• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five #DRIVECLUB beta videos + impressions

jett

D-Member
go here and click play - http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/ That's DriveClub's soundtrack artist.

I don't even know what kind of music that is but I HOPE that's the kind of music they did for DriveClub. It sounds so intense, I've never heard anything like it.

Hybrid makes really good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VDDhV6A9M

I'm fairly interested in listening to the soundtrack paired with the game. Good music used to elevate a racer, like in Ridge Racer Type 4.

Thrakier

Is this some new pathetic gamer crusade you're trying to start?
Jesus christ man, if 30FPS is such a horrible turnoff for you then simply pass on the game. We don't need this garbage in every single thread about Driveclub. I see you've got our resident frame-evangelist Thrakier in your wake too. Joy.

PGR is the best racing franchise i've played. Best handling, best gameplay, most fun i've had with a digital car. 30FPS. It's probably unplayable in your eyes. Same can be said for dozens of other fantastic non-60FPS racers.
Who's the one missing out here, exactly?

Perhaps it's not us who are wrong, maybe it's you. Get the fuck over yourselves instead of acting like some righteous asshole who's here to dictate right from wrong.
Vote with your wallet, like we all do.

I'd say we kinda need it to change something for the better. Then again, 30FPS will be a thing of the past soon enough anyway.

No it wasn't. It was terrible, like many changes made for Apocalypse. Pacific Rift's soundtrack was awesome, a good mix of rock, metal, breaks and beats. It had the Plump DJ's mix of Everybody Needs a 303 and Phat Planet which crap on everything on the Apocalypse soundtrack from a large height.

Like I said, I like Hybrid, but I hope Evolution consider going for a curated soundtrack again next time. I think the diversity by different artists is more interesting and if you don't happen to like the artist doing the soundtrack you're out of luck.
Hmm.

The music has to sit with the game. A soundtrack should revole around artists that emerged from the city the game takes place in, or the type of music that is popular there if there aren't enough decent artists.

So for me the only way it would work is if they had different music for the different locations, for driving in Scotland would get your Scottish artists etc. And if you don't do that then the next best is to have a soundtrack that matches the tone of your game, so sticking with one artist is a good idea to do that.

Otherwise it just becomes like FIFA where every year they just add a bunch of random songs they think the young people are into these days.

benzy

Hybrid makes really good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VDDhV6A9M

I'm fairly interested in listening to the soundtrack paired with the game. Good music used to elevate a racer, like in Ridge Racer Type 4.

That music fits city environment racing better. Gives me a Metropolis Street Racing imagery. Rushy, we need city environments.

Metropolis-Street-Racer-top.jpg

drotahorror

That music fits city environment racing better. Gives me a Metropolis Street Racing imagery. Rushy, we need city environments.

All them country sides...I want some banjos. And acoustic guitars. Give us bluegrass music Evo!

Also, forests and whatnot > city. all day. I wouldn't turn down some cool designed city tracks though.

I'd say we kinda need it to change something for the better. Then again, 30FPS will be a thing of the past soon enough anyway.
Oh, evangelizing for the death of 30FPS in yet another thread? Shocking, and not predictable in the least.

A robot could type your posts for you.

If that's going to be your input in every thread, why bother posting at all?

OsirisBlack

Banned
I played Mario Kart 8 in 60 FPS and 30 FPS. Lol the difference is HUGE. Damn. The only exception for a racing game not being 60 FPS is, when its open world or with destructable enviorment.

Seriously what is your point? I have played Mario Kart 8 @60fps and @30fps with 4 player couch co op and guess what it's fun either way. The whole fps argument comes across as real uppity at times.

drotahorror

I played Mario Kart 8 in 60 FPS and 30 FPS. Lol the difference is HUGE. Damn. The only exception for a racing game not being 60 FPS is, when its open world or with destructable enviorment.

It's almost like you're justifying 30fps on a couple of games that you like but all other games...no exception.

I'm not saying 30fps is good and something I want. It's not. I game on PC 90% of the time on a 60hz monitor with most games vsync'd @ 60fps (multiplayer tps/fps being the exception).

But being that Evolution Studios made the best arcade racers......ever, and they're 30fps, I can deal with another 30fps racer from them.

Well sadly that is common practice on GAF, if you make a dissenting or negative comment or opinion then you will have loads of people jump on you and quote, most of them are usually just smart ass short replies designed to bully / attack / dismiss what they don't like rather than address the argument. Others will twist and warp your words into straw man arguments to try dismiss your comments.

The comment you quoted literally said this game is but a tech demo because it ain't 60fps with tuning options.

Think about what've posted again and come back here once you've figured who's in the wrong.

You tell 'em, Tuhbakee. If there's a genre where 60fps is imperative, it's racing games. But people don't wanna hear it. You can praise this game all you like and not get pounced upon but the minute you express criticism of it - get ready for the backlash. Well I tell you what, I don’t think 30fps the correct design choice for this game. I don’t believe it. I think they got their priorities wrong. And the likelihood that I am right – as opposed to the likelihood that bells and whistles>60fps, I think puts me much more near the position of being objectively correct.

But who are the ones getting multi-quoted here? The person who heaps praise on Driveclub and posts gifs, or you who says “this is nothing more than a tech demo”?

And up go the placards and the yells and the howls and the screams – this is in the PS blog, this is in the YouTube comments section and this is on NeoGAF, it is right in our midst now – “Terrible post” etc.

Do they get reactions when they heap praise? No.

Might I get a reaction for what I just said about a 30fps racer on new, more powerful hardware in 2014? Yes, I might.

Where are your priorities ladies and gentlemen?

You’re giving away what is most precious in your own racing games, and you’re giving it away without a fight and you’re even praising the people who want to deny you the right to resist it. Shame on you why you do this. Make the best use of the 60fps racers you’ve got left. This is really serious.

ddKNr.gif

The "DC is not 60fps lol .. they screwed up" shit has been beaten to death and then some in the 100s of DC threads...just let it go. You can buy PCars...its 1080/60. Just be happy and let everyone else who doesn't give a shit about DC being 60fps, let them have their fun.

Raist

Banned
You tell 'em, Tuhbakee. If there's a genre where 60fps is imperative, it's racing games. But people don't wanna hear it. You can praise this game all you like and not get pounced upon but the minute you express criticism of it - get ready for the backlash. Well I tell you what, I don’t think 30fps the correct design choice for this game. I don’t believe it. I think they got their priorities wrong. And the likelihood that I am right – as opposed to the likelihood that bells and whistles>60fps, I think puts me much more near the position of being objectively correct.

But who are the ones getting multi-quoted here? The person who heaps praise on Driveclub and posts gifs, or you who says “this is nothing more than a tech demo”?

And up go the placards and the yells and the howls and the screams – this is in the PS blog, this is in the YouTube comments section and this is on NeoGAF, it is right in our midst now – “Terrible post” etc.

Do they get reactions when they heap praise? No.

Might I get a reaction for what I just said about a 30fps racer on new, more powerful hardware in 2014? Yes, I might.

Where are your priorities ladies and gentlemen?

You’re giving away what is most precious in your own racing games, and you’re giving it away without a fight and you’re even praising the people who want to deny you the right to resist it. Shame on you why you do this. Make the best use of the 60fps racers you’ve got left. This is really serious.

I really don't get the "60FPS or bust" arguments for racing games, and why it's supposedly "imperative". You don't need split second reflexes etc where 30 vs 60 makes a big difference. If you don't "plan" your driving properly you're fucked anyway.
There are tons of very good 30FPS racers out there.

I'd argue that the only genres where it's "imperative" (as in actually does strongly effect gameplay) are shmups and fighting games.

Harmen

Man, this 30 fps discussion is getting really tiresome. As if games such as Motorstorm: PR/A and Project Gotham 4 were unplayable. I'd argue those games are among the best arcade racers.

For Hack n's Slashers you also see this discussion. Bayonetta for example, a lot of people out there played that game at, what, 20 fps? Inconsistent even. (PS3 version is the most sold, right?) And still considered it a classic. A constant 30 fps is totally servicable for ANY genre. And then you have the people saying that in open world racers and with more interactive environments, it suddenly is fine.

Yes, I do see the difference and 60 is always better. I will never disagree with that notion. I do not consider it to be more important than having really beautiful tracks, however. And DC really seems to deliver on that front.

PC, GT and a lot of other racers will be there for the select few gamers that cannot bear anything below 60.

Thrakier

Oh, evangelizing for the death of 30FPS in yet another thread? Shocking, and not predictable in the least.

A robot could type your posts for you.

If that's going to be your input in every thread, why bother posting at all?

Why do you bother posting "omg looks almost real!!" or "30FPS are just fine" in every thread?

A robot could type posts for you.

(I think it has something to do with voicing an opinion and being heard by developers. You and me both, so it's just fair.)

The 60fps evangelists are getting seriously tiresome.
You have voiced your complaints none of us still in the Driveclub threads care.

We don't care that you think its imperative
We don't care that you want to list all the ways you believe it makes the game unplayable.
We don't caaaaaarrrrrreeee.

You know what else?

The devs don't care.

At this point vote with your wallet or start a petition its the only way any of you are accomplishing anything

Jamesways

BruceLeeRoy, this is really serious though...

Know what's killing me about this game?

The wait. Good lord 5 more weeks. And then almost another month and a half after that for pCARS. Cripes.

Running out of stuff to play in the meantime.

Ferr986

Holy fuck awesome track I wish this was in the game I would drive to this shit for hours.

Yep! Would love it too. 7:30 onwards...damn

uyiVwVA.gif

Although they'll do something more like their albums (not as EDM based). Still looking forward for this soundtrack, they're very talented.

p3tran

Banned
The 60fps evangelists are getting seriously tiresome.
You have voiced your complaints none of us still in the Driveclub threads care.

We don't care that you think its imperative
We don't care that you want to list all the ways you believe it makes the game unplayable.
We don't caaaaaarrrrrreeee.

You know what else?

The devs don't care.

At this point vote with your wallet or start a petition its the only way any of you are accomplishing anything

ok :) first of all, lets not exclude anyone from the threads. or at least, lets make a "30fps lovers only" thread so we can exclude the rest :)

but about what you wrote in bold, well, I'm not so sure...
let's see if the industry is catering to the 60hz evanglists:
the heavy hitters like battlefield and halo are taking the high framerate way of call of duty (billion seller) and titanfall. fifa (best seller) and nba and big sport franchises in general, already are there and i dont think they are coming back to 30 any time soon.

now, add the sale volume and the market visibility of the above franchises, and basically you've got a significant percentage of lets say... casual AAA market, dudebro AAA market, call it whatever you like as long as you understand what I mean :)

I dont think that its as not important as you think.

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone started bitching about the framerate in a DC thread again(Subsequently followed by the regulars). We should almost be thankful the thread lasted this long, almost a new record for Driveclub?

ok :) first of all, lets not exclude anyone from the threads. or at least, lets make a "30fps lovers only" thread so we can exclude the rest :)

but about what you wrote in bold, well, I'm not so sure...
let's see if the industry is catering to the 60hz evanglists:
the heavy hitters like battlefield and halo are taking the high framerate way of call of duty (billion seller) and titanfall. fifa (best seller) and nba and big sport franchises in general, already are there and i dont think they are coming back to 30 any time soon.

now, add the sale volume and the market visibility of the above franchises, and basically you've got a significant percentage of lets say... casual AAA market, dudebro AAA market, call it whatever you like as long as you understand what I mean :)

I dont think that its as not important as you think.

If anything, there's 60 fps lovers and people who just want to play games.

le-seb

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone started bitching about the framerate in a DC thread again(Subsequently followed by the regulars). We should almost be thankful the thread lasted this long, almost a new record for Driveclub?
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the 60 fps derailment didn't happen before page 17 or something in the thread showing the weather effects (drenched forests of Canada).
But, to be honest, it could just be because the first 16 pages of this thread were basically people just posting to say "wow". ;)

leadbelly

Banned

Metropolis-Street-Racer-top.jpg

That is something I've been wondering about. All the tracks seen so far have all been open countryside, which makes you wonder if there are any city tracks at all. Of course, we've only really seen a handful of tracks so far.

I'm hoping there are a few city tracks in there.

viveks86

Here's the thing, people. I have nothing against 30 fps vs 60 fps debates. But please realize that it's tangential to the topic of the thread. No matter which side of the debate you are on, YOU are derailing the thread. It's easy to blame the other guy, but it takes two to tango. This always ends with everyone being bitter to each other. If you want developers to know where you stand, create a thread for it or tweet to them directly. See if you can gather up enough people to make a difference. Shitting up every thread and claiming you are doing the world a favor is not the way.

Shaneus

Man, this 30 fps discussion is getting really tiresome. As if games such as Motorstorm: PR/A and Project Gotham 4 were unplayable. I'd argue those games are among the best arcade racers.

For Hack n's Slashers you also see this discussion. Bayonetta for example, a lot of people out there played that game at, what, 20 fps? Inconsistent even. (PS3 version is the most sold, right?) And still considered it a classic. A constant 30 fps is totally servicable for ANY genre. And then you have the people saying that in open world racers and with more interactive environments, it suddenly is fine.

Yes, I do see the difference and 60 is always better. I will never disagree with that notion. I do not consider it to be more important than having really beautiful tracks, however. And DC really seems to deliver on that front.

PC, GT and a lot of other racers will be there for the select few gamers that cannot bear anything below 60.
What's PR/A?

Fake edit: I didn't notice the colon after Motorstorm. Pacific Rift (and whatever the other one) was, then :) PS. Don't forget Blur (on console), Split/Second, PGR2/3, MSR and a good deal many others. Arcadey (compared to pure sim) racers don't need twitch controls and don't need 60fps for immersion. That we can watch endless footage on TV of F1, rally and other motor races and still experience the sensation of speed says bucketloads about whether 30fps is suitable for racing games.

i-Lo

This whole 30fps vs 60fps really matters when the framerate swings between the two. It's noticeable because of the difference manifests itself through the range. However, once immersed, 60fps or 30fps it truly doesn't matter to millions of gamers who have been playing games on consoles.

Anyway, the lighting in this game is remarkable. I come away more impressed every time. On the flip side, I had hoped for them to remove small details that serve no purpose at speed other than act as an immersion breakers in the form of pop-ins.

TTOOLL

People have known for ages that the game is 30fps and yet in every DC thread they come and complain about it. It's amazing, really. Such persistence.

Bluenova

Neo Member
No it wasn't. It was terrible, like many changes made for Apocalypse. Pacific Rift's soundtrack was awesome, a good mix of rock, metal, breaks and beats. It had the Plump DJ's mix of Everybody Needs a 303 and Phat Planet which crap on everything on the Apocalypse soundtrack from a large height.

HUH. What are you on ;p Seriously though, yea its a departure from Pacific Rift- still my favorite game, but lol the ost does not crap on anything at all [well maybe on games not motorstorm] lol
The Shockland ep ost is some great work, very far from terrible and tonally perfect fit for the epic racing. I'm honestly hyped thinking about it. And it wasn't some nobody's in it but Dj Shadow, Eliteforce, Noisia and Klaus Badelt all working on it. I kinda think there is no soundtrack like it.

Shockland is one of the F'n best,
http://youtu.be/9kc_vfU-Ug4
Bullitt
http://youtu.be/FjwHNAMSHdw

But either way, I hope we both like Driveclub's selection, and mp3 support hits too.

these new shots are, as I expected

viveks86

The weather patch is gonna be a painful wait isn't it.

It definitely seems like mid-December. Evo hints at a 2 month gap here:

“It’s not such a bad thing,” said Perkins. “It’s worth being able to learn the tracks in the dry. Then you can start playing at night, and then when it’s raining during the day. If you really want to challenge yourself, then a snowstorm at night is quite a different experience. It’s probably worth having that two-month lead-in just practicing the tracks before you get the really difficult settings thrown in.”

“Right now we haven’t committed to a date,” said Rustchynsky. “What we have said is that it definitely will be out before the ends of the year.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/03/driveclub-weather-graphics-delay/

Top Bottom