• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite passes 7 million players. Adds 6 million players in less than 2 months

Its doing well on twitch. 20k right now. PUBG in comparison is 100k right now. All im saying is that 7m, or 10m can be a little misleading when it comes to "players played" vs "Numbers sold".

It's been higher than PUBG on occasion.

And these sold vs players conversations never really mean much. You see them pop up all the time but the way monetization works now days especially for online service games sold units isn't really the story in terms of revenue. Once Epic add micro's into the game they will earn more revenue from that than sold copies for PvE

Just watched my first stream, game looks great.

Wow at how much of the structure they took from PUBG though.

Will download soon.

Why does it suck for them? Thats entirely their fault. Nobody forced them to drag their feet on this

Wat? Developing ports takes time lol, you can't just slap the game onto Xbox infrastructure and go "Done".

PUBG will be fine, there's more than enough space on the console market for titles. Especially once the new map drops.

I was sold on the survival mode just messing around with building in Battle Royale. Ended up buying the Deluxe bundle. Totally worth it.

Tagyhag

I wonder if the regular Fortnite players are pissed. They're going to be left in the dust.

And they're the ones that paid money too lol.

Good lord, I feel bad for PUBG...

PUBG has 13 million players on one system, and they all paid money for it. I think it'll be fine.

Good lord, I feel bad for PUBG...

Do know they passed the 5-6 million mark way before Battle Royale. However, BR did add an additional 1-2 million and counting.

That said, yes I feel bad for PUBG, though they've made a lot of money in the past few months and should be contempt instead of salty. It's a blessing for a dev to get 1 million units sold these days.

I wonder if the regular Fortnite players are pissed. They're going to be left in the dust.

I'm hopeful that since Epic is far larger than Daybreak games, we won't get H1Z1 2.0 out of this because I really like base Fortnite.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm hopeful that since Epic is far larger than Daybreak games, we won't get H1Z1 2.0 out of this because I really like base Fortnite.

I am cautiously optimistic.

They're adding a new mode to PvE tomorrow: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/horde-bash-announce

The Horde Bash update is coming on Thursday, Oct. 5, and along with some enraged husks, it brings a new mode, new weapons, new Heroes, and more!

Part of it is that they actually built a separate PvP team when they wanted to take this on, so there's less incentive to cannibalize the whole PvE team.

Mikey Jr.

It is my go to game on ps4 every night.

Every night I end my day with around 3 or 4 full matches, preferably with a full squad. That's when fortnite really fucking shines. When you have an amazing team.

JABEE

Why does it suck for them? Thats entirely their fault. Nobody forced them to drag their feet on this

I have never played PUBG, but aren't they a much smaller studio than Epic? It's pretty easy to imagine why they were beat to the market. It took awhile for them to find a partner after they refined their gameplay systems in early access.

Mikey Jr.

They added 6 million players in a month and a half?

Daaaaaamn.

Funny how quick match making is for 100 people, and destiny 2 I could wait like 5 min for 8 people.

Fukuzatsu

Correct. The game was always planned to be f2p, but they put this part up f2p earlier than they were planning.

The other part (the survival campaign mode) is going f2p in early 2018.

Seems like a better idea, really. F2P games (at least on PS4) don't tend to require PS Plus to play multiplayer, and Battle Royale is the sort of game mode you want as many people in on as possible.

Tagyhag

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
I'm thinking about giving fortnite's PUBG mode a try on PS4.

How is it? Are the connections good? Does the gunplay work well?

Ploid 3.0

Here's a top 5 plays of last week. This guy usually does this for Paragon. 3 extra plays at the end. I like the first extra play, the last two were glitches or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3YVyczQmY

I hope Epic adds a replay and live spectating feature. If spectating can't happen at least add Paragon's replay system, with codes to post your replay on forums and such. That would make saving and showing off crazy plays easier.

Never even knew or cared for regular Fortnite. Remember being so indifferent and disappointed in hearing that Epic was working on a zombie co-op game.

Then bam, they add in Battle Royale.

Terrifyer

Banned
I'm happy theyre succeeding with this, but super unhappy that they made such a hard pivot. I spent money on and enjoyed the base game for a bit, but it is still ridiculously incomplete.

I get that they say the PvP teams and pve teams are separate, but the cadence of releases for pve is too slow to suggest it will be complete by 2018. Those developers could have been put on the pve experience to nail that first, but they obviously saw an opportunity to act quickly and beat pubg to console. It just sucks for people invested in the pve game, and it's ironic that the money they earned from the pve side is probably what has allowed them to go for such a wide f2p release without monetisation in place.

It's really fun and is already in a pretty good state this early in it's lifespan. I'll play more routinely when accomplishments and rewards are implemented and persist.

And these sold vs players conversations never really mean much. You see them pop up all the time but the way monetization works now days especially for online service games sold units isn't really the story in terms of revenue. Once Epic add micro's into the game they will earn more revenue from that than sold copies for PvE

Only time its been higher than PUBG is when they paid streamers to stream it. I am pretty sure Shroud and Lirik both had a sponsored stream and they pull like 70k people between them easily.

Having said that, Twitch numbers arent really an indicator of anything. Popular streamers will always push numbers for any games they play.

This is what i am saying. It is a ftp game. Its not about occasions. Its about how well it is sustained over a period of time.

"Players played" can be misleading and it always has been. What is the concurrent userbase, or active userbase is what you need to know

G-Bus

Banned
Having jest recently downloaded and played the battle Royale I am considering buying the starter pack and see what the rest is about. Think I could go for some zombie horde tower defense type thing.

Curious what the Outlook for the game is and just how much support will be coming

Hari Seldon

I tried it finally, it was fun enough but definitely super casual compared to PUBG, I doubt it will hold my interest like PUBG has, but it is pretty damn good for a free game.

Ploid 3.0

I wonder what the platform split is. I still haven't gotten to it due to requiring yet another launcher.

I'm always amazed at people having a hard time keeping up with too many game launchers on PC, the most flexible system to game on. Even if I didn't put shortcuts to launchers in a folder or something, I could put them in a game library (steam, or whatever) and it would start the light launcher anyway.

dDLbtXu.png

For remembering passwords, I already leave that to a app that makes complexed random passwords which make them easy to refresh and change every month or so (backing the passwords up is easy too).

I'm always amazed at people having a hard time keeping up with too many game launchers on PC, the most flexible system to game on. Even if I didn't put shortcuts to launchers in a folder or something, I could put them in a game library (steam, or whatever) and it would start the light launcher anyway.

For remembering passwords, I already leave that to a app that makes complexed random passwords which make them easy to refresh and change every month or so (backing the passwords up is easy too).
I don't have trouble keeping up, I literally just don't give a damn about installing extra hoops for only one game. Especially in this case where I already get my fill from pubg.

Ploid 3.0

Only time its been higher than PUBG is when they paid streamers to stream it. I am pretty sure Shroud and Lirik both had a sponsored stream and they pull like 70k people between them easily.

Having said that, Twitch numbers arent really an indicator of anything. Popular streamers will always push numbers for any games they play.

After the first day the streamers I watched said they were no longer sponsored and they were playing it for fun. They had to repeatedly say that if their title didn't have sponsored in it they were playing it because they wanted to (Shroud specifically). It did reach over PUBG when the heavy hitter streamers weren't being sponsored. It would take DrDisrespect, Lirik, and Shroud to etiher not be playing Pubg, or none on PUBG and one on Fortnite. Those dudes bring 30k people each, usually, to any game they play.

Not surprising at all, I totally suck at this game but it has some of the most tense moments that I've ever played at a multiplayer game. I absolutely love it and hope they add character customization in the future.

The PVE mode is good. I don't feel bad about the PVE mode at all. PVE sold 1mil at 40 dollars minimum, and I've seen a lot of people buy the 60 dollar bundle, and I've seen a lot of people running around with the higher tiers too. This 1mil player number for PVE they put out like a week or two after launch. It has probably increased since then. And they're not talking about in game microtransactions and the game is going f2p in 2018. I am fairly certain PVE is gonna be fine.

Top Bottom