• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Why I'm not excited for Forza Motorsport 6

stay gold

Gran Turismo takes its sweet ass time and makes a sweet ass game that feel really special when you play it EVEN if it's actually not that great. Forza should definitely go into 2 games per generation.

Forza is equal to GT in quality despite more frequent releases. GT releases are 2 per gen due to shoddy project management, not choice.

Gestault

Gran Turismo takes its sweet ass time and makes a sweet ass game that feel really special when you play it EVEN if it's actually not that great. Forza should definitely go into 2 games per generation.

It sounds like your enjoyment comes from something unrelated to the content of the games.

My biggest disappointment with Forza Motorsport 5 is that they left out a bunch of great tracks from 3 and 4.

It makes the career mode very tedious, because after a while, you just find yourself racing on the same tracks over and over again.

But other than that, It's still a damn good racer.

The new tracks blew away the old though. Spa, Long Beach, Bathurst and finally a Nurburgring to be proud of.

Everybody misses Suzuka and Alps should never have returned over Camino Viejo but all in all it turned out to be a decent bunch of tracks, blame the career mode for making it a slog.

Crayon

Relatively few people appreciate the nuances of circuit racing. A serious event like F1 or Nascar is boring to a casual observer. Now that the technology is available to produce free roaming racing games, I am not surprised that colladoodies, game journalists, children, drunks and peasants in general would prefer things that way. I think there's enough true enthusiasts out there to support good simulators in some form so I won't lose any sleep. Okay I'm salty.

sam777

Not sure how a game can be special but not great at the same time. Surely a game must be pretty good to feel somewhat special.

In my opinion both GT5 and 6 were both not very good considering the amount of time it takes to make them (6 especially).

FX-GMC

I much prefer circuits over open world myself.

I agree, though I don't expect that many people are like me and will spend days working on a setup for a specific track and modifying my racing lines to shave tenths off my fastest lap.

Such a good feeling when you hit your goal lap time.

Synth

This bullshit needs to stop. Open world racing games SUCK. You can't design tracks that are as fun to race on in an open world compared to original tracks. Having to drive places between races is awful. Ugh fuck... I love the racing genre and hate that with the limited number of racing games we get these days that they're being ruined by this shit.

You realise we kinda live in an open world right?...

Yup. All console games are designed as easy power fantasies with guaranteed winning in single player. Once this is seen, they become kinda boring. Critics do love these types of games as they have to play so many shitty videogames, anything with skill checks is going to piss them off.

Then disable rewind, turn the difficulty up, and leave simulation damage on. There's no reason to hate that other players that may not have time or ability to excel at racers are still able to enjoy themselves. You can make any Forza game just as skill reliant (or moreso) than Driveclub if you choose to.

A good judge does not add personal feelings to the equation. This guy does not like sims or anything close to it. Shit he may not like racing games;either way he injected his feelings into the review.

Opinions are basically all you can judge games off. Other than "this game run at this resolution/fps, has this number of tracks and doesn't crash" there's not a whole lot you can be objective on when it comes to gaming. You're basically arguing that every game that isn't broken achieve a perfect mark, as it is potentially someone's game of the forever.

NeoGIF

The new tracks blew away the old though. Spa, Long Beach, Bathurst and finally a Nurburgring to be proud of.

Everybody misses Suzuka and Alps should never have returned over Camino Viejo but all in all it turned out to be a decent bunch of tracks, blame the career mode for making it a slog.

Yeah, the new tracks are great, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Prague!

But I agree with you that they should've brought back Camino Viejo. It was definitely one of my favorites.

It's even still hard to believe that they left out the Fujimi, Japan race track.

KingJ2002

Sounds like a guy who loves NFL Blitz over Madden NFL

or NBA Jam over NBA 2K

both titles are aimed at fans of the genre... but different segments.

the problem i have with that video is how it will be misinterpreted as track based racers are a "thing of the past".

That same notion which almost crushed the fighting genre when someone decided all fighting games must be 3D with a 8 way movement system.. because... ya know... street fighter was so much better with it.

LilJoka

The only valid point was the end, where he says with games like Assetto Corsa and PCars out/coming, Forza 6 needs to do something very special. The only advantage it has is the car upgrade system. On PC not much of an issue though.

QaaQer

Action games like the Souls series, strategy games like XCom and Fire Emblem, indie titles like Spelunky and Meatboy, even 6th gen games like Ninja Gaiden were celebrated in the press for those exact reasons. Your assertion about how reviewers are is at odds with the overall pattern of how games are reviewed. I understand the idea that since they're time limited, they'll want to blow through games, but I haven't seen that reflect in actual quality claims.

Not sure about xcom, no easy mode and reviewers liked it?

Fire emblem has easy mode + game breaking dlc

Spleunky + meat boy are not retail console games

Ninja gaiden is old

Single player retail console games cannot have real skill checks and be successful in 2015.

As to the bolded, the poster boy is W101.

QaaQer

I don't understand why anyone has an issue with rewind in a racing game. Don't like? Don't use it. Hell, in Forza Motorsport, you can turn it off in the menu. Anyone that uses it in FM has it affect their lap time anyway.

You want unlimited saves in dark souls? Easy mode?

Something like rewind fundamentally changes a game, just like save anywhere and being able to toggle difficulty. It just does.

tuna_love

Banned
You want unlimited saves in dark souls? Easy mode?

Something like rewind fundamentally changes a game, just like save anywhere and being able to toggle difficulty. It just does.
I wasn't aware dark souls didn't already have unlimited saves. Rewind fundamentally changes a game. Even when turned off? Oh it just does, ok.

Gestault

Not sure about xcom, no easy mode and reviewers liked it?

Fire emblem has easy mode + game breaking dlc

Spleunky + meat boy are not retail console games

Ninja gaiden is old

Single player retail console games cannot have real skill checks and be successful in 2015.

As to the bolded, the poster boy is W101.

I hope at some point you recognize how insincere you're being. Any answer I gave you, you would have discounted, no matter if it was a rational or irrational counterpoint on your part. You're conflating retail success with critical success. Thanks for wasting my time.

QaaQer

I wasn't aware dark souls didn't already have unlimited saves. Rewind fundamentally changes a game. Even when turned off? Oh it just does, ok.

Let me rephrase, it fundamentally changes the game for me because when I get frustrated or ragequit, instead of having to decide to quit or suck it up and soldier on, I engage the official cheat mode the designers put in the game. Challenge adverted.

Maybe I'm weird in that I'll use all the tools the designers give me to beat their games even if it renders the gameplay dull.

QaaQer

I hope at some point you recognize how insincere you're being. Any answer I gave you, you would have discounted, no matter if it was a rational or irrational counterpoint on your part. You're conflating retail success with critical success. Thanks for wasting my time.

I asked for a recent single player retail console game with a real skill check with critical praise. :shrug:

virtualS

I'm sorry but simulation will always be a thing. There are 'fantasy' car games and then there are simulators for guys who love cars and tracks and true to life physics.

I read Eurogamer's Atesso Corsa review this morning and couldn't be more excited for a 'game'. Some people need to drive through corn fields spurred on by an enthusiastic commentator as they consult a map to find their next point of interest for a driving game to have 'soul'.

I belong very much to the less is more school of thought. Give me one car that handles, looks and sounds just like it does in real life on one real-world track and I'll have much more fun than all the corn fields and mountainous passes and radical commentators and forgiving floaty physics could ever allow.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is why i'm not excited for gamespot. what a stupid click-bait, bullshit video.

The only valid point was the end, where he says with games like Assetto Corsa and PCars out/coming, Forza 6 needs to do something very special. The only advantage it has is the car upgrade system. On PC not much of an issue though.

it also has a livery editor and auction house and is a more accessible sim than the other titles you mention.

nasanu

Banned
Should be interesting to see the review score for project cars...

By the time it releases this whole thing might have come full circle. Reviews these days are just statements of fashion after all. It might be praised for its purity and lack of game nonsense.

GHG

Should be interesting to see the review score for project cars...

Who cares what this chump and the rest of the mainstream press have to say about the game? They won't appreciate it for what it is and will spend time in their reviews bitching about what it isn't. That is not how you review a product.

The only opinion that matters for racing games in Inside Sim Racing's. These guys know what they are talking about when it comes to racing games and will give each game a fair shake rather than pander to publishers or be controversial just for a few extra hits.

Synth

And your point is?

You seriously need it explained?

You can create any track from any racer in an open world game if you really wanted to. You could turn right at some point and down the road could be a Trackmania course. Open world doesn't place limitations on track design.

The whole "I don't like open world racers because I'd rather have deliberately designed tracks rather than random points" is bullshit. You can (and people do) create designed tracks in an open world setting. This is true even if you didn't actually design the world they're set in. That's all Project Gotham (the game everyone seems to revere) is after all.

FordGTGuy

Banned
You seriously need it explained?

You can create any track from any racer in an open world game if you really wanted to. You could turn right at some point and down the road could be a Trackmania course. Open world doesn't place limitations on track design.

The whole "I don't like open world racers because I'd rather have deliberately designed tracks rather than random points" is bullshit. You can (and people do) create designed tracks in an open world setting. This is true even if you didn't actually design the world they're set in. That's all Project Gotham (the game everyone seems to revere) is after all.

This would never match what it feels like to drive a laser-scanned Nurburgring or Hockenheim.

Why would they make a big deal out of announcing a game that is announced like clockwork every two years?

He complains about the game because they didn't show the game. Sounds reasonable.

It's a teaser, most studios don't show the game in the first teaser.

Synth

This would never match what it feels like to drive a laser-scanned Nurburgring or Hockenheim.

Why? What stops them sticking that laser-scanned Nurburgring in the middle of their open world? That's how it is IRL. The track exists surrounded by the world around it.

i agree with the Gamespot video. Forza Horizon 2 is a blast, its all about fast cars, nice vistas and racing friends in absurd competitions. on the other hand the simulator style races and closed circuit courses of the mainline Forza series doesnt do anything for me anymore after having as much fun as i did with Horizon 2. racing a a varity of cars against my friends on the backroads of southern Italy and then going offroad to an open field to play infection or just explore is infinitely more fun to me than racing them on some closed course and doing repetitive lapse.

i used to like the mainline Forza games a lot and wasn't a big fan of the first Forza Horizon, but Forza Horizon 2 really changed that. i just cant see myself going back to the circuit races and sterility of the simulator style racers. im definitely going to pass on Forza 6 until it hits $20 or lower. i can see the Forza Horizon series becoming the more popular of the two series, its just more "fun" and social imo.

Colombo

Why do sites do articles like this? I know it's an opinion piece but considering that Forza Motorsport 6 will almost certainly be followed by Forza Horizon 3, what's the point of something of this?

Btw, I myself decided I prefer the arcade style of Horizon but the industry deserves to have great sims like FM too!

Top Bottom