.

Yes, folks, for those who forgot, this update does not prevent you whatsoever from doing the primary function you bought it for.

The overexaggeration of most of this astounds me. That's not to say that 5GB isn't a big deal, but let's be honest here: given the options of having lots of stock for launch, having minimal stock because they waited to pre-install this update, or having a less rigorously tested online experience, which would you have preferred?

The streamer had a 35 mpbs connection.

1 GB taking 1 hour on a 35 mbps connection doesn't make sense.

5 GB taking 1 hour on a 35 mbps connection does though.

::shoulder shrug::

Not once did the update even go remotely near 35mbps. The max was about 500kB/s and that didn't happen very often.

It only prompts you for an update if you try to use a feature that requires it. So the scenario is flawed, given that the FIRST thing that the son is going to want to do is PLAY A FUCKING GAME.

Yes, folks, for those who forgot, this update does not prevent you whatsoever from doing the primary function you bought it for.

The overexaggeration of most of this astounds me. That's not to say that 5GB isn't a big deal, but let's be honest here: given the options of having lots of stock for launch, having minimal stock because they waited to pre-install this update, or having a less rigorously tested online experience, which would you have preferred?

I don't think this is right. It prompts you for ADDITIONAL updates after the first big one. That's what I saw in the stream.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's probably replacing files as it downloads

Which is probably the reason the console bricks if you interrupt it

LOL
Oh man, your probably right. It didn't make any sense to me why the Wii U would brick if its interrupted while downloading.

XxCGSxX

Not only is it 5gb but Im also stuck getting server errors left and right. Error codes 108-0144 So far trying to restart the update Its downloaded like 5% of it :(

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I have a feeling tomorrow (today?) is going to be a fucking disaster. So many people downloading this shit at once.

I think I'll wait, honestly. It's obviously not needed.

I think its a real concern.

Also, whether its 1gb or 5gb, its pretty crazy - I don't recall any patch for a day 1 hardware anything like this. Shit, a 1gb patch on the ps3 would have taken a week...

Erethian

This really can't be 5gb right? I mean come on...like 500mb? maybe? but 5gb? no...I still can't believe it.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's making an assumption based on something Iwata said during a recent Nintendo Direct about available space on the internal storage.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Maybe someone throw the actual estimated size based on the guy who downloaded it in the OP/title or something, considering it's based on actual analysis and data, not Keighley hearsay?

Glad to hear it doesn't chew up additional space. Bad that it's that big a download!

I hope it's just adding all the shit that was missing, and future system updates will be far more efficient. If every system update replaces the current OS then Nintendo should be smacked with a shovel.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Ugh. I have horrendously slow Internet. 5 Gigs could take me upwards of 6 hours. I want to play my Wii U with all the features on launch day dammit! Gonna have to go to a friend's house to download this crap.

Van Owen

Banned

I would have preferred they prioritized better.

Bgamer90

Banned
No he had his data activity showing ... I don't know else to say this. His speed test meant nothing. The thing showed peaks of 300 something kbps when not doing the speed test.

Not once did the update even go remotely near 35mbps. The max was about 500kB/s and that didn't happen very often.

Again, I just saw it when he did the speedtest... I didn't look at that. Was busy watching football.

I'm just saying that on his speed, a 5 GB taking an hour would make more sense than 1 GB.

Either way, Nintendo really messed this up.

That's not how internet works. Just because you're able to hit a certain speed doesn't mean the servers you are connecting to will allow you to download at that speed. If that were the case, my steam downloads would get done a lot faster.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
No wonder some are plugging out there WiiU's. They might go over there bandwidth limit just for a firmware.

Winning post.

Take your Wii-U on campus and start mooching off the Uni's bandwith.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo is sooooo going to get backlash for this

They will be forced to include the OS on a disc
Or just preinstall ahead of time

Mr. Robot

So, basically, the people that somehow don't have/or cant use an internet connection in this day and age, wont be able to use the features that require an internet connection? THIS IS MADNESS...

I know, wii games

When I was checking in on the stream, he did a speedtest and it came out to 35 mbps in speed.

But yeah, I missed the chart (at least I think I did; don't remember it... was watching football).

If the server is only sending it to you at 1kb/s, then you're downloading at 1kb/s, nomatter how much bandwidth your connection has. Is this complicated? The guy said the download was averaging a speed FAR SLOWER than the maximum that would be allowed by 35 mb/s.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm just saying that on his speed, a 5 GB taking an hour would make more sense than 1 GB.

Either way, Nintendo really messed this up.

An average of 300 kbps is like 1 gig an hour. Nintendo is probably throttling download speeds so it doesn't blow up the servers.

Update is 4.2GB, ND had that info.
White is usable space, the blue is space taken up by the OS and other stuff.
IfXik.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
K0N80.jpg

20+ish minutes in...

edit: No, wait, it's been more like 40 minutes? I don't know. Damn my head hurts.

Sleepy.

Itchy.

Tasty.

Linkup

No. The OS requires 4.2GB. That includes 512MB reserved space for Wii legacy mode and such. The actual OS itself is much smaller.

Explain one more time. I must be having a brain fart cause I really don't get what you just said. Requires but actual is much smaller?

Nintendo is sooooo going to get backlash for this

They will be forced to include the OS on a disc
Or just preinstall ahead of time
Of course theyre going to do that. All the companies do that. Nintendo already does that with the Wii, DSi and 3DS. Theyre just not ready with the Wii U.

Top Bottom