• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Metfanant

The game was built with the drivatar AI in mind from the beginning. They thought up until the 180 everyone playing this game would connect at least once to download the initial AI from players (or right at launch, devs) and then connect more in its life to continue to download more of them.

Not that they couldn't have included some on the disc, but for a launch game this forced day one download so they can keep working on content till launch day is 100% ok imo... After launch is another story.

yes, i understand...i simply want to point out something that i saw people who were defending the certification process were glossing over...

AIWTE6k.gif

I love you for having this in gif form. One of my favorite shows growing up. So glad it's on Netflix now.

how would the career mode function if you are missing tracks? they just arent included?

Come on. Its not that hard. Just put the tracks, that are finished on the disc, and then when the missing ones should show up make a notification that they are bundled with a free DLC.

Besides I really doubt that in these 4-6 weeks they will develop more than 2 or 3 new tracks.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Come on. Its not that hard. Just put the tracks, that are finished on the disc, and then when the missing ones should show up make a notification that they are bundled with a free DLC.

Besides I really doubt that in these 4-6 weeks they will develop more than 2 or 3 new tracks.

so, entire race events couldnt be completed without the dlc. the game couldnt be completed without the dlc. thats a solution?

Somnia

yes, i understand...i simply want to point out something that i saw people who were defending the certification process were glossing over...

I don't think we were glossing over it. We just understand that this close to launch they aren't going to redo their entire AI system. Their whole plan was to have AI change on a daily basis and become more real by pulling the community data to change things in real time. They can't rely on that for all people now.

I can see how this is a problem to a lot of people, but for a launch day game I am ok with this. Possibly launch window, after spring of 2014 though it'll be inexcusable unless you're an online only game like Destiny, etc. In my opinion.

Naked Lunch

This is essentially saying: "We're not releasing a complete game. We're completing a game, at release".

It's fucking horrible. This generation hasn't even begun and already has shitty practices.

For those saying this isn't a problem. It is. Most day one patches fix stuff, but the game should be playable (unless it's Skyrim on PS3), without this patch, you cannot play at all.

If you can't get your game ready at launch, then fucking delay it for fuck's sake. If people have a shitty internet, should they put up with a 2-5GB download?
Still not seeing the problem. Last gen games like Battlefield 3 followed the same mold. Release game and update (ie: support) said game for the long, long, long haul. Simple as that. If you dont have an internet connection these days might as well just stick with old school gaming.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This seems like an extremely bizarre strategy. I'm even a little baffled at how and why it needs to work like this.

Megasoum

Banned
I love you for having this in gif form. One of my favorite shows growing up. So glad it's on Netflix now.

Haha, I'm from Montreal so I didn't exactly grow up with it but discovered it a couple of years ago. Everytime I go visit my parents I always watch a couple of episodes of Keeping Up and Golden Girls with my father lol... He DVR ALL the episodes 24/7 lol.

Karak

I am getting this day one digital so I won't notice. But its a odd choice. Seems like they are scrambling. Expected for the first couple months I guess.

so, entire race events couldnt be completed without the dlc. the game couldnt be completed without the dlc. thats a solution?

Right now you cant even play the Game without the DLC...

Better having 95% of the Game without being online, than having 0% of it...

op_ivy

Right now you cant even play the Game without the DLC...

and your solution isnt adequate. they are doing the best they can with plans being altered from the 180. the best they can is also affording us more content in the game then would be possible if they werent doing this AT SYSTEM LAUNCH (which of course is HUGE)

jim2011

Better that we have devs working on polishing the game til the second its out than some of the buggy games we got this generation.

So when you buy your shiney new X1 one with forza, you have to

Download a day 1 patch to play offline

Download a day one patch to play your game.

the same time as up to 2 million other players.

And people shitted on the WiiU launch.

That said, if this an isolated thing, it really isnt the biggest deal. but if this becomes a trend....

its still better than not being able to play the game for people who do not want to connect online or not no connection.

spwolf

So when you buy your shiney new X1 one with forza, you have to

Download a day 1 patch to play offline

Download a day one patch to play your game.

the same time as up to 2 million other players.

And people shitted on the WiiU launch.

That said, if this an isolated thing, it really isnt the biggest deal. but if this becomes a trend....

it seems that those rumors about delayed development were true... i doubt it will happen a lot later on, but it may happen to a lot of day 1 games.

Mrbob

I did the phone interview with Dan Greenawalt and wrote this story and, IMO, this is 100% about getting every last second in order to get a AAA launch game shipped on time. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it has nothing to do with DRM or screwing users in some way as it does getting that extra 4-6 weeks to work on the game that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten had they been forced to ship entirely on disc.

While I don't doubt the intent is true, what reaction did you expect when a disc based game requires a download of content to function?

This isn't just a case of "Hey, let us reward the hardcore day one buyers with some more content for launch!" The game doesn't function without the download.

Cess007

Still not seeing the problem. Last gen games like Battlefield 3 followed the same mold. Release game and update (ie: support) said game for the long, long, long haul. Simple as that. If you dont have an internet connection these days might as well just stick with old school gaming.

I'm pretty sure that the first time i downloaded Battlefield 3 on PS3, i could skip the 2Gigs update and just play offline.
Seems, that this time, even if someone just wants to play the career, they will still have to sit through an update due being obligatory for the game to even work. The only difference is that MS has a better record about their speed downloading stuff in their network than Sony.

Can't wait for the server meltdowns...

Damn, didn't even think of that. I hope servers don't crash with all people trying to download the (huge?) update the first day.

op_ivy

i could see it being a trend for launch titles. every other game not launching with the console can set their own timelines to be complete. they'll also have a bit more time to change any plans they may have had that delt with the original xbone always online plan.

It's already a trend on 360/PS3, don't see why it would be any different on the new consoles.

What is with this new gaf trend of just pretending like current gen never happened?

Outside of Steam sales I buy around 3-4 new games a year, so maybe you guys have more experience with this than I do, but which games this generation have been released in a completely broken and unplayable state? And I don't mean day one bugs or anything like that, we're talking about a racing game that doesn't come with any cars or tracks here.

Garjon

I wouldn't have a problem with a big day one patch, but this quote:

[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in

I mean, the [But] is obviously an edit so it could be nothing at all but if it isn't, forcing a day one patch is like telling a significant number of potential customers to not buy the game.

op_ivy

its still better than not being able to play the game for people who do not want to connect online or not no connection.

if you cant connect at all, you wont have a xbone as we've already learned the system itself needs a day one patch. non-issue

Cels

am I understanding this right? if you don't login and download whatever they want you to download you won't be able to actually play any of the game?

this is not like XBL automatically downloading a patch when you load a game, and you canceling the patch to proceed to the game right away?

bud

In an interview with IGN, Dan Greenawalt, the studio head at Forza developer Turn 10 Studios, clarified how their day-one racing game will work if your Xbox One isn’t connected to Xbox Live.

so how exactly will it work, then, if you're not connected to xbox live? am i misreading something here?

This doesn't sound like a patch or DLC... it's like half the game needs to be downloaded that is required to play from what i'm reading and if so, what in the world??

Teletraan1

Banned
So the goalpost has been moved to Always Online during the initial install.

Sounds shady. I obviously wont be getting boned at launch but it will be interesting to see if this is a continued trend or just a case of a launch game needing more time in the oven while not having the time to react to the 180.

So their revolutionary approach is making us waste bandwidth on the game's missing bits and pieces, rather than put them on the disc? Jesus Christ.

How exactly would you "waste bandwidth"? I understand some service providers charge extra for going over a certain data amount, but I can't imagine a dlc that is probably going to be a few gigs at most is going to prevent you from doing anything you would routinely do.

Ryan_IGN

While I don't doubt the intent is true, what reaction did you expect when a disc based game requires a download of content to function?

This isn't just a case of "Hey, let us get the users some more content for launch!" The game doesn't function without the download.

Oh I don't really care what the reaction is, I'm just reporting what Greenawalt told me. My post here was to try and get people to look at it beyond the usual GAF "MS suxxxx!" overreaction.

If Sony does the same thing with its games I'm not going to care either, because my PS4 will be connected all the time -- as will most of GAF, I imagine. Yet people moan and complain anyway.

Naked Lunch

I'm pretty sure that the first time i downloaded Battlefield 3 on PS3, i could skip the 2Gigs update and just play offline.
Have fun with that.

The future is constantly updated content - esp for online central games like Battlefield or Forza. The days of one and done are over. I applaud devs sticking with projects and adding more life into games. Last gen BF3 is the perfect example of this.

Seanspeed

Banned
What happened to Turn 10? They're a bunch of BS'ers nowadays. They even had a video before where they said this would NOT be a rushed product and they were more experienced and could create the game they wanted to now.

Its a load of crap.

They went from contenders for 'Developer of the Year' to this. Its sad.

I'm sure Forza 5 will still be the premiere racing game for quite a while, but this just reeks of a rushed product in order to have something good for launch.

I suppose I should really blame Microsoft. Its probably entirely their doing.

"Hey Turn 10, I know y'all have been working on this game for a while and want it to be great, but we need it a year earlier now."

"Well we're seriously short on content at the moment, so why?"

"For launch. Competition with the PS4 is going to be stiff and we need every weapon/name we can get to start strong."

"Like I said, we're lacking content and features right now, its not going to be all it could be."

"We'll just have to deal with that."

Top Bottom