• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

G-Unit

When I was checking in on the stream, he did a speedtest and it came out to 35 mbps in speed.

1 GB shouldn't take an hour on a 35 mbps connection.

Heck, I have a 20 mbps connection and it takes no where near that long.

But yeah, I missed the chart (at least I think I did; don't remember it... was watching football).

I don't think you understand networks

Einbroch

Banned
Explain one more time. I must be having a brain fart cause I really don't get what you just said. Requires but actual is much smaller?

It requires more space to install, but once installed, will shrink down to what it was at before (or something near it).

It's like installing games on a PC. They say you require 10 GB but the game is only 5 GB, because once the install process is complete, it only takes up 5 GB on your HDD.

XxCGSxX

K0N80.jpg

20+ish minutes in...
Consider yourself lucky because I get unable to connect to server every 2 minutes, but thank god the bar stays at the same place after I start the update again!!

Explain one more time. I must be having a brain fart cause I really don't get what you just said. Requires but actual is much smaller?

4.2gb reserved for "system stuff", but much of that is probably empty at the moment. Still, the OS is keeping it for the future.

pa22word

What the hell is this?! A 5GB DL that bricks your console if you interrupt it? I simply do not have a stable enough connection to feasibly install that. A 5 GB DL would take me over half a day to DL, and I experience random drops during the day due to my ISP being shit.

I can't even believe Nintendo thought this was a good idea. Just, what the fucking fuck man?

EDIT: if nintendo doesn't have a disc based install option in the future (LOL ME FOR EVEN THINKING THAT), I'll just return the system and try again once the update is on the console. Fucking hell, just what in the fuck man...

All you people who have had it for about an hour and 20 don't know my pain.

I've been at it since about 7:30PST. It still hasn't gone over half way.

MrDaravon

Wait, this thing doesn't have an ethernet port? Jesus Christ. I probably would have used wireless anyway, but that's ridiculous. I know families that have Wiis that don't have wireless internet.

iammeiam

What the hell is this?! A 5GB DL that bricks your console if you interrupt it? I simply do not have a stable enough connection to feasibly install that. A 5 GB DL would take me over half a day to DL, and I experience random drops during the day due to my ISP being shit.

I can't even believe Nintendo thought this was a good idea. Just, what the fucking fuck man?

5GB is probably bullshit--reasonable estimates place it at closer to 1.5GB

And it bricks if you power off the console; if your connection is interrupted, it prompts you to retry and resumes the download from where it left off.

Still not good, but.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think you understand networks

That's not how internet works. Just because you're able to hit a certain speed doesn't mean the servers you are connecting to will allow you to download at that speed. If that were the case, my steam downloads would get done a lot faster.

If the server is only sending it to you at 1kb/s, then you're downloading at 1kb/s, nomatter how much bandwidth your connection has. Is this complicated? The guy said the download was averaging a speed FAR SLOWER than the maximum that would be allowed by 35 mb/s.

I never said it was the case.

I just said that it's slow either way and I can't see this being good for Nintendo at all once a good number of people get their consoles. My posts were simply me saying 5 GB would have made sense due to how long it took. It was ridiculous (should have made that more clear I guess).

An average of 300 kbps is like 1 gig an hour. Nintendo is probably throttling download speeds so it doesn't blow up the servers.

In a perfect world....i never get full speed of my connection when downloading from Nintendo or Sony.

Yep.

I still maintain that there is no way that 5 GB of data is actually being transmitted here. Perhaps it's compressed/gzipped to 1.5 GB or so and then uncompressed (which would certainly make sense...), but I am just not seeing 5 GB of data coming across my router, and the progress bar is over 2/3 done at this point.

I call BS.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Interrupting a download will not brick anything. Firmware updates first download, then install. Interrupting the install is what bricks. Intermittent internet will not brick your Wii U.

Wait, this thing doesn't have an ethernet port? Jesus Christ. I probably would have used wireless anyway, but that's ridiculous. I know families that have Wiis that don't have wireless internet.

..the Wii doesn't have an ethernet port either.

wsippel

Banned
The OS generates temporary and image files, logs and what not. Those files are not really part of the OS itself and only generated at runtime, and therefore not part of the download.

TwIsTeD

the 360s wifi performance was cake compared to PS3...that said this update took 45 mins to download...I do have 75/35 so YMMV

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

I know it sucks, and I have terrible Internet too so it's gonna be painful for me as well, but I don't believe that it bricks your console if you interrupt the download. It's if you turn off the console while it's downloading. From what people have said, it seems that if you lose the connection you can connect again and pick up where you left off.

iammeiam

I still maintain that there is no way that 5 GB of data is actually being transmitted here. Perhaps it's compressed/gzipped to 1.5 GB or so and then uncompressed (which would certainly make sense...), but I am just not seeing 5 GB of data coming across my router, and the progress bar is over 2/3 done at this point.

I call BS.

Doritos Pope is just wrong here; I don't care if he excommunicates me, he's wrong. It's not 5GB.

Medalion

Banned
This is near disaster

I've never gotten a home console Nintendo system at launch
Maybe I continue that trend

Wayyyyy too many bugs to sort through

Darko

Interrupting a download will not brick anything. Firmware updates first download, then install. Interrupting the install is what bricks. Intermittent internet will not brick your Wii U.

It does brick if your wii turns off

pa22word

5GB is probably bullshit--reasonable estimates place it at closer to 1.5GB

And it bricks if you power off the console; if your connection is interrupted, it prompts you to retry and resumes the download from where it left off.

Still not good, but.

Whew, crisis averted. Thanks gaf, because I was legitimately considering contacting newegg and telling them to not bother shipping my system.

Terrell

Considering your connection is that bad, and the update only brings features that require internet functionality anyways, I'm really not understanding the pressing necessity of the update for you when your primary concern should be getting a new ISP.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Still not good, but.

I know it sucks, and I have terrible Internet too so it's gonna be painful for me as well, but I don't believe that it bricks your console if you interrupt the download. It's if you turn off the console while it's downloading. From what people have said, it seems that if you lose the connection you can connect again and pick up where you left off.

Ok, I'm calm again. I know my connection goes down a lot when I attempt big downloads so I was worried about that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I wonder, how many millions upon millions of iPad purchasers FREAK OUT when they find out that it doesn't have an ethernet port?

Ydahs

If the console turns off during the update process, it shouldn't be in risk of getting bricked when it's actually downloading, only when it's installing it.

Top Bottom