• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Impressions from the show floor.

Irish

It seems like all of the impressions from the DS4 come from people that didn't like the DS3 at all. So it's kinda making me concerned since i'm someone that really likes that controller.

Yeah, I have this same concern as well. I have relatively tiny hands and the DS3 just feels perfect in them. I don't want to feel like I have to stretch my fingers out while using the DS4.

kuppy

Just saw that in my youtube feed: Gamescom '13 Show Floor Tour

Reminds me so much of the years I was going. The press day really is embarrassing, so many people just aren't related to the industry but still have the right to be there.
Those throwaway booths explode when the convention is open for everyone, I hope they do another video on saturday, could be funny.

gamescom needs to get more serious, maybe then Microsoft would start to give a f and do a real press conference.

Just came home from a long day at gamescom.
Very exhausting..

Played:

Forza 5
Drive Club
The Crew
Assassins Creed 4
Need for speed
Knack
Elder Scrolls online

Also saw Destiny being played.

New Controllers are great - PS4 controller is my favorite out of the 2.

Posted some Drive Club impressions in the driveclub thread.

Overall i had the most fun with Assassins Creed.

How was NFS?

DS4 feedback sounds amazing :)

Having played on a 360 for a while before I went PS3 exclusive, I can say I hated the DS3. It was one my reservations regarding PS4.

Did anybody get to see The Witcher 3? I couldn't get a spot, every demonstration was fully booked.:(

As an aside, Dark Souls II is really good, based on what I played.

Spitz

Just forgot my biggest letdown of Gamescom so far is Rare after seeing how awesome Kinect Sports Rivals looked that they are tied to Kinect only Games. The Jetski Demo looked ace and would make an awesome Wave Race sequel. A Action Adventure like Kameo or a new Banjo Game would blow my mind.

Alx

Fighter Within: looks crisp, plays like shit. Maybe the room where it is demoed is too dark, it is a Kinekt based game. Does Kinekt use IR light to be independent from the lightning conditions in the room? I don't know

Kinect works by emitting IR light, so it should be independent from the lighting, unless the lighting itself has a lot of IR that would drown the signal (like natural sunlight or halogen lamps).

I'd like to know more about the game by the way (seriously). Is there the equivalent of a move list for the characters ? How does defense work ? And what didn't you like, was it lag, did you have gestures non recognized, was it boring ?

Bah, did I miss it? Right.

Driveclub looks very good. Graphically you can not really complain, this looked better than GT6 on PS3 across the hall, no doubt. The cosmetic damage is in, scratches and deformations look good. There is a lot of stuff happening beyond the track. I did not completely get controls, they are not arcadey and not really simulation. Hard to get used to. But I see how the challenges can be fun when playing with friends. Glad that this will be in PS+ offering so I do not need to decide about buying it now.

Back at E3 I had the same observation about DriveClub's controls. It feels geared towards Arcade style but it isn't responsive enough yet. Maybe the latest build is more focused on visuals.

Kinan

Were you able to sample remote play at all, OP?

no, there were no remote play demos im afraid. btw this pets game on vita is crap. controls really sucks and IQ is like it is on 3ds. tearaway, on the other hand , is really charming and full of style.

Ok, I'm really out. Gonna dream about those amazing wet asphalt textures in Infamous. With realtime reflections. Mmmm.

Lima

Both are great, but I liked the DS4 better.
(I played this gen almost exclusively on 360..)

This seems to be thing though across many gamers. All four of us liked the DS4 better even though we think the 360 controller is pretty much perfect apart from the dpad. It's like I'm living in bizarro land where the DS4 is good and the one controller is so-so.

I attended Witcher 3. Will post full impression when home.

Best game of gamescom for me fo sho.

Is this only available to the press? Seems like there is just a t-shirt stand in hall 9. If not please tell me where it is.

Zero148

Kinect works by emitting IR light, so it should be independent from the lighting, unless the lighting itself has a lot of IR that would drown the signal (like natural sunlight or halogen lamps).

I'd like to know more about the game by the way (seriously). Is there the equivalent of a move list for the characters ? How does defense work ? And what didn't you like, was it lag, did you have gestures non recognized, was it boring ?

we got a small introduction with some moves, like grapling (didn't work for me, but the Ubi woman did it so this was propably me), punches, kicks. You just do it and the kinekt recognizes which arm or leg is being used. If you lean back, you can dodge and with leaning forward your charakter moves forward. Somehow it is possible to dodge sideway, don't know how. Made it one time by mistake, the Ubi woman told me before I played it would be a 2D only fighter , but that seems wrong.

You can block attacks by holding your arms in front of you like all the fighting games charakters do it in the games, or real boxers. Also if you put your arms up, you can fill a special bar to do some awesome attacks. The game also recognizes when you are going into your knees.Doing multiple punches and kicks in a row results in a combo.

In theory it should work, but it seems like you have to do the gestures exactly like the game intended. Often my charakter didn't move forward when I leaned forward, grappling didn't work. Also there is a really noticable lag when doing your attacks. I won my first match against the Ubisoft woman, but lost the second and third. Somehow doing randomly fast punches gave her the edge, but I wanted to do some controlled attacks and did not really have a chance.

It wasn't really boring, but I don't see it working as a decent fighter in its current state (this can change, potential is there). Was fun for one round, but didn't really feel the need for another try after playing it. Also the game crashed once while a friend of mine was playing.

A cool feature was the ability to take sticks as weapons from the ground or use a pole for a pole round kick. But myself did not do this move, but it was used against me.

In comparism, the 7 year ols Wii Sports boxing felt like more control over your charakter. but of course you can't do kicks there. The blocking is actually quite similar.

Dawg

This seems to be thing though across many gamers. All four of us liked the DS4 better even though we think the 360 controller is pretty much perfect apart from the dpad. It's like I'm living in bizarro land where the DS4 is good and the one controller is so-so.

Is this only available to the press? Seems like there is just a t-shirt stand in hall 9. If not please tell me where it is.

Yes, it's in business area 4.1

Received a 1500pcs puzzle of Geralt as well :p

cchum

Did anyone see/play Vice City? I know it was there, possibly in a secret room or something. But you can tell me all about :).

image.php

MercuryLS

Banned

Crazy, it's so great to see that Sony nailed the controller. It's always been the weakest part of PS consoles for me.

Top Bottom