• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite allowing cross platform play with Xbox One & PS4 gamers?

Meaty

If a microsoft account is necessary for minecraft crossplay, ms could give achievements and gamerscore to a ps player, make them acess the xbox live store to get dlc. Sony reallly wouldnt want their players being introduced to their rivals ecosystem while playing their own machine.

My biggest problem with Better Together isnt how XBL is required to get crossplay, but to get the update at all. There should be no link between a graphics pack and an online ecosystem.

I am surprised it took this long for this "mistake" to pop up. "oh noes, it looks like a glitch in our match making "WINK""

Wonder how quick they will fix it.

From Microsoft perspective: why create a new account system just for 1 game and not use your own existing account system?

Would be a pretty fun excuse while they are publicly trying to get MS accounts on PS4 for Minecraft.

IIRC wasn't crossplay removed from the Xbox version due to policy issues? Maybe they fixed whatever was wrong.

I could be wrong but I believe that's the case. As far as I'm aware it's due to Microsoft's policy about Xbox players having the option to opt out of crossplay if they want to.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If a microsoft account is necessary for minecraft crossplay, ms could give achievements and gamerscore to a ps player, make them acess the xbox live store to get dlc. Sony reallly wouldnt want their players being introduced to their rivals ecosystem while playing their own machine.

My biggest problem with Better Together isnt how XBL is required to get crossplay, but to get the update at all. There should be no link between a graphics pack and an online ecosystem.

It is a new engine a platform takes it or not. Big part is to cut costs maintaining so many versions. If Sony gets one then Nintendo Apple and Google ask for one and they are back to where they started. This is all on Sony period when Apple and Nintendo are on board.

CookTrain

I am surprised it took this long for this "mistake" to pop up. "oh noes, it looks like a glitch in our match making "WINK""

Wonder how quick they will fix it.

Imagine if every major update, they "accidentally" turn it back on again... Gosh, we're so sorry. We'll totally turn it off this time.

FyreWulff

Better Together isn't a graphics pack. It's a completely new client/engine altogether.

They're basically not going to waste the time to graft crossplay onto the old client at this stage when the vast majority of platforms will be on the new one (they eventually want to unify all of Minecraft under the new single engine/client)

Meaty

Better Together isn't a graphics pack. It's a completely new client/engine altogether. To put it in perspective, Minecraft 3DS was just announced. While it has no online multiplayer, it has larger worlds than the 360, PS3, and Wii U versions, just because it was on a more modern client codebase when it started out.

They're basically not going to waste the time to graft crossplay onto the old client at this stage when the vast majority of platforms will be on the new one.

Im not asking them to waste their time putting crossplay on the old client, or discussing wether better together is only a graphics pack, I know its not.

I just find it bullshit that microsoft will not update the ps4 version with the graphical and engine improvements just because of no xbl.

Its not like the new engine is running on the cloud and the game is alwyas online.

There are parts of better together that do not require online infrastructure, those should be updated on ps4.

MUnited83

For you.
Im not asking them to waste their time putting crossplay on the old client, or discussing wether better together is only a graphics pack, I know its not.

I just find it bullshit that microsoft will not update the ps4 version with the graphical and engine improvements just because of no xbl.

Its not like the new engine is running on the cloud and the game is alwyas online.

There are parts of better together that do not require online infrastructure, those should be updated on ps4.

The whole point of the update is having a unified codebase and shared servers across the board. Why should the PS4 get special treatment and get separated servers that literally destroy the point of the update?

Meaty

The whole point of the update is having a unified codebase and shared servers across the board. Why should the PS4 get special treatment and get separated servers that literally destroy the point of the update?

It already has separate servers, the only reason to claim "this would destroy the point of the update" or that "the point of this update is the crossplay!" is if you are microsoft and want more people on your online service.

Truth is, this is a pretty fucking big update and crossplay is just a part of it. They are just marketing it in a way to force sony's hand with crossplay.

Ploid 3.0

It already has separate servers, the only reason to claim "this would destroy the point of the update" or that "the point of this update is the crossplay!" is if you are microsoft and want more people on your online service.

Truth is, this is a pretty fucking big update and crossplay is just a part of it. They are just marketing it in a way to force sony's hand with crossplay.

Can't really blame them. Even though I think Sony publish the PS4 version, if you have a shot at leverage you'd be silly not to try using it.

timberger

Well, it's a start I guess. Only a matter of time before they buckle on the issue so any small signs of that are welcome.

Now excuse me while I pick out an innocuous post in the thread to be excessively rude about.

black070

This is getting ridiculous - Sony should stop being assholes and allow it on all games, devs clearly have the means and will to support it.

KageMaru

I could be wrong but I believe that's the case. As far as I'm aware it's due to Microsoft's policy about Xbox players having the option to opt out of crossplay if they want to.

If that's the case I think that's a reasonable policy. Especially when PC is involved, I would hope for an option to opt out with playing against them in a competitive game. Do we know if that's now an option?

Wow!

How has this happened? Are Epic doing a sneaky?

Could be that Epic now fulfills whatever feature is required for the feature to be approved.

leeh

Could be that Epic now fulfills whatever feature is required for the feature to be approved.
I was more so referring to Xbox <> PS4 cross-play. Either Sony dont know or this is the first instance of its approval, if the latter, then bring on the others :)

bitbydeath

This is getting ridiculous - Sony should stop being assholes and allow it on all games, devs clearly have the means and will to support it.

Sony will probably only allow it when certain conditions are met, such as not needing to login to an MS account.

Keinning

Sony will probably only allow it when certain conditions are met, such as not needing to login to an MS account.

when will people finally drop this strawman

MS accounts never were a requirement for crossplay save for the one game owned by microsoft using microsoft servers - ask Rocket League. Hell, ask Epic now

bitbydeath

when will people finally drop this strawman

MS accounts never were a requirement for crossplay save for the one game owned by microsoft using microsoft servers - ask Rocket League. Hell, ask Epic now

They haven't stipulated and may not even know the discussions MS and Sony have been having, but go ahead and ask.

Keinning

The phrase doesn't go into the detail of those security requirements.

The phrase goes in detail saying they already got the yes. The paragraph goes in detail that they use their own servers. The next paragraph goes in detail saying that sony is the one blocking it for political reasons

But go ahead and cover your ears if you want to

bitbydeath

The phrase goes in detail saying they already got the yes. The paragraph goes in detail that they use their own servers. The next paragraph goes in detail saying that sony is the one blocking it for political reasons

But go ahead and cover your ears if you want to

I'm just saying we don't know the details, they aren't public so guessing it is just Sony saying no without reason 'could' be incorrect.

We don't know.

Keinning

I'm just saying we don't know the details, they aren't public so guessing it is just Sony saying no without reason 'could' be incorrect.

We don't know.

No, you were saying microsoft requires xbl accounts to crossplay and rocket league proves that is not the case.

bitbydeath

No, you were saying microsoft requires xbl accounts to crossplay and rocket league proves that is not the case.

I said 'such as', which doesn't mean every/any case.

What we do know is MS and Sony have apparently been having conversations, what would they have to talk about? There is a crossing of paths that has not been made public.

quote-yeah-like-bizarro-superman-superman-s-exact-opposite-who-lives-in-the-backwards-bizarro-jerry-seinfeld-71-63-13.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Epic retracted that comment.

Any way, PS4 and PC are cross play and cross buy, something caused xbox to be out of the group. The option for xbox only server option maybe. Epic seem to have a very good relationship with Sony though. Does the game get updates frequently? Does xbox keep up with PC and PS4's updates?

Gowans

Gowans is this a good time to buy the game? Ots 29.95 on ps4.

I take it you have it?

I think it's worth it, having fun but hit a road block in the PvE

Any way, PS4 and PC are cross play and cross buy, something caused xbox to be out of the group. The option for xbox only server option maybe. Epic seem to have a very good relationship with Sony though. Does the game get updates frequently? Does xbox keep up with PC and PS4's updates?

Yeah its all upto date.

My personal thoughts are they did the exact same as paragon but then also added Xbox One this time. As they already have PC/PS4 with Paragon they can't add Xbox to that as there is no console cross play policy between MS & Sony so they just seperated it.

Now PS4 and Xbox players are playing together I think is down to they all use the same secure policies to connect to the epic servers, all the same code and tech but the filter is bugged or has been 'forgotten' for PvP.

Lucifon

This needs to happen, it'd be awesome. In a game like this it makes no difference. You don't see playernames until you die / kill someone. There's no advantage / disadvantage to either console. And it substantially increases that playerbase which is needed for 100 person matches at all times of the day.

*Splinter

Its not "Tales FromMy Ass" when I literally admit to uncertainty and that I am ignorant of all the details I am not presenting anything as fact so your response is both childish and literally wrong.

Totally uncalled for.
You were also correct as far as I can tell, no idea what that guys problem was (and of course he didn't feel the need to explain himself).

Sony and Microsoft are both in the wrong here imo.
The thing is we don't actually know what's going on behind the scenes. Xbox can publicly say "we're open to cross platform" then go to Sony and add "...if users are forced to create Live accounts" (which Sony would obviously and reasonably refuse). This needs to be an agreement between Sony and MS so that's a negotiation for them to have. All we can do is keep asking for it until it happens.

The "BALLS IN YOUR COURT [SONY/MS]" posts are just classic console warrioring, as if PR statements are worth a damn.

You were also correct as far as I can tell, no idea what that guys problem was (and of course he didn't feel the need to explain himself).

The thing is we don't actually know what's going on behind the scenes. Xbox can publicly say "we're open to cross platform" then go to Sony and add "...if users are forced to create Live accounts" (which Sony would obviously and reasonably refuse). This needs to be an agreement between Sony and MS so that's a negotiation for them to have. All we can do is keep asking for it until it happens.

The "BALLS IN YOUR COURT [SONY/MS]" posts are just classic console warrioring, as if PR statements are worth a damn.

Pretty sure devs have said Sony is the one who said no and MS was fine with it.

It's a negotiation between Sony and MS, "devs" know as much as you or me.

Cross-play is something that devs can and have to do themselves because no platform holders will actively building a bridge between platforms. In rocket league's case, the devs have done all the tech. So when they say "Sony just have approve it," it means that Sony may be the one contractually blocking it.

Severianb

Oh yeah, this most likely going to be shut down.

If history is any indication, by Sony, because of their concern for children.

But it's proof that the only things stopping cross-play between PlayStation and Xbox are political.

Top Bottom