• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

Linkup

You still get left with just 3gb spare on an 8gb model.

Would not be surprised that with saves and further updates/new OS features that 3GB left turns to 2GB.

It gets deleted? I thought the OS was stored right on the 8GB flash memory. Where is it stored exactly?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is this confirmed officially?
I saw the tweets from press but was that just an estimate?

That size boggles my mind.

30400817.jpg

Ponn

Banned
I'm sorry for all you midnight launchers, that has to suck to wait up all night to grab your system at midnight and end up just going to bed at 2-3am while your system updates.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I sure am jealous of all the people allowed to pick their system up at midnight. At least they can do the shit overnight.

Fuck you, Walmart.

Jzero

How do they know the size? A friend was watching the stream of the guy who downloaded it, he said it was averaging 300K/sec for an hour and five minutes. Which works out to around 1.15GB. A 5GB update being downloaded in that amount of time woulda had him downloading it at like a meg a second, and the guy had graphs and shit showing his up/down speed while he was doing it. And they did not show a meg a second.

So uh

This.

B.O.O.M

5GB? yikes

At least someone mentioned it leaves the same amount of space after it's done or something. That's a good thing. But damn imagine updating this thing tomorrow with millions doing the same.

JoeFu

Banned
How do they know the size? A friend was watching the stream of the guy who downloaded it, he said it was averaging 300K/sec for an hour and five minutes. Which works out to around 1.15GB. A 5GB update being downloaded in that amount of time woulda had him downloading it at like a meg a second, and the guy had graphs and shit showing his up/down speed while he was doing it. And they did not show a meg a second.

So uh
Yeah....

Look logic!!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I seriously doubt the OS update will eat storage space.

Some of you are new to OS updates apparently.

So uh

This sounds more reasonable.

Dragon

Banned

So uh

Let me get this straight. Your friend watched a stream for an hour and averaged the download speeds? You people are nuts!!

rekameohs

Banned
I thought just about everywhere was reporting it to be ~1 Gig?

EDIT:

So uh

Ok, like this

Juice

Also I hope most of us are in on the joke that the tweeter in the OP is stupid. There's no way this download is actually 5GB based on reports of other people downloading the update

iammeiam

Basic only has 3-4gb of usable memory... Im curious how this will even work.

Yeah I'm not understanding how a 5 GB update is actually possible unless it's deleting system files during download. Nintendo has stated 8GB systems come with 3GB free space out of the box, numbers would not work that way.

Bgamer90

Banned

So uh

The streamer had a 35 mpbs connection.

1 GB taking 1 hour on a 35 mbps connection doesn't make sense.

5 GB taking 1 hour on a 35 mbps connection does though.

::shoulder shrug::

JoeFu

Banned
^ he had his data activity showing. It wasn't anywhere near 1MB/s let alone 5...

Let me get this straight. Your friend watched a stream for an hour and averaged the download speeds? You people are nuts!!

We had a thread about this on GAF. There were over 1000 people watching a guy update.

Ridley327

Couldnt they have just featured this firmware update on all the launch titles?

Nintendo must have gone completely nutso with keeping the system under wraps since games don't prompt for a firmware update. I'm sure they'll be standard for games starting in 2013, but this is still a really bone-headed way to handle the situation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is there any reason why they couldn't ship the console with the complete OS? I mean, really?

Based on what I saw before the update, miiverse, the on-demand stuff (Netflix), Nintendo Network, eShop were not on there. My guess is the programs weren't done when systems went into production, which was probably months ago.

RobbieNick

Here's a question. Can you opt NOT to do the update until later? I mean, what if I live somewhere without internet? Plus, I'd rather play my games immediatly and worry about an update some other time.

jonno394

The streamer had a 35 mpbs connection.

1 GB taking 1 hour on a 35 mbps connection doesn't make sense.

5 GB taking 1 hour on a 35 mbps connection does though.

In a perfect world....i never get full speed of my connection when downloading from Nintendo or Sony.

Yeah, there is no way this is actually 5 GB of a download. I am currently monitoring traffic, and at the roughly 35% progress bar location it is sitting at around 500 MB total transmitted according to my router logs.

Unless my logs only update every 5 minutes or something. I will correct this post if so.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Here's a question. Can you opt NOT to do the update until later? I mean, what if I live somewhere without internet? Plus, I'd rather play my games immediatly and worry about an update some other time.

I got my Wii U early last week and was able to play games just fine.

Darko

You dont need the update to play games

Bgamer90

Banned
^ he had his data activity showing. It wasn't anywhere near 1MB/s let alone 5...

When I was checking in on the stream, he did a speedtest and it came out to 35 mbps in speed.

1 GB shouldn't take an hour on a 35 mbps connection.

Heck, I have a 20 mbps connection and it takes no where near that long.

But yeah, I missed the chart (at least I think I did; don't remember it... was watching football).

ari

Banned
So the 5gbs gets deleted after download? Will take a long time but some of you need to get a fucking grip, jesus.

Squire

Banned
Would not be surprised that with saves and further updates/new OS features that 3GB left turns to 2GB.

Hey, there's always themes/wallpapers, right?!
No seriously, right? I wouldn't be shocked if the answer is in fact no.

The crazy part about this is that I am sure that there are a significant amount of people who will be purchasing a Wii U who don't have Wi-fi. I wonder what the solution will be for these folks?

golem

Basic only has 3-4gb of usable memory... Im curious how this will even work.
You need to add storage just to download the update

It's probably replacing files as it downloads

Which is probably the reason the console bricks if you interrupt it

LOL

Codeblue

Rich from IGN said on twitter that he had the same amount of HD space after the update as his did prior so the data more than likely delete itself afterward. I guess this explains why the update took so long though lol

That's good news at least.

I'll have to update before I go home for the break though since the internet at my parents house is slow as all hell.

Anth0ny

I have a feeling tomorrow (today?) is going to be a fucking disaster. So many people downloading this shit at once.

I think I'll wait, honestly. It's obviously not needed.

Davey Cakes

I'm having people over to play games later today so...just to be safe I'll opt out and not update until tomorrow night.

It will be nice to see how the update process is going for everyone, though.

Top Bottom