• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

Ultima_5

So I have to sign up for GCU in-store? I have an bestbuy online account I think. Can I do it at the register or do I have to go to customer service? How's this work?

So I have to sign up for GCU in-store? I have an bestbuy online account I think. Can I do it at the register or do I have to go to customer service? How's this work?
In-store only. I confirmed that when I pre-ordered my console. You can use the membership online though.

nikos

Been hoping another GCU deal would come along.

Would I be able to purchase this with a game preorer if I paid it in full, or do I have to pick up a physical game the same day?

EDIT: Supposedly preorders don't work.

dugdug

Banned
This membership has served me well so far. Going tonight to trade in Forza Horizon 2 for $44, and, with my extra $5, I'll basically be getting Advanced Warfare for $1.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Would this membership be worth it if I plan to game primarily on PC? I'm planning to build a PC within the next month or two and I think I'll be doing most of my gaming there rather than on console.

seat

Once signed up for GCU, can you get the $10 bonus with 20% discount for online pre-orders with in-store pick-up? Or do you have to do pre-orders in-store to get the discount?

Palocca

Once signed up for GCU, can you get the $10 bonus with 20% discount for online pre-orders with in-store pick-up? Or do you have to do pre-orders in-store to get the discount?

You're eligible for the $10 bonuses when you order online as well.

I am really considering this deal, but it's tough since I'm really trying to stay all digital. I did just order a 2DS and this will probably be the only platform I won't mind having physical games for, but still debating this, it sounds like something good to take advantage of.

Damian.

Banned
I still have about 5 months left on the @Gamer digital subscription which gave me 12 months of GCU for $15. Will I be able to renew when the time comes for the same price, or will I get shifted onto this new 2 year $120 plan? If I can't do the digital mag sub which includes GCU anymore, could I go in today to extend my GCU for 2 years for $30?

quesalupa

Does anybody know/can check if controllers and preorders work with this? Also, can you get two games that equal $40? I'm pretty ready to jump on this deal but don't see anything I want that's out except stuff under $40.

I was able to get two years for like $30 a while back so now Best Buy is the only place I buy my games from now because of this program. Also I preorder games for my friends who disn't want to pay the $120 entry fee. That way I get the pre order $10 and BB points as well as getting it for them at 20% off. Awesome freaking program

Damian.

Banned
I am really considering this deal, but it's tough since I'm really trying to stay all digital. I did just order a 2DS and this will probably be the only platform I won't mind having physical games for, but still debating this, it sounds like something good to take advantage of.

This deal is reminding you of the uselessness of going all digital on a console. Why give money to Sony/MS/Nintendo when they are either going to make your games not work on the next console, or charge you a fee to make them work again? PC is the only logical choice to go all digital. Best Buy is helping you make the right decision. :)

gdt

Just got it. It took the discount off Bayonetta 2 right there so it only came out to $80. Holy shit.

How is Best Buy with shipping games on their launch days?

The closest Best Buy from me is about 40 min to 1 hour away depending on traffic, so I would rather order it online with the GCU instead of driving 2 hour round trips every time a game comes out.

newsguy

So now that it's extended to 11/8 I may have to get it with my purchase of advanced warfare as sunset overdrive looks like it may not end up being too good.

prateeko

Any suggestions for which game to get with this deal? I'd like to get it since I buy a lot new but not much on sale this week and not sure what will drop price soon or not...

So I blindly bought The Evil Within, on its release week, received a $10 gift card with it, didn't like it, traded in days later for $40.

Then went to get the GCU with Bayonetta 2, used the gift cards, received Bayo 2, the GCU for $30.84, pretty happy! Was very tempted to get Shadow Warrior for PS4 but held off.

How long is a game considered a new release for the 20% off though?

Ok, been part of the GCU for awhile now but I wasn't paying attention last night when I bought Fantasy Life and two Skylanders figures and didn't realize until I got home I bought them all for full price. Anyway to call and get some money back? Bought using credit as well.

How long is a game considered a new release for the 20% off though?

Pretty sure it's for anything new. No time limit.

Yup, I can't go digital because of this deal. Whatever because I save 20 bones every time and gain a physical copy out of it.

This deal is reminding you of the uselessness of going all digital on a console. Why give money to Sony/MS/Nintendo when they are either going to make your games not work on the next console, or charge you a fee to make them work again? PC is the only logical choice to go all digital. Best Buy is helping you make the right decision. :)

Hard to argue the facts. The more I mull over this deal, the more I see it as a no-brainer. Even with brand new games, they will never be discounted like physical copies on this program, and because I AM so frugal it's pretty rare that I buy brand new games to begin with. Even still, I have the option to trade back physical copies in the event the digital version goes on sale later, so yes. Yes, I'm gonna squelch it and just do this thing.

Just to make sure, I can also take advantage of 20% off new games through the website too? I thankfully have a handful of BestBuys around my home and job, but on occasion the games selection could be a tad small [mostly with Vita titles].

Brannon

Took advantage of this and got Bayonetta 2 as well. Dropped it to $48 before my rewards kicked in, dropping it to $28.

Which is awesome. AND it comes with Bayonetta 1, which I didn't know about so hell yes.

gaiages

Banned
So, does anyone know if the $30 deal will work with console purchases?

Or, alternatively, if the 20% will work on a new console purchase?

This is an awesome deal, and I'll take advantage of it regardless, but I'm seeing if I can take advantage of it all to get a nicely priced new PS3. :)

EDIT: Oh, looks like the 20% off is only for software. Makes sense, though.

Boogiepop

Got my store's last copy of Bayonetta 2 and the deal, even if it took them like 20-30 minutes to get it working right.

Just to ask again so I know: will this work on eShop cards or no?

Edit: Also, can I preorder to pick up in store, with the payment being at the time of pick up? Not saying that's what I'd always want to do but it'd be a nice option to have depending on the situation.

SnakeEyez

So I'm planning on picking up freedom wars on Tuesday which is $40 + tax which qualifies for this deal. I currently have the 20% off which would drop it to around 34, would that get me the $30 gcu deal? Or since it'll drop below $40 it's disqualified

New002

Got my store's last copy of Bayonetta 2 and the deal, even if it took them like 20-30 minutes to get it working right.

Just to ask again so I know: will this work on eShop cards or no?

Edit: Also, can I preorder to pick up in store, with the payment being at the time of pick up? Not saying that's what I'd always want to do but it'd be a nice option to have depending on the situation.

So from what I understand if you pre-order in-store then the GCU promo takes effect when you pick up your pre-order. Upon picking up your game they will take 20% off the retail price as well as subtract the $5 you already paid. Apparently you can't pay in full ahead of time and have this work?

I think for online pre-orders the 20% off is applied instantly as long as your are a GCU member at the time of purchase. If you become a GCU member after you have already pre-ordered online then you need to cancel your order and re-purchase it in order for the GCU promo to work.

robot

Was suprised to see that Amiibos qualify for 20% off.

Such an awesome prorgram, might actually stack my current sub with this deal.

Top Bottom