• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

Terrell

I do... But not everyone does... And even if its 1gb its still too much.

Really? Most Canadian ISPs give them out when you sign up for service and have since... oh, 2007? And if you signed up after that, they usually replaced your modem with a a Wi-Fi enabled one whenever their network infrastructure was upgraded or if you experienced network issues. I haven't seen a house without Wi-Fi since 2008.

Oh, so you're saying that most people with Wi-Fi find that their maximum bandwidth is being throttled. That their internet connection is slowed dramatically by the bandwidth allowed by Wi-Fi.

Funny, I thought that even standard 801.11g well outpaced the vast majority of home internet connection speeds.
Tell that to Rogers.

Dragon

Banned
Oh, so you're saying that most people with Wi-Fi find that their maximum bandwidth is being throttled. That their internet connection is slowed dramatically by the bandwidth allowed by Wi-Fi.

Funny, I thought that even standard 801.11g well outpaced the vast majority of home internet connection speeds.

Your straw man arguments are incredible. I'm not talking about the theoretical limits. I live in New York City with over a hundred wireless networks around me. This causes a severe strain even when I channel hunt after scanning.

Having options isn't a bad thing. Nintendo is just cheap and skimp on things that I feel is unjustified.

HolyTaco

Yeah, I don't get the outrage over the lack of an ethernet port. Who does not have reliable wifi anymore? It must be a very small amount.

Reliable for browsing/downloading sure. Not so much for low latency gaming esp when there's multiple people using the same network. you need a good router also setup correctly for the similar performance from wireless as Ethernet. Even then Ethernet is always going to be the more solid option no matter how much money u burn on a wireless setup for gaming

LiK

Mod put AT LEAST 1 GB. It means it's probably more than that from guesses. No one can confirm its 5GB at this point

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah.. You guys tell me if my internet sucks

Hint:
It does not. It's very speedy for everything else.

Pretty sure we established that max bandwidth is misleading earlier. I sure as hell don't download everything at what a speed test says I should. Any number other than an actual tracked data rate for the download is meaningless. Luckily we have that value for the other guy, so we can guess at size. Sucks yours is going so crazy slow, though.

Your straw man arguments are incredible. I'm not talking about the theoretical limits. I live in New York City with over a hundred wireless networks around me. This causes a severe strain even when I channel hunt after scanning.

Having options isn't a bad thing. Nintendo is just cheap and skimp on things that I feel is unjustified.

WHOA man you're right. How did they ever make it through the Wii's lifespan without a class action lawsuit about the lack of an ethernet port? Maybe because for the smaller group of people like you where wireless isn't a feasible option, it costs about twenty fuckin bucks for a USB ethernet adapter.

jonno394

Never used a console with wi-fi only. Is it worth investing in a newer "n" router for download speed improvements etc...

JoeFu

Banned
Mod put AT LEAST 1 GB. It means it's probably more than that from guesses. No one can confirm its 5GB at this point

Its most likely closer to 1.5. The guy who was streaming the update averaged around 300 kbps and finished at an hour and thirty minutes.

MYE

Ok, but buying a dongle for ethernet capabilities is pretty fucking stupid. They maybe save 4 cents on each machine by not including an ethernet port.

I'm not saying its right, but how is this shocking in an industry that had, and still has, systems that launch without memory cards to save your games out of the box?

I had to buy a damn AC adapter for my 3DSxl.

Thank god I am not in line for a WiiU right now. I will wait for hopefully a price drop, more games and maybe more memory if they are going to be throwing out these patches.

edit: If these 1GB system updates keep up as a regular thing, hopefully they add an ethernet port.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This update.

Is taking for-fucking-ever.

I'm guessing everyone else is having this trouble, too?

def sim

Reliable for browsing/downloading sure. Not so much for low latency gaming esp when there's multiple people using the same network. you need a good router also setup correctly for the similar performance from wireless as Ethernet. Even then Ethernet is always going to be the more solid option no matter how much money u burn on a wireless setup for gaming

The group of people who care about that kind of minutia isn't very large. Playing an online game over wireless is perfectly fine and does not have a significant increase in latency. The kind of advantage a wired connection gives is not necessary for most online games. A fighting game? Maybe. Most everything else? Not at all.

braves01

Banned
I'm not saying its right, but how is this shocking in an industry that had, and still has, systems that launch without memory cards to save your games out of the box?

I had to buy a damn AC adapter for my 3DSxl.

Both of those examples are ridiculous, especially the adapter thing. I still can't believe they did that.

MYE

Thank god I am not in line for a WiiU right now. I will wait for hopefully a price drop, more games and maybe more memory if they are going to be throwing out these patches.

edit: If these 1GB system updates keep up as a regular thing, hopefully they add an ethernet port.

In the OP:

Rich from IGN said on twitter that he had the same amount of HD space after the update as his did prior so the data more than likely delete itself afterward.

Seems like its swaping/rewriting data, not adding,

Dragon

Banned
WHOA man you're right. How did they ever make it through the Wii's lifespan without a class action lawsuit about the lack of an ethernet port? Maybe because for the smaller group of people like you where wireless isn't a feasible option, it costs about twenty fuckin bucks for a USB ethernet adapter.

Oh so now wireless isn't feasible for me? Quite a switch from your attitude earlier.

I don't want to pay Nintendo a dime for something that should be included from the beginning. They're cheap and you're a schill for screaming at me and supporting them over this.

The group of people who care about that kind of minutia isn't very large. Playing an online game over wireless is perfectly fine and does not have a significant increase in latency. The kind of advantage a wired connection gives is not necessary for most online games. A fighting game? Maybe. Most everything else? Not at all.

This is true.

Ranger X

People seriously thought a system update would actually take the USER PARTITION's space? This is silly. Never there has been a Wii update using such a thing. I don't see why that would suddendly change. Nintendo consoles have different partitions for stuff like that.

Nuklear

Banned
I'll be surprised if the PS4 and 720 have Ethernet ports. WiFi is going to be the default on all these systems and they will need to cut costs anywhere they can and the Ethernet port will get the axe.

1GB download is going to be very painful on Day 1 of release because the servers will be under a tremendous load.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I think this is bigger than 1gb. I am 40% done an hour in. This is big

I'd bet good money its 1-2 gb, BUT if nintendo's servers are throttling speeds, it might as well be a 5gb patch. Heck, it could be a 100mb patch but if it takes 5 hours to download, it doesn't matter.

MYE

I played Super Street Fighter IV and MVC3 with my Wifi connection and never had any issues.
All my PC online gaming is through WiFi too. I dont even think I own ethernet cables anymore

Stewox

Banned
You guys don't seem to understand that the update is probably because it was in development and testing until now. Game discs go to manufacturing month before and consoles more months.

Use brains, i think this whining is unnecessary and invalid argument, it's always those loud unpatient fast-paced lifestyle freaks.

Pretty sure we established that max bandwidth is misleading earlier. I sure as hell don't download everything at what a speed test says I should. Any number other than an actual tracked data rate for the download is meaningless. Luckily we have that value for the other guy, so we can guess at size. Sucks yours is going so crazy slow, though

Generally I would agree with you, except for the fact I was downloading things wirelessly (same network) on my main computer before we started to update the Wii U. Very quickly (games on Steam, etc.).

EDIT: Also, no matter how slow the update is going, with my connection, there's no excuse for taking 3 hours to reach the halfway point!

Ydahs

I don't think it's Nintendo that's throttling the speeds. It's more likely the servers are taking a hit with tens of thousands trying to download a gig of data simultaneously.

It's more than likely the most load Nintendo's servers have ever come under. Hopefully they can find a solution sooner rather than later considering they're really investing in digital downloads.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oh so now wireless isn't feasible for me? Quite a switch from your attitude earlier.

I don't want to pay Nintendo a dime for something that should be included from the beginning. They're cheap and you're a schill for screaming at me and supporting them over this.

Nah, I stick by exactly what I said re: iPads. People buy vast VAST scores of consumer electronics every single day that get on the internet only with WiFi, and they all manage to survive without this level of righteous indignation. I'm just patronizing you with that feasibility line. I live in the middle of Chicago and I download reliably over my Wi-Fi at 1.2MB/sec, so don't give me a big city sob story. Buy a better router.

It has nothing to do with shilling for Nintendo. I just don't give a shit about Ethernet, and think anyone thinking it should be expected is delusional, given the present-day state of the port on many electronics. I'll certainly side with anyone complaining about the lack of optical out, though. Patently braindead omission, there.

Generally I would agree with you, except for the fact I was downloading things wirelessly (same network) on my main computer before we started to update the Wii U. Very quickly (games on Steam, etc.).

EDIT: Also, no matter how slow the update is going, with my connection, there's no excuse for taking 3 hours to reach the halfway point!

Well something's going on, sure. I'm just more likely to assume Nintendo bandwidth throttling than large size, given the evidence from that other guy's download.

Top Bottom