• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite allowing cross platform play with Xbox One & PS4 gamers?

jelly

Epic nudge.

Neat, I wonder what Sony will do. Maybe they are trying to figure out how to block it without turning off PSN :p

cakely

The "BALLS IN YOUR COURT [SONY/MS]" posts are just classic console warrioring, as if PR statements are worth a damn.

Yep, and even though this thread is about Fortnite cross-platform play somehow actually working, we're still getting it here.

CookTrain

Epic Games have admitted this did happen. They've now "corrected" it so crossplay has been removed.

Source - http://www.psu.com/news/34194/epic-games-says-ps4-xbox-one-cross-play-corrected

Gaming press needs to start asking questions about why this needs removing and what the hold up is. Last time they said it was Microsoft, then they swept that out of the notes and now it's just an anonymous "mistake"... Almost seems like it's more bother putting in the restrictions than just having the netcode do it's thing.

Would love to see more developers "accidentally" enable this. As long as its unofficial nature doesn't put users at any security risk it's a good way to bring attention to how stupid this all is that people can't play together even if they do disable it as soon as it gets some attention.

Gaming press needs to start asking questions about why this needs removing and what the hold up is. Last time they said it was Microsoft, then they swept that out of the notes and now it's just an anonymous "mistake"... Almost seems like it's more bother putting in the restrictions than just having the netcode do it's thing.

Press should have kept quiet and we’d still have it!!!

In a situation where it’s as easy as this and no one has to sign into anything special, I don’t see why they don’t just implement it.

Jeremy

Epic Games have admitted this did happen. They've now "corrected" it so crossplay has been removed.

Source - http://www.psu.com/news/34194/epic-games-says-ps4-xbox-one-cross-play-corrected

Would have really hoped this was a rebellious push to bring wider attention to cross-platform play at most and maybe a controversial attempt to boost player count second. I just like that it shows it's achievable and seemingly easy to turn on and off once implemented. Surely that wouldn't hold for every game but it's obviously all there in this instance.

Because apparently developers and players want it.

I get it. I want it. everyone wants it.

I just dont get how you can expect a for profit buisness (in the hardware market lead) to make a decision like this.

Because gamers on their platform are asking for it? You know, "For The Players".

Yeah you understand that means "for the SONY players"

I am playing devils advocate here, before people jump on me. I just don't see them making this decision to eat into hardware sales.

Better for developers as it allows games with smaller user bases to to live longer by consolidating them across platforms.

A good thing all around I would think. Nothing like having a game with 1,000 concurrent players split across three platforms so that each one has a shitty experience.

I would think that Sony taking their 30% cut from DLC sold on their store for games that live longer would be a good thing?

I am sure they have run the numbers and made the decision based on finances.

If you are Sony why? legit question?

Better for developers as it allows games with smaller user bases to to live longer by consolidating them across platforms.

A good thing all around I would think. Nothing like having a game with 1,000 concurrent players split across three platforms so that each one has a shitty experience.

I would think that Sony taking their 30% cut from DLC sold on their store for games that live longer would be a good thing? Hardware sales remain a means to get people to buy software. Money is still made there.

People can buy more PS4s without worrying that they can't play with their friends. Win-win!

in a world where Microsoft has a new console coming out that is more powerful then Sonys offering. It just doesn't make sense for them.

Again I don't particularly agree with the decision 100% but it makes for an interesting discussion.

I am sure they have run the numbers and made the decision based on finances.

Just like they did with Minecraft where they are letting a huge game on their platform with tons of incredibly high margin DLC sales fall to the wayside?

You are overthinking this.

in a world where Microsoft has a new console coming out that is more powerful then Sonys offering. It just doesn't make sense for them.

Again I don't particularly agree with the decision 100% but it makes for an interesting discussion.

It doesn't actually. The only interesting aspect of the conversation is how Sony came out "4 the Players" and the moment they got in the lead they immediately ignored that. They believed that their player base would continue to defend these decisions and they were correct in that regard.

Remember their initial "4 the Children" defense?

Sony makes money on selling software and not hardware. They also make a lot of money on PSN subs. For online only games, they live or die by the community size and all future DLC sales are dependent upon this. By intentionally limiting your community size to only your platform, you significantly reduce the maximum player base for that game.

Just like they did with Minecraft where they are letting a huge game on their platform with tons of incredibly high margin DLC sales fall to the wayside?

You are overthinking this.

It doesn't actually. The only interesting aspect of the conversation is how Sony came out "4 the Players" and the moment they got in the lead they immediately ignored that. They believed that their player base would continue to defend these decisions and they were correct in that regard.

Remember their initial "4 the Children" defense?

I will give it to Microsoft for making the right decision. Its awesome however they changed their minds as soon as they began to lose market share as well.

Sony deserves all the shit for that "protect the children stuff"

Yeah you understand that means "for the SONY players"

I am playing devils advocate here, before people jump on me. I just don't see them making this decision to eat into hardware sales.

But Sony players want this. I don't understand your logic. It's good to play devils advocate, but don't let a brand blind you.

NoKisum

One of you Sony fans, explain to me how "Sony finally allows cross-play" will lead to "Sony out of business, closing its doors for good".

One of you Sony fans, explain to me how "Sony finally allows cross-play" will lead to "Sony out of business, closing its doors for good".

Don't know if you are talking to me but I never said that, but do you not believe they have had meetings about this and looked at the numbers and the decision is not 100% financial?

NoKisum

Don't know if you are talking to me but I never said that, but do you not believe they have had meetings about this and looked at the numbers and the decision is not 100% financial?

It wasn't aimed at you, but whenever I hear someone against the idea of cross play, they get extremely upset about the idea as if cross play will sink the company or suddenly cause their games to release as rushed, botched messes the size of Sonic 06. But no one ever says why having the option to play with more people is an outright terrible idea.

Ploid 3.0

It wasn't aimed at you, but whenever I hear someone against the idea of cross play, they get extremely upset about the idea as if cross play will sink the company or suddenly cause their games to release as rushed, botched messes the size of Sonic 06. But no one ever says why having the option to play with more people is an outright terrible idea.

I think a lot of people confuse people that play out reasons Sony might not want cross play with other consoles, as them defending sony, and being mad about cross play.

The main reasons I saw for people that don't actually want or care for cross play is that you can't voice chat with them, you usually can't invite them to games, or make parties. Some cross play games allow parties in that game's friend list system (Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV, Paragon for examples).

Head.spawn

You were also correct as far as I can tell, no idea what that guys problem was (and of course he didn't feel the need to explain himself).

Hi there, I'm the guy who you claim, "didn't feel the need to explain himself" I guess.

If you read my second reply to him, as long as you can read typed english words, I absolutely explained myself. If you don't agree with my assessment, that's an entirely different conversation, but it'd have to be a conversation where we completely ignore the fact that what he is saying is incorrect as far as what we can actively and definitively verify with our own eyes... Rocket League having crossplay whilst doing literally none of the things he claimed certainly sounds to me like he didn't do the due dilgence and actually look up any actual information on this subject but did indeed craft the story based on his gut feelings.

Post #37, plain as day. Unless I'm replying to a joke post anyways.

Phil Spencer was asked about it on Twitter. He said he would have liked to see them leave the crossplay on.

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/909907901765922816

What happened to the PC and Xbox cross play? This line was removed from a previous patch note:

EA PATCH NOTES 1.4
By The Fortnite Team

Xbox
Fixed a rare audio crash on Xbox One.
Per policy discussion with Microsoft, removed ability for PC friends to join players on Xbox One

I get it. I want it. everyone wants it.

I just dont get how you can expect a for profit buisness (in the hardware market lead) to make a decision like this.

You realize that companies don't always make choices the purely benefit them financially, right? For one it's a bad look when Microsoft and Nintendo are down, and you're the odd one out for seemingly no reason, and even worse when your reasoning is obvious bullshit like "for the kids". Also, with this news they've been caught in a lie, which also does not look too good.

NoKisum

You realize that companies don't always make choices the purely benefit them financially, right? For one it's a bad look when Microsoft and Nintendo are down, and you're the odd one out for seemingly no reason, and even worse when your reasoning is obvious bullshit like "for the kids". Also, with this news they've been caught in a lie, which also does not look too good.

So the bottom line is that they said "no" the first time, and chose to stubbornly stay at that stance despite constant signs of having cross platform play being positive.

Couldn't tell ya, I'm just the messenger.

Sorry it wasn't directed at you, I was just wondering what happened. It seems kind of odd that the Xbox team claim to be for cross play yet Fortnite's PC and Xbox cross play was disabled, and the supposed reason for disabling it was removed from the patch note.

As far as I know, Epic Games hasn't communicated about what happened there, or about the possibility of seeing a return of Xbox and PC cross play.

Head.spawn

What happened to the PC and Xbox cross play? This line was removed from a previous patch note:

Yeah and then they redacted the statement.

Is it possible that they redacted it because it was inaccurate? Sounds more likely to be the case than not IMO.

And that post you're replying to.. it's not like Phil Spencer accidentally replied to that tweet instead of the thousands he leaves unanswered every day, he's using that to make Xbox's stance with this game clear IMO. Epic has released two new console games this gen, both with exclusive ties to Sony... I just have a hard time not believing their stance factors into this more than anything.

JoeLT

Yeah and then they redacted the statement.

Is it possible that they redacted it because it was inaccurate? Sounds more likely to be the case than not IMO.

And that post you're replying to.. it's not like Phil Spencer accidentally replied to that tweet instead of the thousands he leaves unanswered every day, he's using that to make Xbox's stance with this game clear IMO. Epic has released two new console games this gen, both with exclusive ties to Sony... I just have a hard time not believing their stance factors into this more than anything.

Yeah that part was removed from the notes. Xbox has stricter policies on cross network security, the Rocket League developers said this, though they also said they were easy to implement. It's pretty clear what Xbox's stance on this is, the lack of a statement from Sony is really frustrating.

Ploid 3.0

At yet here we are. It's ready and working and obviously it's more than just a "glitch", so the press should start turning the screws on everyone to find out why it's not being greenlit.

The game devs have to get permission from the console manufacturers before they implement such a feature. That's why we have certification processes. I think Epic can patch Paragon and Fortnite without a cert process. They patch weekly on paragon, and now that these two instances of a glitch or possibility went through it might cause Paragon patches to be slower.

We're getting a Paragon patch on Thursday instead of Tuesday (tomorrow). I thought it was very strange, maybe it's just that they needed more time with the graphical overhaul of the game, but what if Epic want's to double check their patches now?

So it's not an Xbox policy issue that's getting in the way then. Or at least that's what it sounds like.

Wonder if Sony is what's holding it up right now then.

It's likely that Epic was notified of it by the seeing people talk about it on Fortnite reddit, or wherever, or their own devs found the situation, and they corrected it.

Kayant

Phil Spencer was asked about it on Twitter. He said he would have liked to see them leave the crossplay on.

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/909907901765922816
Sounds like two things are going on here.

MS refusing PC to Xbox crossplay one would guess not able to turn off crossplay might be the problem(If there is no option) or something else in their requirements not being met to implement cross-play.

And the usual Sony policy of no cross-console play.

Ploid 3.0

Sounds like two things are going on here.

MS refusing PC to Xbox crossplay one would guess not able to turn off crossplay might be the problem(If there is no option) or something else in their requirements not being met to implement cross-play.

And the usual Sony policy of no cross-console play.

You can't even turn off cross play with PS4 and PC Paragon play. We're always playing together. PS4 players can see who are on PS4 or PC though. PC players can't see which system their team are playing on.

Top Bottom