• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers will see a difference on Day One

harSon

Banned
I'd maybe believe this if COD looked as good as 99% of what others have shown on the Xbox One, but the exact opposite is true.

I'd honestly be shocked if CoD was one of the games that showed a difference. I don't think MS would be too happy about that given their partnership with Activision.

Me too. Especially given the engine they are using is just a revamped current gem model. Saying that, with Destiny popping up at the Sony conferences Activision seems to be hedging its bets.

NIGHT-

So what I'm hearing is PS4 CoD might actually look like a next gen game and not a 7th gen title?

Cool. Does anyone really care? All the CoD fans are going to buy it on Xbox One because "xbox has better gamers than playstation"

Ps4 will be the new 360 and attract all the cod gamers

Zushin

Especially if their internet goes out.

tumblr_lxpj6grFIe1qcaomb.gif

Ty4on

They have the same hardware except for a weaker GPU and slower RAM in the One. This really is why I never considered the One well before the DRM fiasco. We basically knew before the PS4 event that it would be significanly weaker and especially after with 8GB GDDR5.

Sethos

Banned
Eh, not the first time we've heard this sort of hyping up of one system over the other. Multiplats usually don't differ too much graphically. I'm expecting to see the real difference in exclusives.

Yes, multiplatforms differ when there's a significant performance difference. Xbox 360 vs PS3 was an extremely close race where the difference was quite small, however 360 won out a lot more whereas the PS3 won on the exclusive front. However the Xbone and PS4 are based on x86 architecture with common specs so they are easy to measure on paper and on said paper, the Xbone is getting ... boned.

They have the same hardware except for a weaker GPU and slower RAM in the One. This really is why I never considered the One well before the DRM fiasco. We basically knew before the PS4 event that it would be significanly weaker and especially after with 8GB GDDR5.

The weaker gpu will hurt more than the lower bw ram , Esram helping a bit.

The main problem is a computationally weak gpu.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

This.

Yes, multiplatforms differ when there's a significant performance difference. Xbox 360 vs PS3 was an extremely close race where the difference was quite small, however 360 won out a lot more whereas the PS3 won on the exclusive front. However the Xbone and PS4 are based on x86 architecture with common specs so they are easy to measure on paper and on said paper, the Xbone is getting ... boned.

Yeah, Xbox vs GameCube vs PS2 was very significant. Games like Splinter Cell were worlds apart.

Durante

Watch_Dogs and Battlefield 4 will be the ones to watch.
The next COD just looks bad period.
The most interesting thing to look forward to for me is a 5-way BF4 platform comparison.

I think it will greatly clarify things.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Also a very interesting quote from that article:

Forbes said:
This processing power issue also could be a potential reason behind the latest controversy that has emerged for Microsoft at E3, in which photos were taken of some Xbox One games running on Windows 7 PCs with NVIDIA graphics cards. Sony PS4 developers took to Twitter saying PS4 demos were running on PS4 dev kits. I know playing PS4 games behind closed doors that the PS4 was clearly visible as I played.

In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

Sweet music to my ears.

Unless the developer was working on CoD he has no idea how the two versions will compare with one another.

The first thought that came to my mind was "the anonymous dev clearly works on COD".

Ty4on

The weaker gpu will hurt more than the lower bw ram , Esram helping a bit.

The main problem is a computationally weak gpu.
But it's so small! I'm no developer and have very little knowledge about it, but I have a problem seeing how much the ESRAM can help when compared to the eight faster gigabytes in the PS4.

DF made a perfect summary here before the PS4 event and virtually everything (apart from 8GB GDDR5 which was a surprise to even the devs) has been confirmed. The One might be even weaker if the GPU is downclocked.

Toxa

more

In the past, Xbox 360 games looked better out of the gate and over time PS3 games progressively improved to the point where games like The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls stand out even against some next gen titles. But if this differentiator holds true, not only will Xbox One games have DRM issues and no rental options and limited used game opportunities, the games won’t look as good as PS4 titles. That sounds like a perfect storm of negativity for the hardcore gamers.
This processing power issue also could be a potential reason behind the latest controversy that has emerged for Microsoft at E3, in which photos were taken of some Xbox One games running on Windows 7 PCs with NVIDIA graphics cards. Sony PS4 developers took to Twitter saying PS4 demos were running on PS4 dev kits. I know playing PS4 games behind closed doors that the PS4 was clearly visible as I played.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Let me explain where the 40% figure comes from before people start to get confused over math again.

Ps4 cpu plus gpu: 0.2+1.8=2 tflops

XBone cpu plus gpu: 0.2+1.2=1.4tflops

Ps4/XBone : 2/1.4=1.43

Hence the ps4 is approximately 40% more powerful in computational performance. This is completely in line with 50 percent more powerful gpu, and does not take into account things like bandwidth differences and ram, which makes the comparison even more in favour of the ps4.

turnbuckle

Even if I end up getting a XB1 at some point I fully expect to be buying my multi-platforms on the PS4. Quite the departure from this gen - I think I bought every multi-platform game on the 360.

I also don't expect the first or 2nd wave of multi-platforms to be significantly better one way or the other. I remember last gen a lot of the games early on were little more than high res and slightly cleaned up versions of Xbox/PS2 games. There'll be exceptions of course.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As a buyer of both, unless I see evidence to the contrary I'll be pre-ordering my third party launch games for PS4. Get on the case, Digital Foundry.

There's also hard evidence and known fact that PS4 is a good amount more powerful thant Xbone. 40% seems like a lot unless that is minimal but it's still a gap.

Roto13

The capitalized "Day One" made me think that's what Microsoft was calling the Xbone release date.

It probably will be.

Mokubba

First post does it again.

There was definitely a visual difference at E3. I just hope multiplatform games take the differences into consideration. We did see a good amount of demos on PS4 so maybe that bodes well.

Really? On what games did you see the difference?

lantus

Oh man, I wonder if the comparison videos will be just as bad as the 360 vs. PS3 videos at the beginning of this gen. Those were pretty horrific.

Man

I really can't wait for the launch comparisons. It's going to be another trainwreck for Microsoft.

Thorgal

There was definitely a visual difference at E3. I just hope multiplatform games take the differences into consideration. We did see a good amount of demos on PS4 so maybe that bodes well.

do you have any examples What you noticed at E3 ?

running smoother .better visual effects . perhaps even a picture of both to compare ?( doubtfull)

prwxv3

It was a good sign that most games at the third party press conferences were played on ps4. Last gen most games were played on 360 at e3

Metfanant

I'd honestly be shocked if CoD was one of the games that showed a difference. I don't think MS would be too happy about that given their partnership with Activision.

Even if they keep all of the game's assets (textures, effects, etc..) the same, youre still going to see the "proof" in the framerate. Even though I expect both of these consoles to be closer to a solid, steady, locked 60fps there will still be times when you have dropped or torn frames...

in those cases the PS4 will handle those situations significantly better...

now the flipside is that the games are gimped enough so that literally performance is the same...in THAT case you will see exclusive titles on the PS4 absolutely obliterate third party multiplats in visuals...im not sure that developers/publishers will let that fly for too long...it will seriously hurt their reputations...

Multiplats didn't differ too much on the PS360, but this time we have two extremely similar architectures, one of which is considerably more powerful. There will be differences.

there was enough difference on the PS360 to get me to buy CoD for instance on the 360...the differences might not be HUGE, but if you put MOST multiplat games side by side the 360 was generally sharper, better textures, slightly better effects, better framerate, etc...

minor advantages in each category add up..

gogogow

With the PS4 being more powerful this only means that devs won't use the extra horsepower. It's like the extra BD space and PS3 games still got the low bitrate, artifacted cutscenes. Unless devs are going to switch to the PS4 as lead platform.

I hope this is true, I been waiting for this day since I first heard MS going all online and other stupid shit. Cant wait to see PS beats the shit out of Crapbox.

goooo gooo PS4!

Top Bottom