• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's next cover is Assassin's Creed: Origins [Up: All details inside]

They regressed and don't offer a choice anymore. They had moved forward and now.... So yes. And I won't buy the next one either if it's only a dude.

I don't play games like this, as they are primarily targeted at teenage boys/young males/dullards. I also by no means respect Ubisofts capacity to create an interesting narrative. But it seems pretty silly for you to expect every single game to come from this franchise (and I would assume every game ever made ideally?) to bend its narrative to include a protagonist of each specific gender.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Mini map was pointless anyway. Just showed a billion open world check-list items.

Depending how the game is designed you probably won't even need one.

Can't remember but did the batman games have mini maps?

Not to me. I hate when open world games don't have a mini map. For those who don't like it, just turn it off but I hate the compass. Mini Map shows you where everything is and easier to navigate towards.

Batman always had a compass. Arkham Knight was annoying with no mini map because I don't have the time or patience to look for every side activity/quest.

Blastoise

Banned
I could go for another ASSCREED game.

But the open world genre has evolved a lot over the years. I hope Ubi learned something.

illamap

Not to me. I hate when open world games don't have a mini map. For those who don't like it, just turn it off but I hate the compass. Mini Map shows you where everything is and easier to navigate towards.

Batman always had a compass. Arkham Knight was annoying with no mini map because I don't have the time or patience to look for every side activity/quest.

They could have made quick selector that allows to pick nearest selected activity/quest and show road in-game like in syndicate, much better than staring at mini-map imo.

Raptor

No counter on the combat has me worried, that means no parry?

No parry makes for not a very fun combat system IMO.

Lime

http://i.imgur.com/0mw1I8e.gif[

Come on now, it's not that bad. I think with Origins they're approaching the series differently and it shows. It's why I have a huge amount of hope for the modern day. The recent comics have proven that. I think MD is gonna be massive this time around and I'm sure people will love it.[/QUOTE]

Who's on the front of the cover?
Who's in the part of the game with the most content?
Who's in part of the main reason people buy the game?
Who is being completely hidden away as a secret marketing gimmick?

I'm so tired of Ubisofts reluctance to include women in their games. If it's not a Vita game or a DLC spinoff, it's only half of a game while being hidden away in marketing.

very impressed by the changes. I'm glad games are applying the Souls combat system and adjusting it to their particular game. Also it's nice to read that it runs well on Scorpio.

Mini maps are a plague on humanity that must be treated.

For real though I find if I have a mini map I'm always constantly staring at it instead of the game world and its (hopefully) nice art. Mini maps are a shortcut to mitigate bad game design imo. Not sure what the issue is as long as you know what direction to go in.

jdstorm

Banned
No counter on the combat has me worried, that means no parry?

No parry makes for not a very fun combat system IMO.

Could be physics based, so you parry by attacking your opponants attack. That would also make a lot of sense because in most AC/Arkham style games you just stand still and wait to overpower your opponent with parries/counters.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
:( :( :(

Do you know if Far Cry 5 eliminated the mini map as well?
I'm not sure what FC5's gameplay entails at this time. :/ ,There's always the full map.
Who's on the front of the cover?
Who's in the part of the game with the most content?
Who's in part of the main reason people buy the game?
Who is being completely hidden away as a secret marketing gimmick?

I'm so tired of Ubisofts reluctance to include women in their games. If it's not a Vita game or a DLC spinoff, it's only half of a game while being hidden away in marketing.
Think you're barking up the wrong tree here...they're keeping the story secret in general, not just hypothetical playable women. Like....even I have been kept in the dark in terms of story and I had been told about Syndicate's best kept secret, the WW1 sequence where you play as Lydia:
lydia_frye___assassin_s_creed_syndicate_by_juanmawl-d9oztkf.jpg

months before release by multiple contacts. But they're absolutely adamant about the story not being spoiled in this one :| Bayek may be the focus, but that doesn't mean that they'r reluctant to make women the focus. Especially when you consider stuff like the comics being entirely focused on a female protagonist.

daftstar

Damn I'm actually very excited for this (hasn't been like this since pre-AC3). Will likely pick up Day 1.

Do we know if the game director is Ashraf Ismail?

among all the big third party games this holiday - im the most excited for this one.
it sounds soooo good and then the egypt setting.
haven't been excited for an AC Game this much since AC3

Raptor

Could be physics based, so you parry by attacking your opponants attack. That would also make a lot of sense because in most AC/Arkham style games you just stand still and wait to overpower your opponent with parries/counters.

yes, anything, I just love to parry stuff :p

Tyaren

I played the very first AC, kinda liked it, then lost interest for a long time, then jumped half-heartedly back into it with Unity, just for gorgeous Paris, didn't ever finish the game and didn't care for Syndicate at all.
Now an open world AC, bigger than ever, set in ancient Egypt? Oh, I am really, really excited for this. :)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Mini maps are a plague on humanity that must be treated.

For real though I find if I have a mini map I'm always constantly staring at it instead of the game world and its (hopefully) nice art. Mini maps are a shortcut to mitigate bad game design imo. Not sure what the issue is as long as you know what direction to go in.

I love mini maps for a few reasons -

1) I love the items being on the mini map so I can go retrieve them as opposed to walking/driving/running, etc. down every alley, dirt road, street, etc. looking for treasure chests and collectables.

2) MGSV for example.....I hate it when you mark a waypoint and it tells you the XXmeters of how far it is but because there's no mini map, you have to constantly look at the main map in order to know where you're going as opposed to getting stuck behind a mountain and then have to walk around it.

3) To me, mini maps are the full map but only shows the area that you're in and eliminates the constant need to open up the main map.

4) Simply, also personal preference as I like to know where every collectable, item, etc. is as opposed to going nuts looking for them all or like in Watch Dogs 2 where you have to get close to the item for it to appear.

5) If there's no synchronization that opens up everything, im going to be pissed because I can see what attracted me to Ubisoft back in 2012 with Far Cry 3 is slowly going away and if that happens, I'll simply cut down the amount of games that I play from Ubisoft and in general.

6) I think that every open world game should have a mini map, not a fucking dumbass compass as this reminds me of Madden's play calling. Old and obsolete where as NFL 2K-2K3 had play calling on the full screen which was fucking awesome and way better. This is how I look at the mini map. Besides, a simple on/off option solves the problem for those who don't like it.

But whatever, I can see that for me personally, what I love about Ubisoft games is slowly but surely being eliminated. Oh well.

He could be but he wouldn't have to be. The native population of ancient Egypt wasn't black (they weren't white, either, mind you) but black people did certainly exist in Egypt at the time (there had even, a long time before this game takes place, been a black Nubian ruling class in Egypt). On the other hand, the ruling class and most of the upper class in Ptolemaic Egypt was of Greek/Macedonian origin (on that note, I can't wait for people to start crying about the supposed "white-washing" of Cleopatra once they show her). So he could be black, brown or white, really. None of that would be historically implausible (depending on his specific backstory, I suppose).

Nonsense. Black people come in all different shapes, shades and sizes. Dark skinned, lightly skinned - whatever, Ancient Egyptians were black, and if this hand tries to deny that then I hope it goes the way of Exodus and Gods of Egypt.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yup.

Ubi should honestly let him be the overall director for AC.

Because he used to be a fan, and at least understands the little things people like about AC.

Like ambient music.
We better get it here.

Egypt is the perfect setting to pull all the stops.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Think you're barking up the wrong tree here...they're keeping the story secret in general, not just hypothetical playable women.

I don't feel like he is. I'll always talk shit about Ubisoft's complete disregard of female protagonists, while you'll never see me do the same for let's say Capcom and Devil May Cry. Because Ubisoft has a history of shitting on women from a great height. Remember Unity and the clusterfuck? Syndicate felt like a half measure but a step forward that was needed. There was clearly demand for a female Assassin. They said they listened after Unity. And now....nope. Back to a single dude again. It doesn't matter if there's a playable woman for two hours somewhere in the game. Or if the modern day character is a woman. Yay I get to play as a chick for 2 minutes slices after each chapter! That's not what we want.

Crossing Eden

I don't feel like he is. I'll always talk shit about Ubisoft's complete disregard of female protagonists, while you'll never see me do the same for let's say Capcom and Devil May Cry. Because Ubisoft has a history of shitting on women from a great height. Remember Unity and the clusterfuck? Syndicate felt like a half measure but a step forward that was needed. There was clearly demand for a female Assassin. They said they listened after Unity. And now....nope. Back to a single dude again. It doesn't matter if there's a playable woman for two hours somewhere in the game. Or if the modern day character is a woman. Yay I get to play as a chick for 2 minutes slices after each chapter! That's not what we want.
Unity was because we all played as the same character who had very specific gear and given the time constraints they couldn't implement female skins for each of the permutations let alone animations. If we look at their recent games, For Honor, The Division, Far Cry 5, AC:Syndicate, and Ghost Recon Wildlands all allow you to play as a fully customizable woman. They're absolutely not shy about letting people play as women at all at this point. But focusing on a story featuring a dark skinned POC male isn't inherently bad at all. Btw Lime is a woman.

Plum

I'm definitely excited for this one. Looking forward to seeing how they tune up some of the more tedious aspects of previous games; stuff like tailing, tedious checklists, endless collectibles need to go or be heavily refined. I'll also be disappointed if the bird stuff is just a straight copy of Far Cry: Primal's UAV Drone Owl, controlling an animal who can actually fly freely would be amazing.

The cast are going to have deep Cockney accents for some inexplicable reason.

What kind of shit is this?

Oh sorry! Have you never played the AC series? Basically after AC2, they churned 6 sequels very similar to it year after year. They pretty much all had the same awful mechanics and dogshit narratives, which was frankly already rote by the end of AC2. Yet somehow people kept buying them! So I can only assume those consumers are children and/or dullards...I think that's a fair assumption.

This game sounds like it could be the is the first one since AC2 to actually have some pretty cool changes to the mechanical formula. Yet you seem to blindly ignore all that and shit on it because you have some wild expectation that Ubi has an obligation to provide Female&Male protagonists for all the games they ever make ever! From now until infinity! To me that looks like an irrational stance you have taken in a misguided attempt to be progressive.

I would just like to let you know that I think this game looks far more interesting than anything the series has put out for almost a decade. So if these rumours are true...and if you have somehow managed to endure the last 7 games (wow, did you really do that to yourself? God bless your cotton socks)...then you're probably doing yourself a disservice to bow out of the series now. But hey, I respect your political stance and I hope you continue to boycott any game that doesn't have a non-male protagonist playable. I'm sure the AAA market will get the message. I'm also sure game writers will be thrilled to find out they have to yield to the demands of an outraged pseudo progressionist if they want to make a story that is socially acceptable in the 21st century. I mean I think we can all agree on the fact that creative people should always be given strict rules to adhere to...After all, a safe stance, is a fun stance.

Crossing Eden

Oh sorry! Have you never played the AC series? Basically after AC2, they churned 6 sequels very similar to it year after year. They pretty much all had the same awful mechanics and dogshit narratives, which was frankly already rote by the end of AC2. Yet somehow people kept buying them! So I can only assume those consumers are children and/or dullards...I think that's a fair assumption.
"People like what I don't like, so obviously they're either children or stupid."
Aren't you just a shining example of maturity. /s

And for their biggest game in years, suddenly that's not an option.
Again it's a wait and see situation. Just the fact that Bayek is already older than every AC protagonist in years and isn't European is a pretty big change. And looking at the timeline, there are pretty ample opportunities for us to switch perspectives given the time period:
UcZvRj0.png

This game sounds like it could be the is the first one since AC2 to actually have some pretty cool changes to the mechanical formula. Yet you seem to blindly ignore all that and shit on it because you have some wild expectation that Ubi has an obligation to provide Female&Male protagonists for all the games they ever make ever! From now until infinity! To me that looks like an irrational stance you have taken in a misguided attempt to be progressive.

I would just like to let you know that I think this game looks far more interesting than anything the series has put out for almost a decade. So if these rumours are true...and if you have somehow managed to endure the last 7 games (wow, did you really do that to yourself? God bless your cotton socks)...then you're probably doing yourself a disservice to bow out of the series now. But hey, I respect your political stance and I hope you continue to boycott any game that doesn't have a non-male protagonist playable. I'm sure the AAA market will get the message. I'm also sure game writers will be thrilled to find out they have to yield to the demands of an outraged pseudo progressionist if they want to make a story that is socially acceptable in the 21st century. I mean I think we can all agree on the fact that creative people should always be given strict rules to adhere to...After all, a safe stance, is a fun stance.
Ve9Y3.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Boy you will be here long

Toa TAK

Banned
Yo if that rumour going on that Austin Wintory is returning as the composer, and the game has ambient music.

Oh Lawd.
I'll take it. Kinda holding my breath on the composer, though.
And for their biggest game in years, suddenly that's not an option.
You're not wrong. Was hoping for at least a Syndicate situation at this point, since it won't be a woman straight up.

Bummer because they've nailed it before with Aveline and Evie.

I love mini maps for a few reasons -

1) I love the items being on the mini map so I can go retrieve them as opposed to walking/driving/running, etc. down every alley, dirt road, street, etc. looking for treasure chests and collectables.

2) MGSV for example.....I hate it when you mark a waypoint and it tells you the XXmeters of how far it is but because there's no mini map, you have to constantly look at the main map in order to know where you're going as opposed to getting stuck behind a mountain and then have to walk around it.

3) To me, mini maps are the full map but only shows the area that you're in and eliminates the constant need to open up the main map.

4) Simply, also personal preference as I like to know where every collectable, item, etc. is as opposed to going nuts looking for them all or like in Watch Dogs 2 where you have to get close to the item for it to appear.

5) If there's no synchronization that opens up everything, im going to be pissed because I can see what attracted me to Ubisoft back in 2012 with Far Cry 3 is slowly going away and if that happens, I'll simply cut down the amount of games that I play from Ubisoft and in general.

6) I think that every open world game should have a mini map, not a fucking dumbass compass as this reminds me of Madden's play calling. Old and obsolete where as NFL 2K-2K3 had play calling on the full screen which was fucking awesome and way better. This is how I look at the mini map. Besides, a simple on/off option solves the problem for those who don't like it.

But whatever, I can see that for me personally, what I love about Ubisoft games is slowly but surely being eliminated. Oh well.

I think a lot of this comes down to play style. I don't like having a bunch of collectibles on my map because it drives my impulse to go check that box, but in most games these small things aren't meaningful enough to justify my time and only make my game experience more mundane. Instead of adventuring I'm following one waypoint after another.

Seems were on opposite sides of the spectrum, I see this as a great new direction for Ubisoft games fixing a lot of my previous issues.

Harlequin

Nonsense. Black people come in all different shapes, shades and sizes. Dark skinned, lightly skinned - whatever, Ancient Egyptians were black, and if this hand tries to deny that then I hope it goes the way of Exodus and Gods of Egypt.

No, they were not, at least not most of them. And don't conflate saying that Egyptians weren't black with saying they were white (which is what the films you mentioned did and) which is equally wrong. They were most likely neither. Some relevant reading material:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_Egypt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_race_controversy

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15694

(Unless you have some sort of non-standard definition of the term black as it pertains to ethnicity. But if you wouldn't class modern-day North African or Middle Eastern people as black, chances are you wouldn't class an average ancient Egyptian as black, either, if they stood in front of you.)

I wonder how they'll explain this in lore. The Assassins existed long before the Age of Caesar. He'll, they existed during the Human-Isu War.

5390724-tumblr_lvp2g9qzqy1qe7mie.gif

cackhyena

I don't agree with this being the first interesting one in a while...but there's ways to say it without sounding like an ass.

Toa TAK

Banned
My only fear here is that this game will fall into the trap of ACIII and Unity, and to a lesser extent, AC1: where this is a new game with an updated/new engine with new mechanics and a new foundation that are a bit glitchy and it isn't until the next game where it's ironed out and fully realized (ACIV, Syndicate, ACII).
I wonder how they'll explain this in lore. The Assassins existed long before the Age of Caesar. He'll, they existed during the Human-Isu War.
Right? It'll be pretty interesting. Hopefully it won't be a dumb reason for such things. (But George Lucas and Ridley Scott aren't here so we're okay).
LOL Perfect.

Top Bottom