• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FXAA creator comments on Orbis, Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
Wait till your balls do, then you'll be excited all the time.

uhh...

1295477349819.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Heh I knew after reading the OP that several people in particular would probably not handle it very well, it being the notion that ps4 miiiight be better for games/exclusives and some of them did react accordingly. Relax guys everything is speculation until the damn things get shown off. No need to go all "YEAH? WELL...WHAT DOES HE KNOW??".

Dabanton

Damm there sure is a lot of emotional investment in machines we haven't even seen yet. Not just in this thread but most of the next gen ones I've been reading this week.

It's actually quite frightening that people are drawing their lines in the sand so soon. God help this forum when they're revealed for real.

It's going to be a bloodbath.

Ramblin

Banned
Damm there sure is a lot of emotional investment in machines we haven't even seen yet. Not just in this thread but most of the next gen ones I've been reading this week.

It's actually quite frightening that people are drawing their lines in the sand so soon. God help this forum when they're revealed for real.

It's going to be silly as always, another young generation with no perspective, but they'll learn and we'll laugh.

Perkel

Banned
This thread shows more clearly than any before it that the console wars have truly begun. We are already at the phase where everyone saying anything that disagrees (or even seems to disagree) with a preconceived notion about these systems needs to be attacked on all fronts.

I think this kind of argument just isn't valid. You don't need a huge budget to make good use of hardware capabilities. For example, I doubt Journey had an "AAA" title's budget (even at the low end of that scale), but it made good use of the PS3 hardware. Having to deal with fewer hardware restrictions helps developers across the board, from indie to AAA, to achieve better results more easily.

Yeah. When you can't talk about hardware and leaks or developers approach to leaks you know shit hit the fan.
bish will have a lot of work in coming months.

Damn all people talk about Naughty dog that, Crytek this GG that etc and almost everybody forgets Polyphony Digital.

If anything racing games will be closest to uncanny valley next gen.

Just imagine that works on 0,25Tflop hardware:

ikipIFMFhb4bg.gif

What Pd can do with >1Tflop ?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I would prefer 60FPS, but 30FPS is playable provided the input lag is negligable. 1080p has to be a must IMO. 720p is nothing but a blurry mess.
1080p makes all the shader operations more computationally expensive, which is why I don't think it will happen after the cross gen ports dry up. I don't think a locked 60fps will happen that often either. We'll probably see high unlocked framerates coupled with triple buffering and other tricks. 720p isn't really a blurry mess on an HDTV either. But Nyquist's theorem would suggest that you should internally render at around 1080p if you want to display at 720p.

Console APIs are a lot thinner than PC APIs in terms of performance cost. I doubt that MS is just going to port the PC version of DX11 without any optimizations.

StuBurns

Banned

I think it'll depend how the first parties position them. If they both play down performance and talk about features, which I imagine they will, I think it'll disrupt the fanboy wars quite a bit.

The reason it always happens is some people can't afford both, so they have to choose one, and they want the best, but they don't really know which it is in any practical sense. If the first parties don't really discuss graphics as the center of the buying decision, I don't think the audience will either.

No. I was referring to the rumors we have been discussing on this board for months now. You need to take a break.

You need to cut that "take a break" crap, you're just another poster around here. If you think knowing someone who told you and half the internet what the target specs of these consoles are makes you special, think again.

You are in the FXAA creator blog post thread, where he made a bunch of observations which you are validating with your comments (a reply to a post commenting the O.P).

This:

If this GPU is pre-GCN

Is in the original blog post. Considering you seem unaware of it, you probably didn't even bother reading the O.P. Which goes against the rules around here as far as I know.

So think it through next time.

Quixz

If the discrepancy between RAM is really as substantial as some are making out then I might be tempted to switch over. Saying that, the LIVE ecosystem, with all my friends, is probably of greater importance to me. It's a really tough decision that I won't be able to decide until closer to launch.

Similar boat :(

If the PS4 ends up being as amazing as everyone is making it sound, I'll jump back to Playstaion :D

i-Lo

Having 3 home consoles in the same generation with huge gaps in performance will be a 3rd party nightmare.

Were you expecting PS4/XB3 (which according to developers are closer than ever in terms of performance parity) to be similar to WiiU in terms of power?

StuBurns

Banned
Having 3 home consoles in the same generation with huge gaps in performance will be a 3rd party nightmare.
This might be a stupid question, but why? Publishers release PC SKUs all the time, they're orders of magnitude more powerful than the consoles, and they need crazy amounts of QA too, if the PS4 is a lot more powerful than the XB3, can't they just throw in some better AA, increase the framerate, etc?

Zzoram

Honestly I wonder if the WiiU will end up like the Wii and many 3rd parties won't bother with it.

I think there is a good chance 3rd parties will keep making 360/PS3/WiiU games as a set because they're close enough for easy porting and development will be cheaper and there is a bigger install base for that level of graphics.

For Durango/Orbis, if there is a wide gap, it will mean Durango sets the baseline for what can be done for gameplay and Orbis will get some better effects and post-processing.

Depending on how 360/PS3 games continue to sell post-Durango/Orbis, it's possible that the WiiU would be the baseline system and the Durango/Orbis will just extra effects just for the sake of getting access to a bigger market to make back the insane development costs.

Yeah. When you can't talk about hardware and leaks or developers approach to leaks you know shit hit the fan.
bish will have a lot of work in coming months.

Damn all people talk about Naughty dog that, Crytek this GG that etc and almost everybody forgets Polyphony Digital.

If anything racing games will be closest to uncanny valley next gen.

Just imagine that works on 0,25Tflop hardware:

ikipIFMFhb4bg.gif

What Pd can do with >1Tflop ?

Must be difficult playing the game in this perspective... oh wait, it´s just a replay.

daveo42

Banned
I love all the people blowing up over bias in the article against Microsoft. If you looked at the length of the article only, you could come to the conclusion that it favors Sony much more.

The issue is the content. Sony is looking at more of a gaming machine while MS looks for the living room solution. Even if they are both moving towards a standard PC build, MS is one step closer to selling desktops than Sony is (if specs for both are 100% true).

His whole issue is that MS is designing the 720 too much like a PC and selling at the cost of a budget PC. PCs can produce the best graphics around, but you don't need a lot of this extra stuff weighing it down in the process.

Even if the war has started and shots have been fired, the true battles will begin when actual in-game shots are shown. And no, I don't mean bullshots.

a guy who doesnt know much.

seriously, his name kicks around tech circles from time to time and i noticed before like, what the hell is this guy thinking? (cant remember the topic).

i'm sure he's super smart at programming but seems to have no clue about bigger pictures.

if you read his article he's basically saying stupid things like next box is going to just be a dumb dx11 box, no coding to the metal, only going to be used for up-resed 360 ports, etc etc. complete fabrications and wishful thinking

seems very sony biased.

this is useless, only pay attention to these when programmers that are actually making games on both have an opinion, and even then, tread carefully.

he's also implying xbox gpu will be pre-gcn for example, when no rumors say that. he's completely making things up.

Aren't you a little butt hurt by his predictions?

His expectations have some merrit: What he said about Sony and low level programming is true. Hell it was expected by everybody on the Ps3: If you wanted to harness the ps3, you might even need to use some assembly to redirect certain operations. The RSX isn't a beast of technology and yet you have games like Uncharted and God of war 3 on the console. Because physic calculations are sometimes re targeted to the Cell Processor, particle effects same thing. But to do so, it requires a lot of work, the cell processor is a complicated piece of engineering. They are switching to x86 processor which should help a lot. But the API's provided by Sony have always been lacking, so third party developpers will probably not be able to harness all that power unless it's exclusive and has a massive budget.

Meanwhile, Durango has a lot of ram, but it's DDR 3 ram(Basic PC ram, not the fastest available) We dunno for sure how much ram is allocated to OS stuff(rumor says 3 gig, which is insane). Microsoft has direct X which is the Standard API in the PC world and unless I'm mistaken, and people would rather work with that cause it's less of a hassle.

It's not all doom and gloom for Microsoft. And give the guy some credit.

Coolwhip

Banned
Developers would have to use the lowest specs of the 2 for their games anyway. So having the weaker hardware is actually an advantage.

Drek

3 Categories of cars ?
like Standard, Premium and >1 TF Edition ?

Polyphony's life is about to get a whole lot easier on that front, FYI. 3D imaging scanners are now going from military/intelligence only tech to consumer level tech. I do a lot of work in mapping, surveying, etc. and I could rent a 3D imaging scanner that turns everything within ~100 yards into a highly detailed wireframe with color tags, output in .DWG format, any day of the week. Sure, it'd cost ~$1000 a day, but that's far cheaper than manually measuring and rendering these physical objects.

GIS/GPS and 3D imaging are reaching a point of high intersection, as that happens we're going to see a rapid drop in game development costs. Non-unique elements will be generated off of real world templates in seconds instead of days.

Brera

Banned
This year is gonna be awesome!

It's like a tug of war! 1 rumor comes out putting durango on top, the next day orbis!

I'm backing Sony. Anyone that had any passion and vision for xbox is long gone. All you have left is marketing men and PC guys with an agenda. That agenda doesn't like games. Remember, the xbox team was hated within MS and those guys are gone....the losers in the set top box camp are probably still around and the fact that rumors are now pointing towards a Windows box are worrying!

gran turismo is a stunning game, not just replays, but I feel the gameplay has gotten a little stale of late, especially after playing forza horizon. they really need to stop taking so long in developing them because they really are starting to fall behind other titles.

Prologue

PS4 is turning out to be one hell of a gaming machine. Not really surprised regarding the next xbox though. As others have mentioned, Sony seems to be aiming for our gaming solution while Microsoft is aiming towards the living room.

I'm sure Microsoft will truly change things in the living room though and I'd be forced to get one. I have no doubt about that

beast786

Must be difficult playing the game in this perspective... oh wait, it´s just a replay.

Thanks for clearing it. He clearly tried to fool us. But I am glad you came in as a knight in shinning armour and saved us all.

As per topic. it's a fun read seeing how next gen for MS/Sony is about to begin, and this all we can get from people that can actually take these rumors and break it down.

Regardless, bottom line is its just rumors.

Can't wait for the two to unveil and show us what ideologies/pathway they both have for next GEN. E3 can't came soon enough.

Zzoram

This year is gonna be awesome!

It's like a tug of war! 1 rumor comes out putting durango on top, the next day orbis!

I'm backing Sony. Anyone that had any passion and vision for xbox is long gone. All you have left is marketing men and PC guys with an agenda. That agenda doesn't like games. Remember, the xbox team was hated within MS and those guys are gone....the losers in the set top box camp are probably still around and the fact that rumors are now pointing towards a Windows box are worrying!

That's Microsoft for you. The guys making everyone else look bad because they were the only ones delivering are the ones that get pushed out the door.

iceatcs

gran turismo is a stunning game, not just replays, but I feel the gameplay has gotten a little stale of late, especially after playing forza horizon. they really need to stop taking so long in developing them because they really are starting to fall behind other titles.

Should be fine this time because they had hired more and build a new studio. About 100 were working on GT5, that dangerous low for such massive expectation game.
Unless it may be for racing team :/

Brera

Banned
PS4 is turning out to be one hell of a gaming machine. Not really surprised regarding the next xbox though. As others have mentioned, Sony seems to be aiming for our gaming solution while Microsoft is aiming towards the living room.

I'm sure Microsoft will truly change things in the living room though and I'd be forced to get one. I have no doubt about that

People are forgetting that PS3 already offers all of the features that MS are rumored to be targetting, all with 512MB RAM.

NAS? Check
Streaming media inc movies, music, TV services? Check
DVR? Check
BluRay? Check
Photos? Check
Social Media integration? Check
Fast OS? Check
3D? Check

That's Microsoft for you. The guys making everyone else look bad because they were the only ones delivering are the ones that get pushed out the door.

Where is this coming from?

The only I time I remember the Xbox team getting heat from the rest of MS was back in Xbox 1 days, when it was sinking money.

Regardless, bottom line is its just rumors.

Can't wait for the two to unveil and show us what ideologies/pathway they both have for next GEN. E3 can't came soon enough.

Looking back at previous speculation for consoles that are about to be announced, going back to the Saturn,PS1 days, up to the 360 & PS3 (using EDGE as a source)..the rumoured specs have proved to be remarkably and consistently accurate you know.

A few changes here and there, but nothing that rendered all the pre announcement power comparisons redundant.

Which is why I fully expect the PS4 to have a considerable advantage next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom