• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O’Connor: "There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC."

I actually do think it will come to PC because I think Phil Spencer is trying to shift the focus away from petty console wars into a landscape that focuses on Xbox Live and selling their software to the largest potential install base as possible. I think they are taking baby steps towards that direction now in hopes of going full throttle next generation.

Kezen

Banned
Nah, Gears Ultimate, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and this Hlo 5 if it comes will be Win 10 exclusive...meaning sold in the Windows Store.

ROTTR is coming to Steam (published by Square Enix), not Gears and any MS published future games I suppose.

It would be suicide for the Xbone. If they do this I would sell mine, gives the impression that all of their exclusives will come to win10. So might as well get a new PC.

Trup1aya

Because compared to them we are the minority and they are the better representation of the casual fan base?

I don't think ANY gaming forum is representative of the casual fan base...

It would be suicide for the Xbone. If they do this I would sell mine, gives the impression that all of their exclusives will come to win10. So might as well get a new PC.

Presumably you'd sell it to someone who then uses it to buy and play Xbox games, then MS would make money off of the software license when you buy your new PC... And then more money when you buy your PC copy of Halo.

They'd now have two customers buying MS software when they previously had one... How is that suicide?

Some people despise Microsoft ,yet would still get the game on a Windows pc. I'm not a genius, but doesn't it sound smart to release it on Windows 10?

Exactly what I was thinking. So many people base success\failure on individual console sales which is why you hear a lot of people dismiss this idea because it will hurt Xbox One sales. They probably would take a hit in console sales but they will drastically increase potential sales base and Live traffic.

I think they know they have it in their armory. I would hazard a guess that MCC will come at some point in 2016, with Halo 5 following either late 2016 or early 2017.

Just a hunch, nothing more.

Jeremy

I don't think ANY gaming forum is representative of the casual fan base...

The best metric for casual gaming is YouTube comments.

Are we all really assuming that the casual gamer is about to switch to PC gaming en masse if Microsoft brings games to PC? Y'all delusional.

Trup1aya

The best metric for casual gaming is YouTube comments.

Are we all really assuming that the casual gamer is about to switch to PC gaming en masse if Microsoft brings games to PC? Y'all delusional.

Yes this is what people are implying... And it makes absolutely no sense...

MCC was broken at it's core because the task of porting 4 entire games to newer, more powerful hardware, all on one .exe, at a framerate double that of which they were initially built to run at, in a higher internal rendering resolution, with 4 different network systems being able to launch one of the multiple different engines at the flip of a switch was a fucking Herculean task that should have never been attempted.

Now you want all that again, but with unlimited framerate targets, on a platform where every single system it has to run and perform well on is different from the other, and expect something like that to release anywhere within the next three years?

Zero chance.

Even if they did, not enough people would buy it to please the MS overlords. They haven't had a Halo game on PC since 2 so anyone who wants to follow the story is screwed.

Exactly what I was thinking. So many people base success\failure on individual console sales which is why you hear a lot of people dismiss this idea because it will hurt Xbox One sales. They probably would take a hit in console sales but they will drastically increase potential sales base and Live traffic.

I think it's a smart choice. These consoles are a joke. They can barely run games at 1080p and 60fps. If I were Phil I would kill xbox and focus on the Windows pc. There wouldn't be a console war though :( Digital foundry threads would be great. Windows pc vs ps5. lmao

Gamezone

Gold Member
Probably won`t reach Steam. Looks like wants to tie their games to Xbox achievements, and they probably can`t do that with Steam.

LordOfChaos

PLENTY OF WAT

Please make this happen. I'd buy Halo 5 twice to play in higher fixed res and cranking the AA.

The question would be how many years after the XBO release though.

Probably won`t reach Steam. Looks like wants to tie their games to Xbox achievements, and they probably can`t do that with Steam.
The smart thing to do would be to offer a digital copy on both Windows and Xbone via your MS account and just sync your achievements. That way it's a $60 purchase and you're covered on two systems, and still have to pay for multiplayer on one.

Nzyme32

Halo 1 and 2 are the only interesting ones to me anyway, so I don't particularly care if it does or doesn't come out

The achievement system is definitely not the reason why something like this wouldn't come to Steam. GFWL games with their own achievements are on Steam, as well as other games that have separate achievement systems. If MS stops bringing their releases to Steam it will be because they have their own store on Windows and they want to drive people there for obvious reasons.

Heigic

Microsoft's quarterly report also means this is going to going to happen. If the success of Xbox is determined by Xbox Live usage rather than console sales this would be the easiest way to increase that number.

belmonkey

Would a high profile game like this do well if it was exclusive to their Windows store on PC? I just can't imagine any game doing well if it only releases there and not on Steam.

Also we need MCC first if we're getting Halo games at all.

Bolivar687

Banned
I can't imagine there's much overlap between prospective Xbox One owners and PC gaming enthusiasts. Most of the target demographic for Halo do not have PCs capable of running it, nor are they interested in building their own, much less paying the premium for a premade gaming rig. I think they're leaving money on the table by not pursuing this.

watership

Halo was made for Mac initially though. And then Xbox which was essentially an off the shelf PC.

This was never the case, it was just shown at a apple conference first. At that time, Bungie had been a pc/mac/console developer. Many at Bungie have come out over the years and said it was being developed on pcs.

dr_rus

Nah, Gears Ultimate, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and this Halo 5 if it comes will be Win 10 exclusive...meaning sold in the Windows Store.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be published by SE and it was funded by SE so there is no way it's not coming to Steam. The rest of them - sure, WinStore only.

BokehKing

Banned
Has Stinkles posted in here yet?
Nothing gives you ajeda in the morning like a multi page thread with your government name in the title and an over analyzed quote ...especially in the shadow of the biggest release of his life coming up

JaggedSac

The smart thing to do would be to offer a digital copy on both Windows and Xbone via your MS account and just sync your achievements. That way it's a $60 purchase and you're covered on two systems, and still have to pay for multiplayer on one.

That is certainly the end goal. Whether or not pubs would agree to that with their games is another story.

That is why I said it would be WinStore exclusive, which is still PC, just not the beloved Steam.

I'll never get the love for steam. I hate every store/client equally the same. Steam is great if you enjoy updates every time you start your pc. Their refund system is sweat as shit though.

Kezen

Banned
it'll happen. whatever it takes to promote Win 10

Windows 10 is already a success, it does not need Xbone exclusives.
The Windows 10 store however would certainly benefit from some higher end games, you have to start somewhere.

I would buy all of them again on pc. And furthermore I think its a good idea for Microsoft to this. Bring 'em on.

currently own;
xbox - halo ce; halo 2
pc - halo ce; halo 2
360 - halo 3; odst; reach; halo 4; halo wars
xo - MCC; halo 5

Would still buy them again.

Nevadatan

ugh not this again..
didnt they said the same about 3 and Reach years ago? and then the whole thing about the games being listed briefly on SteamDB...

yeah i would love the idea of having Halo 5 on PC topped MSAXX8 but seriously all this time waiting for Halo 3 its indeed becoming ridiculous.

with the recent dev leak of Halo Online, which become a full functional multiplayer game in less than 2 months, its clear than PC is ready for Halo again.

If people haven't bought an XBox One for Halo already or within the next couple months they're probably not going to by the time MS could possibly bring it over as a "Windows 10 exclusive" on PC. There's still a somewhat sizable potential PC audience who might not want to buy an XBO but could have an interest in Halo. It's money Microsoft could be leaving on the table.

Top Bottom