• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O’Connor: "There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC."

Chris1

Doubt it.

- No xbox live money
- Its halo
- Do they want their console to succeed? judging by the price cuts, I'd say yes.

I think we're likely to see F2P games, games that flop & they need to recoup money or single player games go to PC, but not games that are heavy multiplayer focused.

If Halo etc goes to PC I'll get a PS5 next gen, I see no reason to own an xbox and pay for xbox live when they're on PC and MP for free.

thelastword

Banned
There's no MCC on PC yet and these guys are talking about the possibility of Halo5, who are they trying to fool, if MCC was on PC or announced for that platform, then this would be at least half-way-believable.....

BokehKing

Banned
Six pages for the same noncommittal answer I give every time that question is asked...
Maaaaan don't use words like "plenty" in the future

Plenty = false hope

11415479.gif

Especially when you know it will never go to PC

Matthew23

Seems to me it would be in Microsoft's best interest to deter hope of Xbox One exclusives coming to PC in order to increase interest in their console (unless they actually plan on following through with it). I don't see what they gain from deception here. It's not like the world is going to switch to Mac if Halo doesn't come to PC.

As a PC only gamer I would love to see a port of Halo 5 but the MCC would be much preferred. I don't care about the mp problems, I just want to play those campaigns.

Teeth

I feel like there's probably a lot of internal talks about bringing the games over, because there's no benefit to them just stringing people along otherwise.

If they wanted to maximize Halo sales right now, they would just blanket say, "Halo is not coming to PC for the foreseeable future."

Saying MAYBE(!) doesn't benefit them in any way. If they are going to, it's a neutral statement. If they aren't, there's a small subsection that won't buy an XB1 because they'll wait for it to come to PC and will feel burned when it doesn't.

I feel like they probably want to, but various things dissuade them.

Lazaro

This been posted yet?

Aaron Greenberg (Microsoft Xbox Marketing leader) says Halo 5 is exclusive to Xbox.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/657582106042732544[/tweet]

Nevadatan

This been posted yet?

Aaron Greenberg (Microsoft Xbox Marketing leader) says Halo 5 is exclusive to Xbox.

weren't Halo and Halo 2 also "exclusives"?
hell they even featured the "only on Xbox" on their covers.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
About the same chance of Uncharted 4 and Zelda landing on the PC. I'll believe it when I see it. MS is trying to sell XB1's I don't see this happening at all.

Nevadatan

About the same chance of Uncharted 4 and Zelda landing on the PC. I'll believe it when I see it. MS is trying to sell XB1's I don't see this happening at all.

Bad comparison, Uncharted 1 and 2 or Zelda 1 and 2 are not on PC, whereas Halo 1 and Halo 2 ARE on PC.

dr_rus

This been posted yet?

For now officially it is. They also support Windows gaming and 640KB of RAM is enough for everything.

CryptiK

Halo is the only big thing Xbox has going for it. Why would they put that else where and make their console and live sales worse. Also Microsoft and commitment to PC? lmao we have got a wireless dongle for the controller and have a free to play game coming huge commitment there. Just a whole lot of bait in that quote.

Kssio_Aug

I don't think Frank meant to say it was being developed or it is in their palns. I believe he meant that it would be likely to happen in the future if Xbox One and Windows 10 integrates each other (and I think that may be the case for next-gen Xbox).

By now I don't think it would make any sense. Windows 10 doesn't need Halo 5, however Xbox One does!

In my opinion it was an equivocated statement from him though! Microsoft is in no position to put Xbox One exclusivities on doubts right now. So that was bound to happen... these kind of statements are pure fuel for console warriors and (probably) false expectations.

Man

Wonder if this is tied up with Microsoft shifting focus to Xbox Live memberships in contrast to consoles shipped beginning this quarter?

Windows 10 powered WinBox/Machine w/yearly updates (as competition to SteamMachines and consoles in general) to replace Xbox?

deadman69

I don't think Frank meant to say it was being developed or it is in their palns. I believe he meant that it would be likely to happen in the future if Xbox One and Windows 10 integrates each other (and I think that may be the case for next-gen Xbox).

By now I don't think it would make any sense. Windows 10 doesn't need Halo 5, however Xbox One does!

In my opinion it was an equivocated statement from him though! Microsoft is in no position to put Xbox One exclusivities on doubts right now. So that was bound to happen... these kind of statements are pure fuel for console warriors and (probably) false expectations.
the windows 10 store seriously needs something.

The only way I think MS would make Halo on PC is if the is done way to make PC users suscribe to Xbox live Gold. They may reduce the cost and offer cross buy Xbox/PC with GwG and lock Halo to Live.
MS wants to sell Azure and Windows, if you play a W10 Halo using the Xbox live service, I don't think they care which platform you use, in the long term. I suppose in the short term the wasn't to sell more boxes.

Wonder if this is tied up with Microsoft shifting focus to Xbox Live memberships in contrast to consoles shipped beginning this quarter?

Windows 10 powered WinBox/Machine w/yearly updates (as competition to SteamMachines and consoles in general) to replace Xbox?
yes, I think that's the future of Xbox for MS. I think they want PC manufacturers to make W10 set top boxes that will ship with a Xbox live distribution platform. But O don't know how they are going to justify the gold subscription, probably with GwG.

Cmagus

the windows 10 store seriously needs something.

They really need to add more things. Unfortunately it'll never take off if they aren't willing to have games on both platforms. Problem is if they do that no one is gonna buy an Xbox One. I was actually just looking through the windows store at what games there are and it's not much.

I created a gamertag the other day with Minecraft Windows 10 and it was fun earning achievements and what not on PC but I mean Minecraft is pretty much the only game at this point.

Maybe once games stop selling on Xbox One they will bring more games to PC to get another boost in sales but that would be the only time I could see this happening. I'd buy a game like Sunset Overdrive if it ever came to PC.

C4Lukins

This goes along with the whole "We are focusing on xbl" and not selling XBoxes.

I still find it hard to believe. I remember the original Gears being sold on PC, with an additional act and nobody bought it. Just complete disinterest. The very idea of PC gamers getting console leftovers is horrifying to them.

Name a successful console exclusive, that later became a huge success on PC? Not it sold sort of well and justified the port, a legit hit.

Verendus

Banned
Où est ton papa?
Dis-moi où est ton papa!
Sans même devoir lui parler,
Il sait ce qu'il ne va pas.
Ah sacré papa!
Dis moi où es-tu caché!
Ça doit
Faire au moins mille fois que j'ai
Compté mes doigts
Hé!

Où t'es? Papaoutai?
Où t'es? Papaoutai?
Où t'es? Papaoutai?
Outai outai où
papaoutai?

I still find it hard to believe. I remember the original Gears being sold on PC, with an additional act and nobody bought it. Just complete disinterest. The very idea of PC gamers getting console leftovers is horrifying to them.

Could have fooled me with all the port begging and threads regarding console ports around here.

Not dogging the people who do it, but PC gamers seem more than happy to take any decently ported console games nowadays. I was amazed to get Valk. Chronicles personally.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sounds like the guy just misspoke. I don't even know that I would buy it if it came to PC tbh.

Name a successful console exclusive, that later became a huge success on PC? Not it sold sort of well and justified the port, a legit hit.

http://steamspy.com/app/211420

Pudge

247.gif

I really hate that they keep stringing people along with this line when they have no intention of bringing any Halo games to PC outside of Russia. Just say it's an Xbox exclusive! That's what it is! We all know this!

Frankie Frank, please, even though I own an XBO, don't tease me so. I've been following your antics since UGP and I know you love shenanigans.

*wags finger*

Keep it up.

LewieP

It was a retail only release, saddled with GFWL, and required the extremely unpopular Windows Vista.

Had the release been handled better, it would have sold far more.

The intent of the release of Gears of War PC was not to sell as many copies as possible, but to get people using GFWL and Vista.

Oscar

Would not make sense strategically for them unless it somehow has lackluster sales on X1.

I loved Halo CE on PC though, dem custom maps.

LordAmused

Où est ton papa?
Dis-moi où est ton papa!
Sans même devoir lui parler,
Il sait ce qu'il ne va pas.
Ah sacré papa!
Dis moi où es-tu caché!
Ça doit
Faire au moins mille fois que j'ai
Compté mes doigts
Hé!

Où t'es? Papaoutai?
Où t'es? Papaoutai?
Où t'es? Papaoutai?
Outai outai où
papaoutai?

HAHA! This song. I'm glad it doesn't play on the radio as much as last year...

KingBroly

Banned
It'd be nice if they brought Halo 5 to PC...but it'd be nice if they brought other stuff too.

But I think we know it'd all be Windows Store only.

Toki767

It would seem silly to say it might come to PC if you had no plans at all to put it on PC when the logical thing to say would be if you want to play it for sure, buy an Xbox One.

KR_remix

It was a retail only release, saddled with GFWL, and required the extremely unpopular Windows Vista.

Had the release been handled better, it would have sold far more.

The intent of the release of Gears of War PC was not to sell as many copies as possible, but to get people using GFWL and Vista.

It was also broken on launch, really regret getting it when it came out.

fatalexe

PC users don't even get to "Finish the Fight" without Halo 3...

They should have just stopped after releasing Halo 1, but they went ahead and released Halo 2 Vista which was crap and buggy.. and the story ended with a cliffhanger.

I'm still waiting for Halo 3 PC. I managed to remain largely unspoiled for the story so its not true that Halo doesn't have a fanbase on PC. Just look at the complete campaign HD remake for Halo 1 PC made by the amazing CMT modding team and you will find that there is a fanbase for Halo.

This been posted yet?

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/657582106042732544

Aaron Greenberg: Halo 5: Guardians “Is Being Made Exclusively for Xbox One”

"Thanks I am relieved I hope that some titles like Halo, Gears and Quantum Break will remain exclusive to the Xbox brand"

Are these people fucking their xbox thermal exhausts? What is wrong with people?!

"Thanks I am relieved I hope that some titles like Halo, Gears and Quantum Break will remain exclusive to the Xbox brand"

Are these people fucking their xbox thermal exhausts? What is wrong with people?!

Lol, I was just about to post that comment...I don't get some people people but whatever

It's a fucking war out there man! You don't just throw away ammunition.

I can understand them not wanting their brand diminished, but there isn't much of a reason for them to feel this way. I had to stop visiting the X1 Reddit way back because they'd downvote me to shit anytime I'd imply that there was the slightest possibility of an X1 game going to PC.

Why any gamer would want to hold back good games from other gamers is beyond me.

Top Bottom