• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite allowing cross platform play with Xbox One & PS4 gamers?

Kayant

You can't even turn off cross play with PS4 and PC Paragon play. We're always playing together. PS4 players can see who are on PS4 or PC though. PC players can't see which system their team are playing on.
Interesting yh that would confirm my speculation if the retracted statement was accurate.

Hmmm it seems not being able to see platforms from the PC side which be a PS/XB policy as it's the same on rocket league(If this wiki is accurate which I think it is because I have never seen the shield icon on PC it's always PSYNET).

CookTrain

The game devs have to get permission from the console manufacturers before they implement such a feature. That's why we have certification processes. I think Epic can patch Paragon and Fortnite without a cert process. They patch weekly on paragon, and now that these two instances of a glitch or possibility went through it might cause Paragon patches to be slower.

We know they need permission, that's what 90% of the discussion focuses on. We know some people on board and others are not. The first time this happened, it seemed like MS shut it down but now we have the head of Xbox saying he has no problem with it.

This whole situation is one of willing, and pressure will only continue to mount to find out why whoever is holding out, is holding out. Hopefully they change course sooner rather than later because cross platform play is good for all players.

Ploid 3.0

Cross play may be a big thing at the start of next gen. Unless there's no Xbox next. Or it takes one of them ages to launch after the first one does, allowing the first to launch to get a huge head start.

CookTrain

Cross play may be a big thing at the start of next gen. Unless there's no Xbox next. Or it takes one of them ages to launch after the first one does, allowing the first to launch to get a huge head start.

Why wait? Sony are happy to go with PC. Microsoft have bridged the gap with Nintendo, Google, Apple and seemingly Valve as well.

Why not slot that one last puzzle piece into place and have the arbitrary nonsense consigned to the history books like it deserves to be?

Ploid 3.0

Why wait? Sony are happy to go with PC. Microsoft have bridged the gap with Nintendo, Google, Apple and seemingly Valve as well.

Why not slot that one last puzzle piece into place and have the arbitrary nonsense consigned to the history books like it deserves to be?

Because right now, like last gen, there there is a console with a big lead, and company that is over that console have little reason to offer a leg up to the other consoles. PS4 owners don't really care. Their friends bought PS4, or maybe they are on PC (PC+PS4 is the popular combination since it also offer Xbox One games). PS4 having the bigger user base makes it so they also don't really feel a lack of people in games that often. The game would have to be pretty old I'd imagine.

At the start of a generation everything is reset. Though I still see some reason it won't happen. Why offer users a reason to not buy your console over the other? Though at the start of a generation or new launch those consoles sell out no matter what. So it's the best chance of cross play among consoles.

CookTrain

Because right now, like last gen, there there is a console with a big lead, and company that is over that console have little reason to offer a leg up to the other consoles.

At the start of a generation everything is reset. Though I still see some reason it won't happen. Why offer users a reason to not buy your console over the other? Though at the start of a generation or new launch those consoles sell out no matter what. So it's the best chance of cross play among consoles.

Unless everyone in the industry moves on and you become known as the place where such cross-platform play can't be found. I said when the Better Together stuff was announced that this conversation would only get louder, and it's only getting louder.

But hey, consumers have short memories sometimes, so maybe it won't matter.

Ploid 3.0

Unless everyone in the industry moves on and you become known as the place where such cross-platform play can't be found. I said when the Better Together stuff was announced that this conversation would only get louder, and it's only getting louder.

But hey, consumers have short memories sometimes, so maybe it won't matter.

I still don't see Switch getting a massive amount of games that it can cross play with Xbox. Again, if this brings more games to the switch that would be awesome.

So it's PC + PS4 vs Xbox + PC. PCPS4 has been going strong for a while, and I would rather devs keep doing that for the PS4 install base, but whatever if some chose to go PC Xbox (Microsoft published games are a no brainer).

CookTrain

I still don't see Switch getting a massive amount of games that it can cross play with Xbox. Again, if this brings more games to the switch that would be awesome.

Indeed it would be. I don't know if Bethesda have any of their games slotted up for cross-play, but I hope it's at least something they're exploring.

Top Bottom