• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software has 3 internal projects: 1 ARPG ala DS, 1 reboot & 1 new IP

Cess007

Miyzaki's personally wants to make a mixture of fantasy and mech, something like The Vision of Escaflowne

OMFZ

1339605827_excited_fan.gif

Yes pleas, yes! DO IT Miyazaki!

All sounds good to me.

I'm really excited about anything new From will put out quite frankly. They're on such a winning streak for me, it's ridiculous.

ARPG with dark fantasy setting but different approach to Souls sounds really interesting to me for obvious reasons.

New IP...bring it, can't wait.

Basically, I'll play anything they touch right now.

I'm not arguing semantics. I can only respond to the wording of what you post, as I am not a mind reader.

It's possible it's not BB2, but you certainly haven't convinced me.
ARPG with dark fantasy setting similar to dark souls
So not a sequel
And the bolded statement can be taken two ways.
It's a game with a dark fantasy setting, setting being similar to dark souls
Or its a dark fantasy game and its similar to dark souls in the way that all souls games are similar to each other. But I'm going to assume the former, the settings of dark souls and Bloodborne are quite different also meaning it's not Bloodborne. Had it had any relation to Bloodborne I'd imagine the game wouldve at least been used in reference in the same way Dark Souls is being used as a reference, but its not and all of the above combined with the fact that Miyazaki has stated his disinterest in making things he's already done (or rather has said he's pretty much only interested in doing something new)
All of these things lead me to believe that there won't be a Bloodborne sequel and I personally believe that to be a better desicion.

Pejo

Gold Member
This is fucking awesome news. I was hoping TGS would have info on any of this projects, but this is a good start.

What I want from the reboot, in order:

-Tenchu
-Otagi
-Armored Core
-Ninja Blade (yes I liked it, QTEs and all)
-Metal Wolf Chaos (never played it, but sounds fun)

Really excited to see what the new IP is too.

NateDog

While I am a big FS fan I'm not as much of a fanboy as some here. But a new Armoured Core and something a little different to Dark Souls but in it's style sound good to me. Of course it depends on what style the latter is but I have faith in FS.

finalflame

The fact we're probably not getting Bloodborne 2 makes me sad, but the thought of FROM doing anything makes me happy, so. Hopefully we get to see some concrete info soon.

Shengar

Miyazaki started his directing career with AC IIRC, so this should be good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, since Miyazaki have full reign on Fromsoft now, don't expect future game to feature direct sequel (AC could be an exception). It's clear from all of his original games that his directing style is to make every game to be self contained. Dark Souls 2 is clearly something he doesn't expected and so he ended it quick with 3. There could something like Bloodborne 2, but most probably the story will be vastly different.

Some Nobody

Miyazaki's outright saying he's done with sequels for now and people are arguing whether BB2 is the next game? Okay then.

What's a bummer is that he can't do this Escaflowne-type game, as that sounds way more interesting to me.

This thread is all over the place.

What has actually been confirmed and what is still speculation?

The only confirme thing is Armored Core. The other two games are still a mystery.

I know many people didn't play Otogi, but if they talk about something like Souls + ARPG my best bet would be a new Otogi. The dodge in Bloodborne is basically the Otogi dodge with shorter range. Also, You level up in Otogi and you have different characters with different stats and attributes. If they make a new one, they basically can add Bloodborne like mechanics and you'll have your Ancient Japan Souls. Plus Miyazaki mentioned in an interview he wanted to make a new Otogi...

Otogi has to happen.

Miyazaki's outright saying he's done with sequels for now and people are arguing whether BB2 is the next game? Okay then.

What's a bummer is that he can't do this Escaflowne-type game, as that sounds way more interesting to me.
"If I wish real hard it HAS to happen right? I mean but it made so much money!!!"

Otogi sounds good but then there's also Nioh so maybe avoid that scene entirely and do something no one else is doing in terms of setting.

I'm kind of hoping this is the case. Similar combat mechanics but a different setting and story.
Then it wouldn't even be Bloodborne. It would be a new IP in the same way Demons Souls and Dark Souls are different games.
Either way Bloodborne's story is complete and ended fairly definitively while also expanding on its backstory and the jig is up regarding where the blood came from. There's 0 reason to revisit the game.

Well Miyazaki worked on DS3 and it was actually worse than DS2. You can tell that guy is fatigued after all these games. Good thing he is high up in From Soft so he can basically do what he wants.
Lol....the hyperbole never ends over here.

There could something like Bloodborne 2, but most probably the story will be vastly different.

I'm kind of hoping this is the case. Similar combat mechanics but a different setting and story.

Call it Bloodborne 2 or call it something else. Just don't abandon those sweet, sweet transforming weapons and fast-action combat after only one game.

Miyazaki's outright saying he's done with sequels

Says he's done with sequels.

Works on new Armored Core.

lol

I wouldn't take everything Miyazaki says at face-value. This can actually be applied to pretty much anyone in the video game industry.

Then it wouldn't even be Bloodborne. It would be a new IP in the same way Demons Souls and Dark Souls are different games.

Goreborne
VitalFluidborne
Redborne

Gimme gimme that spiritual successor.

HeelPower

I'd like a survival horror in third person by Miyazaki.

I'd like it to be in a setting similar to the original RE1-3 games.

Nags

Banned
DS4 is definetly possible. Maybe even not years away. But I doubt Miyazaki will be involved. He seemed tired of DS and wants to direct something else. It would be another director (which would result in half of GAF going crazy how bad the game is, and how it's a 1/10 compared to the Miyazaki games). DS2 is one of my most beloved entries to the franchise though, so I say bring it on.

Well Miyazaki worked on DS3 and it was actually worse than DS2. You can tell that guy is fatigued after all these games. Good thing he is high up in From Soft so he can basically do what he wants.

Some Nobody

lol

I wouldn't take everything Miyazaki says at face-value. This can actually be applied to pretty much anyone in the video game industry.

The Armored Core thing might very well be a lie. And you'll basically be saying this same thing if he reveals all three games and one's an armored core but there's no BB2 in sight. But there's a difference in reviving something that's been dead for years and creating a sequel to a game that you've basically been doing for the past four years.

The Armored Core thing might very well be a lie. And you'll basically be saying this same thing if he reveals all three games and one's an armored core but there's no BB2 in sight. But there's a difference in reviving something that's been dead for years and creating a sequel to a game that you've basically been doing for the past four years.

Four years? Try seven.

And the last Armored Core is only three years old. That's not a dead franchise. So if it's in development, the Big M is clearly fine with doin' sequels.

Except, he actually said he was done with Dark Souls sequels.

Sweet, so Bloodborne 2's back on the table!

Nags

Banned
As others have mentioned, A bloodborne sequel just wouldn't make sense. It would have to be a spiritual successor much like Demon's to Dark.

New world, new story, with similar combat.

Call it Bloodborne 2 or call it something else. Just don't abandon those sweet, sweet transforming weapons and fast-action combat after only one game.

lol

Goreborne
VitalFluidborne
Redborne

Gimme gimme that spiritual successor.

Except, he actually said he was done with Dark Souls sequels.

autoduelist

As others have mentioned, A bloodborne sequel just wouldn't make sense. It would have to be a spiritual successor much like Demon's to Dark.

New world, new story, with similar combat.

Maybe? Just change the time period 500 years in either direction and anything can happen.

Four years? Try seven.

And the last Armored Core is only three years old. That's not a dead franchise. So if it's in development, the Big M is clearly fine with doin' sequels.

Sweet, so Bloodborne 2's back on the table!

Come on, Bloodborne is part of the souls series. They are not making BB2.

Maybe? Just change the time period 500 years in either direction and anything can happen.
Which removes the setting and appeal of Bloodborne and at that point you either have Dark Souls or a modern day/post future game, so what's the point of keeping it under the Bloodborne IP? If you go forward there's nothing to explore in connection to Bloodborne and if you go backwards then you've removed the combat system of Bloodborne.
Come on, Bloodborne is part of the souls series. They are not making BB2.
Miyazaki said two things.
He's definitively done with making Dark Souls
After 3 and that he's only interested in making new things. I have absolutely no doubt that the first thing in the OP is a new souls game in the way that Bloodborne Is a souls game in all but name, but he specifically meant dark souls when asked to elaborate.

It is most definitely not, if you actually played you would know that.
Arguably there is no "souls series" there are three similar games and two of them happen to end in souls but they all share enough similarities to be grouped together, so arguing whether Bloodborne is part of the souls games is kind of a silly argument. It is in all but name but the games aren't a "series" as they are a collection, Bloodborne included.

It is, and even Miyazaki himself is experiencing Souls fatigue at the moment, he also wants to make a new Otogi game. They clearly aren't working on BB2. The only ones that can make BB2 happen is Japan Studio, not Fromsoft.

It isn't. Let's keep going around in circles though, this is fun.

Maybe they aren't working on Bloodborne 2. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they aren't.

But it's pretty obvious going by Miyazaki himself that another Soulslike game is underway. Read the OP.

Maybe they aren't working Bloodborne 2. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they aren't.

But it's pretty obvious going by Miyazaki himself that another Soulslike game is underway. Read the OP.

Because he mentioned a dark fantasy ARPG? He also said that it would be different to the Souls series. You're nit picking Miyazaki's words to feed your belief that they are working on something similar to BB. They won the right to make something different and take a break. Why the fans don't want to give them a break too is beyond my comprehension.

Nags

Banned
Arguably there is no "souls series" there are three similar games and two of them happen to end in souls but they all share enough similarities to be grouped together, so arguing whether Bloodborne is part of the souls games is kind of a silly argument. It is in all but name but the games aren't a "series" as they are a collection, Bloodborne included.

Dark Souls series is the same world. Drawing elements from the previous settings and stories.
Bloodborne is an entirely different world, it's own story with similar combat. It isn't just "the name". That's extremely reductive and actually plain wrong. The engine, some UI elements and design choices are similar to Dark Souls, but it is not the same series.

Demon's Souls is close to Dark but a different world and story however, Miyazaki stepped into that game in the middle of development because of some issues it was facing. It essentially paved the way for a new sub-genre

Nags

Banned
Because he mentioned a dark fantasy ARPG? He also said that it would be different to the Souls series. You're nit picking Miyazaki's words to feed your belief that they are working on something similar to BB. They won the right to make something different and take a break. Why the fans don't want to give them a break too is beyond my comprehension.

Those games sell well for them. Money will dictate whether or not something similar is coming. Essentially Miyazaki will be taking a more hands-off approach on that genre for awhile though.

Alright, change it to "sequel", I'm not going to argue semantics with you. Doesn't change the fact that it's not Bloodborne 2

Why wouldn't it be Bloodborne 2? Sony isn't going to just sit on a successful new IP like that. You kinda sound like the people who were adamant that Sony and From would never collaborate on a Souls-like when the initial rumours began in 2014.

Dark Souls series is the same world. Drawing elements from the previous settings and stories.
Bloodborne is an entirely different world, it's own story with similar combat. It isn't just "the name". That's extremely reductive and actually plain wrong. The engine, some UI elements and design choices are similar to Dark Souls, but it is not the same series.

Demon's Souls is close to Dark but a different world and story however, Miyazaki stepped into that game in the middle of development because of some issues it was facing. It essentially paved the way for a new sub-genre
You're missing the point and reading something else entirely.
Dark Souls, Demon Souls and Bloodborne are all very similar games.
None of them are one series. They're a collection of games with similarities between the tbree. Most people know this, no one actually believes it's one overarching series when they use the term "souls series". Sure there are differences between Bloodborne and Dark Souls and there are equally as many differences between Demons Souls and Dark Souls despite those differences existing in different sections of game design. But at the end of the day, they're all close enough to be grouped together under an umbrella and they're definitely not a subgenre.

Why wouldn't it be Bloodborne 2? Sony isn't going to just sit on a successful new IP like that. You kinda sound like the people who were adamant that Sony and From would never collaborate on a Souls-like when the initial rumours began in 2014.
myself said:
ARPG with dark fantasy setting similar to dark souls
So not a sequel
And the bolded statement can be taken two ways.
It's a game with a dark fantasy setting, setting being similar to dark souls
Or its a dark fantasy game and its similar to dark souls in the way that all souls games are similar to each other. But I'm going to assume the former, the settings of dark souls and Bloodborne are quite different also meaning it's not Bloodborne. Had it had any relation to Bloodborne I'd imagine the game wouldve at least been used in reference in the same way Dark Souls is being used as a reference, but its not and all of the above combined with the fact that Miyazaki has stated his disinterest in making things he's already done (or rather has said he's pretty much only interested in doing something new)
All of these things lead me to believe that there won't be a Bloodborne sequel and I personally believe that to be a better desicion.

orochi91

Miyzaki's personally wants to make a mixture of fantasy and mech, something like The Vision of Escaflowne
Holy shit.

TVoE is an aesthetically stunning show, with a fully realized world; mechas and swordsmen, with all the monsters running around, is a brilliant combo.

Taking cues from that would be kosher as fuck :D

Because he mentioned a dark fantasy ARPG?

Yes.

He also said that it would be different to the Souls series.

Just like Bloodborne. So, if the game isn't Bloodborne 2 (which is honestly pretty likely to be the case), it could be a new IP that approaches an ARPG from a different angle than Dark Souls.

You're nit picking Miyazaki's words to feed your belief that they are working on something similar to BB.

No, I'm really not. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're not working on a BB sequel or even a spiritual successor.

They won the right to make something different and take a break. Why the fans don't want to give them a break too is beyond my comprehension.

You are, however, nitpicking my words. I want From to work on whatever From wants to work on.

Top Bottom