• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale had Over 1 Million Players on its First Day

Mikey Jr.

For me, it's VERY easy to recommend.

Have a PS4? You are good to go. No "is ma pc gud enuff?" questions.

It's absolutely free. No risk.

Don't need PS plus. No interest in PS plus? No worries, you can still play!

Burst may have been the wrong word, punctured is more like it. They'll have to actively fight to keep their players from leaking out now that there is a better viable alternative out.

"Better viable alternative" is also the wrong word/phrase. :p

And sure its 1 million players but its 1 million across 3 platforms for a F2P game. Getting people to download a F2P clone of an immensely popular and hyped game is only half the battle (and the easy part of that battle). Keeping those players (or increasing the number) is the hard part.

If its still doing those numbers after a month or two Bluehole would probably be concerned about players being leeched off. Till then its early days.

Ploid 3.0

They need to get this game on steam if they plan on competing with PUBG on PC. I have never heard of the epic launcher until this announcement lol.

Now you know where to get it. I didn't know about Battle.net until I wanted to play a game that used it. Same for Origin, and so on. If people want to play a game, they will know how. The only thing steam is good for is giving exposure to impulse downloaders that, and the people that are tied into the steam friend list/achievements, and whatever else it has that holds them there.

I almost got suckered into this ecosystem when I got a steam controller, but thankfully there are ways around problems with non steam games.

Image Red Dead Redemption 2 Online having a BR mode.

Oh crap, it's already done. And Rockstar Shark IOUs will drive it's design.

GHG

"Better viable alternative" is also the wrong word/phrase. :p

And sure its 1 million players but its 1 million across 3 platforms for a F2P game. Getting people to download a F2P clone of an immensely popular and hyped game is only half the battle (and the easy part of that battle). Keeping those players (or increasing the number) is the hard part.

If its still doing those numbers after a month or two Bluehole would probably be concerned about players being leeched off. Till then its early days.

Why should Bluehole be concerned considering you have to buy their game up front in order to pay? They've already made far more money than they could have ever expected.

Why should Bluehole be concerned considering you have to buy their game up front in order to pay? They've already made far more money than they could have ever expected.

Is that, like, a trick question?

They should be and will be concerned because they want to make more money, obviously.

If you can get the same/better experience for free then it will eat into their future sales quite significantly. Less people playing PUBG also means that their crate system will bring in less money.

GHG

They should be and will be concerned because they want to make more money, obviously.

If you can get the same/better experience for free then it will eat into their future sales quite significantly. Less people playing PUBG also means that their crate system will bring in less money.

Well I'm of the opinion that shit like paid crates/lootboxes have no place in games that aren't F2P. So it's a case of cry me a river if that's their concern at this stage.

Fortnight is the least of thier worries, EA, activision, ubisoft, and Rockstar will all have their own battle royal mode.

This is a copy cat industry afterall.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I'm really enjoying Fortnite but it's definitely not the same experience. I mean the game doesn't even have vehicles yet. And has a much smaller map.

I_D

PUBG @ 4k at 40-60 fps with a single 980 TI? LOL good one homie. There are streamers who run the game @ 1440p on 1080 TI SLI (Lirik) and he has to even turn down his settings to get high fps. Its common knowledge that the game has optimization issues.

You might be the exception and not the rule here.

PUBG is really REALLY badly optimized.

Edit: I didnt even see "all max 4k". Holy fuck LOL. Seriously?

I don't want to detract from the thread, but I don't want to be accused of hyperbole when I accused another of the same thing, so...

Dunno what to tell you guys.
i7 3770 + 980ti runs the game just fine.
My roommate's 2600k + 980ti runs the game just fine.
My other roommate's 6500k + 1060 runs the game well over 60fps at 1080p.
His girlfriend's 7700k + 1080ti runs the game at 144fps at 1080p and well over 60fps at 4k.

It's not some perfectly-crafted specimen, but it's far from the horrible mess people make it out to be. The textures definitely take a while to load (like, Halo 2 style), the animations are bad, once every 15 matches or so the framerate can occasionally run anywhere from 200fps to 20fps (especially on non-US servers), and many other things. None of us stream, either, so I dunno how much of a hit that has on framerates. But to say that 1080ti's in SLI can't pull it off means there's something wrong on their end, not the game's. To be fair, I doubt the game benefits much from SLI, so that probably doesn't help, but even a single 1080ti should be able to run it just fine in 4k.

I'd be happy to show you guys, but I've asked before about proper recording software, and nobody has answered. FRAPS is the best choice I've found for 1-to-1 lossless recording, but it murders framerates. Bandicam and Shadowplay have terrible bitrates, so they defeat the purpose. I also just tried to record with Shadowplay for the hell of it, and it doesn't seem to be able to record properly at 4k resolutions, at least in PUBG.

Anyway, downloading Fortnite now. I can't stand the art style, so that's already detracting from the game, but I'll try to keep an open mind. I'll give the ole five-hour-ish test and see what I think.

Fake edit: Downloading at 22megs/second??? Not too shabby, Epic. Not too shabby. I remember downloading UT2k4 on my buddy's brand new 'broadband' at 500kbps and thinking that was impressive. I haven't played an Epic game on pc since then, so this should be quite an upgrade.

I'll post glorious 4k+ screenshots when it's installed. Maybe even some video if FRAPS will cooperate.

More edit: Eh... this game is significantly more arcadey than I expected, and changing the graphics doesn't seem to do anything at all. I can't even enable vsync. Think I'm gonna pass on this one, unfortunately.

It’s a cartoon version of PUBG with worse combat but interesting destruction mechanics. It’s also free and on consoles.

Of course this was going to be a hit. Let’s see if the community sticks around.

"Sir, they've combined PUBG with Minecraft, and made it a free-to-play game for all consoles and PC"

"When does it release?"

"Yesterday, sir"

smashed-computer.gif
Perfection.

4) It sure is interesting watching the subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at MS and Bluehole since a battle royale game is now on PS4. A lot of hurt feelings over a timed exclusive. And yet, I sense that if the shoe was on the other foot, invariably, a good number of responses would be different.

Sure, Jan.

Ploid 3.0

Really needs characters customization asap

I bet they are burning the midnight oil to get the game in a state where they are ready to start adding that stuff in. It's been two weeks since it was introduced, and it's getting a lot of attention now. I wouldn't be surprised if they are borrowing members from other games to help on this. People not vital to Epic's other projects I hope.

I bet they didn't plan to release it for all so soon. It could hurt or help, they are having a lot of sleepless night as a result though I'm betting.

Came in 1st for the first time in Squad with a Friend.

We matchmaked with 2 other random people, but I think I they left before we won because they died early on.

Their loss. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

They need to get this game on steam if they plan on competing with PUBG on PC. I have never heard of the epic launcher until this announcement lol.

Yeah this really needs to happen. Especially since it advertises the game for them. Really stubborn to have it on a separate app

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
So much hyperbole when Fortnite will never be a mere fraction of PUBG, lmao.

Can we say that for sure? I'm being serious here, we don't know what's going to happen in the future with this game. If Epic keep doing the good job that they are doing I can see this game do extremely well and maybe even possible the same numbers as PUBG or somewhat close. Not only that but he could have been talking about other games coming out with their own BG as well that could also compete with PUBG.

Edit: After reading the comment again I guess he did mean Fortnite but again I can see other successful companies put their own version of BR in their games.

How about we all just stop claiming dumb shit on both sides a day after release!

Lol yeah I think this would be for the best.

Yeah, I wonder about all the optimization comments. With a 7700k and 980 ti, I get a stable 70-90 fps with ultra settings at 1080p. At 4K I can get 60 with everything turned down.

The only thing I can think of is that it may be very cpu dependent. I’m overclocked to 4.7.

I downloaded this today to give it a try, and I love it! I'm actually surprised it's free. PUBG is good, and my friends love H1Z1, but I think Fortnight BR is my personal choice. I may have to get a founder's pack..

m29a

Neo Member
Burst may have been the wrong word, punctured is more like it. They'll have to actively fight to keep their players from leaking out now that there is a better viable alternative out.

It's not automatically a better alternative. Not everyone is into the building aspect.

Foxxsoxx

Man Battle Royale in the entire Ghost Recon map would be so awesome. I might check this out tho. It's free!

The game already doesn't run super well and it's filled with foliage so I only see it being a campers dream. Can't imagine the frame drops with everyone everywhere in that game.

rip PVE mode, at least i had a lot of fun with it while it lasted. I wish i liked BR games but it's just not for me. Anyway, congrats to the team on the success.

I still imagine Battle Royale mode as very boring with a lot of downtime and random shit that makes me rage. I enjoyed watching some PUBG games but never wanted to play it myself. But with this one being free I can at least try it out and see if I am right.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
This is what i think so far of both games:

Fortnite:

- It's free
- Map is smaller with 100 player count, allowing action to flow more easily. In PUBG you can reach the final circles without encountering anyone.
- The building aspect adds more depth to the gameplay.
- Artstyle is better than PUBG sterile environments.
- Way more optimized than PUBG.

PUBG:

- Gunplay feels better.
- First Person mode.
- Vehicles.
- Player customization.

N30RYU

Just deleted the game...

to reinstall it just to see if now it downloads with the "Fortnite Battle Royale" name and icon... still downloading but looks like it will be the same ase before.

Jawmuncher

Really needs characters customization asap

Like it's easy how they could get money off of this. ATM i'm guessing they think or some people will play this, like it, and buy a founder pack. But if they have no intention on ever playing the PvE mode they won't.

Next big update for Fortnite Battlegrounds needs to be vehicles, customization, and loot boxes for more customization gear. Just copy the PUBG format just without the keys. They'll be swimming in some money. Especially on PS4 where they have no competition atm.

Ascenion

I downloaded this today to give it a try, and I love it! I'm actually surprised it's free. PUBG is good, and my friends love H1Z1, but I think Fortnight BR is my personal choice. I may have to get a founder's pack..

Why would you get a founders pack? Actual Fortnite is nothing like Fortnite BR.

arimanius

Like it's easy how they could get money off of this. ATM i'm guessing they think or some people will play this, like it, and buy a founder pack. But if they have no intention on ever playing the PvE mode they won't.

Next big update for Fortnite Battlegrounds needs to be vehicles, customization, and loot boxes for more customization gear. Just copy the PUBG format just without the keys. They'll be swimming in some money. Especially on PS4 where they have no competition atm.

There's no vehicles in the PvE version plus the map is to small. They would need to make a bigger map along side vehicles. Everything else you mentioned should be easy plus the PvE already had loot lamas. Just bring them over to the BR mode.

Just deleted the game...

to reinstall it just to see if now it downloads with the "Fortnite Battle Royale" name and icon... still downloading but looks like it will be the same ase before.

You can download the standalone Fortnite Battle Royale if that's what you want.

Card Boy

Banned
PUBG runs at like 15 FPS on Very Low on my machine despite meeting the minimum specs. This runs like butter. This wins for me.

Head.spawn

PUBG's bubble was bound to burst eventually, I expected it would be the dev's fault too.

I guess their fault for partnering with Epic and using their engine maybe.

They realistically couldn't have seen the idea coming that the company they're paying money to license their engine was secretly at work copping their gameplay idea while working face to face on tackling engine optimizations with them.

Top Bottom