• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers will see a difference on Day One

Durante

Unless its 1080p vs 720p or 30 vs 60 the difference will be negligible.
That's a very subjective judgement.

E.g. a game maintaining a solid 30 FPS vs. one dropping dow to ~25 intermittently could make a significant difference in playability, and is entirely within the range of what could reasonably be expected.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
do you have any examples What you noticed at E3 ?

running smoother .better visual effects . perhaps even a picture of both to compare ?( doubtfull)

Visual fidelity was the most notable to me. Even from just being present at both press conferences, right away it seemed like the PS4 stuff was in another tier.

AA methods can make a very noticeable difference to IQ but maybe not to average consumers. I also think the amount of effort being spent on optimizing the Xbox One build will be dictated by market share. For example, if they count for a large percentage, devs will probably find alternatives to features that perform poorly on the hardware, if the numbers are bad they could just disable those features and move on. I think everything is exacerbated if they are far behind in market share.

Bombless

Especially if their internet goes out.

Was going to post this. So far every single always-on game has had server issues on day One. I can't imagine a console launch being any different (wouldn't be suprised if the staggered world release is planned in part because of this).

For the record, I hope the D3/SimCity debacle doesn't happen to Xbone users.

OverHeat

« generous god »

E.g. a game maintaining a solid 30 FPS vs. one dropping dow to ~25 intermittently could make a significant difference in playability, and is entirely within the range of what could reasonably be expected.
Digital foundry will decided on what platform I buy my multi-platform games. My guess 95% off the time it's gonna be the PS4 version.

On day one though? Xbox One is weaker but we're still talking about a bunch of cross gen games here.

aganu

jose-mourinho_1582815c.jpg

The difference wasn't big this gen but it definitely played a role in how 360 perceived and it being the console for multiplatform games. With the gap getting wider next gen, I expect the same if not more (in favor of PS4).

Pungza

Bit OT, but has UE4 been confirmed for Xbox? UE3 was used a lot this gen, and they were saying how they wanted something like 2 tflops from consoles for the next version

Thorgal

Visual fidelity was the most notable to me. Even from just being present at both press conferences, right away it seemed like the PS4 stuff was in another tier.

Well if games can look like this on PS4 And X1 has nothing that comes even close to that then there is no reason to not believe it

image_the_dark_sorcer3kav6.jpg

Still i wish there was a comparrison shot of a multiplatform title out there so we can have absolute proof .

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Still i wish there was a comparrison shot of a multiplatform title out there so we can have absolute proof .

Won't matter. People who wave away the obvious benefit of having a GPU of the same manufacturer and same generation, but with 50% more compute units, 100% more ROPs, and significantly more bandwidth, will also wave away comparison shots with "won't notice that during gameplay".

kitch9

Banned
With the PS4 being more powerful this only means that devs won't use the extra horsepower. It's like the extra BD space and PS3 games still got the low bitrate, artifacted cutscenes. Unless devs are going to switch to the PS4 as lead platform.

Do you talk bollocks often?

Won't matter. People who wave away the obvious benefit of having a GPU of the same manufacturer and same generation, but with 50% more compute units, 100% more ROPs, and significantly more bandwidth, will also wave away comparison shots with "won't notice that during gameplay".

That's because the average person has no idea what compute units and ROPs are. Hell a lot of the people here aren't familiar with those terms. So there needs to be hard visual proof that one version is significantly better than the other.

Well if games can look like this on PS4 And X1 has nothing that comes even close to that then there is no reason to not believe it

image_the_dark_sorcer3kav6.jpg

Quantum break's faces looks pretty damn good man.

it's not 1080p, it not 60 fps but I see a difference

RE4%20Comp%2007.jpg

If you're expecting a almost night and day difference between these consoles when it comes to multiplats, you're gonna be disappointed.

Dany

Banned
I'm sorry are they saying they they will make their games look worse on the PS4 just to support hte xbox one and its DRM policies. What horseshit. Have we ever seen that?

Even if I end up getting a XB1 at some point I fully expect to be buying my multi-platforms on the PS4. Quite the departure from this gen - I think I bought every multi-platform game on the 360.

I also don't expect the first or 2nd wave of multi-platforms to be significantly better one way or the other. I remember last gen a lot of the games early on were little more than high res and slightly cleaned up versions of Xbox/PS2 games. There'll be exceptions of course.

Because the 360 and especially the PS3 were pretty exotic architectures that took time for developers to get to grips with. This gen we're looking at essentially PCs, so I think we'll see the differences right away.

CrunchyB

If you're expecting a almost night and day difference between these consoles when it comes to multiplats, you're gonna be disappointed.

I wonder if western publishers will go to great lengths to get the XBone version up to par. And phone in the PS4 version, not really using the added performance. Microsoft of course using incentives/bribes to get this done.

But no reasonabke amount of money hats will save MS if the PS4 pulls ahead by a large margin. Things will get very interesting :)

RetroStu

Banned
Am i the only one that just doesn't see it with Destiny?, it looked like a game from this gen imo and there are far better PS4 games to use in this argument like Infamous and Killzone for example.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With technology so similar between Xbox One and PS4, isn't it safe to assume PS4 ports won't require contortions to take advantage of the hardware?

PJV3

Unless the Xbox1 comes with a cryptic condiment, I can see the PS4 pissing over it from a great height.

Yup, only Xbone game that impressed me graphically. The woman looked a bit creepy, but the main dude was pretty convincing. Especially at the beginning. Sorcerer still beats it, but not by much. Probably expected, since QD has way more staff than Remedy.

Overall pretty impressive what Remedy was able to do, since they are quite small. A good step up from the horrendous faces in Alan Wake.

Tobor

Hopefully sales go like we're all hoping they do, and PS4 grows a big lead.

I want to see PS4 as lead platform for multiplats.

Ding-Ding

I wonder if western publishers will go to great lengths to get the XBone version up to par. And phone in the PS4 version, not really using the added performance. Microsoft of course using incentives/bribes to get this done.

But no reasonabke amount of money hats will save MS if the PS4 pulls ahead by a large margin. Things will get very interesting :)

Dont see that happening. If third parties see easy to use resources, they will always take advantage of them.

Why, they dont really give a crap about the console wars. What they care about is looking inferior to other games as it may hurt their sales.

It does make sense if the game development for the Xbox One is bad at the moment. Xbox has announced that their new console will run 3 Operating Systems simultaneously, and the Xbox One games don't even run on the main OS, but instead on their own dedicated OS.

I'm guessing that's probably their main problem because man, that sounds hellish to optimise for. Hopefully they manage to smooth the wrinkles from their system before November.

I want to see PS4 as lead platform for multiplats.
Based on the architecture itself, prototyping should be easier on PS4 and Mark Cerny put some emphasis on that specific point. The single 8GB GDDR5 ram pool seems more straightforward to address than the 8GB DDR3+32MB ESRAM. For that reason, even without talking about performances, I can see the PS4 being the lead for multiplatform development.

I'm not expecting huge differences though, except if the PS4 storms the gaming market like PS2 did. I only expect more overall stable performances ingame which is already something great..

Top Bottom