• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FXAA creator comments on Orbis, Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankT

Where is this coming from?

The only I time I remember the Xbox team getting heat from the rest of MS was back in Xbox 1 days, when it was sinking money.

They got it pretty hard after RROD, but really all of this gen the 360 has had to make up for huge shortcomings from the rest of the division.

Zzoram

They got it pretty hard after RROD, but really all of this gen the 360 has had to make up for huge shortcomings from the rest of the division.

I expect MSFT to make the most reliable console next time around specifically because of how much the RROD debacle stung. If they didn't have the RROD, it's entirely possible that they would've grabbed a much larger share of the market than they have so far.

Well I was talking about in terms of philosophy. 360 has been a huge success aside from that whole RROD scenario. Don't see how the Xbox team is frowned upon.

All you need to compare is Ps3 vs 360 to prove you aren't quite right.

Ignore the E3 hype, and in EDGE, who actually spoke to devs, the power comparisons were pretty accurate.

The claims by Sony that the PS3 had twice the power (in terms of FLOPS) of the 360, were quickly slapped down as bullshit.

I do genuinely believe that the PS4 will have a significant power advantage this time though..MS has simply drifted too far off mission to really care just about games.

Ignore the E3 hype, and in EDGE, who actually spoke to devs, the power comparisons were pretty accurate.

The claims by Sony that the PS3 had twice the power (in terms of FLOPS) of the 360, were quickly slapped down as bullshit.

I do genuinely believe that the PS4 will have a significant power advantage this time though..MS has simply drifted too far off mission to really care just about games.

Jesus man, a whole world and you point to a UK magazine. Now you are gonna have to tell me when that was.

In 2005 the Ps3 was set to dreamcast the Xbox 360.

I'm not saying there won't be a big power gap, all I'm saying is the only dev here that has spoken (ilherre) said they were comparable. Given that you are all about dev comments, you should probably take a look at his post history.

Polo67

I'm sure MS cares about games . Maybe they feel its not required to have a super box to do it.

meta4

Yeah. Personally I think these specs are off and they will more or less be within the same ball park. I cant imagine a situation where one game runs at 60 on one console and on 30 in the other.

We need Carmack to talk about these specs. Someone tweet him. This interview on the PS3 pretty much summed up what transpired this gen in the first E3 itself - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFUw29U4J8

Polo67

Jesus man, a whole world and you point to a UK magazine. Now you are gonna have to tell me when that was.

In 2005 the Ps3 was set to dreamcast the Xbox 360.

I'm not saying there won't be a big power gap, all I'm saying is the only dev here that has spoken (ilherre) said they were comparable. Given that you are all about dev comments, you should probably take a look at his post history.

Looking at your post history seems like your a Xbox apologist

ibc9uvlO5n2aT6.gif

Much better. Not as impressive but still awesome.

mephixto

Banned
The real reason to get excited about a PS4 is what Sony as a company does with the OS and system libraries as a platform, and what this enables 1st party studios to do, when they make PS4-only games. If PS4 has a real-time OS, with a libGCM style low level access to the GPU, then the PS4 1st party games will be years ahead of the PC simply because it opens up what is possible on the GPU

Is this is true then I believe in Sony's secret sauce and pixie dust. If Sony allows a way of direct acces to their GPU, ignoring APIs, huge edge for their first party titles.

i-Lo

This I was unaware of. Do you know of an article that may point that specific insinuation?

Brera

Banned
Sony should have offered $5 credit for an out of warranty RROD 360 before MS acted.

Biggest missed opportunity ever. that could have been the turning point. The way MS treats its fanboys with live prices and poor build quality and still retains a loyal following is amazing.

Someone needs to do a study.

Looking at your post history seems like your a Xbox apologist

I can understand that. It's pretty easy to look pro something when you are arguing in favor of something vs others who are arguing against it.

I think xbox is a great console, even though I don't own one, and think that a lot of the arguments made against next gen xbox are unfounded.

However I've revised my expectations for it a bit, since 3GB or thereabouts for the OS seems to be a reality, which gives credence to some of the more negative outlooks for Durango.

However, defending something doesn't mean I'm A or B. It's like saying someone who is arguing against racism is either included in the minority or a minority lover. It says more about those who spend time putting something down based on little, than those who defend an open mind.

I like to keep perspective on things. But I didn't point to my post history for answers, I pointed to ilherre's who is a developer.

StuBurns

Banned
The way MS treats its fanboys with live prices and poor build quality and still retains a loyal following is amazing.
The original 360 was a piece of shit, but to say they have poor build quality now is really unfair. They're actually a lot nicer than the PS3 is. They've got more premium while the PS3 has got cheaper, and shittier, with each iteration.

PS3 is a DVR? I didn't know that.

playtv. came in very handy before I got my current sky hd set up.

Should be fine this time because they had hired more and build a new studio. About 100 were working on GT5, that dangerous low for such massive expectation game.

Unless it may be for racing team :/

that's good news. I feel they should be releasing at two GT games per gen at the minimum. it's sad to see what I consider the premier racer fall behind others.

Brera

Banned
I agree with the PS3 going down market.

The Phat is a work of art! I know people made fun of it, by people, I mean Sega zealots but that thing is work of modern art! Much like the OG PS2 and OG PSX. They were mocked at the time but history had the last laugh!

Not had a play with the 360 slim but it does indeed like upper market compared to OG 360.

The original 360 was a piece of shit, but to say they have poor build quality now is really unfair. They're actually a lot nicer than the PS3 is. They've got more premium while the PS3 has got cheaper, and shittier, with each iteration.

Not so much unfair to say it, just misinformed.

Mrbob

I think if you start reading between the lines the 2 to 3GB of OS ram usage for Durango makes sense. I didn't think it would happen, but I'm almost positive now MS is going to position the next xbox as the living room push for Windows 8. It is going to be the central device to try and tie everything together under the Windows 8 banner: PCs, tablets, phones, and this console.

Their target is living room entertainment dominance first, gaming second.

Whereas I think Sony will be gaming first with entertainment second.

beast786

I am not sure if it still stands, but I hated that power brick. UGH

Polo67

Thanks for clearing that up Can Crusher

Anyway I have a feeling these two consoles will sell out very quickly and won't be readily replenished for months. You won't be able to casually walk into the store and pick one up launch day like the wii U

nib95

Banned
oh boy, looks like specialguy (aka Rangers on B3D) is having some serious meltdowns.

I+like+ponies+Read+Description+.+Taking+cover+for+the+incoming_28f0c2_3416544.gif

His post history over there scares me.

On a side note, has Lottes made any follow up posts or replies in this thread or on his blog? This thread has moved pretty damned fast.

QaaQer

Having attended MS dev conferences last year, I'd rather say he's spot-on. The foremost bullet point they've been hammering this past year is how the exact same game code is garanteed to work without any alteration on all win8-based platforms, be they phones, computers or some future new MS platform hint hint know what I mean (yes, they were about that subtle), essentially bringing free ports to the table. That approach directly precludes a coding to metal API.

In retrospect, it will all seem so obvious.

velociraptor

People are forgetting that PS3 already offers all of the features that MS are rumored to be targetting, all with 512MB RAM.

NAS? Check
Streaming media inc movies, music, TV services? Check
DVR? Check
BluRay? Check
Photos? Check
Social Media integration? Check
Fast OS? Check
3D? Check
The best thing about the PS3 is the interface. It's so clean, so uncluttered. I can access anything I want with ease. Movies? Check. Internet TV? Check. Games? Check.

I hope Sony do the same for the PS4. Just keep it simple, and keep it functional. 360 interface looks like a mess, and I found it a pain for navigation.

So,

The whole OMFG "he said 720 is pre-GCN" outrage is based off him saying "if it is PRE-GCN". LMAO the lengths some people go to incite fake outrage.

DBT85

that's good news. I feel they should be releasing at two GT games per gen at the minimum. it's sad to see what I consider the premier racer fall behind others.

I think most people expect the same from them tbh. I just think what they were attempting on the PS3 with the initial tools provided and the team they had meant that releasing 2 full games is not going to happen.

Hopefully they'll be out in force in the first 12-18 months on the PS4 though.

That's off screen. There is no blue tint.

It looks like this.

I see what I see man. You're the one who picked that gif :p

So,

The whole OMFG "he said 720 is pre-GCN" outrage is based off him saying "if it is PRE-GCN". LMAO the lengths some people go to incite fake outrage.

Again with the reading comprehension problem?

Working assuming the Eurogamer Article is mostly correct

Doesn't he basically start the whole blog post with an if? So isn't everything he's saying based on if something is as?

How is the "if it's pre gcn" any different than the previous ifs? Jesus man, read stuff first. Why so eager to put down legitimate opinions from others...

daveo42

Banned
Anyway I have a feeling these two consoles will sell out very quickly and won't be readily replenished for months. You won't be able to casually walk into the store and pick one up launch day like the wii U

Is anyone thinking there'll be another console shortage similar to the SNAFUs of the PS2/PS3/360? You would think MS and Sony would give ample production time for their consoles and avoid the speculation of trying to artificially drive up demand (like with the PS2).

I think most people expect the same from them tbh. I just think what they were attempting on the PS3 with the initial tools provided and the team they had meant that releasing 2 full games is not going to happen.

Hopefully they'll be out in force in the first 12-18 months on the PS4 though.

you're right and they did a damn good job with what they had. to hear they've hired more and with the news that sony have improved their dev tools significantly, I can't wait to see what they bring to the table next gen. :D

Polo67

Is anyone thinking there'll be another console shortage similar to the SNAFUs of the PS2/PS3/360? You would think MS and Sony would give ample production time for their consoles and avoid the speculation of trying to artificially drive up demand (like with the PS2).

I'm willing to bet my account on it . Expect jacked up prices too . There's a lot of pent up demand for new consoles

I think the point of the GIF was that it mimicked the camera angles of the TV show, complete with the screen shake.

That wasn't the point of your post though was it? To show the mimicked camera angles of Top gear?

;P it's all good man, it's all fun

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does anyone know what Lottes considers to be good AA? I know he himself calls FXAA poor man's AA but I'm just curious as to what someone that comes up with AA methods considers good. I know he worked on TXAA too so he may be talking about something like that.

I'm willing to bet my account on it . Expect jacked up prices too . There's a lot of pent up demand for new consoles

there's demand, but I don't believe we'll see mass shortages. both will ensure they have enough stock in stores to meet the upper expectations they have.

StuBurns

Banned
Regardless of shitty little GIFs or insane photo mode resolutions, neither of those games are even approaching realism in person, they both look wholly like games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom